If You are Flying From Logan for Your Cruise........

sail7seas

I'm so glad we got a generator, but I hope we don't have to use it. They expect lots of power outages here too.

It's the loss of power and possible trees down that makes it so scary. We live on a side street and no plow has been by yet.

Judy, Josie is further north than I am.I'm 30 minutes north of NYC.

Stay safe everyone.

We talked about getting a generator after Hurricane Sandie hit NY so badly but then we went to Westerdam and forgot about it. Now I'm sorry. :(

Oh well, no use worrying about it. What will be, will be.

As long as we all stay safe.

Just north of Toronto here. I drove in it earlier, but by the time I got home (around 3 p.m.) I was very happy to be home.

I haven't even looked outside since then. A 4 hour nap helped. I don't need to be anywhere until Monday.

The Toronto airport had cancelled more than 400 flights by lunch time. Mostly to destinations that were also affected by the snow.

We are definitely into the storm and getting about an inch plus of snow an hour. This is only the beginning of what is to come but to look out our windows is to see a very earnest snow storm already. The wind is not dramatic yet.

Our friends in Canada. What is predicted for Nova Scotia, New Brunswick? Where else in Canada are you expecting heavy snow?

Here in Ottawa we woke to -28C with the windchill and about 5cm of very greasy snow. It snowed all day with moderate winds but a definite dampness in the air. Not nice but pretty much business as usual here for Feb. We are not a part of snowmageddon as you on the east coast are-ours is a different system, same one as Toronto. Everyone is talking about the storm though and my thoughts are with all of you who are really getting hit.

It makes me think of our last couple of days on the NA in October right before Sandy hit. We were all aboard in complete bliss when the news of the storm started to make the rounds on the ship. People started turning on cell phones and panicking- no way home to the States. We were just plain lucky we didn't connect through the States which would be totally normal. We flew from Barcelona to London and London to Ottawa. You should have seen the lines at the Main desk with people scrambling getting stranded in Barcelona. What a mess............

Take care everyone. :eek:

The storm, after 36 hours, is finally letting up. It is still snowing, but not too bad now. We got about 50 cm but Boston is supposed to get 90!

Time to go out and shovel....again....

Holy crap! So sorry you guys got blasted. We have about 15cm here in Ottawa. I'd trade as we are much better equipped for these type of things......:eek:

One caveat...Go Sens Go.

How is it in your area, Josie?

Are you close to NYC?

Judy, I'm about 30 miles north of the Cruise Terminal in Manhattan, right up the Hudson River.

Just started with the freezing rain. So far we still have power. My husband and I thought, since were cooped up it would be a good time to start painting my family room. We got about half of it done, the positive side to the storm :)

Happy to hear you're getting a good project done. :) Sometimes being snowbound is a good thing.

We are so grateful to still have our power though there are something like 210,000 in MA who do not at this time. I sooooooooooo hope our power stays up. We all know it can sometimes take so long to get it back up and running. It's way too cold for that to be bearable.

Here in Ottawa we woke to -28C with the windchill and about 5cm of very greasy snow.....

The things you learn on Cruise Critic. A quick google search helped me out, but I'd never heard the phrase "greasy snow" before this. I'm thinking good thoughts for everyone up north in the blizzard's path. Stay safe up there!

Thanks for the updates everyone. Glad everyone is keeping their power so far. I was watching the weather tonoght and he mentioned Long Island will take a direct hit. I have a friend there and she lost power for several days in hurricane Sandy. They are supposed to be leaving on a cruise on Sunday from Bayonne. It's not looking to good.

I hardly slept from the wind blowing last night but I'm not complaining as we still have power. Fingers crossed it stays on. Our plow guy has done our driveway at least three times already trying to keep up with the storm but it all keeps blowing back and he has to clear it all over again. If this is not the worst snowstorm/blizzard we have ever experienced in Boston, it sure feels like it. I haven't heard official figures as the storm is not over yet but it feels like an historic one to me.

I'm interested to hear what happened in other areas like NY, RI, and NJ.

This is a miserable storm.

I live 26 miles north of NYC. I just got my elderly dog out and carried her through at least 14 inches of snow to get to a slightly cleared street. I am sure it is much deeper in Boston. I was there as a college student in 78 and I never saw so much snow. Glad you still have power.

Thanks for the updates everyone. Glad everyone is keeping their power so far. I was watching the weather tonoght and he mentioned Long Island will take a direct hit. I have a friend there and she lost power for several days in hurricane Sandy. They are supposed to be leaving on a cruise on Sunday from Bayonne. It's not looking to good.

By Sunday it should all be cleaned up, the ship will probably leave on time, I hope your friend can make it out.

For the most part we were spared, it didn't seem windy at all last night, we did get about 18 inches maybe more, I'll have to go out an make some snow angels.....NOT! We didn't lose power I hope S7S, Ruth, Sapper and all the others who live up in the New England states fared as well.

I haven't turned on the news yet, because I can't STAND listening to them anymore. So I don't know how bad it was in other places.

What a mess. I really can't see outside too well, as all the windows are covered in snow. When it switched to freezing rain last night they got wet, then it changed back to snow, and it all stick in clumps. I can't open the front door to check, either, which does scare me. I like to know I can get out in emergency.

I'll cuddle up with a hot mug of coffee and relax.

The lights flickered a couple of times last evening, and power went out for a few minutes---just long enough that I had to reset the clock and answering machine.

But at least Boston had some regular TV programming, so I was able to escape for a while. And I was smart enough to leave the heat turned up all night---just in case.

I am fortunate. There are at least 185,000 homes in RI without power, and in a state this size, that's a good chunk of the population.

Glad you're OK. We got some freezing rain last night too. Lucky we didn't get any wind, that's what scares me, my property is surrounded by huge old oaks, if one of those come down, it won't be good. We were lucky our neighbor came over this morning with his snow blower, our driveway is all clear, as well as our street. So no complaining here.

Hope you can get out soon.

Good to hear you are safe and warm, Josie and RuthC. I've been thinking about you.

Good you could get your furbaby out, Smitty. :)

I can't open our back door but the front door is cleared. We also could go out through our garage in an emergency.

We are so grateful to have our power and now wait for our plow guy to come again. The snow has lightened up but is still snowing and adding measurable inches. We don't know the total amount until the snow finally stops.

I shiver to think what this bill will be. :D Whatever..... it's worth every dime to us!!!!!

Hoping to hear from Sapper and Kazu and others in Atlantic Canada.

Stay safe and warm everyone.

Connecticut here.

According to the news , we have 2 feet. Could hardly get out either door this morning. Thank God I have skinny kids who were able to wedge through and shovel out enough so I could get out. Talk about Make Room for Daddy *LOL*

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher and had to be into work at 8am. Called work at 5:30am and said I am starting to showel out now , but even if i do , the plows haven't even touched my street . Even with an all wheel drive I couldn't get out of this.

Supervisor said "Take your time, and wait for the plow. The whole day shift called saying the same thing."

We dug out the cars and a pretty good path to them , but thats about as far as we go.

I live on a residential cul de sac , so we are usually the last to get plowed. Once they hit us it's all main streets around here , so it should be OK.

According to my supervisor , the plows actually stopped at one point during the night because it was just shoveling you know what against the tide, but supposed they have resumed .

I asked him if it was busy last night (Fridays are usually hopping) . he said it was pretty slow, everyone staying inside and out of trouble .

Whats scary is even if they had a call, it is going to take one hell of a time for the police , fire and ambulance to get there . He said they had about 3 police cars, one ambulance and a fire engine stuck out in the snow.

Stay safe everyone!!!!!!!!

We live in a condo in Boston's South End so no shoveling for us! I love the snow so watching it last evening was a treat. After dinner we went for a walk through the hood, since there were no cars and only the occasional plow we could walk down the middle of the usually busy streets. Everything was shut down tight except our favorite watering hole which we felt was our duty to patronize! Today will be a day full of nothing to do but watch the remains of the storm and comfort food. In the daylight the neighborhood is quite beautiful. Life is good!

I should note here that I'm not crazy but that I'm originally from Northern Michigan so this is just like the many I can remember growing up!

Stay safe in your travels everyone.

Connecticut here.

According to the news , we have 2 feet. Could hardly get out either door this morning. Thank God I have skinny kids who were able to wedge through and shovel out enough so I could get out. Talk about Make Room for Daddy *LOL*

I am a 9-1-1 dispatcher and had to be into work at 8am. Called work at 5:30am and said I am starting to showel out now , but even if i do , the plows haven't even touched my street . Even with an all wheel drive I couldn't get out of this.

Supervisor said "Take your time, and wait for the plow. The whole day shift called saying the same thing."

We dug out the cars and a pretty good path to them , but thats about as far as we go.

I live on a residential cul de sac , so we are usually the last to get plowed. Once they hit us it's all main streets around here , so it should be OK.

According to my supervisor , the plows actually stopped at one point during the night because it was just shoveling you know what against the tide, but supposed they have resumed .

I asked him if it was busy last night (Fridays are usually hopping) . he said it was pretty slow, everyone staying inside and out of trouble .

Whats scary is even if they had a call, it is going to take one hell of a time for the police , fire and ambulance to get there . He said they had about 3 police cars, one ambulance and a fire engine stuck out in the snow.

Stay safe everyone!!!!!!!!

Happy to hear you and yours are safe and warm.

It is something I think about in these bad storms...... Even if police or fire want to come help, how can they? The plows kept our street 'useable' throughout the night but they worked as hard as I've ever seen. From what I have seen from my front window, it seems the City was prepared and did the best possible job under these circumstances.

One storm when we could not open our doors, I took out the top half of our storm door (top screen/storm is removeable) and bottom is metal and we had to shovel through the open top of the door until we removed enough weight of snow to be able to push the door open. No skinny kids here to 'make room'. I loved your 'make room for daddy'. :)

Be safe when you go to work. Don't become the emergency. :eek:

[Remember your Mom and me are 'very alike' you have mentioned!!!! :D]

Happy to hear you and yours are safe and warm.

It is something I think about in these bad storms...... Even if police or fire want to come help, how can they? The plows kept our street 'useable' throughout the night but they worked as hard as I've ever seen. From what I have seen from my front window, it seems the City was prepared and did the best possible job under these circumstances.

One storm when we could not open our doors, I took out the top half of our storm door (top screen/storm is removeable) and bottom is metal and we had to shovel through the open top of the door until we removed enough weight of snow to be able to push the door open. No skinny kids here to 'make room'. I loved your 'make room for daddy'. :)

Be safe when you go to work. Don't become the emergency. :eek:

[Remember your Mom and me are 'very alike' you have mentioned!!!! :D]

Glad you are safe too.

*LOL* Yes I do hear my Mom in many of your posts :)

Mom is happily in Del Rey Beach this fine day (so she can complain about tracking sand into the house instead of snow :)

Almost every major storm we have had in the past 29 years , I am usually the one stuck at work 24 -30 hours because my relief is snowbound, stormbound , whaterver . This is my first time the shoe is on the other foot.

Have to say not an alltogether bad thing *LOL* As long as the power is on and the storm is actually over. At least here with the exception of a few winds now and again.

So glad you're safe, Sail!!!!

What a storm.

I admit I didn't read through the entire thread, but I would like an update on the wine selection that your DH brought home!!!!:D

Stay warm everyone!

I should have known who'd zero in on what is REALLY important in those whole storm thread. :D :D GREAT!!!!

He brought me a wonderful Rioja to make me think of our stays in Marbella, Spain....... A Silverado - wonderful! :) A wine we enjoy on the ships. Senses association and all that. :)

Archived