Blizzard Injury

RIvacationgirl

I would reach out to the Access Desk (more info here: http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising) and see what arrangements can be made to ensure you still have a fantastic trip. Hope he's on the mend soon!

I hope you can make the best out of this situation and agree with puddles99 advice. It would be very disappointing if you had to cancel.

NCL, as others in the travel industry normally help out.

In 2009, my DW had an accident(and knee surgery) just before vacation and we decided to go anyway.

At hotel registration, the hotel clerk took one look at her, in wheel chair, and we were upgraded to a jacuzzi suite.

We had a good laugh, as of course, we (she) couldn't use it.

I feel so sorry for your injury.

I would definetly call on Monday and speak to the powers that be, and see what type of assistance you can get.

Then buy the alcohol package, and cruise feeling no pain:D

Safe travels.

Sea ya

Ditto !!!!...NCL is very good with special needs...inquire ahead...and take all the assistance you need...and ENJOY....:)

Just to give my 2 cents. My daughter had the knee immobilizer as well. It was much easier to travel with a wheel chair. Those crutches can take a lot out of you when you are not used to them. Also if you use a wheel chair try to find a travel one. They are much lighter (to push and carry) and they fold up nice. Good luck!

Leaving in a week, and DH has torn something in his knee and is to have an MRI tomorrow. Dr. has said to use crutches and knee immobilizer. If necessary is there a special line for check-in for someone in his situation?:(:(:(

You might want to consider renting a mobility scooter.. rented one 4 times myself from Special Needs Group 954 585 0575 / 800 513 4515

Last time it was $250 for the week, but well worth it.. it would give him mobility without you having to push a wheelchair.. he can also take it off the ship to use in ports and sightseeing..

They take credit card, and have it waiting for you in your stateroom when you arrive.. and then they come to get it from your state room when you leave..so theres nothing you need to do, except keep it charged everynight when you go to sleep.. Saved me many a worry I tell you !!

I agree with a set of wheels. Even if he doen't use them, he will have them if needed. Whatever you decide, have a great trip. Bring pain meds, muscle relaxants, a few good books, and above all- patience and a positive attitude. Half the battle is the attitude, it can make or break the experience :)

You might want to consider renting a mobility scooter.. rented one 4 times myself from Special Needs Group 954 585 0575 / 800 513 4515

Last time it was $250 for the week, but well worth it.. it would give him mobility without you having to push a wheelchair.. he can also take it off the ship to use in ports and sightseeing..

They take credit card, and have it waiting for you in your stateroom when you arrive.. and then they come to get it from your state room when you leave..so theres nothing you need to do, except keep it charged everynight when you go to sleep.. Saved me many a worry I tell you !!

This is good to know. Otherwise you can find wheelchairs in thrift stores for cheap that you could just leave behind if you need to....

Take a wheelchair. Crutches can be dangerous on a moving ship. Do not rent a scooter. Scooters require practice before being used in such a small and crowded area such as a cruise ship. You could hurt yourself or others.

Also you would need a Handicapped cabin if you have a scooter. Scooters are only allowed to be stored in the cabin and not in the hallway. Handicapped cabins are usually booked up a year in advance as there are so few of them.

Oh and make sure the wheelchair can be folded so you can get it in the cabin. It isn't allowed to be stored in the hallway either.

NCL will help you at boarding just ask. You can still have a good time. Tell us what you decide to do.

I would reach out to the Access Desk (more info here: http://www.ncl.com/about/accessible-cruising) and see what arrangements can be made to ensure you still have a fantastic trip. Hope he's on the mend soon!

Ditto this. Call them. They can email you a form, and you can email it back to them. Takes a few minutes. They will absolutely help you, and if the wheelchair to aid him aboard isn't there for him, ask the first person you see about it, and they will make it happen.

DML

Take a wheelchair. Crutches can be dangerous on a moving ship. Do not rent a scooter. Scooters require practice before being used in such a small and crowded area such as a cruise ship. You could hurt yourself or others.

While a lot of this post is good information, I completely disagree about scooters being difficult to deal with. They're not. They're much easier than a standard wheelchair and usually take up less room, save the fact that they can't be folded (not all wheelchairs can either). Depending on what kind of room you have, the scooter may be no harder to store in the room than a folding wheelchair. Give yourself a few minutes to get used to alternating the wheels to get full range of motion in one.

DML

I took my daughter on cruise 10 days after an ACL repair. Although she used a wheelchair to get off and on the ship as well as through the airports she just had crutches onboard and it was fine.

Just remember that alcohol and narcotics and or Tylenol make a bad combo!

Just remember that alcohol and narcotics and or Tylenol make a bad combo!

I was going to mention that, but I figured those interested in not mixing already know it and those who are going to mix don't really care about the warnings. :cool:

DML

Leaving in a week, and DH has torn something in his knee and is to have an MRI tomorrow. Dr. has said to use crutches and knee immobilizer. If necessary is there a special line for check-in for someone in his situation?:(:(:(

You don't state if you are flying or not, but if so, contact your airline. They can help make sure he doesn't have to walk from gate to gate if you are not taking your own wheelchair. Delta for example can be done online & it's very simple.

Archived