Afternoon tea - dress code

lexdisic

Thanks for the replies - we do like AT and was hoping that it wasn't too casual - definately no hairy chest !!

Simple answer: whatever your wearing around the ship all day is also fine for tea with the exceptions LHT28 mentioned. It is not a London formal tea but you'll love it anyway.:)

If fellow CC-ers objected to someone going into the lounge at 3am wearing a bathrobe (on another thread a while back), what would they say about someone going to afternoon tea in such apparel??!! The mind boggles ...

I've never seen that myself, but then we rarely go to tea!

Mura

If fellow CC-ers objected to someone going into the lounge at 3am wearing a bathrobe (on another thread a while back), what would they say about someone going to afternoon tea in such apparel??!! The mind boggles ...

I've never seen that myself, but then we rarely go to tea!

Mura

We go to tea just about everyday & I can honestly say I have NEVER seen anyone in that attire :eek:

I have seen a few people come in topless (men only) & go to the serving bar (on the R-ships) pile up a plate & leave

Lyn

Well we were on Marina last May, we could wear casual wear ie; shorts and flip flops no problem. We were on Riviera in October and were stopped going into Horizons afternoon tea with the same wear along with some other people who were dressed in a casual manner. We went back to our stateroom to change into long trousers and regular shoes and my wife changed into skirt and smarter shoes we returned and did then spot some guests in more casual apparel. Later in the cruise I am a little ashamed to say we snuck into the tea in our casual clothes through the opposite door to the host, the long tablecloths did a good job of hiding our legs and flip flops.

Well we were on Marina last May, we could wear casual wear ie; shorts and flip flops no problem. We were on Riviera in October and were stopped going into Horizons afternoon tea with the same wear along with some other people who were dressed in a casual manner.

Maybe something new

We have gone in shorts before without incident

If I am sitting out by the pool i am not going back to change then have to change again for dinner :eek:

Oh well if that is the case then we will have to skip Tea ...too bad because we enjoy relaxing & listening to the quartet as well as the scones;)

Lyn

We have found that most people dress a little closer to country club casual for tea.

However, tea starts at 4pm and there are already people in Horizons reading, playing cards, knitting, etc. They are not kicked out. The room is not closed and then reopened so if you have been in the room reading in shorts, etc. you can just get up, get goodies and go back to your chair.

As to bathrobes we have seen a couple but it is rare. Mostly people are coming from the pool or spa and they usually don't stay.

Well we were on Marina last May, we could wear casual wear ie; shorts and flip flops no problem. We were on Riviera in October and were stopped going into Horizons afternoon tea with the same wear along with some other people who were dressed in a casual manner. We went back to our stateroom to change into long trousers and regular shoes and my wife changed into skirt and smarter shoes we returned and did then spot some guests in more casual apparel. Later in the cruise I am a little ashamed to say we snuck into the tea in our casual clothes through the opposite door to the host, the long tablecloths did a good job of hiding our legs and flip flops.

Philip,

I am very surprised by this. One of our male companions on our recent cruise wore a tank top to tea without incident (which I would never do) but lots of men were wearing tee shirts and I always wore shorts during the day as it was a Caribbean cruise. When I expressed to FDR that some of the folks walking around every night in shorts and tee shirts were a little too casual for my taste, he said that they generally don't police the way that people dress, even when ultra casual.

I was also on Riviera in October and can relay that indeed a few couples were turned away from tea for cargo shorts and flip-flops. This was a much more casual cruise than our previous trip on Marina (both in Europe).

On Marina we never saw anyone in the MDR or tea; in shorts and flip-flops, nor so many people in elevators, halls and public venues in bath robes. On the October cruise we saw many people dressed in shorts and t-shirts into the evening.

Not long off Marina and people wore smart casual shorts to Afternoon tea although I dont recall seeing flip flops. Never saw anyone turned away for wearing shorts and a polo or smart tee. Unless I am mistaken there is no mention of a dress code for Afternoon tea. I am with Lyn and while I do love the O Afternoon Tea I am not going to change just for it. Dress Code is somewhat oddly applied on O sometimes.

On our cruise I saw someone in a jacket and slacks asked to change their shoes because they looked like sport shoes (whatever that means) even though they looked quite smart to me and looked like they were leather. I thought it curious when I looked at other guests nearby in polo shirts and crumpled chinos and casual walk shoes. I guess dress codes get hard once you start to relax them.

If it was a port day, we always went to tea in whatever we wore during the day. Of course, if we did a tour in short, never going to happen, shorts, it would be uncomfortable to show up dressed like that. If you can walk around the ship in tees and shorts and be comfortable, you can go to tea the same way. Maybe I've missed posts over the years,but I don't remember this topic before.

Joan

We attended afternoon tea most days on Riviera and saw a range of dress.

I did notice, however, that many people were dressed quite nicely when Dansant Tea was offered. It's a grander version of afternoon tea when the culinary team go all out with sublime treats and beautiful displays. It's quite a bit more elegant than the usual afternoon tea.

I did notice, however, that many people were dressed quite nicely when Dansant Tea was offered. It's a grander version of afternoon tea when the culinary team go all out with sublime treats and beautiful displays. It's quite a bit more elegant than the usual afternoon tea.

I agree, people do get dressed a bit better for the Dansant Tea

very spectacular displays ...too nice to eat

Lyn

We are just back from the Marina, and attended the tea frequently and I had no idea that there was any form of dress code. That was, until one after noonwhen my wife suggested we go to tea and asked me to change out of shorts into long pants and I resisted. When sitting in Horizons I started comparing shorts versus long pants, and in my very unscientific survey it was shorts 65%+ versus long pants. Also, I was comfortable in sandals, along with the majority of other shorts wearers. Just conform to the “country club casual” suggestion and you will be comfortable.

Now, on Marina things may have been a little different as we were in hot areas so shorts were normal during the day for most people. On the other hand, possibly the quality of the music caused a degradation in the dress code. Rather than a soothing quartet we had a violin with an accordion for entertainment – not my dream marriage of instruments.

Archived