Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

CNN just posted a title on their webpage calling it a "floating petri dish". Interesting title!

So much of the reporting on this has been just terrible. Responsible reporting would make it clear that the reports are from Monday (I don't think CNN's article does this) and also present the facts as reported by Carnival.

I expect things are pretty bad onboard, but asking some doctor for a quote and then running with it as a headline seems like supermarket tabloid level journalism.

The one thing you DON'T want is the government getting involved in anything other than national defense. Prices REALLY will increase for those that can pay, those that can't/won't pay will get a free cruise, and the overall cruise product will decrease to a level never seen before. I have hope the free market will take care of everything....

If they don't address the problems that relate to the health and safety of cruisers (and they have a proven track record of said problems) then the government needs to get involved. Unfortunately you can't fix stupid, and some people would chase a dollar bill into traffic on a freeway.

I was just thinking if he (CEO ) did or will do what the CEO of Azamara did last year when Azamara had a onboard fire (I think it was a fire, on Azamara Quest). If I recall the CEO of Azamara flew to Asia to be there when the ship got to port.

Even if it's for show, it would be great PR. And nothing says they're not planning to. At best, I'm hoping UG is there. He actually looked like he was going to cry in that last news conference.

They should keep Funship Freddy in hiding.

Is that really true??? I dont think so!!!!

JH's post about Guys Burgers was before all of this happened. Again, inaccurate reporting!!

Actually, it's very accurate. I think JH does some wonderful things for the industry, but the Guy's Burger post as well as some other "diversion" posts have been on his FB page as recently as yesterday. Those topics have fallen off the first page, but if you scroll down, you'll be able to read the burger post at 10:20 p.m. (John's time zone) on Tuesday.

So much of the reporting on this has been just terrible. Responsible reporting would make it clear that the reports are from Monday (I don't think CNN's article does this) and also present the facts as reported by Carnival.

I expect things are pretty bad onboard, but asking some doctor for a quote and then running with it as a headline seems like supermarket tabloid level journalism.

This is the world in which we live now. It is pretty sad.

Good mornig Cruise Critic Computer Cruisers ......Happy Valentines day to all the ladies!!

Watching the local Mobile news.......They are being brutal towards Carnival for the decision to bus the pax to New Orleans. Its obivious Mobile still feels pissed that Carnival pulled out of Mobile. The mayor is trying to be nice but you gotta wonder what he really wants to say.

They have intervied a few famililies that have driven over from TX. Ther loved ones on the ship dont know there there.......hope they dont get on a bus!

News is reporting it will take 8 hours to get up Mobile channel to the port. Seems feesible, the channel is 20miles from the south entrance by Dauphin Island/Fort Morgan. Of course the same newsbabe reported a 800foot tanker as a barge........

glad the ship is only listing to 45deg.....at 46deg the waletale falls off!!

The ship still is NOT in sight from Dauphin Island. There talking mabey 6-7 pm...

fire up the coffee pots and lets bring the old girl in!!

billd

Mobile is still ticked that Carnival pulled out without warning. I'm surprised they are being as nice as they are.

obviously you haven't ever left a door open in your home with the air conditioning going full blast. a little knowledge of HVAC systems would be invaluable knowledge.

I have and the house stays cool other than maybe a five foot radius around the open door.

things i've learned from this thread:

even though carnival is offering a complete refund plus some nice incentives people are so money hungry they should sue anyway. personally a bird in this hand would be better than splitting with a lawyer a bit of dough in the future.

carnival is lying and the mayor of mobile, who is protecting his turf, is the voice of truth. the internet is our friend Mr. Mayor and we can see for ourselves the limited number of hotels which i am sure are already booked by family, press, and regular folks. i don't think i'd want to spend time at the local roadside motel.

many family members, upset that their loved one obviously didn't put them down as an emergency contact, feel carnival should be treating them like they are on the ship and giving them minute by minute updates anyhow.

the overnight position of the ship was chosen exactly for the reason it is out of cell range. wonder how much money it cost for someone to make sure it is parked in the position that has no bars for a myriad of carriers.

the ship is obviously crawling with sick and injured folks breathlessly waiting for the medical professionals waiting at the dock, obviously they wouldn't be there if the entire ship wasn't inundated with sick, starving, and pts passengers.

the ship is now reported to be listing at 45 degrees which means that all the furniture is on one side of the ship and everyone is on top of one another. my understanding is that a 24 degree list can cause a ship to capsize so i can't figure out how the boat is still upright.

oh and the best is that everyone in texas makes over a hundred grand a year so they should be compensated for missing 5 days of work to the tune of a minimum of $2k on top of all the other refunds. and that all of the kids on board who have now missed some school are going to be expelled and have their lives ruined.

i'm sure i've missed a bunch but this has been a pretty long thread with lots of wonderful pertinent and truthful information flowing.

Written by someone with access to a toilet,food, a bed, and not breathing the stench of human waste. Some of these type comments are cheerleading, of course, which is a most puzzling phenomena to watch. Walk a mile in the shoes of those whose problems you so casually dismiss. What can there be about loyalty to a corporation that moves you to value it more than people? This thread is really a study in human nature.

I certainly hope these people sue, and if given the chance, I would compensate them generously. I do think there is a strange "jealously" about anyone getting anything "free" that permeates these type of comments. "I pay for my cruises, why should anyone get anything that I don't!"

There is an obscene lack of empathy in these posts. What gives any of us NOT enduring this ugliness the right to judge anything about how these passengers feel...or their families?

What would be the reason for the Mayor of Mobile to lie? Let the cruise line call his bluff, if thatis the case. NOTHING should be more important than these customers who have suffered intolerable conditions. . Let the CORPORATE folks stay an hour or two away and put these customers FIRST over the CORPORATION! Let THEM get up early for a day or two and make a long commute, so these passengers have the quickest access to rest, food and showers.

No one who is not experiencing RIGHT NOW the exact same conditions as these passengers has any right to make light of their situation. Personally, I wish we could charter a ship, put the Carnival executives making these decisions, and all these callous, sarcastic cheerleaders on it...and REPLICATE the exact conditions these folks are suffering. After YOU live it for as long as they have, then you may be as snide and dismissive as you please.

There were a total of three tugboats dispatched to the cruise ship. Did Carnival Corp send anyone from their home office (or the CEO, or someone from his office) to be onboard and over see the handling of the conditions on the ship?

Before anyone flames the CEO over this, I really doubt they would allow him aboard the tugs. The tug Captains I know would certainly not allow it. They own that ship when it is in tow.

even if it's for show, it would be great pr. And. Itching says they're not planning to. At best, i'm hoping ug is there. He actually looked like he was going to cry in that last news conference.

They should keep funship freddy in hiding.

ug?

I don't dispute being concerned, but why be on the dock a day before the ship will be there.

Anxious to see her child, yes, but is this the child on board with her father?

i watched and heard the interview with the Coast Guard on Tuesday, I think it was. He specifically stated that they expected to be in Wed afternoon or Wed night, but if the winds shifted, it may be Thurs am. He was obviously wrong, but i don't find it strange that people who are within driving distance and have loved ones on that ship want to get there and be set up ready and waiting for whenever they may get back into port.

Before anyone flames the CEO over this, I really doubt they would allow him aboard the tugs. The tug Captains I know would certainly not allow it. They own that ship when it is in tow.

Not throwing flames. Just asking. Maybe he will be at the port when the ship comes in.

It was reported a day or two ago that there was enough power to charge phones (in one location). I know I bring extra camera batteries, so no doubt others do too.

What are the odds of any pics being posted here? CC is really a small percentage of cruisers.

Someone mentioned earlier in the thread, the roll call for this particular cruise had people on it from CC.

So pictures and first-hand accounts will show up here eventually.

Written by someone with access to a toilet,food, a bed, and not breathing the stench of human waste. Some of these type comments are cheerleading, of course, which is a most puzzling phenomena to watch. Walk a mile in the shoes of those whose problems you so casually dismiss. What can there be about loyalty to a corporation that moves you to value it more than people? This thread is really a study in human nature.

I certainly hope these people sue, and if given the chance, I would compensate them generously. I do think there is a strange "jealously" about anyone getting anything "free" that permeates these type of comments. "I pay for my cruises, why should anyoneget anything that I don't!"

What would be the reason for the Mayor of Mobile to lie? Let the cruise line call his bluff, if thatis the case. NOTHING should be more important than these customers who have suffered intolerable conditions. . Let the CORPORATE folks stay an hour or two away and put these customers FIRST over the CORPORATION! Let THEM get up early for a day or two and make a long commute, so these passengers have the quickest access to rest, food and showers.

No one who is not experiencing RIGHT NOW the exact same conditions as these passengers has any right to make light of their situation. Personally, I wish we could charter a ship, put the Carnival executives making these decisions, and all these callous, sarcastic cheerleaders on it...and REPLICATE the exact conditions these folks are suffering. After YOU live it for as long as they have, then you may be as snide and dismissive as you please.

Great post.

Mobile is still ticked that Carnival pulled out without warning. I'm surprised they are being as nice as they are.

One would hope they are doing it for the passengers.

Local commerce should get a bump the span of these days as well.

Mobile is in the deep south. Southern people are among the friendliest, most accommodating people in the world. They won't spite Carnival, especially if it means making things tougher on the people stuck on board the Triumph.

It probably helps that this gives them a chance to show what they can do for the cruise industry. perhaps Carnival or another line will consider moving a ship to Mobile after this.

I still remember back when CEO gave press conference that passengers were given hourly updates. I would REALLY like to know if this really happened. And I am still confused about one thing. Is it true that passengers are now expected to get on a bus immediately after this debacle and travel MORE to a hotel farther away? I would be royally P.O.'d. I would want a hotel room already assigned to me so that all I have to do is arrive, be given a room #, handed the key and vouchers for free meals the rest of the day and a bus to airport tomorrow if I want one.

This is what Carnival hopefully has done. If not, shame on them.

Mobile is in the deep south. Southern people are among the friendliest, most accommodating people in the world. They won't spite Carnival, especially if it means making things tougher on the people stuck on board the Triumph.

It probably helps that this gives them a chance to show what they can do for the cruise industry. perhaps Carnival or another line will consider moving a ship to Mobile after this.

It is a chance to shine and I am sure they will do whatever they can.

Archived