How do I rectify issue caused by online booker

vince5251

Wife and I booked late April 2013 cruise with online booking agent on 4 Oct 12. As requested category was full, except for the "accessible" room that the agent had available in this category, we were told that the room was bookable as it then considered open within the category. Room was booked as this was the category and rate we needed. As of this afternoon, 28 Jan, upon calling to confirm final payment, we are now told by answering agent that we will need to take a lesser category room or pay current rate difference for a room, as we do not require an "accessible" room. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? How best to handle this, as I am awaiting more information from booking agent at this time? Any advice will help.

How best to handle this, as I am awaiting more information from booking agent at this time? Any advice will help.

I don't think you have many choices. When you booked an accessible room you agreed to the contract (whether you know it or not) that states if someone needs that room they will have priority and you will be bumped. I'd chalk it up to a lesson learned.

I would tell my booking agent I don't appreciate being lead astray, they really shouldn't have put you in that room in the first place.

This was presented by travel agent as an option, as all other cabins within the category were taken. Not being a travel agent, and not having any paperwork in hand, let alone a contract, there is no way of doing anything other than go by the agent's recommendation / training / ethics. This should not fall back on the customer, when the agency that the agent represents should have either done better training, or should be willing to correct the agents error. I, the customer, do not have the means by which to do anything other than go by what is stated. There is a reason people go through the travel agent; if I knew the ins-and-outs of the cruise industry, I wouldn't have gone through an agent.

Anyone else ever experience such? How did you rectify?

If they took your money and booked you in a HA cabin, then I would say if they want to change your cabin it should be on their dollar. You booked in good faith with a deposit and they should provide you with the category you booked or better. Good luck.

Just got off of the phone with the online booking agency. Earlier today, the room would only be changed at cost to me, or a downgraded to an equivalent "current" rate. I was told that they would review the transcript of the phone call with the booking agent. However, I did place a phone call to the Clark Howard Show (Radio) this afternoon and was provided a name and phone number; this got me off to a good start. After researching some more, I located the names to the CEO's for the corporation and placed a phone call. Did not reach either of the CEO's, but did speak with the one CEO's administrator. She was very helpful. Our room has now been changed and I am certainly satisfied at this point. I can only hope that all goes well once we're at the ship. We did not ask for, nor expect, anything other than an equivalent room - without penalty. We actually are very easy to please.

Wife and I booked late April 2013 cruise with online booking agent on 4 Oct 12. As requested category was full, except for the "accessible" room that the agent had available in this category, we were told that the room was bookable as it then considered open within the category. Room was booked as this was the category and rate we needed. As of this afternoon, 28 Jan, upon calling to confirm final payment, we are now told by answering agent that we will need to take a lesser category room or pay current rate difference for a room, as we do not require an "accessible" room. Has anyone ever been in a similar situation? How best to handle this, as I am awaiting more information from booking agent at this time? Any advice will help.

If the cruise is embarking from a USA Port than the TA should have never booked you in an accessible cabin. As of January 1, 2012 a new Federal Law under the Department of Transportation ( commonly referred to as DOT) became effective that requires that the cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin .

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Because of this new law RCCL requires that the passenger has to certify their need for an accessible cabin. Since you are unable to certify that someone in the booking has a mobility and or physical disability that requires the features of the accessible cabin than RCCL is well within the scope of the law to relocate you. Your issue should not be with RCCL but rather the TA that booked you in an accessible . The fact that you booked back in October 2012 for an April 2013 the accessible cabin in question would not have been considered an open category or open inventory as it was well before the final payment period for the cruise in question. Under this Law the time that is considered to be open category or open inventory allowing an able body person to book an accessible cabin is after final payment period has past and the cruise is than allowed to open sale of the unsold accessible cabins to the general public.

My problem WAS NEVER with Royal. Truthfully, I really don't think that there was a problem with either the online agency or agent. Do I think that a mistake was made? Absolutely.

This only became an issue today, as I called the agency to make my final payment. In doing so, the agent was instructing me on my need to complete the online registration through Royal Caribbean. I explained that I had done so, but that my only concern came about in the "confirmation process" with RCCL in reference to the accessible room - that we did not require. I also explained that whenever I got to that section of the process, I even went as far as to call RCCL in reference to the situation. In the time that I sat on hold waiting to speak with RCCL, I continued to read the agreement that contains a disclaimer identifying that if the room was book "under ... circumstances . . ." (basically along the lines of what the agent stated - once all regular rooms are booked, held accessible rooms become open booking) I did not need to complete that section.

In explaining this to the agent that was going to take my final payment, this came into question. Her concern, rightly so, was that we would get to the ship and get hassled. In attempting to rectify the situation, it became a situation. I was told that this became a situation for the fact that some individuals do attempt to book these rooms fraudulently (I was later told that this only became an issue, as we booked during a large sale, with many early bookings, and that as final payments came due some opened back up - thus not appearing that the room was booked according to law.)

As explained, law does protect these rooms; however, these rooms DO NOT sit unbooked in the hopes that someone requiring an accessible room might wish to do so. Once the open booking rooms are booked in-full, the accessible rooms then become open booking as well.

Apparently, I just happened to hit the right person, at the right time, and they wanted to do us a favor by ensuring that there were no issues at sailing. In the process, the initial issue become lost in translation, due to circumstance. T

This is my life!

Yes . . .Clark Howard is the BOMB! Whether this could have been handled sooner or not, I was not wanting to wait until my actual final payment date (1 Feb.) to find out that I could not rectify this to my satisfaction. The Clark Howard Show was a catalysis to getting quick, satisfactory resolution.

Again, we a very easily satisfied and all I wanted was satisfactory resolution. At this point I AM satisfied. Once the cruise is complete and all has gone well, I will mention the online agency. I am not out to sully anyone's livelihood, but will give them Kudos after-the-fact if all fares well.

As a sidebar:

Clark Howard did state that if the booking agent (1) booked the room in good faith, and (2) took any monies in the process of holding such, they are "bound by said contract" to fulfill the contract accordingly or satisfactorily.

Once the cruise is complete and all has gone well, I will mention the online agency. I am not out to sully anyone's livelihood, but will give them Kudos after-the-fact if all fares well.
Please do NOT do this, it is against Cruise Critic policies to name agencies or TAs in either good or bad circumstances. The Guidelines are at the top of the page in the horizontal menu bar.;)

Glad that all came out well in the end, but it stinks that you had to suffer because of an error made by another.....but in all walks of life, it happens, so sometimes ya do what ya gotta do!

It is great that you took an active role in dealing with this rather than letting it go until the last minute where the outcome might not have been so good. It is a lesson we can all take from this.....WE are ultimately responsible for ourselves and need to take an active role in all aspects of our lives (as the saying goes "trust, but verify").

I do hope that you enjoy your cruise and put the hassle behind you.....but somehow, I know you will! :D

Please do NOT do this, it is against Cruise Critic policies to name agencies or TAs in either good or bad circumstances. The Guidelines are at the top of the page in the horizontal menu bar.;)

Op did not not violate CC policy as she did not state the actual name of the TA. FYI Clark Howard hosts a travel deals radio talk show.

Op did not not violate CC policy as she did not state the actual name of the TA. FYI Clark Howard hosts a travel deals radio talk show.

You may want to read the last paragraph in message #8 that is what Cheryl was commenting on

Archived