I pack too much stuff, help!

Kaboochi

I have been cruising for 11 years and have the clothing just right. However, the little extras way overload the suitcase, especially the "what if we need these items" such as : band aids, bacitracin, aloe, lotions, extension and bungie cords. I would love to here from cruisers that bring minimal and still have a great carefree cruise. By the way, I learned to pack all of this extra paraphernalia by reading cc:D

I do 7 nighters with a 21 inch suitcase that I can carry on the plane plus a carry on totebag with my nook, iPod and wallet...

Trial size toiletries and clothing that I can wear more than once... I also take advantage of laundry service halfway through...

I have never needed all the extras I see mentioned here...

I roll some of my clothes and pack others in ziplock bags that I squeeze the air out of to flatten as much as possible...

I pack a first aid kit that has the advil, bandaid, pepcid, imodium, prescriptions, etc. It's just enough for a week for two of us if we have any kind of episode. I don't think you need to bring everything you have in the medicine cabinet.

Then we have a toiletries kit with the toothbrush, toothpaste, razor, deodorant, shampoo, conditioner, etc. The shampoo and conditioner are almost empty - they make a one way trip.

Doesn't take too much room in the suitcase and when you throw away the empties, you have a little extra room for stuff you bought.

On the other hand, I always pack way too many clothes...

Bungee cords? For what? We've never needed an extension cord, except once...when hubby needed to bring a heating pad.....otherwise, we plug and unplug as needed.

The first aid stuff should fit into a small baggie...you don't need tons of anything...just enough to "get by".

Who do you travel with and what do you do?

I packed as you describe on my first cruise but then realized its just me and my BF. We don't do extreme activities. We really do similar things as if we were home, just minus the cat children and are in a better location and are in swimwear. We are on the sun deck a lot and are drinkers, so Advil, aloe, and sunscreen for us. Just think about your average cruise day and give yourself permission to not pack the kitchen sink. If you need something and don't want to pay a lot of $$ then buy in port. :)

I would suggest looking through the extras that normally take and trying to remember when you actually used them. Eliminate those you haven't.

I limit myself to one medium sized cosmetic bag for extra meds for the family.

I do need my post its and highlighters.

I know you said that you have the clothes paired down, but I always suggest to make sure you pair down the shoes to only one pair of dress shoes, one pair of sandals and a pair of good walking shoes. Also try to bring mix and match stuff in coordinating colors. You can create new outfits with less pieces. I black dress with a top over it can look like a skirt, etc.

I will admit - i'm a 'what if' packer but I have got better over time (although usually when I decide I don't need to take something someone puts a new idea in my head... thanks CC!)

I am the one to carry on 1/2 a pharmacy with me but rather than take all the bottles I get one of those 7 day pill cases and put a few of each in each section. Cold & Sinus, Pepto, Immodium, Zantac, Gravol, Benedryl etc and only take a bigger bottle (20 tabs or so) of Advil or Tylenol. I figure if I need more of something than what fits in those compartments it's time to see the doc! I didn't bring the aloe after sun relief one time due to space and then proceeded to get the worst burn of my life in Grand Cayman and had to pay about $20 for a bottle of it. I now travel with it but in a smaller container. I always take bandaids, gauze, antibiotic cream etc but small quantities - again if I need more it's time to see the doc.

I do carry some of the 'stuff' still - water bottle/mug, rain poncho, yard or two of duct tape wrapped around an empty gift card (broken suitcase zipper - came in handy!), 3 plug adapter thingy (need to charge 2 camera batteries, iPad, iPhone simultaneously overnight)

I have eliminated the need for the over the door shoe holder, bungee cords, pop up hamper (kitchen garbage bag works just as well) and other misc things that people suggest. While great ideas in theory when you're flying to port it's just more suitcase space and clutter for the room.

I collect all the samples I get throughout the year and use them to travel with - 2 travel shampoo's and conditioners can get you through 11 days no problem. I started throwing out everything left over at the end of the week (seriously - you're not going to use it at home) but this backfired on my the last cruise. I threw out everything from shampoo, deodorant, toothbrush/paste... my flight was cancelled after waiting @ the airport for 8 hrs to see if they could fix the plane and we had to stay in FLL overnight so I had to run to Walgreens and pick up the basics again :(

Obviously i'm still learning lol

OP here, thank you all, you have given me down-sizing tips. You will laugh at this one, but you may also find it useful: The reason I bring a bungee cord is to attach my umbrella to my balcony chair when the sun is beating on us. That is one item I will always take!w

OP here, thank you all, you have given me down-sizing tips. You will laugh at this one, but you may also find it useful: The reason I bring a bungee cord is to attach my umbrella to my balcony chair when the sun is beating on us. That is one item I will always take!w

Ha! I love it!

I do 7 nighters with a 21 inch suitcase that I can carry on the plane plus a carry on totebag with my nook, iPod and wallet...

Trial size toiletries and clothing that I can wear more than once... I also take advantage of laundry service halfway through...

I have never needed all the extras I see mentioned here...

I roll some of my clothes and pack others in ziplock bags that I squeeze the air out of to flatten as much as possible...

I'm jealous.. I can't figure out how you do this! Toiletries alone I couldn't do with carryon restrictions. :o

My clothes don't take up as much room, but DH's.. ugh.

Once the airlines started to charge for bags I learned how to pack everything I need in a carryon suitcase. One for me, one for my husband.

It's called bundle packing - not rolling. Bundle packing keeps the clothes wrinkle free, for the most part.

We packed for an Alaska trip with winter coats in a carry on. DH also brings a tuxedo in his carry on.

I do bring a travel first aid kit, and travel size toiletries, I tape a strip of duct tape on the inside of my suitcase and use it to hold the button down on the hair dryer.

I don't do laundry mid week and I always have some items that I didn't wear.

Once the airlines started to charge for bags I learned how to pack everything I need in a carryon suitcase. One for me, one for my husband.

It's called bundle packing - not rolling. Bundle packing keeps the clothes wrinkle free, for the most part.

We packed for an Alaska trip with winter coats in a carry on. DH also brings a tuxedo in his carry on.

I do bring a travel first aid kit, and travel size toiletries, I tape a strip of duct tape on the inside of my suitcase and use it to hold the button down on the hair dryer.

I don't do laundry mid week and I always have some items that I didn't wear.

The duct tape to hold down the button on the hair dryer is brilliant! My hand actually aches after drying my hair. So, it really works?

I can pack in a carry-on for a 7 day cruise--did it when we took 7 grandkids and didn't want to pay for 7 checked suitcases--mostly by wearing my athletic shoes and only taking one heel and one sandal.

For most cruises, I take a 26" fully packed--usually weighs around 48 lbs. I use a quart zip-lock bag for first aid stuff; except for bandaids and maybe aspirin, I dont' think I've used any of it. I bring small sizes of anything possible and also throw empties out as I go along.

We do bring a pop-up hamper (lies flat in DH's suitcase) because it is so handy, but not much else of all the things on the packing lists we find here. No over-the door hanger, usually no extension cord, etc. It's very nice to have less junk to pack, unpack, repack, store in the room, etc.

I am also an overpacker. From my Girl Guide days I guess. Cheers, I would really like to see your packing list. My suitcase is usually near the top weight and carry-on is full also. Also carry a BIG purse. Every cruise I swear that I will pack less, but can never get the weight down. Shoes are also my downfall.

The duct tape on the hair dryer is a great idea.

I have learned to pack light over the years. Some vacations, we will travel around Europe on trains, and I have to carry my own bags. I use those skills in packing for cruises, too. One thing I do is make sure my tops and bottoms coordinate. Everything goes with everything else. If it won't go with at least two other things, it doesn't get packed. I take a black skirt and black top (usually that slinky fabric) and two or more chiffon type over blouses (vests, ponchos, scarves) for formal night along with one pair of black dress shoes. For the extras, I figure out how many I will need (six bandaids plus one), etc. and I decant lotion, etc. into those great little GoTubes. I use a travel size deodorant and travel size kleenex and so forth. I can get everything I need into a 22" bag. There are several web sites that deal with the idea of light packing. Lady Light Travel is a good one as is One Bag!

Oh, and I always take my bungee cord!

it is the STUFF that drives me mad no matter how hard I try I end up with more & more each trip

I take gravol, pepto, allergy pills, nose spray, nose strips because DH snores, antibiotic cream etc...

I take the OTC stuff out of the boxes & put in a zip lock bag

I use the ship's soap, shampoo, hairdryer so never pack those

Never needed an extension cord, bungee cord, umbrella

I do take a small flashlight but most of the stuff is some sort of meds

The clothes & shoes I am good with

We usually go for 2+ weeks & take the same amount of clothes for up to a month

I started traveling with a travel vest. It has 7 handy pockets. Eliminates a purse so that allows me 2 full carry ons. But I have to admit that when I travel, I still take too much. Love cruising from my home port.

Renee

I have been cruising for 11 years and have the clothing just right. However, the little extras way overload the suitcase, especially the "what if we need these items" such as : band aids, bacitracin, aloe, lotions, extension and bungie cords. I would love to here from cruisers that bring minimal and still have a great carefree cruise. By the way, I learned to pack all of this extra paraphernalia by reading cc:D

Can't offer any advise I'm afraid as I do the same. I start off being a rational human being then as the suitcases are being zipped & locked this overwhelming compulsion kicks in & those 'just in case items' have to go in:confused::confused: ....we could start a support group if you'd like, Overpackers Anonymous.:D

I leave all the packing arrangements to my other-half so this information is reliable but second-hand:

Checked airline baggage limit for guys is 7kg (15.5 lbs)

Checked airline baggage for ladies is 39kg (86 lbs)

Hope this helps ;)

JB :)

I'm a woman that travels only with a 18" carryon and a small tote bag regardless of the length of the trip.

• Clothing has to do double or triple duty. Every piece of clothing has to be able to worn with 1 or 2 other pieces or it doesn't get packed.
  • No longer bring formal clothing. Rather bring basic black dress slacks and black top that can be accessoried up or down to fit the need.
  • Bring max 3 pair of shoes 2 that are packed and 1 worn .
  • Do not bring purses as see no reason for one as it only becomes a nusance lugging it around the ship . The small tote can double as a purse while in port if needed.
  • Travel size toiletries that can be thrown out at the end and use the hair dryer in the cabin.
  • Most the "might need things" that OP stated don't get pack. It it turns into a must need I'll purchase on board or in port.

Can't offer any advise I'm afraid as I do the same. I start off being a rational human being then as the suitcases are being zipped & locked this overwhelming compulsion kicks in & those 'just in case items' have to go in:confused::confused: ....we could start a support group if you'd like, Overpackers Anonymous.:D

I stopped doing this by packing downstairs, away from the bedroom closet. I figure out what I want to pack the week before, prep and hang it on a rolling rack, with folded items underneath.

The carry on toiletry bags are always packed, I have doubles of everything we use packed all the time...we could be completely ready to go in an hour. My first aid kit is about 4 X 6 X 2 and contains just a sampling of typical OTC meds...I've learned the hard way to always have a bit along after spending afternoons in port looking for cough medicine or bandaids on a holiday.

I agree with the above poster to pare down on shoes and clothing. I plan from the shoes up, which eliminates clothing that just doesn't "go" with the shoes. I don't buy "cruise clothes", I pack from what I have, a lot of my clothing purchases I make with ease of travel considered, but it's never stuff I would not wear at home.

I still can't pack in just a carry on. I check a 24"bag, carry on a small roller (smaller than a standard roll aboard and a tote bag. The baggage fee is just considered a part of travel expense for us, we refuse to be pack mules boarding and disembarking a plane.

I'm still stuck on DH's clothes. He's a big guy, XL or XXL Tshirts. He needs at least 2 shirts a day, sometimes 3 if he goes to the gym. One tshirt for day, one Tommy bahama type for dinner. Add in a few extra Ts for gym time and I'm up to a huge amount of clothes for just him. His shoes are size 12, so even just one pair of loafers for night takes up a lot of room. Add in snorkels, masks. I can barely do a 7 day cruise with one rolling duffel and a large suitcase and one rolling carry on between the two of us. UGH. I don't even pack things like bungees, extensions, first aid stuff. Although I do like my toiletries, but they don't take up lots of space.

I think I will use the ship laundry bag next cruise for his tshirts. Maybe I can pack half of them. Dreading packing for Alaska, long sleeve and jeans!

I'm still stuck on DH's clothes. He's a big guy, XL or XXL Tshirts. He needs at least 2 shirts a day, sometimes 3 if he goes to the gym. One tshirt for day, one Tommy bahama type for dinner. Add in a few extra Ts for gym time and I'm up to a huge amount of clothes for just him. His shoes are size 12, so even just one pair of loafers for night takes up a lot of room.

This is so true - if I was a size 2 and wore string bikini's I could probably pack in a carry on as well but alas I am not and one tankini top probably takes up the same room as 5 or 6 string bikini's... :rolleyes:

I don't do ships laundry though - they charge $25 for essentially a grocery store sized bag of laundry and I can pack a whole 50 lb suitcase and take with for the same amount of $$ and save the stress of packing lighter.

This is so true - if I was a size 2 and wore string bikini's I could probably pack in a carry on as well but alas I am not and one tankini top probably takes up the same room as 5 or 6 string bikini's... :rolleyes:

I don't do ships laundry though - they charge $25 for essentially a grocery store sized bag of laundry and I can pack a whole 50 lb suitcase and take with for the same amount of $$ and save the stress of packing lighter.

Sometimes if I am on a longer cruise I do the laundry special. The bags look small, but boy, I can stuff a lot in there! I like ships that have self-serve laundries, but we don't always sail the same line.

Duct tape a must, and I have needed it when the airline broke one side of a handle off a suitcase.

If there are two in the cabin and sometimes even when I'm solo cruising I do take an extension cord to plug in various electronics to charge them.

Samples, samples, samples. There's a website called getitfree.com, and in the past month I have gotten enough samples of moisturizer to last my entire upcoming Norway Coastal Voyage.

There is also a website called minimus (hope it's okay to name it) that sells small sizes of everything from deoderant sheets (like handiwipes) to antibiotic ointment to all kinds of first aid items to individual packs of toothpaste. I think the price is pretty good.

No over the door holder for me or a lot of the things others seem to need.

You can even buy disposable undies for men and women - thin cotton and not flattering, but you can toss them. Environmental issue though.

Or, a lot of people wear old undies and toss them after wearing.

Mainly, though, samples and travel sizes and the little packages bought from the company that specializes in such things.

Archived