LIVE from the Grand Princess - 49 days from FLL thru South America to SFO

Pia1913

Do they always transfer unused minutes from one cruise to the next on a B2B?

Yes always if you have paid for them.

Only sometimes if they are the free minutes that come with platinum/elite status. Depends on the willingness of the Internet Cafe manager.

Can someone walk me through the steps of posting photos. I tried through CC "manage attachments" but keep getting an error message. Is their another site that I can use?

Thanks!

Tom:)

Used to use Webshots, but that site is no longer. Uploaded my photos to Photobucket for my December cruise. My gripe is that it doesn't keep the photos in the order that you upload them in (or at least, not for me, even though I set the user setting to do so). So I divided them up by pre-Hawaii, each port, and post-Hawaii, and even then started using a letter in front of my captions to make it easier to find them to post here. But I'm not paying any fees.

Others use other photo-share sites so maybe they're recommend them.

You don't use the Manage Attachments button, but copy and paste a link, which will automatically insert your photo.

We just got "Pitch Perfect" this afternoon at the Redbox, so we'll watch it tonight. Unfortunately, they don't have "Skyfall" or "Argo" yet.

Good morning from still at sea; will arrive Callao Peru approx. noon. The internet remains almost nonexistent except for early morning. Something we have never seen except on this ship is the following message: “please try again later. Too many passengers already logged in.”

Some info for those interested:

Callao, is the port for the city of Lima, Peru’s capital, but the two cities have merged and the area is now basically one huge metropolis of 8 million people. It was founded by Pizarro (you know you learned this in history) in 1635 and is known as City of Kings. Ironically, it is named for three Oriental kings. As in most major South American cities, this one also has a Plaza de Armas; the main square. We first visited this area about 15 years ago and did all the requisite sightseeing; museums, churches and ruins. One of our friends took the Nazca Lines excursion, which as I recall cost about $500. Princess no longer offers it. You take a teeny weeny plane to view immense drawings of animals, birds and geometric figures which can range up to 1,000 feet across. She said it was worth it. Different strokes. There’s a book which you can peruse which explains it; Chariots of the Gods.

Before I forget, Paul, and whoever else wanted the info, yes, Capt. Herriott and also the hotel manager are getting off in SFO. They are both going on vacation and will return to this ship whenever. Sammi will still be the CD for the Hawaii run and then she goes on vacation and resumes her next contract on either the Star or the Diamond.

If anyone had told me I would sitting in a theater watching a puppet show, I would have gotten hysterical and said: NO WAY! Well folks, WAY. We did go to the marionette show last night and it was absolutely wonderful. If you ever have the opportunity to see the Huber Marionettes, don’t pass it by. We also ran (great for my ankle) to the Vista to catch the Tim Walkoe (the comedian) show. I’m still laughing. This guy is fantastic. We sure lucked out; two great shows in one night.

Now for today. As mentioned above, we are due to arrive into Callao, the port for Lima, at about noon. We will be in port overnight, departure scheduled for 1:30 PM tomorrow. There will be a port shuttle service from ship to gates since passengers are not allowed to walk in the port area. I recall a large warehouse area right in the port where you can buy EVERYTHING. All sorts of souvenirs from little stuff to woolens to rugs. We’ll see if they are still there.

Meanwhile, on board this morning will be a book club meeting; will pass on this one. The books are The Help and Before I go to Sleep. The puppeteer, Phillip Huber, will be presenting a lecture and demonstrationof “Behind the Strings” -we will try to attend this.

In the afternoon the movie Life of Pi will be shown in Vista at 1:30 and that’s also part of tonight’s entertainment, again in Vista at 8:30. Premium Rush will be shown in the theater at 3:00. Tonight’s offerings is the movie Here Comes the Boom on MUTS and a folkloric show in the theater (2 shows; one at 8, the other at 10).

We just received notice that we were supposed to load fuel in Ecuador and their refinery has stopped functioning. This means we will load fuel here, the pools will be drained and no laundry facilities available for the next two days. I'm sure we will all survive. ;)

Sun came up very early, so now we get an earlier start today. I would like to go back to the gym, but my keeper says not yet.

Later. Satellite permitting.

We just received notice that we were supposed to load fuel in Ecuador and their refinery has stopped functioning. This means we will load fuel here.

Last year on this cruise we were due in Callao at 6 AM (one day only, no overnight), but the port was fogged in and we did not get to dock until around noon. I think the only reason we did wait around for the fog to lift was because the ship had to load fuel there in order to continue the voyage.

There is a nice market right across from the ship in the port, don't bother going to the gates, its a rough area right outside the port. The shopping is good, it gets better as the departure grows closer! I know you will look but probably not buy anything! I got a great ipad case/purse for $5 there and wish I would have bought another since I gave it away!

Enjoy, Mike should find a golf shirt easy at the market.

Last year on this cruise we were due in Callao at 6 AM (one day only, no overnight), but the port was fogged in and we did not get to dock until around noon. I think the only reason we did wait around for the fog to lift was because the ship had to load fuel there in order to continue the voyage.

On that cruise, we had two or three busloads of people waiting to depart on a two-night excursion to Machu Picchu. They ended up having to spend the night in Lima and then fly out very early the next morning.

Just popping in because I can and really have nothing to say. Amelia, there are no golf shirts; only tees and very few of them too. We never intended to take a taxi to town, so didn't bother with the shuttle to the gate. Met some people who went in and they bought the same stuff there that was being sold right out our door.

We saw the puppet guys lecture this morning; extremely interesting and he had a full theater. We also saw Life of Pi. Too long and just OK. My opinion.

Just had ice cream cone and will relax on our balcony. Folks who left on a private Macchu Picchu tour 4 days ago just returning. See you tomorrow.

Thanks for the help. I used Photo Bucket. I had to download the photo link one by one plus you can only load 6 photos at one time.

Tom:D

You're welcome. I think the 6 photo limit is some limitation on the part of Cruise Critic. But if I'm wrong, someone else can talk about any photo sharing site that will allow more photos in one post.

You're welcome. I think the 6 photo limit is some limitation on the part of Cruise Critic. But if I'm wrong' date=' someone else can talk about any photo sharing site that will allow more photos in one post.[/quote']

The limit on the number of photos in a CC post is a CC limit, not a limit of any photo sharing site.

You can either make multiple posts to get groups of 6 pictures posted on CC or build an album on a photo sharing site and post a link to that album.

Good morning folks; still here in Callao. We intended to sleep in, but sunrise is so early that it got us up before the alarm. Nowhere to go; nothing to do. I guess it will be an earlier breakfast again.

We went to the folkloric show last night and I don’t understand why I subject myself to these things. I just don’t care for them, but it’s something to do. And this one was soooooooooooo long. Hey, not all days are interesting.

This morning on board nothing scheduled; we depart at 2:00 PM. Matinee movie in the theater is Chasing Mavericks and at 2:30 you can learn how to tie a sarong. No other movies and nothing on MUTS.

Tonight there’s a movie in Vista; Amour. MUTS will show Life of Pi and in the theater a duo billed as Two on Tap. The verbiage tells us they are a song and dance duo like Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers.

Joe, don't know anyone personally to ask about MP security. This was not a Princess shorex.

Feeding time.

Hi Pia

Can you find out if the Grand still has a golf simulator, one website says they do, another said its been replaced with another activity. Just wondering?? I will be on the Grand to Hawaii the 16th of March and hope that activity still exists.

Hi Pia

Can you find out if the Grand still has a golf simulator, one website says they do, another said its been replaced with another activity. Just wondering?? I will be on the Grand to Hawaii the 16th of March and hope that activity still exists.

A post has confirmed the golf simulator has been replaced by the Platinum Photo Studio as on other ships.

We went to the folkloric show last night and I don’t understand why I subject myself to these things. I just don’t care for them, but it’s something to do.

I hate folklore shows, too. Glad it's not just me. I always feel vaguely guilty, like I'm not a "real" traveler, for disliking that sort of thing so much. In my defense, at least I'm not a xenophobe: my dislike includes American folklore.

Good Tuesday morning on what appears to be a sunny and warm day at sea as we float towards Ecuador. Temp today expected to be in the 80’s.

We had a different kind of dinner last night; wine and cheese and veggies in Vista. You get to a point when you really don’t want any more food and this served us well. Stayed in the Elite lounge for the movie Amour, a French film a bit disjointed. After more than an hour, the film cut out and an announcement made they would try to fix it. We decided not to stay. I later discovered that MUTS had also cut out, so it must have been the entire system. In any event, we can figure out the ending ourselves.

This morning there are several things to do:

1. Attend a destination lecture on Puntarenas

2. Attend a health seminar on the powers of seaweed

3. Attend a tropical rum tasting and perhaps win a bottle

4. Attend a lecture on Two Great Canals - Suez and Panama

5. Find out how to burn fat faster

Afternoon offerings start with us going to the most traveled luncheon at noon, so we will miss John Maxtone-Graham’s The Only Way to Cross lecture. Then again, we’ve heard it several times and we own the book by the same name. The afternoon movie in the theater is Here Comes the Boom and MUTS is showing The Devil Wears Prada.

Tonight has a juggler performing in the theater (Jaz Danion), vocalist Tony B from a few nights ago in Vista, and Skyfall on MUTS. This does not sound like an exciting night for us. I will google the movie, but the showings are not at good times. Don’t need to make decisions now.

Re: Golf question. Someone asked; someone answered . I have no information other than one of our friends who was on for the first 19 days played golf every day, so I imagine there is golf going on up above. On deck 16. What has not been advertised is Platinum Studio, so golf could not have been replaced by that.

Annie: I knew we had something in common :D

Later Gators (and all others ;)

I have received an complementary upgrade from Princess through my AAA agent on the May 10th Alaska Cruise from Cat. BE C deck to Cat. BB A deck mid aft. On the Princess web site it shows that those staterooms are sold out. Anybody else ever get an upgrade from Princess? This is the first cruise that I have received a FREE upgrade so I am impressed plus my first cruise on Princess. Other that being on a higher deck any difference between BE and BB Cat?

I have received an complementary upgrade from Princess through my AAA agent on the May 10th Alaska Cruise from Cat. BE C deck to Cat. BB A deck mid aft. On the Princess web site it shows that those staterooms are sold out. Anybody else ever get an upgrade from Princess? This is the first cruise that I have received a FREE upgrade so I am impressed plus my first cruise on Princess. Other that being on a higher deck any difference between BE and BB Cat?

In my opinion, that is not an upgrade :( With the exception of the accessible cabins, the interior of all balcony cabins is the same. Your Cat BE Caribe deck balcony was 9' x 9' and partially covered while your Cat BB Aloha deck cabin is 5' x 9' and fully covered. Before the Fleet Recategorization program which is being implemented on the Grand on May 9th, both cabins were category BB. You Cat BE cabin is forward and you might be affected by motion somewhat more, but the balcony is much nicer IMHO.

Archived