Coffee on Princess Cruises

coloradocruisers101

Hi all cruise friends. Just wondering your thoughts on coffee on Princess. Last time on the Sapphire, we had horrible coffee everyone on the ship except the specialty places. Just off the Crown last month and the room service coffee was actually good which we had every morning. Of course this is knowledge after packing a small pot in our luggage. Could have brought more shoes! :eek:

I know coffee like food can be subjective. DH is a coffee snob, and he even said he was drinkable. Your thoughts to help others not to waste space in luggage.

Warm Regards,

Sharon

We both have coffee cards which we purchased. The International Cafe has great coffee and specialty coffees, too. I sometimes just throw something on quick and run down in the AM to pick up our coffee on the balcony.

Edited by Donder1

We have found on 8 Princess cruises that the coffee is horrific.The coffee in th ebuffet is made from a serup.We always buy the coffee card and use it for the regular brewd coffee as well as for the fancier ones.

In defense of Princess we have found on the other lines that their regular coffee is equally horrible.

IMHO

Jeff:(

I am not a coffee expert. And I think the free coffee in company and hotels are good. But I tried coffee in both buffet and MDR when I was on CB last month. They were equally bad.

I believe the ice tea was also from (low quality) concentrate. It actually burnt my throat. The water was very good.

I have only cruised once...last year on the Emerald.....I read about the coffee before I travelled...I thought that people were being too picky.....then I tasted the coffee on the ship....it was TERRIBLE !! It seems like like a simple thing to make decent coffee...I am not sure why Princess chooses to serve the poorest quality ....$$ yes I know..could they step it up a bit?

The IC coffe was good...but the machines were broken most of the cruise last year...also...one small location on the entire ship is not very conveniant for 3000 people!

Most people don't have a problem with the coffee in the buffet or dining room. I know I don't. It's a matter of taste and preference. As I posted on another coffee thread, I've found that if you like Dunkin' Donuts coffee, you'll probably think the ship's coffee is fine. If you prefer Starbucks, you won't. Personally, I think Starbucks is so bad that the few times I've tried it, I had to toss it out as undrinkable. So, it's really a preference.

Edited by Pam in CA

Hi all cruise friends. Just wondering your thoughts on coffee on Princess. Last time on the Sapphire, we had horrible coffee everyone on the ship except the specialty places. Just off the Crown last month and the room service coffee was actually good which we had every morning. Of course this is knowledge after packing a small pot in our luggage. Could have brought more shoes! :eek:

I know coffee like food can be subjective. DH is a coffee snob, and he even said he was drinkable. Your thoughts to help others not to waste space in luggage.

Warm Regards,

Sharon

Sharon, I guess I am an "exception" as I have had coffee on several Princess ships, from the buffet and International Cafe, and have found both to be good. My question to some of the coffee drinkers would be this:

Is coffee still coffee if you add flavorings to it? :confused: You start with a cup of coffee, add milk/cream/sugar or any combination; doesn't that change the coffee to just another "flavored" drink? ;) Here is an example: scramble two eggs, fry and you have "scrambled eggs", add cheese and ham and you have an omelet, still eggs but with a different taste. Maybe it's the added ingredients that is causing the so called "coffee" to be unsatisfactory. Coffee can only be coffee when consumed black, no added ingredients.

Yours respectfully,

Juan Paublo, Columbian coffee dude :D

I was on the Sapphire over Christmas. I am not a coffee snob. The coffee in the HC was not good so I needed to add extra sugar. When in need of caffeine, it will do. The coffee in the IC was very good. Never had coffee from room service or in the dining room.

Hi Columbian Juan,

Funny, because I use half milk, coffee and splenda in my coffee, but DH has his black. His opinion was that the coffee from room service was ok, but didn't like the coffee in the MDR or HC. It would be funny if it was the same coffee. You were right on point with your comments. :)

I have cruised once on the Coral last year. After reading numerous threads about how bad the coffee is on Princess, I was ready for the worst.

I found the coffee to be very good. I drink it black and there was nothing wrong with it at all.

Of course, I drink decaff, which probably makes me a coffee traitor or something, but I did try a few cups of regular coffee and could not tell any difference.

Hi Columbian Juan,

Funny, because I use half milk, coffee and splenda in my coffee, but DH has his black. His opinion was that the coffee from room service was ok, but didn't like the coffee in the MDR or HC. It would be funny if it was the same coffee. You were right on point with your comments. :)

Hope I made you smile! :) After all, what's life if you can't smile.. :D

HAPPY CRUISING TO ALL!

Juan Paublo, Columbian Coffee Dude

Before we tried Princess last year I thought folks were over reacting on how bad the coffee is. I live in Seattle but despite that I can tolerate most "Gas Station" plain black coffees. I couldn't drink the Princess stuff. Had to buy a coffee card and their regular brew is good.

Edited by pmd98052

Sometimes it seems that those who don't like the coffee consider themselves the 'experts' and they consider those who enjoy the coffee from concentrate to be 'idiots' for enjoying such swill. :eek:

I get a coffee card for specialty coffee drinks and brewed coffee however I'll also drink the coffee from concentrate in the MDR or HC. Some bring Starbuck's VIA packets to add some to the non-brewed coffee or will use them full strength which produces a cup of coffee they like better.

Since some believe that the room service or MDR coffee is better than in the HC & I wonder if it could be how well the equipment is being maintained or if it's a placebo effect. ;)

As the OP said taste is subjective and I'd suggest trying the free coffee and if they don't like it to get a coffee card or bring along some VIA. The coffee my taste buds enjoy the most is 100% Kona however I'll never get that on a ship. :p

Wouldn't you think with all of the complaints about how terrible:eek: the coffee is on the Princess ships, they would do something to improve it? Surely they read comments on this website.;)

Cole

Wouldn't you think with all of the complaints about how terrible:eek: the coffee is on the Princess ships, they would do something to improve it? Surely they read comments on this website.;)

Cole

I don't see them replacing the coffee from concentrate machines but there may be an option for a different blend or possibly better maintenance on the machines. I've even heard complaints from some about the brewed coffee so it's impossible to please everybody.

As far is a true gauge of passengers happiness with the coffee none of us truly know that answer. Posts on CC are a small sampling of the total number of passengers any cruise lines serves. And generally those who were unhappy with the coffee (or anything else) are the most vocal and will belittle others who think it's okay. Thus many who are okay with the coffee are hesitant to post so we may not be getting an accurate assessment of how the majority of the Princess passengers feel about the coffee.

Edited by Astro Flyer

First thing in the morning, caffeine is caffeine. I get the room service coffee every day. When I'm awake and alive, I use the card to get a latte at IC. I have found that the decaf I drink in the MDR evenings is pretty good. I avoid the buffet and all its enticements just about every day on every cruise, so I don't really know what that coffee is like. DH is a big buffet breakfast fan, so he drinks it and doesn't complain. It's all subjective. The only time you read about how good the coffee might be is when someone is defending it against attacks from the anti-syrup brigade. ;) Maybe someone should start a thread titled "I Looooovvvvee Princess coffee!!" :D

Can someone explain how they make coffee from a syrup? Where does coffee syrup come from?

Personally, I've never been able to tell a difference in coffee on a ship. It all tastes fine to me, but I don't have a trained coffee sense.

Can someone explain how they make coffee from a syrup? Where does coffee syrup come from?

Personally, I've never been able to tell a difference in coffee on a ship. It all tastes fine to me, but I don't have a trained coffee sense.

Some refer to the coffee concentrate as 'syrup' but I have no idea why they say it's from 'syrup'? :confused:

The coffee from the Horizon Court seems to vary in quality, depending on the ship (or maybe who makes it?). Husband has found a way to make it drinkable - he gets half a cup of coffee, and then adds hot water to it. He doesn't like strong coffee, and this works for him. I could tolerate drinking it like that, too - but my mixture was about 3/4 coffee, 1/4 hot water. Brewed coffee from the International Cafe is better for me, but too strong for husband.:rolleyes:

Hi all ~ we're on a 27 B2B TA/BI cruise in May. If I buy a coffee card can I get a "free black regular coffee" every day?:confused: I don't use sugar or cream and my husband usually pays for a coffee per day for me. Karen

Hi all ~ we're on a 27 B2B TA/BI cruise in May. If I buy a coffee card can I get a "free black regular coffee" every day?:confused: I don't use sugar or cream and my husband usually pays for a coffee per day for me. Karen

Yes you can get as many cups of fresh brewed as you want each day! But try the free stuff first. I drink it all the time.I find the IC coffee to be strong and if you drink black coffee, it may be too strong. Have a great cruise!:D

Yes you can get as many cups of fresh brewed as you want each day! But try the free stuff first. I drink it all the time.I find the IC coffee to be strong and if you drink black coffee, it may be too strong. Have a great cruise!:D

We asked this question recently on a Crown b2b during our 1st cruise & were told free brewed coffee would not be available on the 2nd cruise without another card. We had an old card for specialty coffees & decided not to buy a new one only covering the 12 day segment but not the 20 day segment.

That's the official policy & they put the ship name & cruise number on the back of the card. They didn't seem to check them closely but I didn't want to buy a card with free brewed coffee only for our port intensive 12 day cruise but instead bought a card for our 20 day with few ports.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I like the brewed coffee in the IC and I don't mind the coffee in the MDR. I really don't enjoy the coffee in the Horizon Court. On my last cruise, I purchased a coffee card and ended up using many of my punches to get Americano beverages at the IC and they were delicious! They had a couple of different flavors/kinds of coffee beans to make the Americanos and they were fantastic! I think I had one that was hazelnut, one that was Blue Mountain Jamaican coffee beans, and one that was vanilla cream.

I also loved the lattes in the IC and loved that they can be made with soy milk!