Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Sorry, I'm too lazy to wade through almost 90 pages of comments, but I'd like to say that I hope that Carnival takes as much time as necessary to fully repair the Triumph and not just put a bandaid on it. I also hope the crew gets all of that time off with pay. They deserve it. They are having to work under these horrible conditions and not just hang around in the public areas of the ship. As for anyone suing, that is just ridiculous. Carnival seems to be very generous in their compensation of the passengers. I just wish they would maintain the ships better. These propulsion problems seem to be creeping up. Are the engines overworked under those conditions? Is that what is causing engine fires? I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but it seems to me that more regularly scheduled maintenance would be cheaper in the long run than having this type of situation occur. And it only hurts business that the name Carnival keeps cropping up in the news for disasterous situations like this. Who's going to remember the stories about the brand new ships? But many people will remember that another Carnival ship had a problem and passengers were stuck without food, water, toilets, etc.

I don't feel like reading all of the posts on here to see if this was already posted.

Carnival Triumph is being towed to Mobile, Alabama instead of Mexico. A second tug boat is either arrived or will arrive shortly to help. The ship should arrive in Mobile Thursday morning. From there all of the passengers with vehicles in Galveston will be flown to Houston and then bused to Galveston. The passengers that didn't drive or flew they will be flown back to their home airport. That is what Carnival was trying to get done last night. Might change today.

Everyone still has food and water but the lines are very long and taking hours to get. Will be very glad when my wife gets home.

Will post more if I hear anything from Carnival or my wife. She has not said anything about anyone fighting over food, bathrooms or tents.

we have no way of knowing if second hand reports are valid, or even truthful. and, not to sound insensitive, a second by second, minute by minute account of what is happening onboard would be of what service to family members not on the ship?

the facts are pretty simple and no amount of embellishment will change them: the triumph is dead in the water due to a fire on board. electrical power in the way of auxiliary power is miniscule at best and is probably being used for essential services like emergency lighting and communication equipment for the bridge. non-perishable food is available and is being replenished by other ships. (having lived through a major power outage this ends up being fruits, raw vegetables, bread products, water, peanut butter, crackers, processed cheese). passengers and crew with major health problems are being seen to and evacuated by air-lift if necessary. sanitation is an issue and people are being asked to abide by certain restrictions (though many won't lower their sensibilities and will cause problems to non-working systems). the boat is either being prepared for tugging into mobile or is underway. its probably a 200+ mile trek at 3 or 4 miles per hour, hence 50 hours.

now, what kind of updates should be coming from the ship and passed on to emergency contacts? it isn't like they can hand a phone to someone's loved one to ensure that they are hunky-dorey (which they probably aren't).

What I suggested was someone on the front lines of this company who is trained in crisis management. Someone who can give truthful facts and yes if family wants to call every hour they should be encouraged to do so. The texts coming from passengers do not vary much at all. I trust what they are saying. I am merely echoing what family members are saying on this board and that is they are getting a watered down interpretation of what is really going on. Does it change what is really happening? Of course not, but they are in essence stranded at sea and family members deserve constant communication. I am trained in triage and when you are the lifeline (Carnival) to your loved ones, you had better be available and receptive 24-7.

That's such a sad mindset. There are so many wonders in this world to explore, I can't imagine being satisfied on your deathbed thinking that the most exciting place you'd ever traveled to was Carlos & Charlies.

Last time I checked the US was a vast and exciting country. Lots to see and do without even leaving the continental US. Could easily take an entire lifetime to experience this country! I've been around the globe and some of the best things I have seen and done have been right here in the US.

Sorry but is a very elitist attitude to think that the US isn't just as exciting as other places in the world. You don't have to leave these borders to have a very exciting and fulfilling life. Just because it isn't your idea of a good life doesn't mean that many others haven't learned to appreciate all that the US truly offers!!! I feel sad for those that think all the US has to offer is Carlos & Charlies (whatever that is :confused: )

We are to sail on the Feb 25th cruise but I doubt that will happen. Tried to cancel and switch to the magic cruise the same week but it was already sold out :( But they did tell me that we could cancel our cruise with no penalties or cancellation fees. We decided to hang on and see what happens but are planning on a trip to San Antonio because we know it will probably be canceled. We have to do our trip that week because time off work already being taken and family flying in just to watch our children. We were really looking forward to a cruise :(

There's a Royal Caribbean cruise on Mariner of the Seas leaving from Galveston on the 24th, but it is 7 days rather than 5. The cruise line's web page seems to indicate there are no cabins, but at least one other source shows cabins available in every category. Might be worth checking with your TA.

So Carnival did not know the ship would drift in open seas without power?

That's ridiculous and points to the incompetence of the crew and the people back in Miami.

Modern technology could have forecast exactly where the ship would be after 24 hours... 48 hours.

Is Carnival this incompetent or was it a plan all along to go back to Alabama, which would save the company $$$$

I feel sorry for the passengers without a passport, but weren't they warned this is the very reason to GET ONE in the first place? We have always had them for everybody in the family just for this very purpose when cruisng, although air flight was not involved. Same as always, those that don't live by the rules will be the ones yelling most to have them broken FOR THEM.

Carnival needs to make this a cruis requirement, to protect idiots from themselves, as this DOES happen.

The "rules" allow a waiver of the passport requirement. It does not require a breaking of the rules. These kind of situations are exactly why the Department of State has some flexibility.

What I suggested was someone on the front lines of this company who is trained in crisis management. Someone who can give truthful facts and yes if family wants to call every hour they should be encouraged to do so. The texts coming from passengers do not vary much at all. I trust what they are saying. I am merely echoing what family members are saying on this board and that is they are getting a watered down interpretation of what is really going on. Does it change what is really happening? Of course not, but they are in essence stranded at sea and family members deserve constant communication. I am trained in triage and when you are the lifeline (Carnival) to your loved ones, you had better be available and receptive 24-7.

Agreed. There doesn't seem to be a crisis management team acting on behalf of the passengers and their families like you'd find after an air disaster. The only crisis team seems to be the one behind closed doors protecting the companies bottom line.

I keep hearing about how Carnival is sending a team of engineers, etc to the ship. It's all about the ship. If they actually cared about their passengers, they would announce that they will have an extensive emergency management team waiting for the passengers at the port and that they will be immediately bused to the hotel rooms that have been secured for everyone so people can bathe, they have made arrangements to have clean clothing available (sweats or scrubs would work) to those who request it, and they have already booked return flights for people, etc. Additionally someone on a C-level in hotel operations or guest services should be present when that ship docks to personally manage the whole thing.

Sorry, I'm too lazy to wade through almost 90 pages of comments, but I'd like to say that I hope that Carnival takes as much time as necessary to fully repair the Triumph and not just put a bandaid on it. I also hope the crew gets all of that time off with pay. They deserve it. They are having to work under these horrible conditions and not just hang around in the public areas of the ship. As for anyone suing, that is just ridiculous. Carnival seems to be very generous in their compensation of the passengers. I just wish they would maintain the ships better. These propulsion problems seem to be creeping up. Are the engines overworked under those conditions? Is that what is causing engine fires? I'm not mechanically inclined at all, but it seems to me that more regularly scheduled maintenance would be cheaper in the long run than having this type of situation occur. And it only hurts business that the name Carnival keeps cropping up in the news for disasterous situations like this. Who's going to remember the stories about the brand new ships? But many people will remember that another Carnival ship had a problem and passengers were stuck without food, water, toilets, etc.

RCCL's Allure of the Seas had an engine fire last April and I doubt all but a handful of people remember that.....

this will pass just like ALL the incidents on Cruise Ships do and travelers will concentrate on the 99.999% of the cruises that go off without any mechanical issues.....

So Carnival did not know the ship would drift in open seas without power?

That's ridiculous and points to the incompetence of the crew and the people back in Miami.

Modern technology could have forecast exactly where the ship would be after 24 hours... 48 hours.

Is Carnival this incompetent or was it a plan all along to go back to Alabama, which would save the company $$$$

This was my immediate reaction to the news.

Agreed. There doesn't seem to be a crisis management team acting on behalf of the passengers and their families like you'd find after an air disaster. The only crisis team seems to be the one behind closed doors protecting the companies bottom line.

I keep hearing about how Carnival is sending a team of engineers, etc to the ship. It's all about the ship. If they actually cared about their passengers, they would announce that they will have an extensive emergency management team waiting for the passengers at the port and that they will be immediately bused to the hotel rooms that have been secured for everyone so people can bathe, they have made arrangements to have clean clothing available (sweats or scrubs would work) to those who request it, and they have already booked return flights for people, etc. Additionally someone on a C-level in hotel operations or guest services should be present when that ship docks to personally manage the whole thing.

Since Carnival did all of that and more for their passengers and crew when the Splendor had its fire....

common sense dictates the same will happen here....

then what will people have to complain about???? hummmmm

The CG, a competent law enforcement authority, is on scene and if this was true, they would intervene and take action. I'm certain there are short tempers and plenty of arguments on board, but "acting like savages" is a gross exaggeration.

You are correct. The CG has not boarded the ship. They did assist with some transfer of supplies, but they have not been on board.

The CG can only board the ship with the Captains permission. It is still in internatrional waters.

rccl's allure of the seas had an engine fire last april and i doubt all but a handful of people remember that.....

This will pass just like all the incidents on cruise ships do and travelers will concentrate on the 99.999% of the cruises that go off without any mechanical issues.....

like!

Last time I checked the US was a vast and exciting country. Lots to see and do without even leaving the continental US. Could easily take an entire lifetime to experience this country! I've been around the globe and some of the best things I have seen and done have been right here in the US.

Sorry but is a very elitist attitude to think that the US isn't just as exciting as other places in the world. You don't have to leave these borders to have a very exciting and fulfilling life. Just because it isn't your idea of a good life doesn't mean that many others haven't learned to appreciate all that the US truly offers!!! I feel sad for those that think all the US has to offer is Carlos & Charlies (whatever that is :confused: )

I've already seem the United States--many times over--same thing with most of Canada which I've driven across three times. Carlos and Charlies is a bar in one of the Caribbean ports, or maybe a few of them, I don't know, never been there. I don't cruise to go to tourist traps.

I'm not saying people shouldn't also see the United States, but it's very provincial to think that it's borders are the end of the world.

RCCL's Allure of the Seas had an engine fire last April and I doubt all but a handful of people remember that.....

this will pass just like ALL the incidents on Cruise Ships do and travelers will concentrate on the 99.999% of the cruises that go off without any mechanical issues.....

I don't remember the Allure fire. Did it leave 1000s of pax stranded at sea for days under the conditions the Triumph pax are dealing with now?

Hope you hear from her soon.

I don't feel like reading all of the posts on here to see if this was already posted.

Carnival Triumph is being towed to Mobile, Alabama instead of Mexico. A second tug boat is either arrived or will arrive shortly to help. The ship should arrive in Mobile Thursday morning. From there all of the passengers with vehicles in Galveston will be flown to Houston and then bused to Galveston. The passengers that didn't drive or flew they will be flown back to their home airport. That is what Carnival was trying to get done last night. Might change today.

Everyone still has food and water but the lines are very long and taking hours to get. Will be very glad when my wife gets home.

Will post more if I hear anything from Carnival or my wife. She has not said anything about anyone fighting over food, bathrooms or tents.

Since Carnival did all of that and more for their passengers and crew when the Splendor had its fire....

common sense dictates the same will happen here....

then what will people have to complain about???? hummmmm

My point is that team should already be in place and be giving frequent and factual updates to the families, not once a day messages that seem to be at least to a degree inaccurate.

I don't remember the Allure fire. Did it leave 1000s of pax stranded at sea for days under the conditions the Triumph pax are dealing with now?

Not even close. The Allure was able to limp back into port on it's own about 36 hours later.

I've already seem the United States--many times over--same thing with most of Canada which I've driven across three times. Carlos and Charlies is a bar in one of the Caribbean ports, or maybe a few of them, I don't know, never been there. I don't cruise to go to tourist traps.

I'm not saying people shouldn't also see the United States, but it's very provincial to think that it's borders are the end of the world.

To see the United States, Canada etc. must have been at supersonic speed:eek:

No. The AOS fire, like most minor fires that occur on ships, cannot be compared to an incident of this magnitude.

I pray for everyone on the Triumph that they can be patient. As far as we know they are safe, they do have food, they have some facilities and a place to sleep. I am glad it is not raining so they can be on deck. I am glad it is not in the middle of August where the temperture would be unbearable. This is not what they planned on, but they are being compensated well. I do wish they had some sort of emergency line where loved ones could call home and assure their families of their safety

I immediately thought of an air disaster too. Just because no one died doesn't mean there aren't many many domino effect scenarios to deal with. And that involves contact with family members, medical ramifications, anxiety, transportation, all of which come before the repair of the ship. For those of you who think I am just a random comlainer, I am a VIFP member and almost always cruise Carnival. This really has me thinking about what I have taken for granted and shouldn't have. I want to know if it ever happens to me, that my family will know every minute what is happening and that they can call 10 times a day if they want to and talk to a knowledgeable crisis management team.

Archived