prescriptions

Nutriosotoo

Am having difficulty getting enough pills for my upcoming long cruise. They tell me they can only give me so many at a time. They are not controlled substance meds and I have a year-long prescription on file. What's the problem? Any suggestions other than having to go see the MD again? Thanks. --Penny

Is it that your insurance will only pay for a refill once a month?

Our insurance allows us a 'vacation refill' done early either once or twice each year.

Maybe if the Rx are not really costly medications, you could just pay for the refill yourself and not have to bother about the insurance IF that is the reason the pharmacy is not refilling for you.

If you have a long enough time until your cruise, you can try this "trick.". Most once a month prescriptions can really be refilled every three weeks. If you do this enough times, you can stockpile your prescription.

We are doing this with a prescription for my son because our insurance does not allow for a vacation waiver. The prescription is limited by law to one month fills at a time.

I have Blue Cross and they will allow a waiver for an early refill when I go on vacation.

Another tip is to get your doctor to order a three month supply on each refill.

that's exactly what I did - I asked my doctor to amend prescriptions - no problem when she knew why:D

We get 90 day supplies for our medications. They can be filled 2 weeks before they really need to be filled according to the date on the bottle.

We old timers have Security Blue. If we do not have enough pills for a trip and we are not close to that 2 week window -- we have to pick a prescription from our doctor and pay for those pills ourselves -- no vacation waver. And a couple of DH's are extremely expensive.

:confused: Dispensing Fee?

I've never heard of that around here. I don't think any of our local pharmacies charge a dispensing fee. I know we've never paid one.

The dispensing fee is buried in the price of the prescription. The only reason I became aware of the charge is because at one point the insurance company I had at the time paid 100% for the drug but made the patient pay the dispensing fee. That was 20 years ago and I believe it was $7 per prescription.

My current Blue Cross just pays 70% of the total, including the dispensing fee, which is probably much higher now.

We use a mail order pharmacy, and all six of my meds are ordered in 90 day supply's. Their computer is set up so I can reorder every sixty days. The only disadvantage comes in January of each year, trying to get the new scripts into their system. Once they finally get it into their system, it works fine for the rest of the year.

Security Blue keeps sending forms to have our prescriptions filled via the mail.

We would never do that as our mail goes directly into the garage and the slot is not big enough to put a package like that through it. Packages are left just anywhere -- under the slot in the driveway -- sometimes on the porch. We don't have a regular mailman anymore -- so no one ever rings the doorbell when there is a package delivered -- not FexEx or UPS. Anyone could pick up that package or it could be ruined in the rain/snow or blown away when the winds are high.

Am having difficulty getting enough pills for my upcoming long cruise. They tell me they can only give me so many at a time. They are not controlled substance meds and I have a year-long prescription on file. What's the problem? Any suggestions other than having to go see the MD again? Thanks. --Penny

My prescription medication is refilled by my pharmacy for a three month (100 day) supply each time! :) It can be refilled when I am down to a two week supply! And (one) of my great retirement benefits is that there is absolutely no cost to me for my prescription medication! ;)

If you are unable to get a vacation waiver or your insurance plan does not allow 90 refills than suggest you check into this.

IF there is a Costco near you, go on line and do a price check of the RX in question. Depending on the medication, Costco's out of pocket price ( not putting through insurance) may actually be cheaper than what you're paying through the insurance plan. If so than ask you Doctor for a 30 RX with no refills and just go off the insurance grid and purchase it through Costco out of pocket.

I recently read an article in AARP that spoke about Costco's RX prices being the lowest even than what one might pay through their insurance. Checked all my meds and found that everyone would cost less out of pocket through Costco than what I'm currently paying through my insurance plan, so I'm switching all my RX's. Of course this may not work for all medications but it's worth everyone checking even if you're not going on vacation.

IMPORTANT NOTE : Most states have laws that require big box membership stores such as Costco to allow someone to enter and make pharmacy purchases without having a membership card.

My prescription medication is refilled by my pharmacy for a three month (100 day) supply each time! :) It can be refilled when I am down to a two week supply! And (one) of my great retirement benefits is that there is absolutely no cost to me for my prescription medication! ;)

Not too be too snarky, but do you know the difference between an exclamation mark and a period, or are you just generally excited about every thing you post? :eek:

We use a mail order pharmacy, and all six of my meds are ordered in 90 day supply's. Their computer is set up so I can reorder every sixty days. The only disadvantage comes in January of each year, trying to get the new scripts into their system. Once they finally get it into their system, it works fine for the rest of the year.

For me, another disadvantage would be getting the pills in such huge bottles that are difficult to travel with. I am firm about carrying our necessary Rx in pharmacy original packaging when we travel. We cannot risk confiscation by a TSA official who determined they didn't like the way we were carrying them in a baggie. I know what the rules are but I don't want to be the one standing there arguing with an offical who can take away our meds. We would have to return home if that happened and that is a risk which can be avoided. We have too many Rx to be able to lug those big bottles.

The dispensing fee is buried in the price of the prescription. The only reason I became aware of the charge is because at one point the insurance company I had at the time paid 100% for the drug but made the patient pay the dispensing fee. That was 20 years ago and I believe it was $7 per prescription.

My current Blue Cross just pays 70% of the total, including the dispensing fee, which is probably much higher now.

Maybe that is something specific to Canada?

We have several Rx we refill every month that cost $4 so how much dispensing fee could be included. Sure, other prescriptions we have cost more than that but I am curious about this to ask our pharmacist this week when I am in the pharmacy. I've never had a reason to think they are charing such a fee but now I want to know.

:confused: Dispensing Fee?

I've never heard of that around here. I don't think any of our local pharmacies charge a dispensing fee. I know we've never paid one.

All pharmacies charge a dispense fee. Some states require this fee to be disclosed on the receipt, most do not. I know for sure you or someone has paid them for every prescription you have had filled since 1972 when the fees were allowed by the FDA. If you use a 90 day refill, you will save money on the fee since it is a flat fee based on the the class of drug being dispensed. The fee on the drugs offered for $4 is very low, less than one dollar. The fee on scheduled drugs is much higher and can be as much as $100 for certain compounded drugs.

The pharmacy has to charge a fee in addition to their cost for the drug or they wouldn't be in business. A pharmacy is not a non-profit, has to pay the pharmacists and clerks, etc. We just pay it all in one price at the cash register, but all costs are included in what they charge us- cost of the drug and costs of the pharmacy (dispensing fee).

The pharmacy has to charge a fee in addition to their cost for the drug or they wouldn't be in business. A pharmacy is not a non-profit, has to pay the pharmacists and clerks, etc. We just pay it all in one price at the cash register, but all costs are included in what they charge us- cost of the drug and costs of the pharmacy (dispensing fee).
All drugs, just like everything else are sold to the pharmacy at wholesale prices and the pharmacies mark them up and sell them at retail prices. On some drugs, this markup is insignificant, on others its astronomical. The fee is over and above the retail markup.

Not too be too snarky, but do you know the difference between an exclamation mark and a period, or are you just generally excited about every thing you post? :eek:

You ARE being snarky. I'm sure the poster does know the difference and she added the exclamation marks as emphasis. Gee, I thought we weren't suppose to pick apart someone's grammar or the way they spelled. I know a number of people who do not like to post in fear of getting posts like yours. Let's give information rather than correcting the posts of others.

You ARE being snarky. I'm sure the poster does know the difference and she added the exclamation marks as emphasis. Gee, I thought we weren't suppose to pick apart someone's grammar or the way they spelled. I know a number of people who do not like to post in fear of getting posts like yours. Let's give information rather than correcting the posts of others.

I know we aren't supposed to. :) But this poster ends every sentence with a "!" in every post. I guess I could just ignore the person. ;)

For me, another disadvantage would be getting the pills in such huge bottles that are difficult to travel with. I am firm about carrying our necessary Rx in pharmacy original packaging when we travel. We cannot risk confiscation by a TSA official who determined they didn't like the way we were carrying them in a baggie. I know what the rules are but I don't want to be the one standing there arguing with an offical who can take away our meds. We would have to return home if that happened and that is a risk which can be avoided. We have too many Rx to be able to lug those big bottles.

Maybe that is something specific to Canada?

We have several Rx we refill every month that cost $4 so how much dispensing fee could be included. Sure, other prescriptions we have cost more than that but I am curious about this to ask our pharmacist this week when I am in the pharmacy. I've never had a reason to think they are charing such a fee but now I want to know.

I hear you about the bigger bottles. We always carry prescriptions in original labelled containers and have a doctor's note for any controlled substance as well. I put all the OTC drugs in labelled baggies as I figure they could be replaced if taken by customs.

Jaguarstyper gave a good explanation of the dispensing fees.

Of course, I am aware pharmacies are for profit businesses.

I never for one moment thought they were doing it as a hobby. :D

I am interested to ask my pharrmacist about these fees. I 'assumed' they made their profit on whatever mark up over what they paid their supplier for each medicatiton they dispense.

Even with a fee, I'll remain with our local pharmacy as I like to keep the business in the community (helps provide jobs) and I like having a 'friendly pharmacist' with whom I have a trusting relationship to ask questions. IMO they are a woefully under appreciated and under consulted by their customers.

Another money saving trick is to have your doctor prescribe double dose pills that you then cut in half. You can save almost half on some prescriptions when the double dose pills are just a few cents more than the single dose. There is some labor involved in the pill cutting process that not all users want to do.

Archived