Informal Survey: have you had your booze "collected for safe keeping"?

Canuckleheadd

People tell too much here!!!!!!!!

They read these posts so it is your own fault that we can't do this anymore.

Keep your secrets to yourself!!! or share them offline.

Same as for the best cabins on the ship - can't get close to them anymore.

Stop telling everyone!!!! Now everyone tries to get them.

There is so much good information here but if we aren't suppose to do something -

THEN

Don't brag that you do it.

Amen!! And well said!

I think there has been and will continue to be a difference in the way they treat taking on wine/champagne and liquor. Passengers were never supposed to bring on liquor but wine and beer have always been OK - at embarkation and from ports.

The new policy says 1 bottle of wine per person, per voyage. When they begin to enforce this, there will be a $15 corkage fee for any other bottles of wine brought on, no matter where you plan to drink it (MDR or cabin).

IMHO they are working up to enforcement. It's just a matter of how much time passes before they decide we have had enough warning/notification. I printed boarding passes and luggage tags for our 2/25 cruise on the Star yesterday - there was a notice about the new policy on both. Folks who printed theirs earlier do not have those notices.

My question at this point is mainly about the new wine policy. I think enforcement of the no liquor policy has always been hit or miss whether they collect it or not.

For our March 8 cruise there is nothing new added to the boarding pass or luggage tags. I printed them out about two weeks ago. I hope they will wait 75 days from the first notice to enforce. For instance if I didn't read CC, I would go to the pier assuming nothing had changed. I think they'll have to make it widely know well before hand: ie, everyone has it on their boarding passes, before they start enforcing it. It was a LONG time between their announcement of new smoking policy before implementing. Just my opinion. I do agree with previous poster about telling so much, although I've done it myself too... shame on me!:o

There is so much good information here but if we aren't suppose to do something -

THEN

Attention Princess Cruise staffer reading this post:

I know you have thousands and thousands of pages to go through but I am sure you get through them all eventually. What a great job you have, how do I apply for that job if you're hiring? And would I have to monitor only Cruise Critic or would I have to monitor all the other web sites that kind of look like CC: cruisemates, cruiseclues, cruise-links, choosingcruising, cruiseadvice, cruisejunkie, whew I am tired just thinking about you scrolling through all those posts looking for people boasting about their naughty behavior.

Please pay no attention to anyone sharing creative ways to smuggle booze on board the ship. We're only kidding around, heh heh... I mean, putting wine in an empty Listerine bottle, eeek. Why would we want to do that?!?! We love paying all your extra fees. I mean, do you ever have trouble filling the Crown Grill or selling all your cheesy pictures of my wife and I with some fake pirate in Jamaica? Aren't your slot machines always busy and don't you have any trouble selling your Halls and little tubes of chapstick for $5.95 plus tax? Why don't we go buy those at Walmart for $1? Because we love you and don't want you to go broke because we love to cruise and we have money to burn. So why would we hide booze in colostomy bags, in bottles of shampoo or put vodka in Aquafina bottles. Those are all LIES, DARN LIES!!!

Survey results so far: 6 YES (the honest ones) and 9 NO (the bad people who cost Princess some important revenue).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Attention Princess Cruise staffer reading this post:

I know you have thousands and thousands of pages to go through but I am sure you get through them all eventually. What a great job you have, how do I apply for that job if you're hiring? And would I have to monitor only Cruise Critic or would I have to monitor all the other web sites that kind of look like CC: cruisemates, cruiseclues, cruise-links, choosingcruising, cruiseadvice, cruisejunkie, whew I am tired just thinking about you scrolling through all those posts looking for people boasting about their naughty behavior.

Please pay no attention to anyone sharing creative ways to smuggle booze on board the ship. We're only kidding around, heh heh... I mean, putting wine in an empty Listerine bottle, eeek. Why would we want to do that?!?! We love paying all your extra fees. I mean, do you ever have trouble filling the Crown Grill or selling all your cheesy pictures of my wife and I with some fake pirate in Jamaica? Aren't your slot machines always busy and don't you have any trouble selling your Halls and little tubes of chapstick for $5.95 plus tax? Why don't we go buy those at Walmart for $1? Because we love you and don't want you to go broke because we love to cruise and we have money to burn. So why would we hide booze in colostomy bags, in bottles of shampoo or put vodka in Aquafina bottles. Those are all LIES, DARN LIES!!!

Survey results so far: 6 YES (the honest ones) and 9 NO (the bad people who cost Princess some important revenue).

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

We always get Chapstick for free in our cabin!

I would like to see this same question asked except replace the word Booze with wine. It has always been against the rules to bring booze on board, but it is the wine policy that has changed. If no one does this in the next few days, then I will ask about wine only.

For our March 8 cruise there is nothing new added to the boarding pass or luggage tags. I printed them out about two weeks ago. I hope they will wait 75 days from the first notice to enforce. For instance if I didn't read CC, I would go to the pier assuming nothing had changed. I think they'll have to make it widely know well before hand: ie, everyone has it on their boarding passes, before they start enforcing it. It was a LONG time between their announcement of new smoking policy before implementing. Just my opinion. I do agree with previous poster about telling so much, although I've done it myself too... shame on me!:o

I printed out our boarding passes and luggage tags as soon as I could for our cruise later in March - and the new wording wasn't there. When I looked online last night, the new information is now there. Will be interesting to see what happens.

Smoking policy is still not enforced, as I saw people smoking in non-smoking areas in November and could smell it in hallways near cabins. It doesn't bother me - but obviously it isn't being enforced.

Dec. 19 Crown Princess out of Galverston. Last stop at Cozumel, I purchased one liter of gin and one liter of bourbon in port. When I boarded, no one asked for it, so I asked one of the staffers were they going to collect it and he replied, just take it to your cabin.

Or will they know any wine brought to the dining room has already had the corkage fee paid. Since I only drink the wine I bring in the dining room, I see no problem with paying all the corkage fees upfront, if thats what is going to happen.

Or will they know any wine brought to the dining room has already had the corkage fee paid. Since I only drink the wine I bring in the dining room, I see no problem with paying all the corkage fees upfront, if thats what is going to happen.

Princess has opened up a whole new can of worms for itself with this new policy There will be many new inconsistencies. If you look at this realistically, who runs security when you get back on the ship? Some very bored and uninterested Philippinos or Thais (no offense, honest) who look like they're just going through the motions. They've probably been yelled at by half the people who got back on before you and by now they don't care anymore. So in you go with your booze/wine.

I also respectfully disagree with anyone who thinks this policy is acceptable. If you stay at a hotel/resort with a full meal plan, and all you pay for is alcohol, you can still go to the store across the street, buy some booze/wine and drink it in your room. The hotel sells you alcohol in the restaurant and in their bars, but there's no one waiting for you in the lobby waiting to check all your bags and taking away your booze/wine. So what makes the cruise lines think they can take your booze/wine away? The only policy I agree with is the corkage fee in the dining room. If I want to bring some wine on the ship to enjoy in my room, NO WAY should I pay $15 for the "privilege".

I am getting really worked up for a guy who barely drinks, HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THEN

Yup.......:rolleyes:

Bob

2 wines per cabin? My wife packed 2 in her carry on and I didn't know so I packed 2 in mine. End result 4 in the cooler of our stateroom. We did run out before the end of the cruise so at a port we found the local ABC store and picked up 2 more (only because 2 cost only a buck more than 1). I figured if it was held for safe keeping oh well. I let my better half take it aboard as she looks sweet and lovable. It went through the x-ray and all she got was a nod and a smile.

Yes - twice. Dawn Princess roundtrip Sydney 30/11/12. I had a bottle of wine taken for "safekeeping" in Auckland, and again in Wellington NZ. Dawn Princess also had this policy for Australian cruises when we did the same voyage the year before. It's not "new" for us downunder.:mad:

2 Princess cruises and no issues. I can assure you the first time we have an issue will be the last time we cruise with Princess. We are going on a Princess cruise in the near future and our group narrowed the final decision based on cost, MUTS, itinerary and quality of ship but MADE the final decision to sail with Princess based on their more lenient alcohol policy.

We enjoy having a glass of wine or frosty beverage in the cabin and this is huge for us when picking a cruise. We are not big drinkers (which is why we don't choose all inclusives) but when we have a couple primers in the cabin we often purchase additional drinks in the lounges and while sunning on deck so we've always seen it as a win win.

A different cruise line took away a bottle a couple years ago that we were trying to bring onboard and we refused to buy any drinks from them the entire cruise. They lost and their waiters/bartenders unfortunately were also out tip money on that cruise for the alcohol we didn't purchase. I understand limiting it on some Spring Break Carnival cruises because you don't want passengers fighting, falling overboard, etc. but on Princess, Celebrity or HAL you simply attract a different clientele.

I appreciate Princess has turned a blind eye to a couple extra bottles of wine or a bottle of spirits or case of beer and expect this to continue in the future. I do agree that bragging about your conquests with huge amounts of smuggled alcohol is just embarrassing for Princess and forces their hand to enforce policies that are in place. Do the rest of us a favor and display a bit of modesty!

On 32-day Crown TA in Nov/Dec 2012. On two occasions we brought back one bottle of wine. We also carried on 4 six packs of beer (a six-pack each) at two different ports. No one stopped us or questioned us. I should mention that we still had a $3000.00 bar tab (about $100.00 per day). Really Princess? Stop trying to save a penny or you might end up losing a dollar.:rolleyes:

Not that I think the "new" rules are fair, but the OP asked a good question and now Princess is reading how some ships are bending the rules. As a previous poster said - don't brag about it. Maybe, just maybe this will go away.

On our Alaska B2B last June, we purchased ALL our wine in Crooners. Sometimes you just get tired or schleping the stuff around.;)

The only thing I don't like is when we are doing the Venice to FLL 18 day cruise in October, it would be nice to be able to bring one bottle of wine back from the different Ports for people who love their wine. Folks who take a 7 day cruise get one bottle of wine each and the same rule applies to our 18 day voyage. That is my only gripe.

Hmmm, I have an idea, but best to keep it to myself:D:D

This disclaimer has more to do with our litigious, entitled society, than anything being discussed here. Princess is saying they RESERVE the RIGHT too.... I can't count the number of times I have seen people boarding cases of wine, liquor and beer. Princess is not interested in people with a bottle or two, the same as the Border Guards are interested in you bring a bottle or 2 over your limit. By plainly stating this policy anyone who is stopped knows the consequences. their will be no argument. Too man the Gangways and verify each and every bag that comes on board would cost more than Princess would make. Princess is not about to stop anyone bringing Duty Free liquor on board, to take home. If you are caught bringing it on board they will impound it until the night before your disembark, they are not going to charge you anything for that.

3 cruise since Aug no problems.

So for those here who DID have their alcohol "taken for safe keeping", did you willingl admit that you had alcohol when boarding the ship or did they do a bag search and find it?

I'm of the don't ask, don't tell mentality so if they don't come out and ask me, I'm not telling ;)

We've had bottles of liquor taken and stored for us when coming back to the ship from ports. We haven't sailed since last August, so we were allowed to bring on as much wine as we cared to then. We were charged the corkage fee in the dining room for those bottles, so the new policy will not affect us much. I'd rather pay the $15 corkage than to pay for overpriced bottles on the ship.

Last week on the Ruby. No questions and no liquor table at St. Maarten when I had a 6 pack of beer. At St. Thomas the security screener told me to see the person at the table around the corner inside about my bottle of Bourbon but no one was checking to see if you stopped at the table.

I'm not too concerned about these posts. If they really wanted to make a big deal out of this on the ship, they would have.

Never,Ever...and if it ever happens,I will tell the guy to stick it where the sun doesn't shine.:eek:

There's no need to be crude.

It's well known that sunlight will degrade wine... surely Bo meant, "take care of this fine libation in an appropriate cellar environment" ;)

Archived