Flying into Ft Lauderdale-whats the latest time to fly in

mompella

What is the latest time on a cruise day you would fly into Ft Lauderdale? Can decide whether to fly in the day before or the day of the cruise. We are hoping to go on the Carnival Breeze May 5th. I can't find any info on what time you are supposed to get on the ship and what is the latest time to get on the ship. Thanks for any advice. What is the best transportation to use between the airport and cruise ship?

IMHO-the day before. Of course, the time is dependent on many things including how far you have to fly. Airport to cruise ship in FLL is easy. Taxi is quick but a bit more. Cruise line transfer is OK but I don't like to wait around to load a bus. If you go the day before, many accommodations have transfers from the airport to the hotel and to the cruise port the next day. If I flew in the day of the cruise, I would take a taxi.

I agree, fly in the day before. We used to fly the day of departure before 9/11, but since then we always arrive early - you just never know and I'd rather have a nice relaxing nights sleep and leisurely morning before I board. Take a cab - the cruise terminal is very close to the airport and most hotels.

We always fly in the day before, lot less stress that way. If you are taking the Breeze, you are departing in Miami and flying into Ft. Lauderdale so the transportation will obviously be longer then flying into Miami. We are doing this in July and are thinking of staying the night before in Ft. Lauderdale and either getting a shuttle back to the airport for Carnival transfer or arranging for a private car.

The OP is flying into FLL and cruising from POM. A taxi would be expensive from FLL to POM.

It would be better to arrive in Florida the day before your cruise but if you cannot do that and fly in the day of take the earliest flight you can from your home airport and shoot for a morning arrival time. The ride from FLL to POM is about 40 minutes depending on traffic.

We always fly in the day before, lot less stress that way. If you are taking the Breeze, you are departing in Miami and flying into Ft. Lauderdale so the transportation will obviously be longer then flying into Miami. We are doing this in July and are thinking of staying the night before in Ft. Lauderdale and either getting a shuttle back to the airport for Carnival transfer or arranging for a private car.

I don't see any advantage to taking the Carnival transfer. Have you considered one of the shuttle services? Most PAX use SAS or QLS at $15pp from FLL to POM.

If you're flying into Fort Lauderdale and cruising out of Miami, you definitely should fly in the day before.

Can you fly into Miami for about the same price, considering you will have to pay for a shuttle or a taxi to get to Miami from FLL? Also consider that your time and convenience are worth something when comparing prices.

But...I would fly in the day before regardless of which airport you choose, especially with a connection and coming from a long way away. Do yourself a favor and enjoy an evening in Florida the day before your cruise. :)

I agree with the above poster to see about flying into Miami instead of Fort Lauderdale. Taxi will be about $80 to get you from Fort Lauderdale airport to Port of Miami. Shuttle will be minimum of $40 per person (roughly, don't flame me if I am wrong). If the price difference in airfare is less than $30 per person to fly into Miami, you would still come out ahead. Most Miami airport hotels offer a free shuttle to the port. If not, there is a flat rate from the airport area to the port, and it's a lot less than $80.

No matter which airport you choose, definitely fly in the day before. I once almost missed a cruise because there was a problem with our connecting flight. Took off an hour late. Yes, we made it to the ship on time, but we stressed out the whole time hoping we would make it. Not a good way to start your vacation.

Since we live 4 hrs. from the airport we stay overnight and leave the car there (motel) and fly in the same day. We usually wind up with a connecting flight and IMO 12:30 is about as late as you'd want to fly in.We've done this over 20 times and have always made it. That will leave over 2 hours to get to the pier. NOW bad weather is another matter. If that happens (and May is a fairly safe time but who knows) you won't be alone and I've been on ships that waited up to 4 hours for late pax. Of course that depends on port schedules and how many people are affected. About flying in the day before, If there is a weather problem that day and flights get cancelled you'll be flying stand by but those booked that day will have a seat. I realize my opinion is in the minority but the airports are filled with people flying in the same day. Last thing, check with the cruise line for an air fare where they guarantee you'll make/catch up with the ship, they are suprisingly competitive.

Most Miami cruises depart about 5:00, but you need to be checked in about 90 minutes prior to departure due to DHS requirements, so about 3:00-3:30 is the absolute latest to arrive at POM.

I agree with all of the above -- arrive the day before. You don't want a missed connection or a delayed or cancelled flight to cause you to miss the ship! :eek: Hotels near FLL are generally cheaper than comparable hotels in Miami and Miami Beach. SAS, QLS and Go Airport Shuttle offer shared shuttle service from the FLL area to POM with fares starting at about $15 per person -- they can also transport you back to FLL after your cruise. Good luck! :)

I have cruised from Mia arriving in FLL more than once. An arrival time of 11 is fine, unless you have airport delays. You can use SAS transportation for 15pp each way. We have done that. We also used a limo service when 6 of us girls cruised together. We divided up the cost and it was just a couple bucks more a person than using SAS. it is about a 40 minute drive to the port. But if you us SAS, they may have to stop and pick up others.

Thanks for the reply. Will be flying in from Des Moines, Iowa. No direct flights and wouldn't get in until 11 at the earliest. Sounds like that isn't a good idea on the day of!

Think about like this. You're sitting on your plane all ready for your cruise. You know the plane arrives at 11am and you'll grab a cab and be at the port by 12:30 after you get your luggage. No problems at all. Sure they have to clear their manifesto 90 minutes before the ship leaves but heck that means 3:30. That's 3 hours to play with. You're good to go.

Then you get a message that there seems to be some issues with the plane and you're going to be delayed while they check it out. An hour later you still don't know what's going on and they take everyone off the plane and will let you know shortly what's going on. Now your window to get to the ship is 2 hours. You start to sweat a bit. You're watching the clock, tapping your fingers on the chair, biting your lower lip. You go up to the desk and explain that you have a cruise to get to and you're told that they're doing their best but they can't fly until they know its safe. An hour later the plane is cleared. You hustle on to the plane, you have one hour window left. The plane is delayed more while you wait in line to take off but you get into the air. You ask the stewardess when will the plane arrive and she says they'll get there as soon as they can but there's storms over Florida. Luckily your plane arrives at 3:00. You have 30 minutes to get to the port. You wait for your luggage but it comes out last of course. It's 3:15PM. You have 15 minutes. You grab a cab and tell him you need to hurry but traffic is awful today. Seems there's an accident on the 95 and everything is backed up. The Cab driver doesn't know if there's another way to get to the port. 3:30 arrives and you're still in the cab. The cab finally arrives at 3:55. You run into the terminal - your ship is still there! Yippe! Then you're told the awful news that the ship manifesto was given to homeland security 25 minutes ago and you are not allowed to board. You stand on the port and watch your ship sail. How was your first day of your cruise?

Sound far fetched? Think again. I've been on these boards for years and have heard stories like this numerous times. We got caught up in a storm one year. Luckily we flew in 2 days early. I remember telling the cab driver how to get to downtown Miami because there was a tie up on the I95. HE didn't know how to get around it. Had I been coming in with 15 or 20 minutes to spare, I probably would have strangled him.

Do yourself a favour. Fly in the day before and have a nice relaxing first day of your cruise.

What is the latest time on a cruise day you would fly into Ft Lauderdale? Can decide whether to fly in the day before or the day of the cruise. We are hoping to go on the Carnival Breeze May 5th. I can't find any info on what time you are supposed to get on the ship and what is the latest time to get on the ship. Thanks for any advice. What is the best transportation to use between the airport and cruise ship?

As others have said fly in the day before. On our last cruise in May, there were multiple issues with the plane. First the plane that was suppose to take us to FLL was delayed, then they had us change boarding areas 3 times while in Atlanta so we were running to catch our flights, then we were delayed for quit a while due to engine issues. There were also numerous passengers that were on the same flight for cruises out of Miami that day and I dare say they missed the ship as it was 3pm (suppose to arrive at 10am) when we landed and they still had to get their luggage and then transportation to the port of Miami. My husband looked at me and said "So I guess this is why we fly in the day before" and boy! were we glad we did.

Fly in the day before for peace of mind and a relaxing embarkation.

I have flown in twice the day of...will only do this when there is no chance of snow, and the ship is located near the airport where I'm flying into. Still, I realized I was taking a chance because any airplane could have a mechanical problem or thunderstorms, etc.

I was lucky those two occasions. My cruise (in two weeks) I am flying in the day before. Flying into FLL and cruising out of Miami.

The OP is flying into FLL and cruising from POM. A taxi would be expensive from FLL to POM.

It would be better to arrive in Florida the day before your cruise but if you cannot do that and fly in the day of take the earliest flight you can from your home airport and shoot for a morning arrival time. The ride from FLL to POM is about 40 minutes depending on traffic.

Oops, didn't catch that - sorry about the taxi advice. If you have to fly into FLL, I would still go in the day before and then rent a one way car and stay somewhere closer to MIA. That way, you could see some sights and have the freedom to go to dinner where ever you want. Agree with other's though, once you factor in all the extra costs, it might be cheaper to simply fly into MIA.

Instead of flying into FLL the day of our POM cruise, we opted for a later arriving flt the eve before. We will not have a rental car, so were very selective in finding a hotel that offered decent reviews, a free airport shuttle and a store and restaurants within walking distance. We booked the Sleep Inn & Suites FLL airport for only $89 with our AAA discount. It includes a free hot breakfast as well. There is a 24 hr Walgreens next door and a Publix grocery store in the shopping Plaza across the street. The plaza also has 3 restaurants to choose from.

We then booked QLS shutte to the POM and then back to FLL after the cruise. QLS has a 9am pick-up for FLL as opposed to some others that don't start pick-up until much later.

Here is the hotel link. It looks like the eve prior to your cruise is still offering a good rate. If you have AAA or another form of discount you can save a little more.

http://www.sleepinn.com/hotel-dania-florida-FL664

Good luck....... I would spend the extra $90 bucks and fly in the eve before. JMHO.

:)

We have cruised 3 times out of FLL. We always fly in 2 days early where ever we cruise from, starts the vacation early. As we are in Minnesota and cruise in January there is always a chance of flight "delays". Although we have never experienced any serious ones it's always a concern and not the way I would want to start my vacation.

Archived