Pre-cruise hotel night discontinued?

Pepc

I was looking over the new brochure for the 2014 cruises that open later this week. I noticed that the pre-cruise hotel night was listed with ** next to it. The website shows the same ** next to the items that are "included" in the price.

I called Regent to see what the ** referred to. Evidentally, the pre-cruise hotel room is only for concierge level rooms and above!

What happened to the rest of us?

This is a deal breaker!

"Landingsduffer" reports on entry below about 2014 brochure that Regent told him (or her) the pre-cruise hotel IS included but higher categories get a better hotel or floor.

I hope this is accurate and I wish they made that clear in the brochure!

According to forevertravel's recent post, "According to my TA only Concierge category will receive the free night precruise hotel stay."

It does appear there is some conflicting information.

Until proven otherwise by Regent, I am going to assume their brochure to be correct, in which there is no mention of an included precruise hotel night - luxury or otherwise - for non-concierge suites.

It seems that the free night pre-cruise rules change during 2014. This is from the UK website:

Terms and Conditions / Ticket Contracts

**Beginning with the following voyages, the FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Package is only available for Concierge Suites and Higher: Seven Seas Voyager 2 June 2014; Seven Seas Mariner 7 April 2014 and Seven Seas Navigator 21 May 2014. FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Package is not combinable with FREE Pre-Cruise Land Program or £299 Pre-Cruise Land Program. All itineraries and maps are subject to change and pricing is per person based on double occupancy. For complete information on terms and conditions, itinerary, liability of Regent Seven Seas Cruises, Inc. (RSSC), health and travel documents, liability limits, etc., please contact your travel professional or call Regent Seven Seas Cruises at 023 8068 2280 for more information. Click here to read our full Terms and Conditions, click here to view the Ticket Contract.

** Beginning with the following voyages, the FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Package is only available for Concierge Suites and Higher: Seven Seas Voyager June 2, 2014; Seven Seas Mariner April 7, 2014 and Seven Seas Navigator May 21, 2014. FREE 1-Night Pre-Cruise Luxury Hotel Package is not combinable with FREE Pre-Cruise Land Program or $499 Pre-Cruise Land Program.

Seems its true... Above copied off the U.S. Regent website.

The issue previously raised by landingsduffer is s/he was told by TA that the pre cruise hotel was included - just not a "luxury" hotel as for concierge plus.

Until this is confirmed by a Regent authority, I'm dubious.

The issue previously raised by landingsduffer is s/he was told by TA that the pre cruise hotel was included - just not a "luxury" hotel as for concierge plus.

Until this is confirmed by a Regent authority, I'm dubious.

Well my direct quote was copied directly off the Regent website seems it is absolutely true....concierge cabins only! Don't know what more you need....

Read it for yourself on the Regent website under "Terms and Conditions" I "copied and pasted" the info!

Thank you, Nana541, for the info!

You confirmed it for me in writing.

This is not a good thing for customers, like myself, that book category G and F.

Prices keep going up and the "included" items and available cabins continue to dwindle!

Thank you, Nana541, for the info!

You confirmed it for me in writing.

This is not a good thing for customers, like myself, that book category G and F.

Prices keep going up and the "included" items and available cabins continue to dwindle!

Oh I get it! There are a lot of us in the same boat. Still love Regent and hope I can afford to sail with them a time or two in the future.

Not sure why there are two or three threads on the same subject. As I mentioned on another thread, this is not unexpected and, IMO, should not be a deal breaker for anyone. When excursions and hotels were added during the downturn of the economy, some of us wondered how long it would last. Hopefully Regent will hold the prices on the categories affected by this change -- it does seem only fair.

Well my direct quote was copied directly off the Regent website seems it is absolutely true....concierge cabins only! Don't know what more you need....

Read it for yourself on the Regent website under "Terms and Conditions" I "copied and pasted" the info!

nana541,

I fear you did not read my post carefully. Your multiple exclamatories are unnecessary.

I do not doubt the validity of your post / information. As it is on the RSSC website and is concordant with what is in the aforementioned published brochure, it in fact reinforces my assertion of the fact of this matter.

There is another poster who received conflicting information from his/her TA. It is that conflicting information for which I would "need more" to believe it.

Not sure why there are two or three threads on the same subject. As I mentioned on another thread, this is not unexpected and, IMO, should not be a deal breaker for anyone. When excursions and hotels were added during the downturn of the economy, some of us wondered how long it would last. Hopefully Regent will hold the prices on the categories affected by this change -- it does seem only fair.

Presumably because posters want there to be multiple threads and none have yet died.

I think it is helpful to point out to others on this board policy changes when a new brochure is published or a new policy is posted on the RSSC website. Cruise Critic is about sharing information in addition to sharing opinions.

I also don't see any of this as a deal breaker.

It is just a price increase in another form for the non-concierge cabins. Not only are there fewer non-concierge cabins available (by reclassification) but now if you book one, you lose the hotel night and included transfers or the commensurate credit. This is the same concept as the act of reducing the air credit is an effective price increase for those who routinely take the credit.

As an aside, while the hotel in and of itself was uncommonly a great value relative to the credit, in some cities the transfers made the deal an economical / convenient choice. Reducing the credit may change that proposition for some folks and drive more to participate in the hotel program which of course increases Regent's volume purchasing power and reduces the company's cost.

As far as expectedness or lack thereof, it is great that Regent can fill the ships at current pricing with current amenities. The challenge will be to keep the experience commensurate with the pricing, i.e. the value proposition.

For those new to the line (seemingly a large portion of recent marketing efforts), the price / value will likely be relatively easy to meet. The harder part will be keeping prior and regular Regent cruisers satisfied. - For example, as noted on the Silversea board, it is not necessarily that long termers are unhappy with the line relative to what is otherwise out there in the luxury segment but rather some are unhappy with the line relative to "what once was". I have noted the same rumblings on this board over the years as well. It is all cyclical. How fortunate we are to have options to explore regardless of our final choice.

eta -

in regard to my comment - For those new to the line (seemingly a large portion of recent marketing efforts), the price / value will likely be relatively easy to meet. -

I do not mean this as "classist" or snobbery.

I rather am reflecting on my own experience that a luxury cruise is just so very different from a mass market cruise (even if one sails in suites on those lines) and was 'impressive' and 'special' - all those experience intangibles we discuss on this board.

My TA says hotel is still included.

RachelG,

I have confidence in your particular TA's information. Would be reassured to see it from Regent however.

One question - which is a "just wondering" scenario - Did you receive comment whether the non-concierge cabins could still elect a credit instead of the included hotel and if so has that changed from prior?

I am thinking there is still a hotel credit for non use. Have not specifically inquired, but will find out for sure on the 13th as we have picked a cruise to book and will take the credit if there is one

Thanks. Please report back if you think of it with specifics.

nana541,

I fear you did not read my post carefully. Your multiple exclamatories are unnecessary.

I do not doubt the validity of your post / information. As it is on the RSSC website and is concordant with what is in the aforementioned published brochure, it in fact reinforces my assertion of the fact of this matter.

There is another poster who received conflicting information from his/her TA. It is that conflicting information for which I would "need more" to believe it.

Well ok in the future I will use no ??!!.. What so ever if that would be helpful, or better yet guess ill just stop posting and that should solve that

Nana, pls continue to post--we enjoy you infectious enthusiasm.

Don't know about the included hotel or not for H/G suites in 2014 but do note the Free post cruise/pre cruise can be had now for $499pp.

I wonder how many Radisson/Regent past cruisers haven't gone back because of the escalating costs. We had three cruises, one after the other, until the prices got out of sight for us. One of the biggest problems we had with cost was the elimination of shorter cruises and the unafordability (for us) of a combined rate increase along with a minimum of 10-14 nights. Our last cruise was on HA and Oosterdam was much too large for our taste. The first week we said "never again" but, by the second week, we had decided HAL wasn't THAT much worse if we took a smaller ship. We have a cruise coming up on HAL Maasdam (Canada/NE) which is much closer in size to Regent and hope we like it better. Why are we mostly satisfied, though not thrilled, with HAL? Even though we don't have a balcony, price drops have brought a seven night cruise down to $659 pp. That's almost exactly 10 percent of the cost of the similar 10-day cruise on Navigator (not our favorite ship) and leaves us thousands to spend on shore excursions, booze, restaurants, tips, etc. and still save 50%. Our airfare to Boston is $89 and we'll get cheap hotels at Priceline. We are on a wait list for Crystal to try them and might consider Oceana. Do we love Regent? Yes. Are we willing to trade 10 days on Regent every few years for being able to cruise once or twice every year? No.

This sums it up for us too. We like Oceania; We like Princess too. Fares are 66% less for a suite the same size as a Regent Suite. While we love luxury and less crowds, we will slum it some of the time to stretch our travel dollars. We just don't like paying for things that we won't use.

Except for Concierge and higher suites, it looks like the $999. business air upgrades to Europe are gone too. It really is getting very very expensive to cruise with Regent.

Mike,

I may be reading too much into your message but you seem to be implying that discounted business class air upgrades will not be available for all suites in categories lower than Concierge Suites. Looking at the new 2014 European cruises on the website, it appears that, as in the past, business class air upgrades will be included in the cruise fare for Penthouse Suites and higher. All other suites have access to business class upgrades. Most European business class upgrades are now $1299 except for cruises that begin and end in Copenhagen, Stockholm, Oslo or Amsterdam, where the upgrade price is $999.

Archived