Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

I think you are being overly optimistic about the cluster that will be disembarkation and how long it will take them to get people home.

I see it as $500 for four days.

Why are you assuming that everyone is from that area? I don't know a single person in LA or TX who doesn't make at least a six figure income. I know one from each state who make seven figure incomes. (one is a commercial real estate developer and the other is a filmmaker)

I think Carnival is creating a PR nightmare by not steeping up to the plate and really making this right for people instead of slapping a one-size-fits-all Band-Aid on it.

Let's hypothetically say you flew in from another state and got a balcony room... Let's say with taxes, tips, and fees it came to $550 a person. Plus airfare of $200 a person round trip... You would be getting a check from CCL for $2500 for 2 people and missing 4 days of work. That's the equivalent of $162,500 a year for 2 people... So that may not cover everyone completely, but it should go a decent way to covering lost wages.

WW2 ended in 1945, don't think many survivors will be on a Carnival ship.

Don't kid yourself. I a 69, was born in 1943 and was raised by parents having been in that war. Coming home for the next several years was far from easy, no housing, lack of jobs, shortages. We learned from them to be frugal and thankful for what we had . These values last a lifetime. And yes,:D:D we cruise every year and are GRATEFUl for being able to do so.

I think they are actually being pretty fair on all of this.

That is $500 per passenger, not per cabin.

So people are getting a full refund, a free future cruise, and an additional $1000 for your trouble, plus they are covering your transportation.

I am looking at it as getting 3 free cruises for the cost of a few really bad days.

Of course my perspective could be a little off since I have an 18mo old in the house, so piles of poop and rivers of urine are normal.

Don't forget they already got the cruise they planned on going on, the fire happened on Sunday, on the back to Galvastan to get off the ship,

of the original cruise the only thing they lost was the last sea day, and then were stuck on the ship for extra days of hell?

They got to do every thing they wanted to do on the vacation in the port it was going to.

Then because of the problem, got all the money back, another free vacation, extra money, free airfare home, get to collect refunds possibly from their own airfare or to use it again later if reschedualable, free meals in the hotel Thursday night and friday morning, free transportation to the airport(s)

and a story to tell for the rest of their life.

The Associated Press

HOUSTON — Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled a dozen more planned voyages aboard the Triumph and acknowledged that the crippled ship had been plagued by other mechanical problems in the weeks before an engine-room fire left it powerless in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/energy/conditions-on-disabled-cruise-ship-in-dispute/nWND6/

This is sad.

[Why are you assuming that everyone is from that area? I don't know a single person in LA or TX who doesn't make at least a six figure income. I know one from each state who make seven figure incomes. (one is a commercial real estate developer and the other is a filmmaker)

That is right, most of the people on CC are all billionairs, that is why they shop on CC for better rates and discounts, and then tip the crew 20 per day extra for doing nothing, and more if they actually do things

Let's hypothetically say you flew in from another state and got a balcony room... Let's say with taxes, tips, and fees it came to $550 a person. Plus airfare of $200 a person round trip... You would be getting a check from CCL for $2500 for 2 people and missing 4 days of work. That's the equivalent of $162,500 a year for 2 people... So that may not cover everyone completely, but it should go a decent way to covering lost wages.

The refund for the cruise is because they didn't deliver a cruise, they delivered a floating cesspool. It should not be counted towards lost wages. Same thing with airfare.

It also doesn't cover an extra four days of pet care, airport parking, etc.

They need to make people whole. They need to refund the full cruise price including taxes, port fees and insurance, plus ALL travel expenses, plus ALL auxiliary costs, plus ALL lost wages. Then they need to give people something for their troubles that doesn't require them to spend money on another cruise to hell.

One area that passengers on the Splendor had it "better" was that their fire occurred early in their 7 night cruise, so everyone probably had clean clothes for the week....

They also had it better because the Reagan aircraft carrier group was training off of California at the time, and diverted to the Splendor. Supplies were dropped by helicopter.

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2010/11/photos-uss-ronald-reagan-sails-to-aid-of-disabled-carnival-splendor/130539/1

The initial decision was for the Splendor to be towed to Ensenada, but that was later changed to San Diego.

Dauphin Island is only a few miles off the Alabama coast. It will be a 30 mile +/- run up the Mobile ship channel, but if they are truly just off Dauphin Island, then cell service is assured. Now if they are 50 miles off (south of) Dauphin Island, then that is another story and no cell service. About 80 miles to the terminal. So once again, confusion.

I know this as I have a place on the beach there. Also fly over it some in my plane.

I'm sure he's got some nice swanky suite at the nicest hotel in Mobile rather than 2.5 hours away by motorcoach.

More likely he will fly in just before the ship arrives, and then fly out after the passengers are debarked and safely on their way. Maybe time for a meeting with the ships engineering and bridge officers.

Executives with these responsibilities do not have time to stay in hotels and then waste a morning waiting for the ship to come up the channel.

I would like to see Mr Arison there too. He needs to get some skin in the game. Then put out a memo to all of the cruiseline CEOs to get their ships checked out so passengers don't have to go through what these folks have. What is the use of redundant generators if they all have to go through the same switch board? Mr Arison then needs to fly to Fincantieri and get some action on correcting the power schemes so that the "Hotel" can be powered by any of the generators without the main board. Passengers at a minimum require food (refrigeration), water, ventilation and sanitary. The current emergency generator scheme is a joke.

The new builds of all the CCL big ships are off the same hull form and generator scheme.

Just watched a " dvr ed" show from fox news this afternoon

On the show they had two ladies on. They both had children on the ship , one was with her ex the other lady did not elaborate who her child was with

Both stated they spoke to thier children , both stated thier children were crying , hot, hungry ( eating onion Sammy's )

When the host asked about the compensation ccl was giving

One rolled her eyes the other stated it wasn't going to them

And they were stressed

Interesting

So much to catch up on since I last looked at this thread at 6am.

Alls I can say is wow!

Now I have some new questions.

1. I wonder how it would be determined how people exit the ship. "Women and children first", or elderly, or families, or those in suites:mad:.

2. How will families find one another that are arriving to meet the ship.

3. What if I am on the ship and want a flight back to Galveston, and my DH is at the port with car waiting for me...........How will I find him.

4. Will those tents on shore with medical personal have showers to help me freshen up.

5. Will their be police protection to help avert a mass riot.

6. When and how will customs be inforced.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sea Ya

The Associated Press

HOUSTON — Carnival Cruise Lines has canceled a dozen more planned voyages aboard the Triumph and acknowledged that the crippled ship had been plagued by other mechanical problems in the weeks before an engine-room fire left it powerless in the Gulf of Mexico.

http://www.ajc.com/ap/ap/energy/conditions-on-disabled-cruise-ship-in-dispute/nWND6/

This is sad.

Just read through the link. TY for posting it.

I Agree. It is sad. This is why so many, upon initially hearing of the problems, responded with a "Shame on You, Carnival, me first, actually," but no one knows for sure yet.

I had seen a post indicating that CCL stated that the replaced alternator was not the cause of the fire. I did not see this in any report or hear it. But, if it was said, I'm not sure how they could actually say it, as I can't imagine that they would know this yet (prior "testing" of the alternator after it was repaired notwithstanding). But as I understand it, both the propulsion system and alternator were repaired.

The propulsion system had been troubled for some time. Only the investigation will reveal if it was the cause, but it is a fact that overheated engines and propulsion systems can and do cause fires. Whether they actually were the cause of this one remains to be seen.

Thx again for the link.

Originally Posted by kennaree

I can't speak for the triumph passengers but what you can't believe is probably true. I was on the splendor for its engine room fire... The toilets were out of order for only a day and there was definitely nasty seepage coming out into the hallways from under the walls of some cabins. That was only one day, I don't even want to know what it looks like for them. Plus the public restroom were indeed overflowing nastiness I only made that mistake once. At least the triumph people were provided bags to go in... We weren't. The people whose cabins were in the aft never got working toilets.

You don't think people ate onion sandwiches? I bet thy did. Here's the thing, the staff made trays of sandwiches and put them out... For the line that took an hour plus to get to the front. Other people just picked everything out of other sandwiches and put it on theirs to make it bigger. I had lettuce and tomato sandwich one night because everything else had been taken out before me. Not a big deal, but just saying that an onion sandwich is feasible. People were taking more than they needed and didn't hesitate to touch all the other food to pick out what they wanted.

And I can attest to the tons of people sleeping on deck and in the dining room or the big comfy chairs in the public areas. If you don't think this is possible... It is.. The interior cabins are brutal without air conditioning regardless of being on a lower deck or not. It was the weirdest thing walking down the hallway with everyone's door propped open.

Even after all that I would have never considered suing. They took care of us the best they could. And the staff worked soo hard even knowing all their prepaid tips were being refunded to the passengers.

I did however take the free cruise but it was more than a year before I had enough time off to take a real vacation again. That being said I do not agree with the haters saying they would do it because its better than being at work. Hell no, easy for you to say sitting at your computer. I would take a trouble free vacation over having to worry about food and a working toilet any day...

I wish all the triumph passengers safe return, a hot meal and a hot shower!!! (end of quote)

Wow, that CANNOT be. They'll be taking the crews tips?!??! :eek: After they've been cleaning sh*t for days? Seriously? That is despicable. Maybe Carnival's CEO and high management need to shovel some sh*t for days and forfeit some of their million dollar bonuses.

I think they are actually being pretty fair on all of this.

That is $500 per passenger, not per cabin.

So people are getting a full refund, a free future cruise, and an additional $1000 for your trouble, plus they are covering your transportation.

I am looking at it as getting 3 free cruises for the cost of a few really bad days.

Of course my perspective could be a little off since I have an 18mo old in the house, so piles of poop and rivers of urine are normal.

Ive got a new puppy...does that count...lol!

So much to catch up on since I last looked at this thread at 6am.

Alls I can say is wow!

Now I have some new questions.

1. I wonder how it would be determined how people exit the ship. "Women and children first", or elderly, or families, or those in suites:mad:.

2. How will families find one another that are arriving to meet the ship.

3. What if I am on the ship and want a flight back to Galveston, and my DH is at the port with car waiting for me...........How will I find him.

4. Will those tents on shore with medical personal have showers to help me freshen up.

5. Will their be police protection to help avert a mass riot.

6. When and how will customs be inforced.

Anyone have any ideas?

Sea Ya

At least this is one cruise where I doubt anyone has any desire to stay onboard until "last call"! ;)

Tom

Don't forget they already got the cruise they planned on going on, the fire happened on Sunday, on the back to Galvastan to get off the ship,

of the original cruise the only thing they lost was the last sea day, and then were stuck on the ship for extra days of hell?

They got to do every thing they wanted to do on the vacation in the port it was going to.

Then because of the problem, got all the money back, another free vacation, extra money, free airfare home, get to collect refunds possibly from their own airfare or to use it again later if reschedualable, free meals in the hotel Thursday night and friday morning, free transportation to the airport(s)

and a story to tell for the rest of their life.

No kidding Waldo! Those ungrateful passengers should be paying Carnival and reimbursing them for all the needless bad publicity they are causing!

(THIS IS SARCASM!)

Archived