Booking a family of four

Nickles

Hello!

It's been awhile since I've been here. We cruised the Oasis back in May 2012. My husband and I loved it so much, we are thinking of booking the Allure in 2015 with our girls as well (it'll take us about 2 years to save for it).

Just looking for experiences that others may have had. Is a balcony room doable for a family of four? Occupying the room will be my girls, ages 8 and 11, and my husband and I. Or is it better to book two adjoining rooms? Booking 2 rooms will be about $1200 more, but I'm thinking it may be worth it so we aren't tripping all over each other.

Any experiences with 4 people in a room (not a suite)?

We are booked on the Allure for March and decided to go with two connecting boardwalk balcony rooms for our family of four (with two boys, 8 and 9) to have the extra space. Our boys are so excited to have their own room, as we are normal squeezed into one room together. Although we do prefer the oceanview balconies, the boardwalk balconies allow you the chance to have something to look at, and you can see the ocean from the balconies. And they are less expensive. It helped us that we are using our Royal Caribbean Visa points to bring the cost down. One cabin for all four is doable, but it will be very tight. How much time will you really spend in the room anyway though? It's really up to you whether the extra cost is worth the extra space.

I don't have experience with four of us in one cabin as we've always booked connecting cabins. We tend to book interior or Promenade cabins, so the cost isn't as high, and the difference between four of us in one cabin versus two cabins is minimal for inside cabins. I will say that the thought of four of us trying to share a bathroom helped push us in favor of going with two cabins. :)

I did want to suggest another option for you. If you were to book two cabins and they didn't have to be connecting, you could book a balcony cabin for yourselves and an inside cabin across the hallway for your girls. That would be much cheaper and is an arrangement that is allowed by Royal Caribbean.

When we first began cruising in the 1990s we took our two kids, boy and a girl, (in college) on the Majesty - smallest of small cabins! We shared an inside cabin for four of us! So, yes, it is doable!

We had a lot of laughs, wonderful memories to look back on, but it was not easy! The guys often showered in the workout area to free up the bathroom for the ladies. We survived - as I said shared a lot of memories and good laughs. When I look at those inside cabins now I don't know how we did it. At the time it was all we could afford, and we wanted to share a cruise with the kids.

So, yes, it can be done, especially with younger kids. I think it is up to everyone to decide what they can or cannot afford and go from there.

Although I have no first hand experience, [on Allure] but, Allure has family staterooms not in a suite catagory. Family interior, family ocean view, and family ocean view with a balcony. sometimes you need more then four to book these but if using a travel agent, they may be able to help you or just try and give Royal a call.

We usually put four into one cabin, but we are also used to camping in our RV which can be cramped at times depending on how many people camp with us. It also helps that we have two boys and the fact that I'm the only woman probably makes a difference. Girls bring more stuff.

We do what makes more sense financially. When the price is close, we book two cabins, when the difference is substantial, we book a cabin with 4 people. I just try to stay away from the sofa bed as it's not as comfy for the two boys to sleep on that. It wasn't so bad when they were younger, but now they need their own bed.

Dorothy

Hello!

It's been awhile since I've been here. We cruised the Oasis back in May 2012. My husband and I loved it so much, we are thinking of booking the Allure in 2015 with our girls as well (it'll take us about 2 years to save for it).

Just looking for experiences that others may have had. Is a balcony room doable for a family of four? Occupying the room will be my girls, ages 8 and 11, and my husband and I. Or is it better to book two adjoining rooms? Booking 2 rooms will be about $1200 more, but I'm thinking it may be worth it so we aren't tripping all over each other.

Any experiences with 4 people in a room (not a suite)?

We have done both, not on Allure, but on many other ships. Over Christmas we all shared a cabin on Solstice (due to expense on Xmas cruise), doable but I'm definitely looking forward to our connecting cabins on Oasis. Did we have a few words over the 12 nights :eek:!

The bathroom tends to be the sticking point as we don't spend that much time in the cabin. It's a nightmare when you're all trying to get ready for the same time (well it is in our cabin and I don't have girls) :eek::eek:. Sometimes, it's not that much more to have 2 cabins than it is one. Check the price of the third and fourth person and see if the rate is much different (I know the CP and BW balconies aren't that much more than 3rd & 4th rate for some weeks, especially if there is OBC to take into consideration i.e. two OBCs as opposed to one).

We have done both allure and oasis with two kids in tow. Both times we did a D4 ocean view balcony marked with a diamond on the ships plan. Basically that means you get a folding couch and a pull down that comes down from the ceiling. Very comfy for both kids and only opened at night so doesn't compromise room size. Bathroom really wasn't a big deal and its less expensive than two rooms. Kids will be teenagers on our next trip so getting them their own room this time so hubby and I get some privacy. Kids will have inside room with Central Park view window, about $800 more than having them in our room.

We have two children and shared a cabin when they were small; however, once they got to be 8 & 10 we've been getting connecting D4 balcony cabins. We love the opportunity to have "adult" time, 2 bathrooms, 2 TV's and 2 balconies (which also connect). Another plus is that when the kids throw their things all over the room, all you need to do is close the door and not have to step (or trip) over them.

I say go for connecting rooms, having rooms across the hallway is an option, however, we like having the kids close by, sometimes the only time we get to see them is in the cabin!

Either way, enjoy your cruise, we've sailed both Allure and Oasis they are wonderful FUN ships (and really, not that crowded!) :)

Archived