Milk for toddler on RCI

Headake

We head off on Rhapsody of the sea in 7 weeks, our little girl eats solids and any food. She still however likes a bottle to go to bed with just straight milk

Wondering can we get room service for this or somewhere on the ship we can grab a carton or bottle of milk to take back?

I have done a couple of things. Yes I have asked for it from room service. But I have also taken it from the Windjammer at breakfast and kept it on ice in the fridge till nighttime. But you would have to have a fridge.

I have also asked for it from the coffee bar on the RCI ships because if they have coffee and cookies then they MUST have milk ;)

Oh and another tip I have picked up from this board - shelf stable milk. I had never heard of it before but I looked for it before one cruise. And we packed it to go with us. And bought some extra in Miami. It worked too.

Headake, keep posting your questions in this forum instead of the regular RCI forum. The waters over here are a little calmer for the most part.:)

I love high and mighty people, they must use different money to buy their tickets that give them more rights. (I understand the rules and reasons why and like all parent will follow even tho not fully agreeing with them)

I have done a couple of things. Yes I have asked for it from room service. But I have also taken it from the Windjammer at breakfast and kept it on ice in the fridge till nighttime. But you would have to have a fridge.

I have also asked for it from the coffee bar on the RCI ships because if they have coffee and cookies then they MUST have milk ;)

Oh and another tip I have picked up from this board - shelf stable milk. I had never heard of it before but I looked for it before one cruise. And we packed it to go with us. And bought some extra in Miami. It worked too.

Cool, figured it wouldn't be issue as she doesn't need formulae or baby food anymore just that milk at night as comforter

I love high and mighty people, they must use different money to buy their tickets that give them more rights. (I understand the rules and reasons why and like all parent will follow even tho not fully agreeing with them)

Wow! I had to jump over to see what was going on. Instead of going through all of the pages on that debate (I have to watch my blood pressure - hee hee) I will give you a tip here if it wasn't said in the 8 pages over there. And I apologize if it was - as I said - I don't feel like wading through the garbage.

Take a small inflatable baby pool on Rhapsody. Fill it with a couple of buckets of water. Dump it in a janitors closet (ask a crew member where they are) - or shower drain. If its small enough - it can double as a bath tub.

^^^^

Sad to say a lot of the "garbage" and rudeness posted to the "I'm shocked my non potty trained child can't swim in the RCI pool" came directly from the OP. she had the, "I'm not being told what I want to hear" syndrome, and came back with both barrels blasting. You can't fling attitude like that, and not expect it to be returned.

Wow!

That looks like an epic thread over at the RCI forums. Now I have something to read at lunch @ work! Thanks!

It's difficult for people to be respectful in an internet forum. Unfortunately for myself, I've enjoyed using message boards since the days of 300 baud modems on the Commodore 64 my parent bought me back in the 80s.

There are rules of communication that aren't followed in message boards because of the degree of anonymity associated with posting messages. Still, Headake hasn't been as lively in this sub-board as he was in the RCI board, so we can still discuss the subject of milk pleasantly.

When I was brave enough to take my kid on a cruise under the age of two, we were on Disney. Disney is crazy expensive, but it's rated really high by Conde Nast for a reason.

Service is impeccable.

The following year after that Disney cruise, my youngest was 2.5 years, but all three of my kids like drinking milk (well, my middle one likes chocolate milk more than plain). We were aboard the Navigator of the Seas. Boxed milk was available at the Windjammer in the evenings as well as the Cafe Promenade (which is not on the Rhapsody)

Probably the one cruise where we had difficulty getting milk (I ended up going to a bar and having them send a runner for boxed milk) was aboard the Grand Princess. After breakfast, the boxed milk was gone. Still, it's a cruise vacation and you may always find a crew member/bar service who's willing to accommodate you.

In regards to the pool thing? Errr... Swim diapers are like tea bags... and cruise ships don't chlorinate as much as land based pools can... EPA regulations or something.

When we were on that Disney cruise, the "Mickey Pool" (the shallow one for non-potty trained sweethearts) would be closed most of the day.

- They'd fill it

- There'd be an AFR (Accidental Fecal Release)

- They'd close it for two hours

- It was drained

- Yellow jumpsuited cast members (it's Disney) would swarm the thing with bleach and scrub brushes

- It'd stay empty and roped off the entire two hours

- {Repeat}

Thing was closed ALL DAY on the sea days... Now imagine an AFR on the Rhapsody... with 2000 other passengers.

People get mental.

I've just booked a short 2 day cruise out of Southampton and are planning to book a 12 day med cruise in the summer. When we first cruised our boy was only 7 months so he was all formula, baby food etc ....

He will be 18 months and eats solids, fruit etc ... but he still does like milk first thing and before bed in the evening. I hadn't thought about how we would get the milk and potentially strore it. I think I need to keep an eye on the family cruising threads a little more. Thanks for everyones suggestions and help it is certainly different cruising with a little one.

We head off on Rhapsody of the sea in 7 weeks, our little girl eats solids and any food. She still however likes a bottle to go to bed with just straight milk

Wondering can we get room service for this or somewhere on the ship we can grab a carton or bottle of milk to take back?

I'm just going to focus on the topic of this thread...

We requested a carton of whole milk to go towards the end of dinner to use for his bottle. We also requested a carton with room service in the morning. I found they kept cooler in the ice bucket than the fridge. With a little ice and the lid on, they were cold for a good 12 hours.

I do think the OP's attitude makes it harder on the rest of us parents cruising responsibly with kids, but since others will look at the title of this thread and look for information - one good idea I was given here when my girls cruised as babies/toddlers was to bring a stack of $1 bills for room service. It was nice to have milk delivered at night and first thing in the morning for their bottles/sippy cups - along with coffee for mama!

Best,

Mia

This is a good idea. We brought along some shelf stable milk on our last cruise, and it kept wonderfully in the stateroom.

The brand we see in Costco is Horizon. Not sure what brands may be found in Australia, but it is also known as "UHT" or ultra high temperature milk.

The only problem with room service is that when my kids want milk...they want it NOW...not 30 minutes from now. <sigh>

I was always able to get single serve cartons of Whole and Skim from the coffee bar in the windjammer. If your kids stay up latter than mine, you may need to plan ahead and grab few extra to keep on ice or the fridge for after the Windjammer closes..

Archived