Tell me about cruising the Caribbean in the Summer

need2cruisesoon

I've done Europe (med. cruise)the past couple years with my girlfriend but looking for something different that would include more fun and beach time and less time in the airplane. Flying to Europe from the west coast is a grind and it takes the body days to recover. We are limited to the summer because of her job as a school teacher and looking to do 2 weeks this June or July. So now we are looking possibly in doing a cruise in the Caribbean combined with a couple days driving to Key west.

So here are my questions:

- how is the weather at that time?

- less cruise ships so less choices of itinerary?

- less or more people on ships? is this off season?

- time to try the Oasis or Allure?

- which is best, eastern, southern or western cruise?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

First, saying what's best is impossible because what's best for you might not be best for anyone else.

Summer in the Caribbean will be hot, humid and more rainy than at other times. It's also hurricane season. You're correct that there aren't a lot of choices in the summer since most ships go to Europe or Alaska in summer. Time of year makes no difference for Oasis or Allure as they are positioned in the same area year round. Summer is not considered off season and ships will be crowded with loads of families, which means tons of kids. Can't get away from that.

Just choose something and go for it. There's no right or wrong with your decision.

June really isn't hurricane season...but that's not to say that one couldn't occur!

Weather in the Caribbean is hot and humid from early May until Nov. or so....

All ships sail pretty much full every single time...they are designed for a "full house"..no worries!

Beware of your ports...itineraries that include the Bahamas, Bermuda or Key West are NOT in the Caribbean, if that's what you're looking for....those places are in the Atlantic (KW is also bordering the Gulf of Mexico!) I'd go for a Southern Caribbean cruise...all things being the same! On a Western route, you go to Mexico which has lots of ruins and history....(not a fan!)...and on the Eastern routes, you have beautiful beaches and some shopping. Read up on your potential ports, to get an idea of what each place offers.

My DW is also a school teacher so our cruises are always summer or spring break. Personally I prefer the ports in the Southern Caribbean. It will be hot and humid so drink plenty of water. Most occasions of rain that I have experienced are very brief showers. With at least a dozen summer Caribbean cruises I have yet to be affected by a hurricane. Go for what looks most interesting to you. Bon Voyage.

http://luv2cruise.blogspot.com

We have only gone on one cruise in the summer ( mid July) and I think it was to the Bahamas only. Weather and seas were fine since there were no Hurricanes at that time. I wouldn't book a cruise in mid to late Aug., Sept or Oct. due to possible hurricanes. I prefer the Eastern Carib. itinerary that includes Antigua and St. Lucia. We just got back fr. cruising to Bahamas,Curacao and Aruba. The Southern Carib. was beautiful but we felt it was too many sea days for us (3 1/2 in a week).

If you want a break from tons of kids and you have 2 weeks for vacation, a 10 day may suit you. Mt preference is also southern Caribbean, but Allure and Oasis are intriguing and they only do 7 days, I think. You'll have a great time, whatever you choose!

"Hurricane season in the Atlantic begins June 1st and ends November 30th" Quote copied directly from the National Hurricane Center website.

We have only gone on one cruise in the summer ( mid July) and I think it was to the Bahamas only. Weather and seas were fine since there were no Hurricanes at that time. I wouldn't book a cruise in mid to late Aug., Sept or Oct. due to possible hurricanes. I prefer the Eastern Carib. itinerary that includes Antigua and St. Lucia. We just got back fr. cruising to Bahamas,Curacao and Aruba. The Southern Carib. was beautiful but we felt it was too many sea days for us (3 1/2 in a week).

"Hurricane season in the Atlantic begins June 1st and ends November 30th" Quote copied directly from the National Hurricane Center website.

Correct, however hurricanes are very rare in June and July. Mid-August to early October is peak season. While summer in Caribbean IS hotter and more humid than other times, it is only by a couple of degrees - there isn't the extreme variations in temperature experienced in the north : from 20's in the winter to 80's in the summer.

A lot more families and kids on the ships in the summer and not as many choices, as many ships in the Caribbean in the winter are in Alaska and Europe in the summer. And yes, the "official" hurricane season starts in June, but they are less common early on in the season as compared to Aug/Sept/Oct

We did summer in the Caribbean cruises for years and loved them. We'd do it again without hesitation but HAL no longer has ships in the Caribbean between about mid April until about mid October. The temperature in the Caribbean islands really doesn't vary that much during the year but the level of humidity rises in the summer.

The irony is we never had any hurricane issues for any of our summer Caribbean cruises, however, we had a cruise substantially end three days early and we hurried back to embark/debark port doing a Canada/New England cruise a few years ago due to hurricane.

We have been at a hotel in FLL on 17th Street Causeway which is across from Port Everglades providing full views and there are very few ships sailing out of FLL in the summer.

Oasis and Allure sail on Saturday and Sunday and there was one Carnival ship and I think maybe we saw one RCI ship in over two weeks. Cruise prices likely are lower for those summer cruises though with so few choices, perhaps they keep the prices up with a supply and demand balance? Worth looking into if it interests you.

We sailed the southern Caribbean in the summer and found it to be perfect. If you think about the tilt of the earth, when it is the dead of the summer in the northern hemisphere, it is like spring or fall near the equator.

I would sail there in the summer in a heartbeat.

We did summer in the Caribbean cruises for years and loved them. We'd do it again without hesitation but HAL no longer has ships in the Caribbean between about mid April until about mid October. The temperature in the Caribbean islands really doesn't vary that much during the year but the level of humidity rises in the summer.

The irony is we never had any hurricane issues for any of our summer Caribbean cruises, however, we had a cruise substantially end three days early and we hurried back to embark/debark port doing a Canada/New England cruise a few years ago due to hurricane.

We have been at a hotel in FLL on 17th Street Causeway which is across from Port Everglades providing full views and there are very few ships sailing out of FLL in the summer.

Oasis and Allure sail on Saturday and Sunday and there was one Carnival ship and I think maybe we saw one RCI ship in over two weeks. Cruise prices likely are lower for those summer cruises though with so few choices, perhaps they keep the prices up with a supply and demand balance? Worth looking into if it interests you.

Thanks for the response. So you would only do a Caribbean cruise if HAL had a summer itinerary? Have you tried the Oasis or Allure?

I'm wondering what cruise either Princess, Carnival or RC would have the least amount of kids during that time. The heat and humidity would bother me so maybe excursions are out and just relaxing by poolside is the best for me.

I did check availability on a couple cruises at that time and was surprised to see that certain ships are almost at capacity, especially the 8 day Freedom cruise of the southern Carib. So you are right in that less options would mean ships at capacity.

I have done all of the caribbean. It's hard to beat the southern part. To do this one right you have to fly to San Juan and leave from there. I did this one on Carnival and the only problem was a loud balcony. The islands are beautiful with a variety you don't get in the western caribbean.

Archived