Those pesky non Carnival Cruisers

MissKIA

My Dad decided to book a last minute cruise last week and I convinced him he should try the Carnival Breeze since it looks awesome. He has only cruised Princess before but agreed that the Breeze looks nice so he booked it.

So we're sitting at work today in our office and he tells his friend about his upcoming trip on Carnival. His friend says "Oh, I didn't know you were into partying now."

... :rolleyes:

Of course he has never cruise Carnival either.

I just hope my Dad likes it now that I have lambasted his friend for his comment. LOL

My DH and I are 60 somethings, regular church attenders, don't drink, don't gamble, and LOVE Carnival. We've also cruised with 5 other cruiselines, and like them very much. But we LOVE Carnival.:)

We fit your demographic as well and while I like other cruiselines I still enjoy Carnival. After all it was on the Carnival Mardi Gras more than 25 years a go I feel in love with crusing. I will say that as far as Carnival goes I have only been one one cruise that I would consider a "party cruise". It was a 3 day cruise from Miami. Never again with the short cruise. I had a party cruise on RCCL before but do not equate that line with being a "party ship" either.

My DH and I are 60 somethings, regular church attenders, don't drink, don't gamble, and LOVE Carnival. We've also cruised with 5 other cruiselines, and like them very much. But we LOVE Carnival.:)

Carnival is noted for it's party atmosphere - hence it's called "The Fun Ships" . But I have seen all ages on board. From kids to a guy that had to be 90 years old asleep in his hover-round out by the aft pool on the Valor. His wife was enjoying a burger. Doubt he passed out from all the partying, but you never know! LOL!

We have only been on Carnival and Celebrity. They are very different, but I like each one for what they are. When we want quiet, we go on Celebrity. When we just want to let our hair down and have a screaming good time, it's Carnival. I'm sure he will have a blast. A cruise is all what you make it!

My Dad decided to book a last minute cruise last week and I convinced him he should try the Carnival Breeze since it looks awesome. He has only cruised Princess before but agreed that the Breeze looks nice so he booked it.

So we're sitting at work today in our office and he tells his friend about his upcoming trip on Carnival. His friend says "Oh, I didn't know you were into partying now."

I just hope my Dad likes it now that I have lambasted his friend for his comment. LOL

And you care why on what another person thinks about Carnival?

And you care why on what another person thinks about Carnival?

I don't "care". I'm pointing out that he has a preconceived notion of what Carnival is like considering he has never sailed with them. I think everyone else who has posted here has understood that...

i've only cruised RCI and Carnival. i like Carnival much better because its a more laid back, and less pretentious atmosphere. when i went on the Oasis most people dressed to the nines for dinner every night, not just formal night. dressing up every night is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

Lets face it, Carnival earned a reputation and in some cases its true.

Last November I was in Grand Turk on the Ruby Princess and the Carnival Valor was there as well. It was plain as day who was from what ship. The Valor was extremely loud as you could hear their DJ on the island. Lots of yelling and howling coming from the ship when it sailed away as well. Oh there was definitely partying going on and you could tell from shore. I am not saying thats a bad thing, I am sure it was fun. Its just that yes, the party image was on full display.

I cruised Carnival in April 2011 and it was pretty tame, definitely not like the Valor I witnessed but it depends on when you go I guess.

I don't "care". I'm pointing out that he has a preconceived notion of what Carnival is like considering he has never sailed with them. I think everyone else who has posted here has understood that...

I was on a ship full of non Carnival cruisers and pulling up to and being on the island of Grand Turk with them, I can bet you most of them came away with the notion that Carnival is the party boat.

It was loud, it was active and to any onlooker, they would think it was a big party. Nothing wrong with that. It is what it is. Hearing a really loud DJ cranking booty music and yelling and howling crowds do tend to create a party image or atmosphere. A few dudes with white tank top (wife beater) shirts, saggin pants with nasty boxers showing and rubbing up and down on their girlfriends legs does in fact create an image that folks will remember.

That's a great example of " beware of what you ask for" . Carnival grew rich by changing the industry from serving only the stuffy rich to a mass appeal industry by it Fun Ships partying image. Now as the cruising demographic is aging it has to fight it's well crafted image that's in the consumers mind.

Maybe Carnival should retroactively fire its old advertising firm.

That's a great example of " beware of what you ask for" . Carnival grew rich by changing the industry from serving only the stuffy rich to a mass appeal industry by it Fun Ships partying image. Now as the cruising demographic is aging it has to fight it's well crafted image that's in the consumers mind.

Maybe Carnival should retroactively fire its old advertising firm.

Carnival is hands down the cheapest balcony cabins you can find. There are a lot of seniors, heck young people too, that may "brave" carnival's party reputation if they can get a balcony cabin for 499 pp for a week.

On my last princess cruise there was one couple beneath me that literally never left there room. Every time I went outside they were sure to be out on their balcony. For people like that the "scene" on a ship doesn't matter. All that matters is how cheap the balcony can be got for.

I suspect that as air continues to get more expensive you'll see more and more people choosing to go on the most cost effective cruises regardless of what demographics the cruise line supposedly caters to.

I don't know where the rumors come from but I've heard them too. We have only sailed NCL to date, and have booked our first Carnival cruise for this August. Our daughter has sailed Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival and LOVES Carnival well above the other two. She and her husband are in their early 30's and would know a "party ship" when they saw one and both have said their experiences weren't anything like the "rumors" describe. They had lots of fun and never saw anything over the top or out of control.

We are REALLY excited about our upcoming cruise after hearing and reading about all the positive reviews about Carnival.

I have never been on a Celebrity cruise, but based on what I've heard other people say, I get the impression it's almost like being in a nursing home at sea. Is that any more or less of a fair assessment than referring to Carnival as a "party boat"? It's easy for someone to draw false conclusions about a particular cruise line, based solely on heresay, and not on first-hand experience. If I had never been on a cruise before, and was trying to decide on which cruise line to choose, based solely on heresay and a certain amount of false information, I would pick the "party boat" over the "floating nursing home", and I'm 60. JMHO.:cool:

Holland America (which we love, btw) was party central compared to our last Carnival cruise. It was our 11th cruise (6th with Carnival) and it was the only cruise we've ever been bored on. It didn't help that they canceled three port days and they didn't have anything to do on board to with the new sea days to make up for it. We couldn't wait to get off and get back on the plane for the endless flight back to New York. Don't just take my word for it; read any of the reviews of the October 25 Mediterranean Cruise from Barcelona on the Carnival Breeze to get an idea of it

Archived