Choice Air

crusinpeg

Deciding if the is in my best interest for an international flight....anyone had any experience good or bad?

We've always booked our international flights with RCI and now Choice Air and have always been pleased. You will find that many if not all international fares are much lower booking through Choice Air. I always look at what it would be booking direct and then booking with Choice Air before I make a decision.

We've had much the same experience with Choice Air as Patti described above. In addition, Choice Air gives you a unique payment method called Flex, where you pick your flights, freeze your prices, but don't have to pay until cruise final payment date. You only need to pay the Choice Air non-refundable service charge of $25pp ($15pp domestic).

We've always booked our international flights with RCI and now Choice Air and have always been pleased. You will find that many if not all international fares are much lower booking through Choice Air. I always look at what it would be booking direct and then booking with Choice Air before I make a decision.

Thanks...I asked this one our roll call as well and you replyed (Oct 22 Serenade)

I guess the problem is when I did more reading I saw alot of negative remarks re: Choice Air having many restrictions if there was a problem with the flight. I had mentioned to my husband that seeing your extensive cruise experience I should take your advice but I was just looking for some more input...look forward to seeing you on the Serenade in Oct.

Right now Choice Air and published air are close in price although with Choice Air I have to pay 25.00 pp

I guess another advantage with Choice Air though is I can purchase it now and get triple points on my credit card.

I read something about "Choice Air Plus" service which I guess is free since we're Emerald. Do you know anything about it? It sounds like just a service where you can place your reservation over the phone instead of online?

For me the savings would have to be substantial for me to book with Choice Air; too many risks if something goes wrong - IMHO one is much more likely to be accommodated easier if they are booked directly with the airlines versus through a third party - especially if it is a bulk fare ticket.

Thanks...I asked this one our roll call as well and you replyed (Oct 22 Serenade)

I guess the problem is when I did more reading I saw alot of negative remarks re: Choice Air having many restrictions if there was a problem with the flight. I had mentioned to my husband that seeing your extensive cruise experience I should take your advice but I was just looking for some more input...look forward to seeing you on the Serenade in Oct.

Right now Choice Air and published air are close in price although with Choice Air I have to pay 25.00 pp

I guess another advantage with Choice Air though is I can purchase it now and get triple points on my credit card.

I read something about "Choice Air Plus" service which I guess is free since we're Emerald. Do you know anything about it? It sounds like just a service where you can place your reservation over the phone instead of online?

From the Member's Benefits Page, Footnote # 9 for Platinum Members and Above....."Complimentary ChoiceAir Plus fee will only be waived once per reservation. The non-refundable $15.00 for travel in US/Canada and $25.00 for International travel for a ChoiceAir booking is not refundable. Fees for guests outside of North America are determined by the local Royal Caribbean Cruise Line office. For any additional changes made after the initial request, the normal custom air fee will be applied".

Even if you use a TA, you can emake your reservation either on-line or calling direct. I prefer calling them. The above fee is waived just once, so if you have to make a change in flights, you would have to pay the fee. Some of the flights are listed as"Refundable, but with penalty". The penalty would be $175pp if you had to cancel.

Yes, you will get triple points because it is an RCI transaction. We are doing Vision out of Copenhagen in June and I just booked our flights last month through Choice Air. We were pleased with price as well as the routing.

Yes, I noticed that we are on Serenade together. Looking forward to meeting you also. We have combined this cruise with the October 10th cruise. We are really looking forward to cruising to new places.

Anxious to go on our first Trans-Atlantic cruise. Hope to make lots of new friends as we travel with our long time friends on RCI beginning on Nov. 10.:)

Hi there and welcome to Cruise Critic. Here is the link to the roll call for your Transatlantic cruise NAVIGATOR NOV 10, 2013 TRANSATLANTIC BCN TO Galveston

Stop by and introduce yourself. This will give you a chance to chat with and get to know folks over the next several months that are doing the same cruise as you.

For me the savings would have to be substantial for me to book with Choice Air; too many risks if something goes wrong - IMHO one is much more likely to be accommodated easier if they are booked directly with the airlines versus through a third party - especially if it is a bulk fare ticket.

When flying international and booking Business Class, the savings are quite substantial. We have been very lucky so far and have always been advised of any schedule changes.

When flying domestic, we book direct with the airline as the savings are not as apparent.

We found that using Choice Air for our one-way flights between Boston and London before our westbound TA's has always resulted in substantial savings and have experienced no problems. I am not sure that domestic flights made through Choice Air offer similar savings but for international flights it has been a very good experience over a number of years.:)

When flying Business Class, the savings are quite substantial. We have been very lucky so far and have always been advised of any schedule changes.

Has nothing to do with being advised of schedule changes, has to do with priority in which you would be accommodated (and range of options available for accommodation) should one's flight be cancelled or greatly delayed. Bulk fare tickets (of which the deeply discounted Choice Air tickets generally are) come with a tons of restrictions that can create serious problems when irregular operation occur. So long as one's flight is not greatly delayed or cancelled, one will never realize their ticket was any different than a full fare ticket purchased directly from the airline.

We found that using Choice Air for our one-way flights between Boston and London before our westbound TA's has always resulted in substantial savings and have experienced no problems. I am not sure that domestic flights made through Choice Air offer similar savings but for international flights it has been a very good experience over a number of years.:)

Again, the "problems" only would materialize if your plane was greatly delayed or cancelled; if neither of these occur the deeply discounted, bulk fare tickets will indeed appear the same as the more expensive fare sold directly by the airline. However do not think that the deeply discounted ticket is the same as the more expensive one sold by the airline - they are completely different and bulk fare tickets carry a host of severe restrictions when plans go awry. I am not saying to avoid Choice Air (I have used them myself and likely will use them again some day), but it is prudent to be aware that the cheap one way international fares Choice Air sells have some disadvantages.

We recently booked using choice air. We wanted business class to London. The airline- Delta would not book a coach class from my home town to NY and then business to London. With Choice air that was the option that came up for me. Saved a bundle since a call to Delta, I was told you could not book that way with Delta in their system. I had to do business on all legs for them to book it in their system.

I was worried at first that the flights were not together so to speak and if my first flight was delayed and I missed that second flight, I was going to loose it. But the Delta rep I spoke to assured me the flights were not separate and I was fine. The ticket was over a grand a seat cheaper this way.

Again, the "problems" only would materialize if your plane was greatly delayed or cancelled; if neither of these occur the deeply discounted, bulk fare tickets will indeed appear the same as the more expensive fare sold directly by the airline. However do not think that the deeply discounted ticket is the same as the more expensive one sold by the airline - they are completely different and bulk fare tickets carry a host of severe restrictions when plans go awry. I am not saying to avoid Choice Air (I have used them myself and likely will use them again some day), but it is prudent to be aware that the cheap one way international fares Choice Air sells have some disadvantages.

I've read many posts about potential problems with bulk tickets, and how the airlines might not accommodate tickets purchased through Choice Air as they would other types of tickets. I don't know if this is true or not since we have had good luck with Choice Air, so far.

However, if there were some sort of problem, say cancelled flights or missed connections, I was wondering if Choice Air would be handling the arrangements, as opposed to the passenger dealing directly the airlines. In other words, would the ticket type make a difference since Choice Air would have to make things right? Or am I just being overly optimistic and Choice Air would wash their hands of the situation and tell us to deal directly with the airlines?

Thank you all for your responses.....from what I've read Choice Air sounds like a good deal if the fares are lower.. which in my case they are by about 35.00 per person ..plus it states its "refundable" which booking direct is not..I guess my only question now is if I need Choice Air Plus or not.

Booked Choice Air on Azamara(part of RCI) a few weeks ago. Booked business class and saved 20% off my fare plus Azamara gave me a nice credit on my cruise. Checked the prices today and the airline prices continue to climb. I hope it works out as I've never used Choice Air before.

I've read many posts about potential problems with bulk tickets, and how the airlines might not accommodate tickets purchased through Choice Air as they would other types of tickets. I don't know if this is true or not since we have had good luck with Choice Air, so far.

However, if there were some sort of problem, say cancelled flights or missed connections, I was wondering if Choice Air would be handling the arrangements, as opposed to the passenger dealing directly the airlines. In other words, would the ticket type make a difference since Choice Air would have to make things right? Or am I just being overly optimistic and Choice Air would wash their hands of the situation and tell us to deal directly with the airlines?

Anecdotal stories from pax have indicated that there is no clear cut answer. Would Choice Air handle the arrangements if your flight was cancelled or you missed a connection? They will tell you yes. Some pax who booked CA and had this happen say yes. Other pax who booked CA and had this happen say no, they called CA and CA told them to talk to the airline directly.

As far as the assumption that "Choice Air would have to make things right," be careful that you don't get caught up in the Choice Air verbiage that makes it sound like they offer all sorts of guarantees. They don't, and they can't, as it's largely out of their control. Ultimately, your re-accommodation will be up to the airline, and will be dependent on 1) when they have seats available to re-accommodate you, and 2) when and how the restrictions of your ticket allow you to be re-accommodated. Bulk type tickets (including the cheapest Choice Air tickets) may have such restrictions as "cannot be rerouted." This means that if your JFK-MIA flight is cancelled, and the other JFK-MIA flights that day are booked, but there is a JFK-ATL-MIA flight with seats, they may not put you on it, even though there are seats available. You'll have to wait until tomorrow when there is a seat on a JFK-MIA flight, even though it might mean missing your cruise departure. Yes, this is a worst case scenario, but it could happen. I mention it simply to say again, be careful assuming that Choice Air "would have to make things right."

There's no doubt that on international tickets, Choice Air may save you a bundle. Just be aware that those savings have a cost. As long as you go into it with your eyes open and understand what you're buying and the possible risks, you can then do a price vs. risk evaluation and decide if it suits you.

I have used Choice Air three times with a fourth coming up the end of April. In the first three, I have paid about 1/4 of what I would have paid by buying directly through the airline. That amountys to about $7,000 in savings. I'm booked on British Airways, the end of April, from Rome to Phoenix. Rome to London, one hour and fifteen minute layover in London. Nonstop to Phoenix. We get home shortly after 5pm on the day we leave, and pay about 1/4 of what we would booking directly through British Airways. Once we got the conformation number, we went to BA website and changed seats to the ones we wanted. What's all the restrictions I've read about?

Domestic flights are entirely different (US). I always book through the airline.

We were on the TA from London to Miami, on the Constellation in December. The online travel agent I use had two reps on board since over 400 people on this cruise booked through them. When asked about Choice Air, the sales manager, with fourteen years experience said, if there is a substancil price savings, use Choice Air. "I've been doing this for fourteen dsays and have received "0" complaints about Choice Air reservations. If you're adverse to risk, and saving alot of money, go with the airline.

Gonzo70, your replies to this thread seem to be cut and paste from posts you have made on other choice air threads in the past. You keep referring to severe restriction when plans go awry. I have use choice air with no problems. Are your statements as a result of what has happened to you personally(if so give us an example) or is it just based on heresay. It would help the good folks on this thread in making up their mind on whether the risk is worth it. I already have personally saved enough money by booking throuhg choice air to take the same risk in the future.

Gonzo70, your replies to this thread seem to be cut and paste from posts you have made on other choice air threads in the past. You keep referring to severe restriction when plans go awry. I have use choice air with no problems. Are your statements as a result of what has happened to you personally(if so give us an example) or is it just based on heresay. It would help the good folks on this thread in making up their mind on whether the risk is worth it. I already have personally saved enough money by booking throuhg choice air to take the same risk in the future.

I am just making stuff up. :rolleyes:

If you want to be so gullible as to think that tickets selling for hundreds less than the airline is selling are the same tickets with the same fare rules, be my guest.

You say you have used Choice Air with no problems; that means you have not purchased deeply discounted fares AND had your flight cancelled, missed a connection or been so delayed that you would have missed your cruise. If you purchase these rock bottom fares Choice Air sells and one of these issues arises, that is when the problems arise. When a flight carrying 200 people is cancelled and all these people need to be squeezed onto limited numbers of open seats on other flights guess who is at the end of the line for reaccommodation? Hint: Not the people who paid hundreds more and booked with the airline.

Choice Air can save a lot of money and therefore is worth considering (again I have used Choice Air before and likely will use it again) but it is naive and foolish to not realize that there are RISKS of purchasing deeply discounted Choice Air fares; to be an informed traveler one must weight these risks with the reward of saving a lot of money.

Once we got the conformation number, we went to BA website and changed seats to the ones we wanted. What's all the restrictions I've read about?

Being able to choose your seat has nothing to do with it. I already gave an example of a possible restriction on a consolidator type ticket, but here it is again. It's simply an example of what could happen:

Sample itinerary- JFK-MIA, at 6:00am the day of the cruise.

Restriction- if there are flight disruptions, you cannot be rerouted.

Meaning: Your 6am flight is cancelled. There is another JFK-MIA flight at 10:00 but it is booked solid. There is a 7:00am flight departing JFK, connecting at ATL, and arriving in MIA at 1:00pm and there are 3 seats left. But, since the restrictions on your ticket say you cannot be rerouted, you can't take this flight. You can only be routed directly from JFK to MIA. Other pax on your flight who booked directly through the airline get put on the flight to ATL connecting to MIA. Others get switched to a flight that goes straight to FLL where they can get ground transportation to MIA. Still others are put on another airline's direct flight to MIA, at the expense of the original airline. Your only option is the 6:00pm flight JFK-MIA, but alas, the ship will have sailed then. Choice Air puts you on the 6:00pm flight and pays for your hotel in MIA. The next day is a sea day, so you stay in MIA another day. The day after that they flight you to San Juan to meet your cruise. It is now day 3 of your cruise.

Will it always happen like that? No, probably not. Will it sometimes happen like that? Yes, probably so. But since you cannot predict the likelihood of either in advance, with any certainty, you need to decide whether the cost savings are worth the risk. Everyone has a different risk tolerance so it's an individual decision. The key is know what the possibilities are. Simply saying "we've booked Choice Air 3 times and never had a problem" means nothing.

Being able to choose your seat has nothing to do with it. I already gave an example of a possible restriction on a consolidator type ticket, but here it is again. It's simply an example of what could happen:

Sample itinerary- JFK-MIA, at 6:00am the day of the cruise.

Restriction- if there are flight disruptions, you cannot be rerouted.

Meaning: Your 6am flight is cancelled. There is another JFK-MIA flight at 10:00 but it is booked solid. There is a 7:00am flight departing JFK, connecting at ATL, and arriving in MIA at 1:00pm and there are 3 seats left. But, since the restrictions on your ticket say you cannot be rerouted, you can't take this flight. You can only be routed directly from JFK to MIA. Other pax on your flight who booked directly through the airline get put on the flight to ATL connecting to MIA. Others get switched to a flight that goes straight to FLL where they can get ground transportation to MIA. Still others are put on another airline's direct flight to MIA, at the expense of the original airline. Your only option is the 6:00pm flight JFK-MIA, but alas, the ship will have sailed then. Choice Air puts you on the 6:00pm flight and pays for your hotel in MIA. The next day is a sea day, so you stay in MIA another day. The day after that they flight you to San Juan to meet your cruise. It is now day 3 of your cruise.

Will it always happen like that? No, probably not. Will it sometimes happen like that? Yes, probably so. But since you cannot predict the likelihood of either in advance, with any certainty, you need to decide whether the cost savings are worth the risk. Everyone has a different risk tolerance so it's an individual decision. The key is know what the possibilities are. Simply saying "we've booked Choice Air 3 times and never had a problem" means nothing.

But Choice Air tickets are not consolitator type tickets...

But Choice Air tickets are not consolitator type tickets...

The deeply discounted one way fares they sell are generally bulk fare tickets - in terms of fare rules no difference even if they choose to call them by a different name.

The deeply discounted one way fares they sell are generally bulk fare tickets - in terms of fare rules no difference even if they choose to call them by a different name.

But for the record, not every unpublished fare is a consolidator fare; military discounts, corporate discounts, and other specially negotiated fares - such as cruise and package fares - are also considered "unpublished" and are almost never consolidator fares.

Archived