Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I am amazed with the level of speculation here given that almost no details have been given yet on the technical aspect of this incident. Some people point at the propulsion problems the ship was having for some time and immediately say... AHA!!! There you have it... they neglected the problems the ship was having. Ships like this are hugely complex machines. We still don't know if yesterday's fire is even remotely connected with the propulsion problems. Yes, the ship was left without propulsion but if one generator blows up and takes down the ship electrical system with it then you are dead in the water even if the actual propulsion systems are perfectly fine. We still don't know what exactly happened. Engine room tells me generator problem given that these ships propulsion systems are all electric. Of course, a propulsion motor could be the source as well but lets wait until they investigate the problem and report back.

I'm sad because we're scheduled to sail on Triumph on the 25th .. (two weeks) .. and strongly suspect that won't be happening. Have spent the morning looking at vacation options ... or trying to decide if hubby should just cancel his vacation time and rebook for the fall .. decisions .. decisions.. The (minor) frustration is that I can't do anything 'til I officially know it's a "no go" .. (well I could .. but that would be silly..) Would much prefer the cruise..

We are also scheduled on the Feb 25 cruise. I started looking at other options, fearing we won't be doing the cruise. It's hard to find anything that will give you the bang for your buck that a cruise does. This is a hard time of year for me to get away, so we will probably just forget it for now.

I do really feel for the folks that our out there dead in the water. I'm sure this isn't the cruise experience that they were expecting!

If you pay $65 a day maybe you live the blessed life. I think you might need better friends and family

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does that mean? One of my dogs is older and needs to walk more than a few times a day--including the middle of the night several times a week. I wouldn't ask a friend or family to deal with that, which is why I hire a licensed, insured professional who "lives in" while I'm gone.

I never said I didn't live a blessed life, I count my blessings daily.

Really?

A person saves their money and takes a vacation every five years.

That vacation is ruined through no fault of their own.

They are told they can take a "make up" vacation but it must happen within a set period of time, one, perhaps two years.

They can't afford to take another "unpaid" vacation in that time frame.

Get it?

How much do you think he has to save ? They were just reimbursed prolly 2 or 3 thousand

Get it ?

When Carnival Triumph arrive port? Guest have still inboard?

Late Wednesday into Progreso they are saying.

"

Update on Shipboard Services

The ship has maintained emergency generator power since the fire occurred and the technical team on board has been successful in gradually restoring auxiliary power to operate some basic hotel functions. Currently, public and cabin toilets are operational in certain sections of the ship, power has been restored to a limited number of elevators, and some power in the Lido dining area is providing for hot coffee and limited hot food service. Guests have been supplied with food and refreshments throughout yesterday and this morning and the ship has supplies on board to last until the vessel returns to port."

So the ship was never fully without power, toilets are operational in some sections. Some elevators are functioning. Even hot coffee and some hot food is available.

Secondary note - from a legal standpoint.

IF (and it is a big IF) it is determined that the cause of this incident is functionally similar to the Splendor fire and (Another big) IF it is shown Carnival was aware of a defect contributing to it, Carnival can be in a big pile of legal jeopardy by failing to resolve a known hazard. The same could be true if the propulsion issues are related to this issue (not a given) and that this outcome was foreseeable (hard bar to hit).

IF (yet another big IF) this was a new problem that could not be foreseen or the result of an undiagnosed systemic fault, Carnival may be in better shape.

The basic legal issues in play are 'Could this incident have been reasonably foreseen, and/or did Carnival policies or cost reduction programs promote the occurrance of the incident'.

We won't know any of this for a long time, perhaps years (I haven't looked hard, but I have yet to see a final defined cause on the Splendor fire). The legal issues will be complex, made more so by multiple jurisdictions and the onerous terms of the cruise contract.

They can do it all in two days with three planes and three round trips a day assuming they start with fresh crews. If they can get additional crews for those planes (tricky on short notice), it could be done in a 24 hour period. If they use two, it will take three days. Might be cheaper for Carnival in the long run just to charter three planes if they can get them.

I don't see how they could turn a plane three times and keep the crew legal, and I 'm not seeing the ability to scrounge up that many tandem crews.

I'd also like to know how many available hotel rooms there are in that area--I tend to doubt enough to go around.

I feel for parents of small tots. If there out of diapers and supplies for babies i can only imagine.....

There is a ship coming with supplies. As long as people make the cruiseline aware of their need, I am sure the they will do their best to get people basic necesities like formula and diapers.

IF (and it is a big IF) it is determined that the cause of this incident is functionally similar to the Splendor fire and (Another big) IF it is shown Carnival was aware of a defect contributing to it, Carnival can be in a big pile of legal jeopardy by failing to resolve a known hazard. The same could be true if the propulsion issues are related to this issue (not a given) and that this outcome was foreseeable (hard bar to hit).

Fincantieri would be liable in this case as well. Both ships are similar in design and if there was any contributing factor in their design then there is the same risk in quite a few Carnival and Costa ships built by Fincantieri since Carnival Destiny and I would not be surprised that other Carnival Corp ships from the other lines also built by Fincantieri could be at risk too.

On HAL it depends on the ship. The two newer ships will give you a younger crowd. We are young and we sail HAL.

That was precisely my point, every ship is different. That is why we tried Carnival again and why platinum Princess cruisers weren't impressed with the cruise we were on either. I will never stick with a certain cruise line. I look for the itinerary I want, the time I want and the price I want. Just because the Carnival line is cheaper does not mean it is under par. It does not mean that all Carnival cruises are booze barges or that all Holland America are geriatric cruises. Every cruise is different.

How much do you think he has to save ? They were just reimbursed prolly 2 or 3 thousand

Get it ?

Nope. The average fare on that cruise is under $400. There are additional costs not being covered. He would still be out a week of work. Your math is wrong.

We are also scheduled on the Feb 25 cruise. I started looking at other options, fearing we won't be doing the cruise. It's hard to find anything that will give you the bang for your buck that a cruise does. This is a hard time of year for me to get away, so we will probably just forget it for now.

I do really feel for the folks that our out there dead in the water. I'm sure this isn't the cruise experience that they were expecting!

I know .. can't imagine what it would be like out there.. :( Guess hubby, son and I will have a pow wow this evening to decide what to do.. Everyone's aware of the situation .. so I'll just try to get options together. And yes - even looking at other cruises is tough because we drive to Galveston .. so now I'm having to consider cost of airfare too ... hmmm maybe just a few days down at South Padre .. laugh ..

Also true. Depending on how the contracts are written, it will be interesting to see in this case if Fincantieri could be shown to have direct or indirect liability.

And of course that raises the issue of their being any fixes Fincantieri may have suggested and whether they were performed (as an example, if a car manufacturer advises you of a recall, and you don't do it, and that causes an accident, the manufacturer is insulated to some extent by the offer to make good prior to the accident)

Fincantieri would be liable in this case as well. Both ships are similar in design and if there was any contributing factor in their design then there is the same risk in quite a few Carnival and Costa ships built by Fincantieri since Carnival Destiny and I would not be surprised that other Carnival Corp ships from the other lines also built by Fincantieri could be at risk too.

From google maps, it is located about halfway down the Yucatan Peninsula.

It is approximated 250 miles west of Cancun as a drive and about 1000 miles driving to Mexico city, 1900 miles bus to the US border.

Google maps shows about 8-10 hotels in town.

where is the port of progreso located?

I sure hope these issues are not common.....

I'm on my first crusie in November on the Liberty, and I'm solo. The last thing I need is an emergency!

well being solo, you just need to care for yourself. No young children who will be frightened, need changes of diapers, constant feeding etc.

as a solo adult, you only pack for yourself, will have your meds and documents within arms reach and will only need to worry about food and drink for yourself.

If the worst case happens, you only need to secure 1 spot in the lifeboat, and one spot to sit in the atrium, one plate of food...you get the idea..

Of course this is assuming you are able bodied, and if you are not then maybe a scenario like what is currently happening on the Triumph may cause you to ask and pay for a companion to join you.

Just making an honest observation, no insult intended.:)

I don't see how they could turn a plane three times and keep the crew legal, and I 'm not seeing the ability to scrounge up that many tandem crews.

I'd also like to know how many available hotel rooms there are in that area--I tend to doubt enough to go around.

Assuming the crews arrive in Merida the night before, not sure if some of the differences in international flights and crew arrangements might allow it. It could be possible to get the third flight from Merida started if there are no delays in the air on the first day. Having trouble seeing any scenario less than three days unless three planes are used, though.

Nope. The average fare on that cruise is under $400. There are additional costs not being covered. He would still be out a week of work. Your math is wrong.

Lol, I think the math is wrong, but I'm using you're math from a previous post you said he spent $2000 before even stepping on the ship. Take away $1000 for his wages, that leaves $1000. Plus the cost of the cruise now.

I am amazed with the level of speculation here given that almost no details have been given yet on the technical aspect of this incident. Some people point at the propulsion problems the ship was having for some time and immediately say... AHA!!! There you have it... they neglected the problems the ship was having. Ships like this are hugely complex machines. We still don't know if yesterday's fire is even remotely connected with the propulsion problems. Yes, the ship was left without propulsion but if one generator blows up and takes down the ship electrical system with it then you are dead in the water even if the actual propulsion systems are perfectly fine. We still don't know what exactly happened. Engine room tells me generator problem given that these ships propulsion systems are all electric. Of course, a propulsion motor could be the source as well but lets wait until they investigate the problem and report back.

Apparently some people here aren't speculating but feel they know everything there is to know about all the issues Carnival and the passengers are and will be dealing with.

Heaven forbid we actually get the full story before making a decision.

I read that Carnival is chartering planes to fly from Progreso to Houston (not sure which airport). I wonder if passengers without passports, but just their birth certificates and driver's license, can fly home on a charter? This is one reason most of us say cruise passengers should have passports.

I feel for parents of small tots. If there out of diapers and supplies for babies i can only imagine.....

we got caught up in Hurricaine Frances on our first ever family cruise....delayed about 4 days...from then on....extra underware, sanitary items, etc.....

From google maps, it is located about halfway down the Yucatan Peninsula.

It is approximated 250 miles west of Cancun as a drive and about 1000 miles driving to Mexico city, 1900 miles bus to the US border.

Google maps shows about 8-10 hotels in town.

Absolutely no way will a bus trip be attempted. Carnival is not going to take that safety risk. Imagine the news reports if one of those buses gets hijacked.

Archived