Fellow cruisers: do/do not courtesies to your shipmates

MermaidWatcher

I'm sure most do not realize that some of these acts are really discourteous; so how about some friendly suggestions to help them?

I'll start with one of mine; balcony lights:mad::mad: . Please, please do not turn your balcony light on the entire night. My wife and I just endured an entire cruise where the people on both sides of us put their lights on for the entire night every single night. Were they afraid of pirates or giant squid coming over the 7th deck railing? Unless we drew our drapes, it was like trying to sleep in the middle of the day; and never mind the beautiful full moon, and perfectly clear sky full of stars that were ruined.

I'm sure most do not realize that some of these acts are really discourteous; so how about some friendly suggestions to help them?

I'll start with one of mine; balcony lights. Please, please do not turn your balcony light on the entire night. My wife and I just endured an entire cruise where the people on both sides of us put their lights on for the entire night every single night. Were they afraid of pirates or giant squid coming over the 7th deck railing? Unless we drew our drapes, it was like trying to sleep in the middle of the day; and never mind the beautiful full moon, and perfectly clear sky full of stars that were ruined.

Honnestly the light on ours didnt even give off much light at all i didnt even know it was there til half way threw out cruise or I would have left mine on so the pirates of the carribeans would find us and freak out my dw lol

if it bothered you that bad you should have at least talked to your cabin mates we are not all mind readers :)

99% of the time if you ask someone in a polite manner they will be nice and help you out, I am guessing they didnt even know it was on

Which ship? The metal partitions between the balconies on the ships I know are enough to keep out the lights from the neighbours.

We usually draw the drapes anyway. To keep the morning sun out, never mind waking up next to the 7th deck of another cruise ship and feeling like people are staring in your windows!

Some people will reach right in front of your face at the buffet, and I often think they don't even realize they're being rude. It's not like you have to go way back to the beginning of the serving line, if you just want something from one spot. Just don't squeeze right in front of someone else. Stand behind them and wait for the person to finish and move on. :cool:

Honnestly the light on ours didnt even give off much light at all i didnt even know it was there til half way threw out cruise or I would have left mine on so the pirates of the carribeans would find us and freak out my dw lol

if it bothered you that bad you should have at least talked to your cabin mates we are not all mind readers :)

Not saying I expect everyone should be mind readers or that some things we do for legitimate reasons (myself included) may not be everyone else's feelings; just would like to maybe alert some to think a little more courteously, instead of constantly being in a completely self centered world.

99% of the time if you ask someone in a polite manner they will be nice and help you out, I am guessing they didnt even know it was on

They were turning them on at differing times each night, and they did not stay on during the day, so it is pretty hard to not know you have turned the light on.

Which ship? The metal partitions between the balconies on the ships I know are enough to keep out the lights from the neighbours.

We usually draw the drapes anyway. To keep the morning sun out, never mind waking up next to the 7th deck of another cruise ship and feeling like people are staring in your windows!

Royal Carribean Independence of the Seas. She has obscure glass petitions on the balconies , and they stop short of both the upper and lower decks.

some do not know there is a switch which is sometimes hidden behind the curtains. If it is a bother just ask your cabin steward to check it out, he is most likely theirs also, he can flip the switch off while turning down or mention to them to be sure and turn the lite off to conserve energy.

I'll start with one of mine; balcony lights:mad::mad: . Please, please do not turn your balcony light on the entire night. My wife and I just endured an entire cruise where the people on both sides of us put their lights on for the entire night every single night. Were they afraid of pirates or giant squid coming over the 7th deck railing? Unless we drew our drapes, it was like trying to sleep in the middle of the day; and never mind the beautiful full moon, and perfectly clear sky full of stars that were ruined.

I read this and can relate! The same thing happened on one of our cruises. I can sympathize, it was very annoying. DH told our cabin attendant and that night the light was off, only to happen the following night. DH knocked on the cabin door next to us and asked the husband about it only to find out his wife needed a night light. DH suggested their bathroom light, apparently that fixed our problem.

Royal Carribean Independence of the Seas. She has obscure glass petitions on the balconies , and they stop short of both the upper and lower decks.

I'm not sure what you mean by "obscure glass petition." I understand that you meant partition, rather than petition, but I don't think obscure is really the adjective you meant to use. :confused:

PS - I think I got it. You mean translucent, as in they pass light through, but you cannot really see through them (i.e. they "obscure" what's on the other side).

Ok.... I'm in. I agree with stepping in front of people. We were on Allure for the 70's night festivities. We were on the Rising Tide Bar when people jumped on and completely blocked our view. I simply tapped him on his shoulder and asked him to move. He did. Same thing on Freedom for New Years last year. We had a table outside the Pub and people just started putting their "empties" on it. Well there were 4 of us and there was barely room for our drinks. Didn't appreciate empty bottles and glasses just pushed over our shoulders and placed on our table (as we sat there). The final straw was the used napkin that some lady dropped on our table.

Last "rant." Smokers on balconies. I know you can smoke on the balcony, and I know that smoking spaces are limited. But when you smoke on your balcony and we are aft of you, we end up "smoking" on our balcony. My wife is highly allergic to smoke. Consequently we get chased off the balcony. Most often it is someone on the deck below so you can't simply say something. And I also realize this is one of the few places to smoke. Oh well.

some do not know there is a switch which is sometimes hidden behind the curtains. If it is a bother just ask your cabin steward to check it out, he is most likely theirs also, he can flip the switch off while turning down or mention to them to be sure and turn the lite off to conserve energy.

They evidently knew of the switch, since they turned them on at differing times each evening. Obviously the steward turned them off when making the room each morning, as they were not on during the day.

I'm not sure what you mean by "obscure glass petition." I understand that you meant partition, rather than petition, but I don't think obscure is really the adjective you meant to use. :confused:

PS - I think I got it. You mean translucent, as in they pass light through, but you cannot really see through them (i.e. they "obscure" what's on the other side).

I think they meant opaque glass partition.

I think they meant opaque glass partition.

Maybe. But opaque would mean no light gets through, whereas translucent means light can pass through, but you can't really see images through it. I think that's more what was meant (and that's the kind of glass partitions I've seen on ships). :)

You are not about to teach any one manners. Especially those wonderful folks that push in front of people in a wheelchair trying to get on an elevator...

As we "evolve" as a society, certain words become obsolete....one of them is manners, the other is consideration.

But we have given new meaning to the term "light up" on your balcony.

Just be glad you are not neighbors to some of those folks and have to put up with them 51 weeks of the year.

You got it. The "petition" was a case of the fingers being ahead of the brain, which occurs more each year , but "obscure" is used in the glass and building trades to describe a piece of glass that has had any of a broad range of treatments and finishes that do not allow a clear view. Opaque or translucent may have been a better choice though. Semantics, smantics, let board da boat and sail.:D

ob·scure

/əbˈskyʊər/ Show Spelled [uhthinsp.pngthinsp.pngb-skyoothinsp.pngthinsp.pngr] Show IPA adjective, ob·scur·er, ob·scur·est, verb, ob·scured, ob·scur·ing, noun

adjective 1. ( not clear or plain)

Please be mindful of having your balcony door open and closing the cabin door. The slam is not welcome. (I've had this on NCL so I'm not sure if RCI has something to prevent it.)

The layout of RCL cabins actually worsens this, since the entry door is in a narrow hall formed between the closet and bath room, creating a venturi. If the closet doors and bath door are not completely closed, they will also be sucked into this "dance of the doors".

Haven't been on RCL in awhile but on cruises in general I would say people saving lounge chairs by putting towels on them. I see signs that say not to do it, so I hope it is enforced. I noticed this particularly in the adult solarium areas. Is RCL good about enforcing this or adult only areas?

Debbie

Off Freedom 1/27.

Many times saw people use their hands to grab food off the buffet table.

HELLO, there is a reason for those black tongs, people!

I saw one passenger in December on the Monarch who avoided that entire issue by taking the whole plate of cookies from the WJ buffet to his table. Uggh.

Archived