prescriptions

Nutriosotoo

I have to agree about those mail order pharmacies sending everything in huge bottles. That would not work for us.

I count out exactly how many pills are needed for each cruise, then pills for pre and post cruise hotel days and then add in an extra week's worth of pills -- just in case.

DH takes quite a few medications and I can't imagine hauling all those huge bottles.

We are fortunate that our drug store will prepare smaller bottles for traveling.

Another money saving trick is to have your doctor prescribe double dose pills that you then cut in half. You can save almost half on some prescriptions when the double dose pills are just a few cents more than the single dose. There is some labor involved in the pill cutting process that not all users want to do.

Wish we could do that for DH but the majority of his pills are already at the "max" dosage.

I do have to split one of his medications as his neurologist wants him to take 37 1/2 mg of Sinemet 3 times a day -- and they only make it in 25 and 50 mg.

If you are unable to get a vacation waiver or your insurance plan does not allow 90 refills than suggest you check into this.

IF there is a Costco near you, go on line and do a price check of the RX in question. Depending on the medication, Costco's out of pocket price ( not putting through insurance) may actually be cheaper than what you're paying through the insurance plan. If so than ask you Doctor for a 30 RX with no refills and just go off the insurance grid and purchase it through Costco out of pocket.

I recently read an article in AARP that spoke about Costco's RX prices being the lowest even than what one might pay through their insurance. Checked all my meds and found that everyone would cost less out of pocket through Costco than what I'm currently paying through my insurance plan, so I'm switching all my RX's. Of course this may not work for all medications but it's worth everyone checking even if you're not going on vacation.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Most states have laws that require big box membership stores such as Costco to allow someone to enter and make pharmacy purchases without having a membership card.

We read about that in AARP -- sadly there isn't a Costco near us.

My pharmacist mentioned to me he'd be happy to put meds into small ziploc baggies with a full pharmacy label such as he would put on our bottles if we think they'd be easier to travel with. He's a real gem who I greatly appreciate. I'm seriously considering asking him to do that for future trips. Would be less bulk to take up space in our carryons.

Another money saving trick is to have your doctor prescribe double dose pills that you then cut in half. You can save almost half on some prescriptions when the double dose pills are just a few cents more than the single dose. There is some labor involved in the pill cutting process that not all users want to do.

Be very careful about doing that as out of the country medical insurance companies regard a change in dosage as a change in condition and will not cover the condition until the stability period has passed. In older patients that is six months to a year depending on the company

My pharmacist mentioned to me he'd be happy to put meds into small ziploc baggies with a full pharmacy label such as he would put on our bottles if we think they'd be easier to travel with. He's a real gem who I greatly appreciate. I'm seriously considering asking him to do that for future trips. Would be less bulk to take up space in our carryons.

I have a small medical bag that our doctor got for us years ago -- fits into the safe -- has handles for easy carrying if I need to grab it fast.

Be very careful about doing that as out of the country medical insurance companies regard a change in dosage as a change in condition and will not cover the condition until the stability period has passed. In older patients that is six months to a year depending on the company

That's true but doesn't booking the medical insurance within the time limit set by the insurance company provide for coverage of pre-existing conditions?

Be very careful about doing that [the cutting pills in half trick] as out of the country medical insurance companies regard a change in dosage as a change in condition and will not cover the condition until the stability period has passed. In older patients that is six months to a year depending on the company

There was no change in dosage. The instructions were to take 1/2 of the double dose pills after breakfast instead of 1 of the single dose pills.

That's true but doesn't booking the medical insurance within the time limit set by the insurance company provide for coverage of pre-existing conditions?

We buy coverage for a year at a time, however if at anytime during that year my husband has an issue then he will not be covered for that condition for a full year from the time he is considered stable again. He will be covered for everything else. It just depends on how much of a biggie your issue is as to whether you want to take the chance for that condition. We deal with CAA for his insurance.

Thanks, Sapper. That policy seems to be a bit different than the common ones some of us buy for each trip. Most have terms which if fully complied with will cover for pre-existing conditions but I plan to check with our company about this question. Ours would be either 60 or 90 days IF the pre-existing clause does not cover a Rx dosage change. I'm sure it isn't six months.

Not too be too snarky, but do you know the difference between an exclamation mark and a period, or are you just generally excited about every thing you post? :eek:

Yes, in fact I do happen to know the difference between an exclamation and a period!!! ;) What specifically does YOUR post related to my grammar have to do with this thread? :confused:

The dispensing fee is buried in the price of the prescription. The only reason I became aware of the charge is because at one point the insurance company I had at the time paid 100% for the drug but made the patient pay the dispensing fee. That was 20 years ago and I believe it was $7 per prescription.

My current Blue Cross just pays 70% of the total, including the dispensing fee, which is probably much higher now.

In British Columbia the Dispensing Fee must be shown as a separate item.

Not sure the Canadian Blue Cross Rules would apply in the U.S.A.

In British Columbia the Dispensing Fee must be shown as a separate item.

Not sure the Canadian Blue Cross Rules would apply in the U.S.A.

No, of course, not.

U.S. Blue Cross rules would not apply in Canada anymore than Canadian in U.S., however, it is possible there are many similarities.

Yes, in fact I do happen to know the difference between an exclamation and a period!!! ;) What specifically does YOUR post related to my grammar have to do with this thread? :confused:

And just what does your not having to pay for your prescriptions have to do with the OP's question? :rolleyes:

The dispensing fee is buried in the price of the prescription. The only reason I became aware of the charge is because at one point the insurance company I had at the time paid 100% for the drug but made the patient pay the dispensing fee. That was 20 years ago and I believe it was $7 per prescription.

My current Blue Cross just pays 70% of the total, including the dispensing fee, which is probably much higher now.

Most pharmacies have gone to a flat price for generics due to Wal-Mart getting into the pharmacy business.

TriCare CHARGES a dispensing fee themselves AND if you have a 90 day prescription filled at a pharmacy you have to pay the dispensing fee * 3. Luckily, I also have BC/BS Federal and so I rarely have to anything for generics and seldom more than TriCare's "dispensing fee" for name brand drugs.

I do have to find out whether I can get a vacation waiver for the world cruise -- although my doctor has agreed to change to 90 day prescriptions and I'm going to do the week early thing.

Not too be too snarky, but do you know the difference between an exclamation mark and a period, or are you just generally excited about every thing you post? :eek:

Your time would probably be better spent learning the appropriate use of "too" and "to" than commenting upon the grammar of other contributors.:D

You ARE being snarky. I'm sure the poster does know the difference and she added the exclamation marks as emphasis. Gee, I thought we weren't suppose to pick apart someone's grammar or the way they spelled. I know a number of people who do not like to post in fear of getting posts like yours. Let's give information rather than correcting the posts of others.

It is important to remember that everyone makes mistakes at one time or another, and that there are many users who use English as a second language, especially on our Cruise Boards. There are also a number of people who suffer from learning disabilities and who have difficulty noticing their spelling mistakes. Do not make comments on the spelling and grammar of other users. It is simply not a productive expenditure of energies.

Your time would probably be better spent learning the appropriate use of "too" and "to" than commenting upon the grammar of other contributors.:D

Touche, but mine is a mere typo, not and overuse of exclamation marks!

Oh no... this post too - does that make two posts? - has nothing to do with prescriptions. :eek:

I have been offered the option for mail delivery of medications but have decided against it for two reasons. Another poster already cited the problem of having the package not fit in the mail slot or box and therefore being exposed to weather, loss, etc. The primary reason, for me, is that one of my medications, synthroid, is temperature sensitive. If exposed to too hot or too cold temperatures it loses effectiveness. I have to assume that delivery to the pharmacy is appropriately handled but prefer to control what I can, when I can, so won't do mail delivery.

Archived