Fellow cruisers: do/do not courtesies to your shipmates

MermaidWatcher

Here is my list.

1. Always introduce yourself to your fellow cruisers at the table. If you are asked to join a table be gracious and join in the conversation. If a fellow cruiser asks to sit with you be gracious and welcome them. Even if your at a table for 2 introduce yourself to the tables around you.

2. If a fellow cruiser is reading don't bother them they need their alone time too.

3. When part of a team be gracious even if you lose if you win shake the hands of the other teams. Don't go ballistic if you lost in the contest.

4. If you see a fellow cruiser having trouble see if they need help holding a door open or carrying a tray to the table.

5. Always talk in a low manner as you never know if your fellow cruisers are awake.

6. Do not hog chairs if you know your second person is not coming offer the chair next you to a cruiser in need.

7. When dining don't expect your fellow cruisers to speak your language. If there is a language barrier smile and listen . You can use hand signals to try and communicate.

8.If your table is getting into a heated discussion remember you don't have to enter in just be gracious and listen and that at an appropriate moment thank everyone and excuse yourself and wish them a pleasant evening. Then if you want to see if you can change tables you can graciously talk with the Maitre D.

9. Have good table manners just because your on vacation does not mean your table manners take a vacation too.

10. Be aware of your children and keep an eye on them don't let them run around and ruin other people's vacation if they are trying to read. Be mindful of the rules of the Solairum, age limits for adult activities and curfew.

11. Please go with your children to the buffet and serve them so they don't put their hands into the food.

12. Make sure that you wash your hands before and after every meal, restroom visit and please use the hand sanitizer.

13. If you are invited to attend a Meet and Mingle event please know you are not obliged to go just be nice and thank them for the invitation and say that you had something else planned. They will understand.

14. If you can;t make it for your dining reservation due to a reservation in a speciality restaurant or if you want to eat in the Windjammer please let the Maitre D know or call down to the dining room so they won't be waiting for you. If you know your going to a specialty restaurant please let your head waiter know the night before. Even if they have the manifest its still polite to let them know.

15. Please don't talk about personal finances, boast about your Crown and Anchor Status or stateroom with fellow cruisers. Were all on this boat together and we all come from various socioeconomic backgrounds. This may be the only vacation your fellow cruisers take every year or it may have been years since their last vacation. Please don't act like a snob. Just be friendly.

People walking on the clearly marked running side of the path. There's a reason we yell RUNNER PASSING at you every time we're about to pass you. You're on our side of the track and you haven't learnt from the dozen laps we just yelled RUNNER PASSING at you.

I do like the people relaxing and drinking on the deck chairs who cheer every time we run past them :)

Here is my list.

1. Always introduce yourself to your fellow cruisers at the table. If you are asked to join a table be gracious and join in the conversation. If a fellow cruiser asks to sit with you be gracious and welcome them. Even if your at a table for 2 introduce yourself to the tables around you.

2. If a fellow cruiser is reading don't bother them they need their alone time too.

3. When part of a team be gracious even if you lose if you win shake the hands of the other teams. Don't go ballistic if you lost in the contest.

4. If you see a fellow cruiser having trouble see if they need help holding a door open or carrying a tray to the table.

5. Always talk in a low manner as you never know if your fellow cruisers are awake.

6. Do not hog chairs if you know your second person is not coming offer the chair next you to a cruiser in need.

7. When dining don't expect your fellow cruisers to speak your language. If there is a language barrier smile and listen . You can use hand signals to try and communicate.

8.If your table is getting into a heated discussion remember you don't have to enter in just be gracious and listen and that at an appropriate moment thank everyone and excuse yourself and wish them a pleasant evening. Then if you want to see if you can change tables you can graciously talk with the Maitre D.

9. Have good table manners just because your on vacation does not mean your table manners take a vacation too.

10. Be aware of your children and keep an eye on them don't let them run around and ruin other people's vacation if they are trying to read. Be mindful of the rules of the Solairum, age limits for adult activities and curfew.

11. Please go with your children to the buffet and serve them so they don't put their hands into the food.

12. Make sure that you wash your hands before and after every meal, restroom visit and please use the hand sanitizer.

13. If you are invited to attend a Meet and Mingle event please know you are not obliged to go just be nice and thank them for the invitation and say that you had something else planned. They will understand.

14. If you can;t make it for your dining reservation due to a reservation in a speciality restaurant or if you want to eat in the Windjammer please let the Maitre D know or call down to the dining room so they won't be waiting for you. If you know your going to a specialty restaurant please let your head waiter know the night before. Even if they have the manifest its still polite to let them know.

15. Please don't talk about personal finances, boast about your Crown and Anchor Status or stateroom with fellow cruisers. Were all on this boat together and we all come from various socioeconomic backgrounds. This may be the only vacation your fellow cruisers take every year or it may have been years since their last vacation. Please don't act like a snob. Just be friendly.

I agree with most of these except for the one highlighted in red. If I were running for office then yes, I would introduce myself to other tables. Otherwise, I wouldn't want to interrupt the people at the surrounding tables.

Ok.... I'm in. I agree with stepping in front of people. We were on Allure for the 70's night festivities. We were on the Rising Tide Bar when people jumped on and completely blocked our view. I simply tapped him on his shoulder and asked him to move. He did. Same thing on Freedom for New Years last year. We had a table outside the Pub and people just started putting their "empties" on it. Well there were 4 of us and there was barely room for our drinks. Didn't appreciate empty bottles and glasses just pushed over our shoulders and placed on our table (as we sat there). The final straw was the used napkin that some lady dropped on our table.

Last "rant." Smokers on balconies. I know you can smoke on the balcony, and I know that smoking spaces are limited. But when you smoke on your balcony and we are aft of you, we end up "smoking" on our balcony. My wife is highly allergic to smoke. Consequently we get chased off the balcony. Most often it is someone on the deck below so you can't simply say something. And I also realize this is one of the few places to smoke. Oh well.

So what did you do then?

Don't leave the spoons and tongs inside the dish in the buffet, the plate is there for a reason. Leaving then there makes them hear up.

And please take notice of other people around you at the buffet. Don't get your breakfast potatoes one at a time if there are five people waiting.

1.) Turning the TV up loud than leaving the room, always nice at 10 pm. Spoke to the concierge, didn't happen again. 2.) Saving lounge chairs 4 hours before you plan on showing up. 3.) Not washing hands after using the bathroom. 4.) Leaving plates, cups or trash lying around.

On the plus side, in our 10 cruises we've met very few folks who are truly unpleasant.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Off Freedom 1/27.

Many times saw people use their hands to grab food off the buffet table.

HELLO, there is a reason for those black tongs, people!

Yuck, that's disgusting. That's why we try to eat in the DR for breakfast and lunch too.

Here is my list.

Well put!

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Please do not take my towels off the pool lounger.

I did not get up at 4am. to save 14 chairs for nothin!

:rolleyes:

Sea Ya

This gave me good laugh which I needed after a long day. Thanks Lioness! If we're ever on a cruise together I'll buy you a drink.

Let people off the elevator before charging on like a herd of cows. And don't hold the elevator doors open for your husband/wife/friend who's "just down the hall but coming".

This ones classic. On the Explorer in Dec the elevator doors opened and I got out after excusing myself. DH was at the back of the elevator. Four people come barreling in before he could get out. I said excuse me, but that gentleman is trying to get out. Response well we didn't know. I replied you didn't give us a chance:rolleyes:

Don't leave the spoons and tongs inside the dish in the buffet, the plate is there for a reason. Leaving then there makes them hear up.

And please take notice of other people around you at the buffet. Don't get your breakfast potatoes one at a time if there are five people waiting.

Just off the Independence from 01/27/12, and must have had this person ahead of me at the salad buffet. Picked up one piece of lettuce at a time and examined it 360 degrees before putting it in her plate or rejecting it and getting another, then started the process over. Same process for the tomotoes, carrots, etc; including the chopped boiled egg. Without exageration, it took her 10 minutes to get her plate; and left 15 people in line by the time she finished.

Most people who leave their balcony lights on , leave their tv on all night, butt in front of you at the buffet, etc. etc. etc. DO NOT see anything wrong with leaving towels on loungers and not coming to use them for hours on end. We mostly complain about things that disturb us personally, not those things that disturb the masses.

Most people who leave their balcony lights on , leave their tv on all night, butt in front of you at the buffet, etc. etc. etc. DO NOT see anything wrong with leaving towels on loungers and not coming to use them for hours on end. We mostly complain about things that disturb us personally, not those things that disturb the masses.

Ever gone to the pool and not found a single place to leave your towel?

Please, if you use a TA to make all of your arrangements, make sure they know your dining preferences. Allowing them to sign you up for a traditional seating you hate attending, so you never do, could leave another couple sitting alone at a large table for the entire cruise. Making sure your TA knows what you want will allow the cruise line to accommodate what others want.

I hate it when you enter an elevator (with plenty of room,

mind you) and the people inside don't reposition themselves to

make room for you. Plenty of room in the back but nobody

wants to move an inch to accomodate new people.

Most rude peeps I can deal with as they are bothering me for only a minute or two or I can simply leave the situation. The balcony issues are the ones that really bug me cause it does detract from my cruise when folks leave the balcony light on( can't see the ocean or the stars or sit out there in my robe late at night) or chain smoke out there or argue out there. ( Yep we have had all those on different cruises. one cruise the couple below would wind up every afternoon screaming at each other to the point we almost called security)We pledge to leave our light off, not chain smoke and talk quietly so as not to disturb others.

I'm sure most do not realize that some of these acts are really discourteous; so how about some friendly suggestions to help them?

I'll start with one of mine; balcony lights:mad::mad: . Please, please do not turn your balcony light on the entire night. My wife and I just endured an entire cruise where the people on both sides of us put their lights on for the entire night every single night. Were they afraid of pirates or giant squid coming over the 7th deck railing? Unless we drew our drapes, it was like trying to sleep in the middle of the day; and never mind the beautiful full moon, and perfectly clear sky full of stars that were ruined.

On some of my cruises, passengers were asked to turn off their balcony lights unless they were on their balconies, at least I think so (I never get a balcony cabin).

But if something like that is bothering you, and you didn't feel like saying anything to your neighbors, you can talk to the passengers' service desk and let them contact your neighbors. Maybe it didn't occur to them this was a problem for you.

Same thing with those who leave their balcony doors open. This messes with the climate control system on board.

Haven't been on RCL in awhile but on cruises in general I would say people saving lounge chairs by putting towels on them. I see signs that say not to do it, so I hope it is enforced. I noticed this particularly in the adult solarium areas. Is RCL good about enforcing this or adult only areas?

Debbie

In December, I was looking around for a deck chair to watch the movie. I saw a couple of chairs in a nice shady area that had a book and an item of clothing. I asked the people sitting nearby if they saw whomever left the stuff. Only one person had and said it was a long time before. I asked if it was within the last 30 minutes and she said she was sure it was longer than that. So I removed a book and blouse from one chair and put it on top of the stuff on the other. I told them, "You didn't see that." They all laughed. We were enjoying the movie and more than an hour later, some woman showed up and picked up the stuff from that other chair. I guess she realized she didn't have the right to complain (but if she had, I would have suggested she go up to the sun deck and look for the sign that said not to do what she had done).

Let me assure you that if my daughter was with me, I would have cleared both those chairs and that woman would have found her items on the nearest table or even on the deck itself.

Please replace the serving items into the same bin that you found them in. If you put them on a "plate" (which I have never seen), you run the risk of cross-contaminating food. As someone with severe shellfish allergies, this is important to me. If you feel they are "hearing up," (whatever that means), ask the closest crew member for a napkin so you can use that to pick up the tongs or serving spoon.

Please replace the serving items into the same bin that you found them in. If you put them on a "plate" (which I have never seen)' date=' you run the risk of [i']cross-contaminating[/i] food. As someone with severe shellfish allergies, this is important to me. If you feel they are "hearing up," (whatever that means), ask the closest crew member for a napkin so you can use that to pick up the tongs or serving spoon.

My guess is that the person who wrote that meant "heating up." Serving tongs can get hot if left in a serving dish. What usually happens, though, is that they slide down into the dish and the handle gets covered with food.

Archived