Fellow cruisers: do/do not courtesies to your shipmates

MermaidWatcher

That would have been fixed easily if one person of the 10 stayed at the table and when the others came back-then go get their food-that is what my husband and I do. I agree with you the party of 10 were the rude ones. That is the proper way in my mind-one stay with the table, and when the others return, then get your food.

Yep. 4 or 5 should have sat there and waited for the others to return with their food. Then they could go and get theirs.

Yep. 4 or 5 should have sat there and waited for the others to return with their food. Then they could go and get theirs.

Not on a cruise but certainly in other places when we're out with a large group that's what we'll do as well. In this case with the rude couple, I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference though. :(

Not on a cruise but certainly in other places when we're out with a large group that's what we'll do as well. In this case with the rude couple, I'm not sure it would have made much of a difference though. :(

It would have stopped me. I am guessing they assumed people left their junk in the seats and then left the buffet for other areas of the ship-as people do with lounge chairs around the pool. That is what I would have thought. However, I would have had one of the crew remove everything from the tables. Since saving seats is not allowed that would not be rude and yes the crew would have removed the stuff, as that is agianst the rules.

Why would anyone think that is okay? Would you do that in MacDonalds? I wouldn't as I know my stuff could be stolen. Do people think everyone on a cruiseship is honest? At least the couple was honest-they did not take off with their stuff. They just ook 2 seats.

If you think you are richer than most, please keep it to yourself if you are sharing a dinner table. I am quite fed up with braggarts who at every meal feel they need to one-up everyone, and constantly make comments about their gated community, enormous house, jeweller, sports cars, luxury cars, designer items, ad nauseum.

.... and then try to pry to see what socio-economic group the rest of the table belongs to. I'm not on vacation to impress anyone, but it does get difficult keeping my mouth shut ;)

Won't comment on the cigar because that's obviously horrendous, but after the first night on early or late dining, you don't need to stand in line since you can go right to your table and seat yourself. Now if it were the first night, that would be a problem although you do know your table number and could walk around and find it.

If you think you are richer than most, please keep it to yourself if you are sharing a dinner table. I am quite fed up with braggarts who at every meal feel they need to one-up everyone, and constantly make comments about their gated community, enormous house, jeweller, sports cars, luxury cars, designer items, ad nauseum.

.... and then try to pry to see what socio-economic group the rest of the table belongs to. I'm not on vacation to impress anyone, but it does get difficult keeping my mouth shut ;)

That sounds like our tablemates at lunch on our last cruise. They wanted to brag that they had been all over Europe on cruises, and took this superior air with our other tablemates because it was their first cruise. This other couple (first time cruisers) we had eaten breakfast with the day before so I already knew they had been all over Europe. Yes, they had told us but it was in a matter of fact way-not being braggarts-this other couple thought they were something else because they had taken all of these European cruises. I guess they did not realize many prefer to see more of Europe by land, than by ports near the ocean. (Lets face it-Europe is so expensive-cruising is the cheaper way, but you see much more on a land tour)The only reason they did not target us was because we had told them that we had recently taken a Med cruise-although the shorter less expensive cruises were more are our "norm." (this cruise was a 4 day on the Connie) When they kept on and on at this couple who were on their first cruise, I just smiled and rolled my eyes at the wife-and she dimpled-she knew what I was getting at, but was too well bred to put down the braggart couple. Although her husband finally told them they had spent 6 weeks in Italy a couple of years back and had rented an apartment in Paris for a month back in September.

Let's see:

1) If you see people saving a whole row of seats at a show and you're having trouble finding seats, and you have nerve, just plop down in enough chairs for your group (hopefully it's your whole group and you're not planning to save seats). If they say, "those seats are saved," pleasantly replied, "Well, you're so sweet to keep these seats for us." If they act like jerks, tell them to get a crew member to come over so they can get an explanation of the "no saving seats" rule.

2) For a big group getting food in the buffet, with kids and elderly folk (else don't do this -- wait til everyone gets their food), have half the group get their food and the other half sit at the table. Then if some other people ask if they can sit there, point out that the seats are taken, and the only reason you're doing this in shifts is that you have little ones or others who need help with the plates and you can't have them carrying the food all over the place (that's the point that makes this different from #1).

Of course, if you won't be taking up the whole table, it's only fair to let others sit down as this is cruising tradition. You can let them know there are little kids, so they can decide if this is a deal breaker.

On my last cruise, I was sitting at a table at lunch way in the back. Some women came over and one asked if they can sit at the table, and I said sure. They ignored me from there on, talking in Russian or a similar language, but as I had my puzzle magazine, that was okay.

3) about the tongs, if you have a concern, carry a little bottle of hand sanitizer with you (I do) and rub on your hands after you take your seat and before you eat (or swing by that sanitizer machine after you get your food).

4) about the cigar smoker, here's where carrying a digital camera on the ship would come in handy (I keep it in my purse along with the hand sanitizer and the ship's newsletter, not kidding). Take a photo of this guy and then say, "Guess where I'm going...to the passenger services desk to show them who's breaking one of the rules (and yes, smoking in the elevator on any ship is undoubtedly against the rules, I would have to hope).

I'm not concerned about the man going into the dining room. If it's assigned seating, he'll have to be at his assigned table. If it's not assigned seating, the head waiter would be the one to do anything about him. (if you see him doing this time after time, you can always say something to the head waiter if you want...maybe this guy is a big mucky muck).

Usually if someone starts talking like that, my automatic assumption is that they're engaged in a creative fantasy for their life on the cruise ship since they wouldn't expect anyone to know if it's true or not. Rather harmless but pathetic.

It's been my experience that those with money don't talk about it or what it buys them. Of course, nowadays there seem to be a lot of jerks with money.........the funds just didn't buy them any class.

Usually if someone starts talking like that, my automatic assumption is that they're engaged in a creative fantasy for their life on the cruise ship since they wouldn't expect anyone to know if it's true or not. Rather harmless but pathetic.

It's been my experience that those with money don't talk about it or what it buys them. Of course, nowadays there seem to be a lot of jerks with money.........the funds just didn't buy them any class.

That was my thought. It was the first time crusiers that actually had money, my feeling the the braggart couple either had fanasties or high credit card debit-LOL!

Of course I am basing that on the conversation we had with the first time cruisers the day before. Since we had recently done a Med cruise we were bubbling over about it and how it had been one of our "bucket list" vacations-so they had told us their traveling experiences. They wanted to try out a 4 day to see if they could enjoy cruising be they were considering a baltic, as it would be less vistas? (or something like that) but wanted to see if they would like the experience.

... I agree with you the party of 10 were the rude ones. That is the proper way in my mind-one stay with the table, and when the others return, then get your food.

No you don't, agree with me that is. I was making a humorous comment. I was not seriously saying the family of 10 was rude in this case. I think your suggestion to have someone stay at the table is best. Maybe not "proper" but certainly most effective in staking a claim so everyone can sit together.

Let's see:

2) For a big group getting food in the buffet' date=' with kids and elderly folk (else don't do this -- wait til everyone gets their food), have half the group get their food and the other half sit at the table. Then if some other people ask if they can sit there, point out that the seats are taken, and the only reason you're doing this in shifts is that you have little ones or others who need help with the plates and you can't have them carrying the food all over the place (that's the point that makes this different from #1).

Of course, if you won't be taking up the whole table, it's only fair to let others sit down as this is cruising tradition. You can let them know there are little kids, so they can decide if this is a deal breaker.

[/quote']

I don't see a problem with a few people saving a table for a big group regardless of age. Also don't think it necessary to "warn" anyone that kids are in your group. If someone is kind enough to allow me to join their table, I'm certainly not going to question the composition of their group. Just my opinion.

Here is my list.

1. Always introduce yourself to your fellow cruisers at the table. If you are asked to join a table be gracious and join in the conversation. If a fellow cruiser asks to sit with you be gracious and welcome them. Even if your at a table for 2 introduce yourself to the tables around you.

2. If a fellow cruiser is reading don't bother them they need their alone time too.

3. When part of a team be gracious even if you lose if you win shake the hands of the other teams. Don't go ballistic if you lost in the contest.

4. If you see a fellow cruiser having trouble see if they need help holding a door open or carrying a tray to the table.

5. Always talk in a low manner as you never know if your fellow cruisers are awake.

6. Do not hog chairs if you know your second person is not coming offer the chair next you to a cruiser in need.

7. When dining don't expect your fellow cruisers to speak your language. If there is a language barrier smile and listen . You can use hand signals to try and communicate.

8.If your table is getting into a heated discussion remember you don't have to enter in just be gracious and listen and that at an appropriate moment thank everyone and excuse yourself and wish them a pleasant evening. Then if you want to see if you can change tables you can graciously talk with the Maitre D.

9. Have good table manners just because your on vacation does not mean your table manners take a vacation too.

10. Be aware of your children and keep an eye on them don't let them run around and ruin other people's vacation if they are trying to read. Be mindful of the rules of the Solairum, age limits for adult activities and curfew.

11. Please go with your children to the buffet and serve them so they don't put their hands into the food.

12. Make sure that you wash your hands before and after every meal, restroom visit and please use the hand sanitizer.

13. If you are invited to attend a Meet and Mingle event please know you are not obliged to go just be nice and thank them for the invitation and say that you had something else planned. They will understand.

14. If you can;t make it for your dining reservation due to a reservation in a speciality restaurant or if you want to eat in the Windjammer please let the Maitre D know or call down to the dining room so they won't be waiting for you. If you know your going to a specialty restaurant please let your head waiter know the night before. Even if they have the manifest its still polite to let them know.

15. Please don't talk about personal finances, boast about your Crown and Anchor Status or stateroom with fellow cruisers. Were all on this boat together and we all come from various socioeconomic backgrounds. This may be the only vacation your fellow cruisers take every year or it may have been years since their last vacation. Please don't act like a snob. Just be friendly.

I can agree with most of these, but not number #1.

I wouldn't care to join anyone at their table (I'm assuming you're talking about either "anytime" dining or whatever the cruise line calls it, or at the buffet) and I don't care to have anyone ask to join our table either. And if we've chosen a table for 2 I wouldn't even think about introducing myself to other tables around us, and I wouldn't care to have others nearby try to strike up a conversation either. I fully understand some people just love to talk to strangers about anything and everything, but some of us don't care to. And I feel people should respect that choice.

...those passengers who overfill their plate(s) at the buffet. No need to do that...you can go back for seconds. Worse, these same passengers leave a ton of food on their plate. :confused:

Or tons of food they ordered from room service then put the tray out in the hall with all that food.

But isn't the majority of people using the tongs the bigger problem? My work requires me to deal with odds. If a cookie is touched twice because it will eventually be taken for consumption and the tongs are touch 200 times because they are permanent to the food station, which has the greater odds of being touched by infected hands?

The safest way to distribute food is for a person wearing gloves to distribute each passenger their selection. But sadly in a time when cruise lines are making cuts, we are left to playing the odds.

Burt

Cut your (and everyone else's) odds to nearly zero. Use a napkin when handling the tongs and then toss the napkin. Voila!

(When I worked as a Convention Services Manager for a hotel, we would encourage this behavior for any groups that voiced cleanliness concerns).

Why were you looking into someone's balcony?

I have seen things without intending to-I would be just minding my own business looking at the ocean when whoops-OMG-an I turn away to the other direction. Anyone who thinks balconies are private are wrong. However I do think most know this-they just want attention for the shock value,or else they plain do not care.

Then you must have been standing right next to the divider to see someone sunbathing. Yes, you can see the area at the height of the railing, but you can't see down into a balcony unless you're by the divider. I know you can see reflections sometimes in the glass. Best not to look into ours because we will be there sans clothing at times, and we don't care.

Then you must have been standing right next to the divider to see someone sunbathing. Yes, you can see the area at the height of the railing, but you can't see down into a balcony unless you're by the divider. I know you can see reflections sometimes in the glass. Best not to look into ours because we will be there sans clothing at times, and we don't care.

No, it was below me, not my next door neighbor. On the back of Celebrity's "S" class ships the balconies slant. And it was not a woman sunbathing- that would not bother me since I have the same equipment-nothing to shock me there. I also would not care nor would I stare-I do have good breeding. I certainly would not inform my hubby so he would come look.I will not say what I saw-it was much worse than that-nothing I would think most people would want to see.

Now I had a neigbor once that looked around the divider at ME (woman about 40) which I did not like until I found out she was mentally challenged after seeing her with her mother in the hallway. She appeared "normal" until you spoke to her.

Actually on our last cruise we could see the neighbours' reflection in the glass balcony panel. Sitting in chairs, looking out to sea, we got a reflection of THEIR balcony on numerous occasions. We certainly were not "peeping".

No, it was below me, not my next door neighbor. On the back of Celebrity's "S" class ships the balconies slant. And it was not a woman sunbathing- that would not bother me since I have the same equipment-nothing to shock me there. I also would not care nor would I stare-I do have good breeding. I certainly would not inform my hubby so he would come look.I will not say what I saw-it was much worse than that-nothing I would think most people would want to see.

Now I had a neigbor once that looked around the divider at ME (woman about 40) which I did not like until I found out she was mentally challenged after seeing her with her mother in the hallway. She appeared "normal" until you spoke to her.

Okay, that makes sense on the aft balconies. We stay back on ours so no one can see from above. At least I do. :D

I can agree with most of these, but not number #1.

I wouldn't care to join anyone at their table (I'm assuming you're talking about either "anytime" dining or whatever the cruise line calls it, or at the buffet) and I don't care to have anyone ask to join our table either. And if we've chosen a table for 2 I wouldn't even think about introducing myself to other tables around us, and I wouldn't care to have others nearby try to strike up a conversation either. I fully understand some people just love to talk to strangers about anything and everything, but some of us don't care to. And I feel people should respect that choice.

So if you end up taking a table that sits more than two (say that's all that's available) and other passengers want to sit with you, you're not going to let them...or do you simply wait until there's just a table for two, even if that's for a while?

If you & your significant other decide to make whoopy on your balcony please keep the noise down. That should be a private moment not to be shared with the rest of the passengers enjoying a quiet night stargazing on their balconies.

Archived