A 5 day that doesn't go to Jamaica or the Bahamas

Newbie41

I'm looking for a 5 day cruise for summer. I don't want to do western caribbean, I prefer Eastern. I also don't want to go the the Bahamas because I've heard so many negative things about it. Can anyone who has cruised to the bahamas shed some light on all the negative Bahamas comments. I've been to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Marten, and St. Kitts and loved them all. So I wouldn't mind a cruise that goes to any of these islands. It seems that most shorter cruises do go to the Bahamas, which I was trying to stter clear of unless someone can give me a good reason to go.

If you could drive your car at 65 MPH from Miami to St. Kitts (@2300 miles round trip) you would just barely make it in 5 days. A cruise ship sailing at 23 knots would not be able to do anything like this.

The islands you mention are very nice but a ship only spends a very short time in port. You should consider flying to one of the islands and staying afew days at an AI.

I'm looking for a 5 day cruise for summer. I don't want to do western caribbean, I prefer Eastern. I also don't want to go the the Bahamas because I've heard so many negative things about it. Can anyone who has cruised to the bahamas shed some light on all the negative Bahamas comments. I've been to San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Marten, and St. Kitts and loved them all. So I wouldn't mind a cruise that goes to any of these islands. It seems that most shorter cruises do go to the Bahamas, which I was trying to stter clear of unless someone can give me a good reason to go.

What about the Grand Cayman/Cozumel cruise from Tampa?

A five day that takes you to HMC, Key West and yes everyone's most unfavorite port, Nassau. You said you did not want to go to the Bahamas because of negative things being said, but sounded as if you would consider it if someone could give you a reason. The beautiful beach of Half Moon Cay is one of the most compelling reasons as far as I am concerned. I have yet to hear anything negative about HMC, many, many people like Key West and you could stay on the ship for Nassau. I much prefer this itinerary over St. Thomas and especially San Juan.

Or what about a cruise from the West coast to Cabo and Puerta Vallerta. I loved those ports and think that they do a short cruise from possibly Long Beach?

Let me give you more details. DH and I are taking our son on a cruise. He is an adult, but this will be his first cruise. That is why flying to an island is out of the question. I've never been to Jamaica or the Bahamas, but have read a lot of negative things about both of them on here. That is why I was looking for something that does not include these islands. We can't take a week long cruise because I am taking a cruise in November and have to save most of my vacation time for that. If anyone has cruised to the Bahamas or Jamaica can you please either confirm or refute all the negative posts about Jamaica and the Bahamas.

Let me give you more details. DH and I are taking our son on a cruise. He is an adult, but this will be his first cruise. That is why flying to an island is out of the question. I've never been to Jamaica or the Bahamas, but have read a lot of negative things about both of them on here. That is why I was looking for something that does not include these islands. We can't take a week long cruise because I am taking a cruise in November and have to save most of my vacation time for that. If anyone has cruised to the Bahamas or Jamaica can you please either confirm or refute all the negative posts about Jamaica and the Bahamas.

The Triumph out of Galveston does 5 day cruises with stops in Progresso and Cozumel.

A five day that takes you to HMC, Key West and yes everyone's most unfavorite port, Nassau. You said you did not want to go to the Bahamas because of negative things being said, but sounded as if you would consider it if someone could give you a reason. The beautiful beach of Half Moon Cay is one of the most compelling reasons as far as I am concerned. I have yet to hear anything negative about HMC, many, many people like Key West and you could stay on the ship for Nassau. I much prefer this itinerary over St. Thomas and especially San Juan.

Or what about a cruise from the West coast to Cabo and Puerta Vallerta. I loved those ports and think that they do a short cruise from possibly Long Beach?

The west coast no longer has any Mexican Riviera cruises during the summer. As far as the shorter cruises from the west coast, not worth the airfare. I'd prefer Nassau 100 times more than Ensenada. West coast has no options.

There are wonderful things to do in Jamaica. Check out the ports of call boards. Nassau has many things as well. Most complain because they've been there many times.

Please do not avoid a cruise just because it includes these stops!! Seriously, check out the ports of call boards.

I thought of that, too, but the OP specifically stated no Western Caribbean.

The Paradise from Tampa to Grand Cayman and Cozumel is an excellent 5 night itinerary, but about as Western Caribbean as it gets.

Oh wow so what you are telling me is just because you read it somewhere on the Internet that something is negative you believe it....without you experiencing it yourself??:eek::rolleyes:

If that's the case one would never cruise...someone somewhere is going to say something bad about another port, ship, or heck cruise line. You say you prefer Carnival but if I'm going to believe what I read on these boards Carnival is the "Wal-Mart" of cruise lines.:cool: We know that's all blah-blah-blah. I'm not saying this to bash...it's coming from a good place....I'm saying it to say try, experience, and see for yourself. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure". Jamaica and the Bahamas is not all so bad. If safety s your concern Carnival would have pulled out like they are doing with their Mexico stop.:(

Plan out your activities and go on that adventure:D Happy Cruising!:D

Oh wow so what you are telling me is just because you read it somewhere on the Internet that something is negative you believe it....without you experiencing it yourself??:eek::rolleyes:

If that's the case one would never cruise...someone somewhere is going to say something bad about another port, ship, or heck cruise line. You say you prefer Carnival but if I'm going to believe what I read on these boards Carnival is the "Wal-Mart" of cruise lines.:cool: We know that's all blah-blah-blah. I'm not saying this to bash...it's coming from a good place....I'm saying it to say try, experience, and see for yourself. "One man's garbage is another man's treasure". Jamaica and the Bahamas is not all so bad. If safety s your concern Carnival would have pulled out like they are doing with their Mexico stop.:(

Plan out your activities and go on that adventure:D Happy Cruising!:D

I know what you are saying, but in the case of Jamaica especially I have read mostly negative reviews of that port. I have also talked to people that have done land vacations there and were dissatisfied with it compared to other islands. If one or two people say something negative about a cruise line, ship, or port I tend to ignore it. I love St. Marten and St. Kitts, but I'm sure there are people who hate them. I don't want to take a chance on a disappointing port because this is my ds's first cruise and I want it to be an enjoyable experience.

The Triumph out of Galveston does 5 day cruises with stops in Progresso and Cozumel.
Yes it does! I have done that 5 day cruise in the past on Ecstasy, (LOVED IT!) and i'm doing the exact same ports In May on Triumph. Super excited to go back. To Cozumel, especially!!!

In the last year we have been to Nassau on a ship 3 times. That being said, I would still go again on my next cruise. I really enjoy Nassau. I like getting off the ship, going to the straw market, and then going to Junkanoo Beach.

I would not go by what others have stated about Nassau. I personally enjoy it when we go there.

OP, have you ever been to the Bahamas? If not, then you shouldn't rule it out so quickly. I think a big part of why the Bahamas gets a bad rep is because so many cruises go there that people get burnt out on the Bahamas.

We've been to Nassau twice now (and the only repeated port we've had in eight taken or planned cruises), and while it's not necessarily my favorite stop, I wouldn't rule out a cruise just because that's one of the itineraries. I don't think I'd want to go there year after year, though. You just need to do your research before you go so that you know what to do once you get there. Once you've gone there enough, you may start getting burnt out on it yourself. Though we currently don't have a trip planned there right now, I do know what we'll probably do the next time we go there.

My DD booked a cruise during Spring Break with 3 of her girlfriends. She got an awesome deal this close to sailaway. That's a great cruise for 5 day and you get Grand Cayman, which is gorgeous.

I had been to many islands in the Caribbean and Bahamas but not until in 2009 did I made my first cruise stop in Ocho Rios Jamaica. I too was leery of the place as I had read many bad reports and opinions of it here on CC and from people I know. Yet I am the kind of person who when I visit a new place, have to give it at least a quick tour.

I took a ship's excursion to a plantation and dolphin cove, and am so glad that I did. I saw some awesome scenery, but lots of poverty too. The locals I encountered were polite and friendly, and yes some pushy vendors at the shopping area near the ship, but bottom line, I am so glad I did not stay on the ship. I suggest you try a ship sponsored excursion or one through a reputable tour operator there (check out the port of call board for recs).

As for the Bahamas, I have been there three times, always flew there and spent a week or so there at a hotel or resort, and I loved it. However this was over 10 years ago. I always liked Nassau, but I really dont know how it is now. Ill find out later this year when I go there on my cruise, but will I stay on the ship? no way. Again, I suggest taking a tour, either through the ship or a reputable tour operator, again, you will find lots of info on the port of call board.

Whichever you decide to do, have fun, and have a great cruise.:)

No doubt, anyone who has visited Jamaica and Nassua will have both good and bad stories. You just have to keep in mind that a lot of the locals on these islands are very poor, and some can be rather rude/pushy at times to get your money. Last year in Jamaica, I went on a snorkeling excursion with my family. We rode a bus from the pier to the site where the boat was for snorkeling. Upon exiting the bus, a few locals were trying to sell souveniers. Two even asked if I wanted to buy some "smoke". After the snorkeling, we had an hour to shop. As we walked to Margaritaville, I was again asked if I wanted to buy drugs. The best advice is to just keep walking and ignore these folks. they will quickly turn their attention to the next group of visitors.

I have never had an unpleasant experience in Nassua, as we usually go over to paradise island, or stay close by the ship. The best advice I can offer for any of these islands is to stay together with your group, do your homework before you get their, and have a plan for the places you will visit. While there are always a few unpleasant incidents that happen, keep in mind that the vast majority of cruisers have a great time. But, just like the news, you never hear about the 99% of good times ... but always hear the 1% of bad times.

Archived