Eurodeam VT viewing balcony...would you book it?

JanetAlice

My sister is taking a 7 day cruise in the Norwegian Fjords on the Eurodam and has tentatively booked the viewing balcony. Would people who have stayed in this room share your views? Would you book it again? What did or didn't you like about it? Thanks

We've not had one, and would not intentionally book one because DW likes to sit and read on our balconies. I'm only out there maybe 1/2 hour max, generally standing, when entering or leaving a port to take pictures, so I think the non-seating wouldn't bother me a lot. Also remember that those cabins are the worst for both pitching and rolling.

No, I don't think I would. I like balconies but I'd rather be lower and have at least some natural light/ocean view, even if it is obstructed.

That said, if it was the only cabin available and I really wanted to be on that cruise, I'd take it. :)

No I would not book that cabin. If you have any tendency for sea sickness don't take these cabins and balconies, what balconies, just enough room to stand on, not for me.

Problem is if you book the lower Veranda categories, VE and VF it was it's only a guarantee and you can't select a room. The reservie the right to upgrade you and that may be to a VT category. You can only select your room beginning at a VD level. I find that strange.

Problem is if you book the lower Veranda categories, VE and VF it was it's only a guarantee and you can't select a room.

HAL ranks the VT between VF and VE, so if you book a VE guarantee you will not be assigned a VT.

I would be happy with the VT as a free upgrade from VH or lower, but I wouldn't book one.

Also remember on the Eurodam and N.A. if you book any level Vx cabin from V down to VH as a guarantee you can be assigned a VQ cabin, which HAL ranks at the top of the class. These are high up and far forward, and have just 4 ft deep balconies (albeit with chairs) like the deck 5 VE and VF. I would be very unhappy to pay for a V or VA and be given a VQ.

My sister is taking a 7 day cruise in the Norwegian Fjords on the Eurodam and has tentatively booked the viewing balcony. Would people who have stayed in this room share your views? Would you book it again? What did or didn't you like about it? Thanks

If you take a look at the Noordam roll call for the upcoming Feb 18 departure you'll find some interesting comments plus at least one photo.

Mike

I'll be in 11001 on March 2 and will post pics when I get back. I see it as being a plus for view, proximity of amenities that are important to me, and fresh air! I always have had a balcony in the past, aft being my favorite, but rarely spend time lounging on it.

I hope the mini balcony works for us but will never know unless we try it.

We stayed in one and I liked it. I never ever use the balcony, even when we were in a Deluxe Suite or the PH on another line, or Owners Suite on still another.

I only use any balcony for taking pictures.

Note these cabins are small, and for a large size person I don't think it would be easy crawling over the bed to get to that Juliet balcony. Note we stayed in one on a 3 night cruise.

We did the Baltic RT from Copenhagen on Eurodam in a VT and loved the proximity to the Crow's Nest. It was great to have an extra semi-private rest room down the hall just 30 feet away when both of us needed to brush teeth. LOL! Instead of worrying about the size of the balcony we rented a private cabana. I have absolutely no issues with the size of the cabin or the location (which probably puts me in the minority) and am speaking from personal experience rather than what I've heard from others.

I'll be in 11001 on March 2 and will post pics when I get back. I see it as being a plus for view, proximity of amenities that are important to me, and fresh air! I always have had a balcony in the past, aft being my favorite, but rarely spend time lounging on it.

I hope the mini balcony works for us but will never know unless we try it.

I believe that is the one we stayed in, and booked it for the reasons that you mention. There is easy access to the outside.

Thank you. The balcony is actually larger than I had imagined.

I'd be happy with that as an alternative to an OV, but only on a cruise where rough seas were unlikely.

Otherwise, I'd still stick with "low and central" as I do tend to get travel sick.

We spend a lot of time on our balcony, and if sailing with friends, will have them over as well. To us, the larger the better for drinks, breakfast or lunch.

I also spend tons of time on the balcony. I just don't understand why you wouldn't but that's just me.

I was upgraded to a VQ from a VA on my last cruise. I was worried that the balcony would be small based on comments I read here. I didn't notice any difference.

Spent our 28 day Baltic cruise in VT 11010. LOVED IT!

Pros:

Proximity to all the Crow's Nest amenities. Coffee, library, lectures etc. Really enjoyed the port side of the Crow's Nest in the evening. Couches, chairs and seldom anyone else there. Took my book, ordered a glass of wine and felt like I had my own private living room just steps from my room.

Only 5 staterooms in our hall and we had the one at the end. Quietest cabin we've ever had.

Balconey had the best view ever! We were out there coming in and out of all our ports and for taking photos when we saw something of interest. It was quite a cold weather cruise and we would not have had any interest in sitting outside.

Down 2 decks (used the stairs) put us at the Spa, Lido pool and then the Lido restuarant.

Cabin size is the same as the other Verandah staterooms. Think it may seem smaller to some because the furniture is configured differently.

Cons:

None for me. I will say however, if I was on a warm weather cruise I would want a larger balconey as we would enjoy sitting out. On our prior cruise we had a VA aft and loved that balconey.

I believe all the Eurodam balcony doors are hinged. We generally prefer the sliding glass door because it can be left open and during good weather create essentially and extended cabin space. A small balcony with the hinged door further reduces the usable balcony area if you can manage to prop the door open. For this reason, the hinged door on the viewing balcony cabins would be the deciding factor for us.

I believe all the Eurodam balcony doors are hinged. We generally prefer the sliding glass door because it can be left open and during good weather create essentially and extended cabin space. A small balcony with the hinged door further reduces the usable balcony area if you can manage to prop the door open. For this reason, the hinged door on the viewing balcony cabins would be the deciding factor for us.

Looks like it's a sliding door.

VT-11008-Spa-Stateroom-3.jpg

We generally prefer the sliding glass door because it can be left open and during good weather create essentially and extended cabin space.
Please do not do this! It negatively impacts others in your HVAC zone, especially any inside cabins, as the cool air takes the path of least resistance (back pressure) out your door instead of into their cabins. You enjoy extended cabin space, they roast. Your HVAC can be several decks high and dozens of cabins on each deck, so just because there are no Inside cabins across the hall from you, there may still be some in your zone.

I believe all HAL balcony doors are marked "Please keep closed ..."

Thank you.

Since you are new to Cruise Critic you most likely do not know that leaving your balcony door open deprives every cabin down the line from you of air conditioning as the system struggles to cool your cabin. People in inside cabins suffer the most from this practice.

If you do not believe me I am sure that enough people will chime in here to make a believer out of you. When I had my first balcony I was an offender as well, but as soon as I read about the issue on Cruise Critic I have been very mindful of not negatively impacting others by propping the door open.

Archived