new gratuities charges

davecttr

Well said Cristaltips.

I wish more people shared your attitude to tips.

Having a family member working for P&O I obviously get to hear all the stories !

It beggars belief the lengths some people go to to get out of paying tips.

The favourite I understand is to remove tips at the beginning of the cruise, telling everyone you will tip on the final night of the cruise and then MISS dinner the last night and eat in one of the speciality restaurants or the Buffet. It is for your conscience only to decide whether this is acceptable behaviour. I think it is disgusting to do this when the staff work so hard.

I for one think tips should be mandatory! Perhaps the time has come for them to be part of the initial holiday cost.

I have seen it all first hand. I dont walk around blind to my surroundings on a cruise. I think the extent of the non tipping passengers is far greater than what you think. I would probably be willing to bet money that the majority are against it or tip lower than expected.

Why else would it be introduced and then the charges increased.

The charges are only increased to compensate for others opting out.

We've recently come off Ventura where we had Freedom Dining.

We always leave the auto tips on - these people work their socks off to ensure we all have a good holiday AND they're away from home for months on end.I really don't begrudge them a penny of it.

We also gave our cabin steward a tip as she was really good

Ditto.

I consider the auto tip as fair recognition of the service I expect. If someone provides service better than the norm I top it up in cash to the individual concerned.

According to P&O, auto tips were introduced because passengers were increasingly "forgetting" to leave any.

Ditto.

I consider the auto tip as fair recognition of the service I expect. If someone provides service better than the norm I top it up in cash to the individual concerned.

According to P&O, auto tips were introduced because passengers were increasingly "forgetting" to leave any.

The away from home and family sob story does not work with me. I was in the Navy and they do it tougher. There used to be a saying in the Navy called "dry your eyes princess" Not only do they go months without seeing family but they have communication blackouts as well.

Then again how do you feel for all the people on cargo and container and oil ships working just as hard.

I reiterate what I said first off. The vast majority of people who cruise are against it. People who hold off for:

• cheaper cabins
  • onboard credit
  • look for cheap flights
  • book cheap holiday inn hotel rooms
  • book private shore excursions then advertise for a group to make it cheap
  • barter for souveneirs

All of these types of people are cheap and it stands to reason that cheap people are certainly not going to be generous with tips when they are so stingy with cash and dont have the cash flow to pay a premium for things.

People who stay at a Hyatt, Shangri La or St. Regis brands of luxury hotels are likely to have the cash to tip. People who stay at holiday inn pre cruise are cheap and probably dont have the cash to tip.

The away from home and family sob story does not work with me. I was in the Navy and they do it tougher. There used to be a saying in the Navy called "dry your eyes princess" Not only do they go months without seeing family but they have communication blackouts as well.

Then again how do you feel for all the people on cargo and container and oil ships working just as hard.

I reiterate what I said first off. The vast majority of people who cruise are against it. People who hold off for:

• cheaper cabins
  • onboard credit
  • look for cheap flights
  • book cheap holiday inn hotel rooms
  • book private shore excursions then advertise for a group to make it cheap
  • barter for souveneirs

All of these types of people are cheap and it stands to reason that cheap people are certainly not going to be generous with tips when they are so stingy with cash and dont have the cash flow to pay a premium for things.

People who stay at a Hyatt, Shangri La or St. Regis brands of luxury hotels are likely to have the cash to tip. People who stay at holiday inn pre cruise are cheap and probably dont have the cash to tip.

Well I think you are totally wrong. In all of our cruises we have never seen anyone go missing on the last night and everyone has passed over the envelop with good grace and the only discussion I have had on board is with new cruisers who are concerned they get it right.

With regard to the increase, it is long overdue as there has been no increase since I have been cruising.

Pay the tip and be thankful you can afford to cruise the number of times you have, as we are.

Gan Canny

Dai

From the original Newcastle.

:cool:

Sutho is at the extreme end of non-tipping Australians. :) I partly understand where he is coming from, because in this country (Australia), tipping is not the norm at all . Not that long ago - maybe a decade or so, the only knowledge Aussies would have had of tipping was that it was something done in America. All workers - regardless of the industry they work in - receive a living wage in Australia. The whole concept of "tipping" comes mostly from the Americas where employers employing staff who interact closely with customers realise that they will probably receive gratutities, hence the employees receive lower (and indeed VERY low) base wages. This is the very nature of the employment agreement between employer and employee in America. This has never (up until recent times) happened in Australia -- nor I believe in the UK.

The problem now lies in the fact that these cruiselines (most of which are American based) adopt American employment practices for SOME of their staff (note that I only said SOME) on their ships. This is fine while these ships operate in American waters and/or passengers are mostly American. However this management practice falls down whenever the ship enters foreign waters. In some foreign waters, the practice falls over completely. However, SOME other nationalities have adopted the American practices more so than others.

There is no doubt that American culture has spread all over the planet - some of that culture is good -- but some is bad.

Barry

Barry

Sorry I think your impression of tipping in the UK is somewhat off. It has existed for ages in certain areas.

Restaurants

Hairdressers

Taxis

Porters on stations (only for those with good memories.)

My mother, now in her 90's would never think of not tipping in a restaurant.

Gan Canny

Dai

Hi, I do not begrudge giving gratuities to the staff and i have always given above the rate of the auto and i will carry on doing so. I found on our last the cruise all but 2 guests gave the waiters envelopes and they was really embarassed they had nt done the same, but they had auto gratuities left on and they said they could nt afford to tip twice, I will always use the personal way of tipping.

Well I think you are totally wrong. In all of our cruises we have never seen anyone go missing on the last night and everyone has passed over the envelop with good grace and the only discussion I have had on board is with new cruisers who are concerned they get it right.

With regard to the increase, it is long overdue as there has been no increase since I have been cruising.

Pay the tip and be thankful you can afford to cruise the number of times you have, as we are.

Gan Canny

Dai

From the original Newcastle.

I think I am totally right and others seem to have notice the lack of tipping as well and the piles of forms on the reception desk to have the deductions removed. Its anywonder the rates have increased because all the cheap Brits are too tight to tip. The evidence is all through the forum with tight people complaining about how cheap others got their cruise. It is just stingy cheap people that winge about the price and I can assure you stingy cheap people DO NOT TIP.

Well that's is complete rubbish. We always look for a bargain, book an inside cabin, because we don't spend money on more expensive cabins. I consider the gratuities to be well worth it, but just don't agree with autotips. That's why we give the same amount in an envelope.

Yes there are piles of envelopes, but I too have never seen empty places on the last night. Most people hand over envelopes and on our last cruise with Fred O, some of handed over envelopes and some said "we have left the auto tips on". There are a lot of people who don't agree with the auto gratuities.

Yes there are piles of envelopes, but I too have never seen empty places on the last night. Most people hand over envelopes and on our last cruise with Fred O, some of handed over envelopes and some said "we have left the auto tips on". There are a lot of people who don't agree with the auto gratuities.

To me that is utter BS! come on where is the money coming from????? Seriously who has the kind of money go tip twice!!!!

Wake up and smell the coffee - the people who say this are liars they are just trying to big note themselves in public. They are nothing more than social climbers trying to create the impression that they are generous and vitruous. Have you ever heard of the Bucket woman and Keeping up appearances.

If I went around buying cruises and then tipping twice I would soon go broke. It is utter nonsence that people claim to be tipping twice the amound and they were the stingy type to go and book a room at holiday inn, buy a bargain cabin at the last minute and cash in their onboard credit.

I was not born yesterday and do not buy the lies that people spin about their generous tipping habbits. The evidence speaks for itself.

IF PEOPLE WERE TIPPIING ABOVE AND BEYOND THEN P&O WOULD NOT BE INCREASING THE SUGGESTED RATE.

IF PEOPLE WERE TIPPING ABOVE AND BEYOND THEN AUTO TIPS WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED.

These are the two facts that are evidence that the British cruisers on P&O are tight and full of lies when it comes to tipping.

P&O is not a luxury line. Its cabins are tiny shoe boxes way to small for your average millionaire who is used to suites at the finest hotels in the world - they cruise Regent Seven Seas or Crystal. People who cruise P&O are average joes used to the simple life and simple no frills cabins and when they get onboard they are all talk.

To me that is utter BS! come on where is the money coming from????? Seriously who has the kind of money go tip twice!!!!

Wake up and smell the coffee - the people who say this are liars they are just trying to big note themselves in public. They are nothing more than social climbers trying to create the impression that they are generous and vitruous. Have you ever heard of the Bucket woman and Keeping up appearances.

If I went around buying cruises and then tipping twice I would soon go broke. It is utter nonsence that people claim to be tipping twice the amound and they were the stingy type to go and book a room at holiday inn, buy a bargain cabin at the last minute and cash in their onboard credit.

I was not born yesterday and do not buy the lies that people spin about their generous tipping habbits. The evidence speaks for itself.

IF PEOPLE WERE TIPPIING ABOVE AND BEYOND THEN P&O WOULD NOT BE INCREASING THE SUGGESTED RATE.

IF PEOPLE WERE TIPPING ABOVE AND BEYOND THEN AUTO TIPS WOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN INTRODUCED.

These are the two facts that are evidence that the British cruisers on P&O are tight and full of lies when it comes to tipping.

P&O is not a luxury line. Its cabins are tiny shoe boxes way to small for your average millionaire who is used to suites at the finest hotels in the world - they cruise Regent Seven Seas or Crystal. People who cruise P&O are average joes used to the simple life and simple no frills cabins and when they get onboard they are all talk.

This is the man who has cruised with p & o no fewer than forteen times and I suspect someone who's trying to wind us up! If he is genuine then he's no more than a shameful human being, shame on you and stick to your own country's forums as this a UK forum as I suspect even your own countrymen have had enough of you.

This is the man who has cruised with p & o no fewer than forteen times and I suspect someone who's trying to wind us up! If he is genuine then he's no more than a shameful human being, shame on you and stick to your own country's forums as this a UK forum as I suspect even your own countrymen have had enough of you.

I am serisous here - what is the matter does the truth hurt?

As you said I have cruised P&O a lot and I know it much better than you. I am in their top loyalty status club and I know what the passengers are like. P&O passengers are not super rich millionairs. They are average people just like me and they certainly do not have the money to go out ant tip twice the amount as people have suggested. P&O passengers tip less the suggested amount which is WHY P&O INTRODUCED AUTO TIPPING AND THEN INCREASED THE CHARGES.

Tell me about Arcadia's voyage to Alaska?? The stewards went on strike because no one was tipping them and they were all unceremoniously fired the following Christmas.

Want to see more evidence take a look at the other threads started as an example - Vantage Fares Scam - again someone not happy with the price, Coathangers - obviously a less travelled individual who has saved hard and would not have the cash to splash out doube or tripple the suggested amount for tips as people claim they do, Shore excursions - again another place where cheap people vent their anger at having to pre-pay shore excursions (come on I thought you peeple were rich and could afford to tip double the suggested amount), Price to book the retreat - again if you are worried about the price of the retreat it sounds like your cash flow is not that great to be splashing around exhorbitant tips, oh here is a winner - P&O cost cutting apparant - more stingy people complaining they did not get their moneys worth (I bet these are the type of people that will work their stewards to the dogs and warn them they will not get a tip unless they buck up their standards), anothter whopper Taking alcohol onboard - more threads started by cheap people too cheap to buy the higher priced P&O alcohol (again I suspect these people are not too generous in the tipping department), corkage fee - Page 2 I certainly bet this person does not tip if they are really worried about a corkage fee), Room service charges on Arcadia (again if your worried about how much things cost you do not have the money to tip)

As I said that is a list of threads in this area. Seems to me the evidence speaks for itself. We get a lot of worried and thrifty passengers post here looking for cheap and how to cut costs. Now tell me again do these people tip? are they the type of people that tip exhorbitant amounts as many claim they do?

Who said that people tip twice? there are those who are happy with auto-tips and those who are not. I dislike the autotips and tip personally. Then there will be some who don't tip at all.

Well we now give an extra tip as we increased out total tip as the years moved on as P&O did not put up the suggested amount. If we only paid the auto now the staff would miss out. A number of others do this as well.

We still do not pay as much as if we were on other lines.

Gan Canny

Dai

Dai, but this makes some folk feel embarrassed. P&O have just put the auto-tips up, although i agree they are the lowest compared to other cruiselines. We tip personally and round up to the nearest fiver. I mean if the autotips come to £66 then we tip £70 if you get my drift. Those who leave the auto-tip in place are then embarrassed by the ones giving an envelope, or so they say. So all those folk who say it's like "patting someone on the shoulder" are now giving an envelope anyway with extra? Or a thank you card? I mean what is that for? Would you do that in a hotel?

Dai, but this makes some folk feel embarrassed. P&O have just put the auto-tips up, although i agree they are the lowest compared to other cruiselines. We tip personally and round up to the nearest fiver. I mean if the autotips come to £66 then we tip £70 if you get my drift. Those who leave the auto-tip in place are then embarrassed by the ones giving an envelope, or so they say. So all those folk who say it's like "patting someone on the shoulder" are now giving an envelope anyway with extra? Or a thank you card? I mean what is that for? Would you do that in a hotel?

You are rarely in a hotel for 23 nights so I do not think that is a good comparison.

I am not bothered if you give it in an envelope or leave the auto. I have never felt embarrassed in passing over a tip or when I tip at home. Usually taxi drivers these days.

Gan Canny

Dai

I have honestly seen people post on here and claim they leave auto tips on and then tip extra cash. I personally tend not to believe what they have said and think it is mainly lies to big note themself.

Looking at all the threads about BYO booze, private shore excursions, corkage etc, the evidence suggests to me that people like that do not tip as they are thrifty and cheap with money.

My personal opinion on the matter is to include it as part of the fare. When you book a hotel room around the world they have room rate and then on top you get an additional rate that states service charges. That way you know what the up front cost is.

It is cruise lines (not the passengers) that are insulting and degrading the crew. The cruise lines are exploiting the crew by not having it as a compulsary pre paid system as part of the fare for one reason. To sell more cruises and make the cruise look cheap. They make the cruise look cheap, sell it to thrifty people and then slap on a surprise tipping charge. Guess what these people that bought the cheap cruise did not account for this so they cant afford to pay it.

At the end of the day it has to be pre paid when you book your cruise as this culture of poorly paid staff will go on forever and ever.

On all the cruise lines I have sailed, other than 1 occasion, we have always left the auto tip in place. If anyone then wants to give extra with their brown envelopes :D I do not get embarrassed when I do not. The crew know there is auto tip and who leaves it and who stops it. Auto tip is much easier than suggested tips and imo takes the hassle away from sorting out the envelopes at the end of the cruise.

Dai, sorry I did not make myself clear. I didn't mean that you or I would be embarrassed, but I have been given a hard time because I choose to use an envelope. People have said they are embarrassed by the envelope thing and that it's like "tugging your forelock" etc.

I simply meant that if folk who leave the autotip in place, now feel they have to tip extra, then the whole thing is ridiculous.

I have honestly seen people post on here and claim they leave auto tips on and then tip extra cash. I personally tend not to believe what they have said and think it is mainly lies to big note themself.

Looking at all the threads about BYO booze, private shore excursions, corkage etc, the evidence suggests to me that people like that do not tip as they are thrifty and cheap with money.

My personal opinion on the matter is to include it as part of the fare. When you book a hotel room around the world they have room rate and then on top you get an additional rate that states service charges. That way you know what the up front cost is.

It is cruise lines (not the passengers) that are insulting and degrading the crew. The cruise lines are exploiting the crew by not having it as a compulsary pre paid system as part of the fare for one reason. To sell more cruises and make the cruise look cheap. They make the cruise look cheap, sell it to thrifty people and then slap on a surprise tipping charge. Guess what these people that bought the cheap cruise did not account for this so they cant afford to pay it.

At the end of the day it has to be pre paid when you book your cruise as this culture of poorly paid staff will go on forever and ever.

Very good of you to call me a liar, thank you. I will not print what I think of you. That by the way has never been great since you went on and on about getting some compensation from P&O when you got NV years ago.

An apology would be good.

Gan canny

Dai

Dai, sorry I did not make myself clear. I didn't mean that you or I would be embarrassed, but I have been given a hard time because I choose to use an envelope. People have said they are embarrassed by the envelope thing and that it's like "tugging your forelock" etc.

I simply meant that if folk who leave the autotip in place, now feel they have to tip extra, then the whole thing is ridiculous.

You can pass over the extra without others seeing. On our recent cruise each of the 4 couples passed over envelopes. Now we did not talk about it before and as 1 couple were new I doubt if they had opened out, but I do not know. One couple had been with other lines.

It would be better if it was all added to the fare but that has not happened and we are left with the situation as it is.

As I have said I see little difference between this and tipping hairdressers, taxi drivers and restaurant waiters. BTW if you go to the hairdressers on board the tip is added to the bill. I think it was 10%

Gan Canny

Dai

Hello daiB

I think a lot of people should read your earlier comment about how grateful we should all be that we are able to cruise so often ! So well said !

We are all very different but Sutho it is not nice to single someone out for asking about coathangers on a Cruise. I think this is why most people turn to these forums. If you have never cruised how are you going to know about coathangers, etc. I have asked all sorts of questions over the years.

People spend their money in different ways and it is quite apparent that a lot of people still don't really understand 'tipping' at sea !

Everyone deserves to be able to cruise but so many people think they should not have to pay tips. There is nothing wrong with being thrifty and nothing wrong with staying in cheaper hotels in London or Southampton. We all like a bargain sometimes and for one night pre cruise does it really matter !

I really enjoy contributing to this forum. I hate it however when people belittle others. There is absolutely no need for that.

I still think tips should be included in the price of the holiday and then people wouldn't need to use envelopes if they feel embarassed.

I do not want to get into arguments about tipping etc but we keep on the auto tips and give extra to our cabin staff and any member of staff we feel we want to if we want to.

We don't use envelopes, just quietly pass any tips to the member of staff concerned. Surely it is each passengers choice what they do and no one else's business really.:)

Archived