Any Trouble Using the Kindle Fire On Board?

Bandit236

I don't have a Kindle but do have Nook and it works fine. (Sometimes have to adjust the screen brightness depending on the sunlight and glare, etc.) And there are standard (as well as European) outlets in the staterooms to recharge it with. (and any other rechargeable item for that matter).

I used my fire a ton on my last cruise. I probably could have used a glare protector when reading on the pool deck, but I get pretty easily distracted there anyway.

One of the best tips I read on these boards was to bring a small extension cord because the outlets may, depending on your cabin configuration, be limited in number or in inconvenient locations. I love this one: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

Kindle Fire and direct sunlight do not work well together. I love my Fire except for sitting outside and trying to use it. I usually take my Kindle 2 on cruises which reads great in sunlight, like a book, but isn't readable at night without a light, but thats not a problem. I only use my Fire's wireless at home anyway, so the kindle 2 is easier to carry since it weighs so much less. DH has a Fire also, but we got him a Kindle e-paper for Christmas which is better overall as it is completely readable in sunlight or dark.

I used my fire a ton on my last cruise. I probably could have used a glare protector when reading on the pool deck, but I get pretty easily distracted there anyway.

One of the best tips I read on these boards was to bring a small extension cord because the outlets may, depending on your cabin configuration, be limited in number or in inconvenient locations. I love this one: http://www.amazon.com/Monster-MP-OTG400-BK-Outlets/dp/B000F9YN2M

Thank you for the tip! We are leaving for the Oasis in three weeks and they only have one elecrtrical outlet under the desk. I just ordered this from Amazon!

Three girls with hair dryers, flat irons, iPhones, camera batteries, etc!

Thank you for the tip! We are leaving for the Oasis in three weeks and they only have one elecrtrical outlet under the desk. I just ordered this from Amazon!

Three girls with hair dryers, flat irons, iPhones, camera batteries, etc!

You may want to check on that, I think it's been said here that hairdryers and irons are not allowed to be taken on board.

You may want to check on that, I think it's been said here that hairdryers and irons are not allowed to be taken on board.

Thanks but that's not true. The hair dryer is already in the room ;) and it is CLOTHES irons that are not allowed. You can bring curling and flat irons.

Kindle Fire and direct sunlight do not work well together. I love my Fire except for sitting outside and trying to use it. I usually take my Kindle 2 on cruises which reads great in sunlight, like a book, but isn't readable at night without a light, but thats not a problem. I only use my Fire's wireless at home anyway, so the kindle 2 is easier to carry since it weighs so much less. DH has a Fire also, but we got him a Kindle e-paper for Christmas which is better overall as it is completely readable in sunlight or dark.

THIS.

about the only place I could read was in the cabin with the curtains closed or in the evening before bed... not even the VCL in a somewhat dark corner was it comfortable. DH has my old Kindle( 1st gen) and he had zero issues at all.

to the point where I am SORELY tempted to buy a third Kindle just to load books on.

Thanks -- I just ordered two!

I have one like this just the upgraded model with the two usb ports. If you have mp3 players,iphones,readers or whatever that has a cord were the usb end plugs into the actual wall piece its worth the couple extra dollars. lets you leave a lot of chargers at home.

Thanks but that's not true. The hair dryer is already in the room ;) and it is CLOTHES irons that are not allowed. You can bring curling and flat irons.

ENTIRELY false. the only 'iron' that is banned is a CLOTHES iron.. hair implements are fine.

Well since he said dryers plural I implied they were bringing their own.

And I had no idea there were different types of irons. So I guess a "flat iron" is not an electrical gadget? Who knew.

Clearly I should stop giving advice about ladie's accessories.

I've got a fantastic screen protector for my fire, I can use it outside no problem. Now, if the sun is just over my shoulder, glaring right on the screen, yeah, it's a little hard to see, but this really helped cut down on the glare.

It's by Handheld Items on Amazon, and comes with a little stylus too, this is for a 3 pack...

http://www.amazon.com/Handhelditems-Anti-Fingerprint-Anti-Glare-Finishing-HandHelditems/dp/B0062TB8RC/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&qid=1359154201&sr=8-54&keywords=kindle+fire+screen+protector

I've got a fantastic screen protector for my fire, I can use it outside no problem. Now, if the sun is just over my shoulder, glaring right on the screen, yeah, it's a little hard to see, but this really helped cut down on the glare.

It's by Handheld Items on Amazon, and comes with a little stylus too, this is for a 3 pack...

http://www.amazon.com/Handhelditems-Anti-Fingerprint-Anti-Glare-Finishing-HandHelditems/dp/B0062TB8RC/ref=sr_1_54?ie=UTF8&qid=1359154201&sr=8-54&keywords=kindle+fire+screen+protector

Cool think i will order this. Got a Kindle Fire for Christmas and i love it. Took it to Hawaii with me this past week and the glare could get a little hard to read was workable. I actually used a folded piece of paper over the top.

Michele

Archived