House wine on RCL?

Hi all, I`m thinking of getting the new "Premium Drinks package" and was wondering what RCL classify as the "house wine"? Does this include glasses of all wines on the "Wine Package" or should i purchase this as well?

Royal has been non-specific on what constitutes a house wine for the purposes of the drink packages. It does not include glasses of all wines in the wine package. I don't understand why they can unambiguously indicate exactly what beers are included (anything less than $6.25) and they cannot do they same for wine. Sorry, had to rant a bit.

Apparently, the exact label for "house wine" can vary from ship to ship, which may be one reason it's so hard to get an answer from RCL. But the current alcohol packages have extremely limited wine options and will not include wines available in the Wine & Dine Pacakges.

I was on the Brilliance last week and the house wines included in the Premium Beverage Package (PI) wereLa Terre Chardonnay (the only white wine option), La Terre Merlot, La Terre Caberbet Sauvignon, Beringer White Zinfandel and a house sparkling wine (sorry, not sure exactly what this was). Not very "premium". All were pretty terrible.

And on Jewel in the CL and Diamond Event, it was a label called St. Marten. I tried Googling it, but kept getting ideas for excursions.:p The red was pretty good, but the white was, IMO, a step down from La Terre (I actually thought that the LT was at keast drinkable some of the time, but the SM was bitter).

But if you go to a bar, none of the wines offered on the menu are the house wine, so the least expensive offering is Castle Rock, which is actually pretty good stuff. I wonder if the bartenders will have wine on tap now...;)

We were on independence last April and had the beer and wine package, there was only one choice of white got fed up with it after a few days and tried the rose which was quite nice, I would imagine there would be a bit more choice on the premium package.

Janec16

We were on independence last April and had the beer and wine package, there was only one choice of white got fed up with it after a few days and tried the rose which was quite nice, I would imagine there would be a bit more choice on the premium package.

Janec16

In this case, your imagination is too optimistic.;)

Yeah, the drink package is not really targeted at wine drinkers. I'm not any kind of super wine snob. I've had house wine at various RC events onboard. It's not horrible, but it's not something that would make you say, "Mmmm."

As a minimum, bring 2 bottles of your desired wine on board at embarkation. We plan on doing the Premium package on our spring break cruise but I also plan on bringing my own wine and bubbly on board. DH likes wine with dinner so he can just carry a glass into the MDR and deal with a house wine refill if he needs one. Our family is split across 3 cabins with only two adults but we plan on carrying on our 2 bottles per cabin anyway :)

As a minimum, bring 2 bottles of your desired wine on board at embarkation. We plan on doing the Premium package on our spring break cruise but I also plan on bringing my own wine and bubbly on board. DH likes wine with dinner so he can just carry a glass into the MDR and deal with a house wine refill if he needs one. Our family is split across 3 cabins with only two adults but we plan on carrying on our 2 bottles per cabin anyway :)

If you only have two people 21 or older you will only be allowed 2 bottles (or 4 bottles if the two adults are in separate cabins). Bringing 6 bottles would be against the rules but you may get away with it. But be prepared to have some of your wine confiscated if you are caught.

I take it your not traveling with RC then?

If you are referring to me, yes, I am traveling with RC. There is a new policy in place to carry wine on board. And the policy also states 2 bottles per cabin, not 2 bottles per adult or adult cabin.

Per RCCL website:

Q: Can I bring liquor or non-alcoholic beverages (from home or from a port) onboard?

A: Guests are not allowed to bring beer, hard liquor or non-alcoholic beverages onboard for consumption or any other use. Guests wishing to bring personal wine and champagne onboard may do so only on boarding day, limited to two (2) 750 ml bottles per stateroom. When consumed in any public area, each bottle shall be subject to a corkage fee of $25.00. Additional bottles of wine beyond two (2) bottles that are brought onboard or any alcoholic beverages purchased in ports-of-call or from Shops On Board will be stored by the ship and delivered to your stateroom on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.

The point is, the premium drink package is definitely geared toward the liquor drinker but if you only want an occasional glass of wine, just bring your favorite on board. In our case, my husband is the only one in our group who will want an occasional glass of wine so we will bring some of his favorite along.

With all of the various wine packages RCCL has available, it is easy to see why they don't include anything but the house wine in the drink packages. That would definitely be cash loser for them.

In our case, my husband is the only one in our group who will want an occasional glass of wine so we will bring some of his favorite along.

That sounds a little more than "occasional" if you're taking along 6 bottles of wine just for your husband (2 per cabin x 3 cabins). :p

That sounds a little more than "occasional" if you're taking along 6 bottles of wine just for your husband (2 per cabin x 3 cabins). :p

LOL, better safe than sorry :o

I was actually planning on taking along some champagne as well. I guess the house is included but I want to have something i like for sail away with our group. But yes, maybe we won't need six :p We only just decided to do the premium package so I guess we need to rethink all of previous plans for wine and rum runners ;)

I guess the other option is take those extra bottles of wine along on our shore excursions. No one ever talks about taking liquor off the boat, only getting it back on :p

Does anyone know the cost of a glass of house wine? Someone on our cruise asked and I wasn't sure. I am thinking if you are a wine drinker (which I am) the drink package may not be a good idea. I purchased the premium wine package a while back and now the lists have changed. I hope they still have some the wine we were planning on drinking on the Allure this Sunday!

Does anyone know the cost of a glass of house wine? Someone on our cruise asked and I wasn't sure. I am thinking if you are a wine drinker (which I am) the drink package may not be a good idea. I purchased the premium wine package a while back and now the lists have changed. I hope they still have some the wine we were planning on drinking on the Allure this Sunday!

I forget the exact price, but I think it's around $6.

• 11 months later...

I have a newbie question regarding house wine. Is house wine available by the carafe or 1/2 carafe? We are perfectly happy drinking house wine, but with four in our group, a carafe would last through dinner and dancing!:rolleyes:

Also, if we get a bottle of wine at dinner (MDR) can we walk out with it, take it to another bar to finish off?

lei