Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

28 pages and we're still not even finished the ship tour... I really think that you and Gambee should go on a cruise in say.... November/December this year and between the 2 of you the rest of CC could have our whole winter's entertainment with:

"Gambee and Middle Aged Drama Queen's most EPIC Review and Complete Pictorial Guide of ______________________":D

WOULDN'T THAT BE SO MUCH FUN??!! Between his photography skills...and my snark...that would truly be EPIC! (And I'd love to hang out with his Mom and his BF...even if his Mom DID drink all my drinks and eat my food...although I'd arm wrestle her if she touched my cupcakes. Hee hee!)

Quick question: can you post a link to your Schedule? I need to do one for our cruise and not so great at formatting! Thank you~

Okay...let's see if this works...

RevisedAllureSchedule.xls

Edited by KansCocoa

Oopsie…I forgot a few places that should be mentioned before we talk about shopping…I’m going to blame it on low blood sugar, since it was right before dinner tonight and I was STARVING and I had been posting that drool-inducing photo of the cupcake, which got me even more flustered, along with the White Chocolate Donuts...so...anyway...

Starbucks

1Starbucks1_zps8eddcd4c.jpg

Do I really need to explain what a Starbucks is???

I don't think so.

This was a popular place – and the line would only get longer as the morning grew older. Rumor has it that RCI serves bilge-water tasting coffee for free, so they almost force you to the specialty coffees that cost...but you didn't hear that from me. I don’t really have much information on it, as I am not a coffee drinker – but the tables around it were great to sit and people watch!

2Starbucks_zpsb7289889.jpg

Rising Tide Bar

I know I covered it already when I talked about Deck 8 Central Park…but I wanted to mention that you can “board” the bar here on Deck 5, as well….

Also, there would be daily Solo & Single Traveler Get-Togethers here at the bar…one at 5:30 pm (or so) and another at 10:30 pm (or so). I had good intentions to go to one (or more) of these, but I never made it – so I can’t speak on how attended they were….

1RisingTide_zps34f602cf.jpg

I could drive that…

Thanks to Steve, that's a cool shot of not only the Rising Tide Bar (see it going up? In the top of the photo?), but the classic car that’s parked along the Royal Promenade…it’s a 1936 Mercedes Benz 540K, and along with the funky chairs at the Champagne Bar, it’s just one more thing I’d have liked to sneak off the ship as a souvenir.

Okay…now on to shopping…all you non-shoppers can just ignore this review for awhile and rejoin us later...hee hee.

Solera

1solera_zps546f4ab7.jpg

This is the place to go if you want to look beautiful…or smell beautiful. For cosmetics, fragrances, and skin care – it was all found here...for a price, of course.

2solera_zps3459d98f.jpg

3solera_zps1e287a64.jpg

4solera_zps91878842.jpg

The store smelled SOOOOO good...go figure.

Regalia

1regalia_zps63ff2adc.jpg

Looking for some bling??? Or a designer watch? At Regalia, you’ll find exquisite jewelry for sale by designers such as Roberto Coin and Yvel.

There are diamonds and sapphires and rubies and emeralds…as well as some beautiful Tanzanite. Look for the sales events in the Cruise Compass; there was a sale on Day 2 @ 4:30 pm for both jewelry and watches, and there was also a Vtag Heuer watch sale on Day 3 @ 2:00 pm.

2regalia_zps6a053a2a.jpg

It's just PURE coincidence that this saleslady at Regalia is standing by the Tanzanite...which just so happens to be my favorite gemstone...and is smiling at me like the cat who just swallowed the canary....

Here's my tip: STAY FAR, FAR AWAY FROM THIS STORE!!! But if you DO get sucked in - because this store seems to have magical powers that can do just THAT - pull you in against your will while you're kicking and screaming - negotiate for a good price and use your discount coupon in your C&A Loyalty Book. I might be speaking from personal experience here...but I'm pleading the Fifth.

Hi! Enjoying your review so much. It brings back memories of my trip last May with my three Klingons. I would so love to try solo cruising, but I also am dying to try to get my parents on Allure before I get to go anywhere by myself. Looking forward to reading the rest of your review. I'm posting from Tapatalk for the first time so I don't know if it shows signatures, but if it does, my trip report link is there if the cruising adventures of a single mom of three interest you. Also, now that I'm caught up on your review, (just found it today and have read the whole thing!) I'm off to check out your blog too.

Keep it coming! :)

Hi! Enjoying your review so much. It brings back memories of my trip last May with my three Klingons. I would so love to try solo cruising, but I also am dying to try to get my parents on Allure before I get to go anywhere by myself. Looking forward to reading the rest of your review. I'm posting from Tapatalk for the first time so I don't know if it shows signatures, but if it does, my trip report link is there if the cruising adventures of a single mom of three interest you. Also, now that I'm caught up on your review, (just found it today and have read the whole thing!) I'm off to check out your blog too.

Keep it coming! :)

OMG, I remember your review - it was EPIC! I laughed so hard, and enjoyed your review - the stories of your own Klingons had me in tears! I remember - I think - when you lost your son - and you passed each other on the elevators or something...???? In fact, I went back to check - I commented on your review - see Post #49. Your style of writing had me cracking up!

I'm glad you found this review...us moms of Klingons have to stick together! I remember reading your review and thinking you'd be great fun to travel with; you always had a great attitude, and your kids were awesome!

Edited by KansCocoa

Thank you so much!! I loved writing that review. I can't wait to someday cruise again so I can do another one. The kids are planning that our next big family vacation will be back to Disney in 2016 when the Avatar-themed section of Disney World opens, even though the girls will be 23!!!

I hope to make it to Alaska before that, though, and I'm definitely going to The Blathering in Charleston in October this year, all by myself. Looking forward to that adventure too!

Thanks again for this wonderful review.

Happy cruising!

That's it! I am going on the Allure for my 50th birthday in September!

LOVE IT!!!!

Happy early birthday to you!

Be sure to take notes during this review - write down all of the secrets and tips - and you'll have an AMAZING TIME!!!!

Sherri - how were the prices in all the stores would you say (or did you even notice?) About the same as land? Just trying to figure out if I'll need an extra bag for purchases. :D

I didn't shop for much...except, I did buy a tanzanite pendant in the jewelry store, and used my 20% off coupon! :) I just wore it off the ship. ;)

The liquor store has some amazing prices, if you can get it home in your packed luggage, since you can't carry it onboard the plane anymore. I didn't buy any because I didn't have any extra arms/hands to carry it!

I also bought some other jewelry - that I'll be posting about next - because I hadn't ever seen it before...altho I found out later there's a website for it.

The only other thing I bought onboard was some yoga pants, because I "thought" I had forgotten to pack mine, and needed them for stretch/exercise class. I found my original pair, later, trapped between some clothes - that in my haste to unpack - I hadn't seen. So, I now own another pair of yoga pants - but hey, can you ever really have enough pairs of yoga pants??!!

Don't answer that. :rolleyes:

So...the prices? Again...do your homework, as far as makeup and fragrance, if you think you might buy some. Or hop on the internet onboard the ship and compare the prices before you buy.

Edited by KansCocoa

Here's my tip for you: don't wait until four days before cruising to book your cabin, as there's practically no way you'll get a balcony! :rolleyes:

we're not planning on waiting until four days before - just until after final payment, when, in theory, prices should drop....

if we lose out on a balcony because of that, we'll have to live with it...

it's not the best time of the year to gamble, as it's still summer..

but it's after many klingons are already back in school, or about to go back to school and i've found that parents are much less likely to skip school at the beginning of a school year..

so i'm keeping my fingers crossed..

this is a gamble, and as with all gambles, we might lose....or we might win...or we might break even..

this is the first time i'm trying this, but i was so ticked off on my last cruise, that i just can't bring myself to pay full price for a cruise ever again...

i had a one bedroom suite on the dream, for which i paid a king's ransom....disney then dropped the price for the top non-concierge balcony rooms to practically free - for florida residents....and then because there was so much concierge available at the port, those people - who paid only $300/person to get the top balcony room, only had to add a few hundred more to be in the suite that i paid thousands upon thousands for,....so they were in the suite for about $1500 total (not per person), while i'd paid a whole whole whole whole lot more for it.....(as in 5 times more)

that was it for me.....fooled once, shame on you, fooled twice....etc etc...

never ever again....

and so, i've taken up gambling....even if i end up in a room tomb, i'll be happy with it.....i'll never get over the feeling of being stupid...

and the chances of me ever getting on another disney cruise aren't that great either.... :eek:

Edited by alaska_planner

we're not planning on waiting until four days before - just until after final payment, when, in theory, prices should drop....

if we lose out on a balcony because of that, we'll have to live with it...

it's not the best time of the year to gamble, as it's still summer..

but it's after many klingons are already back in school, or about to go back to school and i've found that parents are much less likely to skip school at the beginning of a school year..

so i'm keeping my fingers crossed..

this is a gamble, and as with all gambles, we might lose....or we might win...or we might break even..

this is the first time i'm trying this, but i was so ticked off on my last cruise, that i just can't bring myself to pay full price for a cruise ever again...

i had a one bedroom suite on the dream, for which i paid a king's ransom....disney then dropped the price for the top non-concierge balcony rooms to practically free - for florida residents....and then because there was so much concierge available at the port, those people - who paid only $300/person to get the top balcony room, only had to add a few hundred more to be in the suite that i paid thousands upon thousands for,....so they were in the suite for about $1500 total (not per person), while i'd paid a whole whole whole whole lot more for it.....(as in 5 times more)

that was it for me.....fooled once, shame on you, fooled twice....etc etc...

never ever again....

and so, i've taken up gambling....even if i end up in a room tomb, i'll be happy with it.....i'll never get over the feeling of being stupid...

and the chances of me ever getting on another disney cruise aren't that great either.... :eek:

That sucks for you. I would be up happy too. From what I have researched online Disney charges way to much, but they can they are the Mouse after all.

I have discovered through all my RCI cruises and almost all of them in suites is their price doesn't fluctuate very much, and any rooms not sold get upgraded to those already sailing, not sold at the pier.

Try your suggestion, as it might work. At least if you have saved money you might feel better. The only thing I might suggest is to pick a room in a lower category and stick with it. At least you know what you are getting.

The only other thing I bought onboard was some yoga pants, because I "thought" I had forgotten to pack mine, and needed them for stretch/exercise class. I found my original pair, later, trapped between some clothes - that in my haste to unpack - I hadn't seen. So, I now own another pair of yoga pants - but hey, can you ever really have enough pairs of yoga pants??!!

Don't answer that. :rolleyes:

So...the prices? Again...do your homework, as far as makeup and fragrance, if you think you might buy some. Or hop on the internet onboard the ship and compare the prices before you buy.

I have to answer...NO! Based on my daily wardrobe:p:D

Also for any readers who are planning to shop the watch "sale" ...I have to call BS on it! We got a price for a watch we had priced at home...it was far cheaper on board (they do get a nice volume discount from luxury watchmakers) We decided to wait for the "sale", so they covered the watches for like 12 hours (ohh, build demand..."you can't see our watches till the big "sale")...then they tore off the covers and ta da...EXACT SAME PRICES! Bought anyway since it was far cheaper plus no sales tax, but you don't need to get suckered into their drama pretend "sales". Go early while stock is good and negotiate your best price compare in port (be aware they will not take your say so on price, they must have it written and they know that the island stores are not allowed to discount luxury watches (per manufacturer) so while the island shop might sell you one for cheaper with no paper trail; they won't quote it and have the Royal jewelers drop a dime to the manufacturer.) Bottom line- you can do well on watches, but know your prices and don't get sucked into their phony baloney sale...apologies to the sales lady who certainly looks lovely!

Also, loads of folks will agrue that you can buy "online" for cheaper...good luck with that...if it's not a knock off, there is a good chance it's not covered by a warranty, unlike the ships and the islands. We've had no problems servicing watches back home that we bought on the islands.

Edited by Familygoboston

Hey, guess what, folks??

The nature of my "job" (although I am really just a volunteer) with the American Red Cross is that I never know when the phone's going to ring - and I have to grab my bags and go.

The call came this morning - and wasn't I surprised, though, when I found out I'm NOT going to Hattiesburg, MS - as I thought - but I'm heading up to Manhattan, NY - because Hurricane Sandy is still an issue - and they still need volunteers to relieve volunteers who are finishing up their own deployments.

So...I'll be flying today or tomorrow...I HOPE to be able to work on this review in the evenings, but I can't guarantee anything...I'm in for a 14-day deployment, so I'll be home...eventually.

I'll be back...I promise! In the meantime, anyone in NYC that wants to get together sometime, let me know - I'll be there!

Hey, guess what, folks??

The nature of my "job" (although I am really just a volunteer) with the American Red Cross is that I never know when the phone's going to ring - and I have to grab my bags and go.

The call came this morning - and wasn't I surprised, though, when I found out I'm NOT going to Hattiesburg, MS - as I thought - but I'm heading up to Manhattan, NY - because Hurricane Sandy is still an issue - and they still need volunteers to relieve volunteers who are finishing up their own deployments.

So...I'll be flying today or tomorrow...I HOPE to be able to work on this review in the evenings, but I can't guarantee anything...I'm in for a 14-day deployment, so I'll be home...eventually.

I'll be back...I promise! In the meantime, anyone in NYC that wants to get together sometime, let me know - I'll be there!

good luck with your deployment!!

Hi just thought I'd pop back to say still enjoying your review and getting even more excited for our first ever cruise on the allure in may!! I've just spent literally the last 2 days reading your med cruise review couldn't stop - pleased to be at the end today really need to do some housework my family lucky they got fed!! Really enjoyed it even though I'm not going there it could be my second cruise!!

Just a quick question are the beatlemaniacs always on the allure do you know? we big Beatles fans and would like to see them!! We going to see a Beatles tribute on wed at our local theatre!!

Thanks

Julie

Hey, guess what, folks??

We will miss you and your review for sure. However you are doing important work. Thank you for what you do. We will wait patiently until you can post again.

Is it just me or do those ice cream scoops look a bit odd... Sorry, but they have a "female" look about them!:p It just struck me funny.

Sometimes I feel like I’m talking to myself…when no one comments…but that’s okay, because I kinda’ do that sometimes, anyway – talk to myself – so this feels just like normal. Although it’s a bit crazy. Crazy normal? But anyway….moving on….!

Next to Rita’s Cantina is “Smile” – which is a photography studio where you can dress up in weird costumes and get your picture taken…for a fee, of course.

Smile_zpse4b3d74d.jpg

I liked the giant camera storefront...that was pretty cool....

There was a prominent sign out front that requested “No Photos Inside” – which is something the people over at Britto Gallery could take lessons from (I’m just sayin’…..).

Then, we have Pets At Sea…which gives all you parents the wonderful (and costly) opportunity to let your Klingon design a stuffed animal…dress it (for more money)…and name it (which I believe is free – you get adoption papers).

petsatsea_zps65b818bf.jpg

I don’t know what the costs are exactly, but a basic animal is at least $20…and by the time you add a cute outfit, you’re probably not walking out of there for less than $30. Two outfits will set you back a little more than $45.

I will have to say that they ARE awfully-darned cute:

PetsAtSeaWindow_zpse9767cb6.jpg

I like the alligator....

After you’ve indulged in some crazy and wacky photos, and then created your new pet, you’ll have worked up an appetite…so the Ice Cream Parlor will be your next stop, naturally!

BoardwalkIceCream_zps7cb619dc.jpg

There are lots of flavors to choose from, and combined with lots of toppings, it’s pretty delicious! However – this is NOT free – so take note. If you’re looking for FREE ice cream, head up to the pool for some soft-serve.

Inside_zps2a84f7d7.jpg

This place also serves crepes, frozen yogurt, and sorbet…there are some tables to sit at outside to people-watch. It would usually open up around 11:00 am each day.

Hey, guess what, folks??

Best of luck in your deployment and keep safe. Can't wait for your next instalement.

Good luck in New York......It is great that you are doing this. It takes a special person to volunteer and I know it isn't an easy task, but I am sure it is greatly appreciated by those that you serve.

We will be patiently waiting back here on CC for your return. Take care and I hope all works out for the better for everyone concerned.

I so enjoy your blog too. You sure are a busy person. Keeps a person young.;)

Gwen :)