Fire on Carnival Triumph. No engines, running on emergency generators.

nixonzm

Indeed - alas the Carnival spinmeisters on this board don't want the truth to come out

Any spinmeister worth their salt knows that the truth will come out no matter what. Their job is to make it look as good as possible for their side. It seems to me that there are as many anti-Carnival spinmeisters posting here as pro. So in the end they hopefully cancel each other out.

So how close to shore will they have to be to get reliable cell service? I have read they are going to park them 50 miles off shore tonight and finish the trip into Mobile tommorow????

That would be pretty cruel of Carnival to do, to park them outside of cell range. If they do that intentionally then it will be another strike against them. In my experience they'd have to be within ~10 miles to get a signal, closer for a solid one.

I would really like to talk to my wife and find out how she is doing!!!!!

I have great sympathy for you. I'd be a nervous wreck in the same position. Just remember that they are safe.

To all the carnival haters. Accidents happen on other lines too. Here are just a few examples.

January 12, 2013

Silverseas' Silver Explorer on an Antarctic Peninsula cruise was damaged by 18-foot wave, returns to port. Several crew members injured. Next cruise was canceled.

April 20, 2012

Allure of the Seas engine room fire.

March 30, 2012

Azamare Quest cruise ship had a fire in the engine room on Saturday, March 30, 2012. Passengers on the 17-night cruise were called to their muster stations wearing their lifejackets where they stayed assembled while the little cruise ship drifted at sea off the Philippines after losing propulsion .

An engine room fire on Monday, December 12, 2011 around 0920 hours aboard Celebration Cruise Lines' Bahamas Celebration while the ship was sailing about four miles out of Freeport in the Bahamas, disabled the cruise ship with approximately 600 passengers aboard.

December 12, 2010

Brilliance Of The Seas cruise ship severe listings in storm off Egypt

An investigation into fires aboard Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines' Enchantment Of The Seas revealed that life jackets stored in passengers' cabins were causing fires.

The investigation began after a fire was reported in passenger cabin # 4544. The fire was extinguished in around six minutes.

During the investigation, it was discovered that that a faulty life jacket light is suspected to be the reason for starting the fire. The life jacket was stored in a storage locker wardrobe in the passenger cabin.

At 0637 hours on May 25, 2003, the Bahamas-registered passenger vessel S/S Norway, with 911 crewmembers and 2,135 passengers on board, suffered a boiler rupture in the aft boiler room. The accident occurred about an hour after the vessel had moored in Miami, Florida, at the end of a 7-day Caribbean cruise. As a result of the accident, 8 crewmembers sustained fatal injuries, 10 suffered serious injuries, and 7 received minor injuries. No passengers were injured.

Your not really comparing the smoke from a pen light on a lifevest to the major engine fire on the Truimph?

The allure grease fire that didnt even stop her?

and you went all the way back to 2003 and the Norway, ex France that was 40 years old and heading the the scrap yard?

Let talk about the extacy.......leaving Miami with her stern smoking/burning away!..........hell the pasinger were leaving their cabins with lifevests on trelling the crrew aboput the pictures on TV of the vessel stern burning!......At the same time the USCG was telling the Captian his vessel was onfire and the Captain was saying all was OK!

I don't count the minor stuff that always happens to all lines and all line have a major issue now and then, but with Carnival Line /Carnival Inc. lines there is a mountian of them.

Carnival Inc. has the poorest record in the industry..........fires on the QMII, breeze, spendour, allegro, just off the top of my head...........many mechcanical issues, design issues, hell, in 2 weeks the desteny and the triumph!

Go ahead add up any other lines to a similliar vessel count to Carnivail........Carnival is much higher.

AKK

I don't really get your point. I have been reading the triumph threads and I don't see where anyone said it only happens on carnival. They are getting a lot of feedback now because apparently this ship has had issues for months.

And does it really matter if people hate on carnival? Such is their right. People take it so personally.

What threads did you read?

My perception is that Carnival Cruise Lines given its size is about middle of the pack. Costa Cruises leads with some spectacular incidents unrelated to equipment failure. That said, middle of the pack when it comes to safety is really not the place to be and I would hope that Carnival Cruise Lines expends some resources to improve its record.

I'm not sureif you are treating Carnival and Costa as a single entity or not.

Anyway... statistics is a funny thing. Carnival owns Costa and no market branding changes that fact. Given that, Carnival has sunk 100% more ships than it's next nearest competitors Royal and Norwegian i.e. they lead in sinking ships and not middle of the pack. :rolleyes:

"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

I was getting ready for a trip across the desert. The day before, my battery light came on. Rather than take off across the desert, I postponed my trip until I could get the alternator replaced. By doing so, I lost some time, but I also did not put my family at risk of a breakdown in the middle of the Mojave desert where help was far away.

Every car has an alternator, and it is a mechanical part that goes bad regardless of what maintenance I do, but when indications were that it could fail and endanger me and my family, I took the time to fix it.

I have not done an exhaustive analysis of incidents and I wouldn't know how one would compare such diverse accidents as the fire aboard Triumph, that aboard Allure, and the one on NCL Dawn, let alone the number of less publicized incidents involving accidents aboard or around cruise ships.

I'm not sure people want to know this, but there are, on average, 4 fires on cruise ships a year.

Carnival is getting the most heat because their incidents have resulted in much worse conditions.

The fire on Allure was well known due to the mere fact is was on the wolrd's largest and most notable cruise ship.

So how close to shore will they have to be to get reliable cell service? I have read they are going to park them 50 miles off shore tonight and finish the trip into Mobile tommorow????

I would really like to talk to my wife and find out how she is doing!!!!!

Sorry to hear that it must be tough on you

She might be able to pick up a signal from one of the oil rigs out there

Oh Lord NO! She still has an axe to grind with RCI over a cruise she took almost 8 years ago! :rolleyes: And never hesitates to spew her bitter drivel on the RCI boards about how terrible they are.

She is like a broken record.

Lol, well that doesn't surprise me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not sure people want to know this, but there are, on average, 4 fires on cruise ships a year.

Carnival is getting the most heat because their incidents have resulted in much worse conditions.

The fire on Allure was well known due to the mere fact is was on the wolrd's largest and most notable cruise ship.

Wasnt there a fire on the Epic as well

Just an FYI that the information contained in our editorial news articles are not only gleaned from this forum; additionally those members are contacted via email for additional information and verification.

I am sure that will not appease the CCL apologists who think everything is fine and dandy aboard ship and all these reports of urine and sewage and food shortages are all lies and misinformation

I'm not sureif you are treating Carnival and Costa as a single entity or not.

Anyway... statistics is a funny thing. Carnival owns Costa and no market branding changes that fact. Given that, Carnival has sunk 100% more ships than it's next nearest competitors Royal and Norwegian i.e. they lead in sinking ships and not middle of the pack. :rolleyes:

"Never argue with a fool. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"

Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Costs Cruises. So lumping them together hardly seems reasonable.

The article I read was that they would park them 50 miles offshre of Dauphin island and finish the trek to dock in the morning due to safety regulations :mad:??? I havent had any word from my wife since the other ship left after sending over resupply on Monday.

I am sure that will not appease the CCL apologists who think everything is fine and dandy aboard ship and all these reports of urine and sewage and food shortages are all lies and misinformation

I'm not aware of any "substantial" number of reports emanating from the Triumph. If you have some links that would prove useful.

Archived