Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

One of the interesting reports I heard this morning is that the fire suppression system did put out the fire quickly and that the damage is not that bad. But because the fire suppression system is now empty, they cannot restart the engines or the main generator because there would be no method to kill a 2nd fire if one would start.

Helicopters can land on the ship, making transfer perfectly safe. People could be lowered from the ship in the life boats and then transferred to the ferry while tied up alongside. Given my option of maybe falling and having to get fished out of the drink and staying on a raw sewage infested ship, I'd be donning my life vest and heading for the tender.

Bungee cords connecting to the other cruise ship alongside could be used like a zipline to transfer passengers. Carnival might even be able to charge for this like an excursion. They would just need to start the liquor flowing again and pax would be all over it. Totally feasible and safe. :D

Within the last 30 months TWO Carnival ships have had fires in the engine room that knocked the ships power out and left passengers stranded.

That, my CC friends, is a pattern.

Not an act of God, and not a "oh shucks, that stuff happens sometimes."

Helicopters can land on the ship, making transfer perfectly safe. People could be lowered from the ship in the life boats and then transferred to the ferry while tied up alongside. Given my option of maybe falling and having to get fished out of the drink and staying on a raw sewage infested ship, I'd be donning my life vest and heading for the tender.

A helicopter is not going to land on that ship. The ship is not under the captain's control, he is not going to put his ship or the helicopter in jeopardy by allowing a helicopter to land.

As far as transferring passengers, you just don't get it. It is safer for all, to stay on the ship since at this time, the ship is not in danger of sinking. Yes, the conditions are not ideal, but everyone is safer where they are right now.

Between the news on TV and the thread here, I have been reading and listening to everything.

I feel so sorry for all the passengers and crew going through this.

And now another day on the ship as she heads to Mobile.

Not only should Carnival require everyone to have a passport, I believe that all cruise lines should require all passengers have passports no make how long the cruise is or whether it is a closed loop cruise. JMO

As long as they're not required, there's no reason to buy it.

And certainly the last thing these people are thinking about right now. They'll all be happy to kiss the ground when they can,regardless of their status or documentation.

I wonder why Carnival has not cancelled another ship's voyage and go to the Triumph and transfer the passengers to it and get those poor passengers home. There is a precedent with Titanic/Carpathia. There would have been better press towards Carnival if they would have done that.

The "precedent" cited is nowhere near such. Titanic was nowhere in site when Carpathia arrived.

Moving passengers between ships in open waters is a dangerous operation that would take hours to complete. If luggage was also transfered, even more hours would be eaten up. It's doubtful any meaningful amount of time would be saved. It's certain that an additional 3,000 people would have had their vacation ruined.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/02/12/travel/cruise-ship-fire/index.html?hpt=hp_c1

Sewage in hallways and running down the walls, people vomiting. Who was it that said a day on any cruise ship is better than a day at work, even this ship?

See the media is lurking on cruisecritic and quoting some posters on here too.

I remember posting this on another thread, but, people insisted otherwise:mad:

There is an endless number of exerts that know much more than the people that are (or were) actually there. Regardless of what they insist on, there was no problems with the ships engines when they left Galveston.

Doug

Within the last 30 months TWO Carnival ships have had fires in the engine room that knocked the ships power out and left passengers stranded.

What are they going to do to prevent this from happening again?

They need to publicly address this as people will be reluctant to book any cruises with them.

Due to press releases by Carnival Corp, their insurance carrier, and the reinsurance companies after the Concordia disaster, we know that they are well insured for any number of perils.

Perhaps when the Triumph was jailed last year, they should have let them keep it.

this is much more than "Stuff Happens"! A bar server that spills a drink on me is stuff that happens. I trip over my own feet, is stuff that happens. A cruise ship that has a fire and loses power is much more than suff happens. All I can say is " Thank God I am not on that vessel>

I know right!! And I think that most mechanical problems CAN be avoided with proper design, inspection, maintenance, operation and part replacement. But if there is a failure in any of those areas, eventually there will be a failure in the equipment. And that is not just "stuff happens".

Free CRUISE plus FREE FUTURE cruise, plus all traveling expenses reimbursed, plus a STORY for the AGES. Suck it up for a few days, everyone is going to be just fine. To be honest, put me on that ship, I wouldn't mind the adventure. I dont think SAFETY is an issue at all. People are making a big deal out of nothing. The PAX are getting compensated nicely. So, you sleep in tents on the deck. There is no buffet, or unlimited ice cream for a few days. My golly, only 3 square meals. Heaven forbid. Send me on that ship, I'll take that compensation package any day for what the PAX are going through.

Bungee cords connecting to the other cruise ship alongside could be used like a zipline to transfer passengers. Carnival might even be able to charge for this like an excursion. They would just need to start the liquor flowing again and pax would be all over it. Totally feasible and safe. :D

Don't give them any ideas.

A helicopter is not going to land on that ship. The ship is not under the captain's control, he is not going to put his ship or the helicopter in jeopardy by allowing a helicopter to land.

As far as transferring passengers, you just don't get it. It is safer for all, to stay on the ship since at this time, the ship is not in danger of sinking. Yes, the conditions are not ideal, but everyone is safer where they are right now.

Then perhaps they should be getting provisions from helicopters so people can have a decent meal. Bring hard boiled eggs, lunch meat, fried chicken--protein instead of the reported cucumber and onion on a slice of bread.

I could not see such a passenger transfer at sea being safe. Are you going to make the transfer by lifeboat? Think how long and chaotic that transfer would be. Trying to get luggage transferred also. I'm not sure it would save a lot of time. It would probably lead to some significant injuries and not to mention another whole ship of passengers pissed off because their vacation is now ruined. If there would be a significant time savings, it might make sense but I don't think it would save more than about 12 hours. If the ship were much further from shore, it would make a lot more sense. It probably made more sense to do it with Splendor, which had zero power, than it does Triumph.

I'm going to wait for people to get back to port and give first hand accounts of what is going on before I judge what is going on. Plus, one persons hell is another persons minor inconvenience as can be seen in the drastic difference between reviews of the same ship on the same cruise. There are always some drama llamas. What really happened will come out in the stories when everyone is back home.

I think they could have had everyone pack their luggage, pick 1 bag per person to take with them and do a transfer to another ship, for the ride back to port. that way everyone is off the water, and safe.

It could have happened if they had delayed the magic sailing 1 day, and put those people in hotels for the night, the cost of their rooms and food would have been less than all the extra fees they are going to have now.

They could have used tender boats that they can tie to the side of the ship for the transfer.

We were on the Paradise in 2003 and they transfered a sick passenger from the ship to a tender boat, while moving, with his family and their luggage 4 people one on a gearny and this all happened in about 3 minutes, without stopping, at midnight near Cozomel.

So, yes they could tie off for the transfer, and get everyone off in a few hours, then return home,

The point of getting everyone off would be to avoid sickness, on a normal cruise they warn of germs and getting sick, what about now when the filters and water are not working, I would be afraid to touch anything, and I am not a germafoe, All they need now is a little case of Norvo from the warming food, and lack of cleanleness.

One question, they have all the guests staying up on the open decks area, where are the crew hanging out, up there also, or in the crew area cooking from the heat?

Someone mentioned the ancor a few pages back, it was not dropped to keep them stopped, probably because they would have no way to get it back up (remember little power)

Free CRUISE plus FREE FUTURE cruise, plus all traveling expenses reimbursed, plus a STORY for the AGES. Suck it up for a few days, everyone is going to be just fine. To be honest, put me on that ship, I wouldn't mind the adventure. I dont think SAFETY is an issue at all. People are making a big deal out of nothing. The PAX are getting compensated nicely. So, you sleep in tents on the deck. There is no buffet, or unlimited ice cream for a few days. My golly, only 3 square meals. Heaven forbid. Send me on that ship, I'll take that compensation package any day for what the PAX are going through.

Tell that to the people pooping in buckets. :eek:

Hmmmm, 2 incindents in 30 months and thousands of cruises worldwide that had no problems...

I just saw on The Today Show, part of the reason the decision was made to tow the ship to Mobile instead of Mexico was it will be easier to get the 900 passengers without passports home. You know the 2200 passengers with passports are upset with the 900 that didn't have them. They have to endure one more day on an disabled ship with deteriorating conditions.

Besides finding that hard to believe, did they even attempt to state a source of that statement?

They need to publicly address this as people will be reluctant to book any cruises with them.

Awesome, then the rates will go down in Galveston and I can afford to do more than 1 cruise every 2 years. Works for me. :rolleyes: I seriously doubt most sane people with common sense will be reluctant to book a cruise with Carnival after this. But hey, it you're right, then it works out well for me with that economics 101 supply and demand.

900 people on the ship don't have them and that is part of the reason that they are not disembarking in mexico. Adding more days on the ship.

The principal reason the ship headed to Mobile are the sea conditions. According to a Carnival statement Triumph would have had to go against the prevailing currents had it been towed to Progreso.

Given that the currently reported tow speed is 6 knots with the current, it seems reasonable to conclude that heading to Progreso would have taken much longer than the original estimate.

LOL! (*spitting coffee on 'puter*) :p

Anyone find a reliable site that shows where the ship currently is? The site I checked yesterday had her docked -- in Galveston -- 1.35 hrs away from sailing (with Monday's cruise) very reliable :rolleyes:

The Triumph has not been reporting position through AIS since early yesterday. The AIS system is what most tracking information online uses. One can only assume this is to save electricity for other vital onboard services, since the Coast Guard is within eye sight I can see them doing this. When a ship hasn't reported in awhile sometimes the system will spit out old data.

I completely agree. They seem to be in "circle the wagons" mode instead of making public statements that will reassure their customers and stockholders. I suspect that RCCL might benefit from this if CCL doesn't start doing some significant damage control. The silence is only making matters worse.

Perhaps when the Triumph was jailed last year, they should have let them keep it.

The thought had crossed my mind...

Or just adjust the waterslide. Wheeeeee!

And you don't think they'd take your passports as well? I'm confused here.

By the way, there are safe areas of Phoenix. Gary, IN--now there's a city that I'd agree, there are no safe parts of.

I had a feeling that would end up confusing instead of clarifying. The passports were hidden in our truck--not in the luggage, glove box or console, but hidden--and our truck was locked up tight in a very secure building while we were there. Our wallets, with our driver's licenses were on our persons, so at risk to a robbery.

I wasn't asking that sarcastically, and will make note of Gary for any future visit. ;) After this last trip to Phoenix, I told hubby that I really would like to stay in a safer part of the city, if there is one. I also insisted that on any future visits we meet family somewhere away from their neighborhood, because I refuse to again stare into the barrel of a sideways-pointed gun. No one was hurt and we weren't robbed, thankfully.

I know I've gone off-topic again, but would really appreciate any tips for safer parts of the city.

Archived