Very Poor Response and Customer Service From Carnival. Please read..

Arcticcat

They had canceled their cruise. Fact is, you aren't going to please everyone. I have been sailing Carnival regularly since 2006 (8th cruise coming up) and don't see huge cutbacks that would stop me from sailing them again.

Do I hope my ship will catch fire and I will have to live in those conditions until they can safely get me off theship, NO! But that can happen anywhere/anytime with accidents.

Evidently you did not read to clearly. That ship had problems last week where is couldn't go into port for the speed. Carnival should have canceled the following cruise after that. But then some are able to make statements without reading to clearly.

I have never sailed on Carnival and have no plans to. So for sure not a cheerleader, I have been on these boards for thirteen years and sailed on a number of cruiselines. The complaint of the OP crops up with some frequency. Ie customer service is bad because I can't get what I want since it is at odds with the contract of carriage. Unless you buy cancel for any reason insurance, which we cannot in NY, you cannot cancel because you got cold feet or have lost faith in the management of the holding company.

If safety was such a worry, you only need to look at last years incident on the Costa line where there were thirty plus fatalities after the captain hit a rock. Passengers literally jumped off the ship in the middle of the night and swam to shore. some drowned, That is/was Carnival ship. That did frighten people off cruising, especially as the cowardly captain was off the ship before many of the passengers. The ships was at such a pitch that childen literally fell out of their parents arms. Others never made it off.

Is cruising safe, yes, can bad things happen. Sure. It is called life.

To the OP - I do agree that after the recent incidents that people are nervous and would be afraid to cruise on their ships. I would be. They should have a plan in place to work with (especially new) passengers who are leary of their product, have bought and paid for it and are now scared to get on their ships.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I've paid $$$ for a vacation and now I am terrified of going and there is no recourse.

As far as calling up another ship to move the passengers from one to the other I do not think was at any time an option. How do you suppose they would find an available ship to hold 3000 passengers and get it to the ailing ship in 24 hours?

Wait a few hours till the pictures start coming in from the triumph. Then say that Carnival acted properly.

And how do you know? Are you there? Is someone you know on there? It's not like Carnival planned to have this happen. I'm sure the officers, staff and crew are just as miserable as the passengers. Probably more so because they will be the ones left behind to deal with the mess and clean up.

The sole purpose of your post is to start a fight/argument. If you are unhappy with Carnival and don't want to sail with them anymore, fine, don't. Nobody here cares. Cruises go out every single week and things like this doen't happen. I personally have two upcoming cruises on Carnival and the thought of canceling hasn't even crossed my mind.

Note - I am not a Carnival employee or Carnival cheerleader. Just sick of the aggravating, holier than thou attitudes of some people on this board.

Glad your happy with how they are treating fellow passengers.

I fail to see a problem here. They have a big problem with one ship and you want to cancel a trip on two other ships? Based on what? There might be a problem? Or there might not?

And where, pray tell, are they supposed to find another ship? You want them to cancel your cruise so that they can get other passengers off?

And as to how they treat their customers, I think they are doing a great job. They are refunding those passengers fares, offering a free cruise, flying them back to Houston on chartered jets, paying for you to stay overnight in New Orleans if you choose, and $500 cold hard cash. Plus the terminal in Galviston is refunding parking fees and giving a voucher to park free at the next voyage.

Not letting you cancel because you are supersticious makes no sense.:confused:

No, your point was Carnival wouldn't let you cancel your cruise and you're not happy about that. Now, you spin it as concern for the passengers onboard but that's certainly not what you were complaining about. I'm quite certain those passengers will take care of themselves and if they're not happy with what's being offered, they'll deal with it however they deem fit. BUT, it certainly does NOT affect YOU in any way. While I certainly think that nothing and no one is perfect, including Carnival, I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around a solution that would have been better. We can all armchair quarterback and say "shoulda, woulda, coulda" but the fact is, none of us are in any position to do so. We are not on the ship, we are not privy to all of the facts and we can only make assumptions. And we all know where assumptions get us.

But, for you to come on here with your complaint of a lack of a refund couched in terms of concern of the passenger's current situation, is pretty darn disgusting in my eyes.

:) Totally agree with you, Suz. But reading all the comments has been amusing this afternoon.

Tendering usually takes place in a protected harbor from a single ship that has maneuvering capabilities -- I suspect the difficulty in doing this on the high seas with a powerless ship is far greater than some believe.

Exactly. How can a cruise ship transfer guests from a ship and they are over thousands of feet above water. That is NOT safe.

And lifeboats? That's a joke, right? Sure, they could offload people into lifeboats, but then what? The engines in those boats aren't designed for a 150 mile trip to shore, there is no where to store that kind of fuel on board those boats. Lifeboats are designed to get people off a sinking ship and stay put. There are no facilities on board. There is no food on board. Passengers would be packed in like sardines and no where to go.

The lifeboats (can't remember if it was on the Spirit or Splendor, but within the past 18 months) I have seen are stocked with MRE type foods, water, extra lifejackets and oars.

No way would 150 average-sized Americans fit into a 150person lifeboat.

So let's think of this as a cost-benefit analysis. Let's assume that an empty Carnival Magic is next to the ship waiting to take them on a free 7 night cruise to wherever. If you keep people on the Triumph, you have a cost of having miserable people. If you transfer them off of the ship, you have the benefit of moving them to a great location where they will be very happy, but you risk having people hurt or killed. I'd say its likely that you will have some people hurt, but less likely that someone will be killed (though the possibility exists).

How many injuries are you willing to risk to passengers in the process of transferring ships? At what point would it not be worth it to transfer ships?

I think some of you are being a bit harsh. I know I would not want to sail Carnival after this. Fact is, this is a long standing issue with Carnival. They have had this happen at least one other time. My husband hated Carnival when we went but I always say "but they are inexpensive!" His response now is "and this is the reason why. No maintenance on their ships"

I am not sure what I think they should do for upcoming passengers but try to at least see OPs point.

Hey OP - How 'bout you let me go on your cruises and you go book somewhere else. Since you have little faith that you'll be okay and that other lines are better.

Not a cheerleader, but seriously, get over yourself. It's FAR too dangerous to try to transfer to another ship, and WHERE are they going to get one?

Wait. Maybe they should cancel another cruise so they can get these people home first.

I agree, the situation sucks, but they can't do much more than they have done. Hindsight is always 20/20, and Monday morning quarterbacking is very easy.

Have fun and stop being so enraged about this.

Like I said, if you don't want to sail, I'll gladly take your place! :)

Exactly. How can a cruise ship transfer guests from a ship and they are over thousands of feet above water. That is NOT safe.

On a Royal ship saw a woman drop between the tender and ship at Avalon, Catalina Island. The crew went in right after her. No one was hurt but all three could have been injured or worse.

Seas seemed to be relatively calm, can't imagine transferreing in swells.

To the OP - I do agree that after the recent incidents that people are nervous and would be afraid to cruise on their ships. I would be. They should have a plan in place to work with (especially new) passengers who are leary of their product, have bought and paid for it and are now scared to get on their ships.

I can't imagine how I would feel if I've paid $$$ for a vacation and now I am terrified of going and there is no recourse.

Another poster put it quite nicely - the op booked his back to back AFTER the Splendor incident. If that didn't scare him away from CCL.... We had an unfortunate situation with Hurricane Sandy. We were "held hostage" by LIPA for 12 days with no power. No heat, hot water, etc.- we were freezing! It was an adventure for the first few days - then it quickly got old. At least we could drive to an area that had power, and get something hot to eat, warm up, charge out cells. While it was no way as despicable as what the Triumph people are going through, at least CCL is trying to compensate the passengers for their inconvenience. LIPA did nothing for us - in fact, I think they raised their rates!!:eek:

It's sad that nowadays people hear about an accident or tragedy and suddenly many are afraid of it happening to them. Why?!? Sad we are a society of people always in fear of everything.

I agree with the majority of people here, I don't see why Carnival should provide a full refund 2 weeks away from the cruise because someone is scared or convinced Carnival didn't handle this disaster right and any armchair QB could have done better.

This whole thread is beyond ridiculous. I'm just glad to see that the OP isn't booked on my next Carnival cruise. :rolleyes:

Our local news reported last night that a couple from a nearby town are on Triumph. The woman is an assistant principal at the high school; she and her husband have two teenage sons. The sons have received limited text messages from their parents (they showed them to the reporter).

Mom told them that the greatest hardship was boredom. Yes, some toilets are not working, but others are. Food is not typical cruise fare but they aren't starving or resorting to cannibalism.

To refer to the Triumph as a floating death trap is absurd.

That is probably the closest thing to the truth that we've heard so far;)

Tendering would be out of the question, we can already see how much flack there is just from whats happening on the ship, imagine a drowning death due to tendering, a tender boat flipping over and LOTS of drowning deaths, no way they would risk it.

As far as helicopters, we had a medical er on board one of our cruises and had to divert to within 90 miles of Key West so that the US coast guard could come and airlift the passenger. We watched as they did so, and there is NO way short of being on deaths doorstep that I would want to be in that basket, it was spinning and swinging due to the force of the blades spinning.

This will all be over soon, and we can hear from people who are actually on the ship, at the very least no one has died, hopefully they will all be off safely very soon.

At this point and time when they are so busy with this horrible issue, Why would you call and bother them about cancelling cruises on two different ships? IMHO, this was totally inappropriate on your part. When you take a cruise, flight, trip to the mall, you could have a problem. Things happen everywhere good and bad and sometimes the people you call for info don't have all the answers you want or are just too busy to dealing with other more imprortant issues. My advice is call back in a week or two if you just have to cancel thoses cruises. Give Carnival time to help those who are actually having a rough time now.:cool:

I'm no "cheerleader" (in fact after my March cruise I think we're done with Carnival) but every cruise line has final payment cut off dates. It's all in the contract you agreed to, so it shouldn't come across as a surprise.

Just got off the phone with Carnival. I called inquiring about cancelling our two cruises that are fully paid for. Wanted to know what our options were.

Due to the Triumph issues I agree accidents happen, but DON"T agree with the way they handled it. They could of brought another ship out there to get the passangers off.

So I called to see what Carnivals attitude towards upcoming passengers. Its not good.

If you paid for your cruise they are NOT offering refunds. Its a Triumph issue not a Victory or a Liberty issue is there response.

I was told as far as compensation to future passengers, there has not been any brought out to this point.

So in a nutshell, if your unsure about the cruiseline or have concerns about the response, your SOL.

Im booked in two weeks on the Victory then right after on the Liberty. They don't care about loyalty, they just want the money!:(

Has nothing to do with me....... I spent good money on two cruises back to back. If Carnival is a bad company for neglecting basic needs for people, then I have THE RIGHT to request a refund... This is 2012. There is other options to get that ship to a shore so passengers can transfer to another boat. It costs $$$$$ Thats what this is all about. So ya it does affect me, cause if it happens on either one of my cruises, you clowns will come back and say, you knew what you were getting into or it was your decision. Yes it is my decision, and if I lost confidence in the company thats my decision. Ya they won't refund my money..... Who cares. Thats a drop in the bucket. You pro Carnival lovers, they can do no wrong and heaven forbid a poster dosn't agree with you, you all gang up on him like a old boys club. You know what site this is? Cruise CRITIC. It means to criticise. That is what im doing. But you can't take ciriticism, so best you leave to another site...

That is not ciriticism you are expressing, its stupidity. You would have never booked on Carnival after the Splender incident if you felt Carnival did not do what was best for its customers. I have been on 14 cruises and not all with Carnival. How many cruises have you been on to give you so much knowledge to how the cruise industry should be run.

Here is your SIGN

I love the people who would push others aside to run to the aid of a corporation

"Its not a customer service issue, its policy"

Uh........policy IS a customer service issue.

If I had a restaurant where it was POLICY to not provide clean napkins, youd agree that the customer service was terrible.

Archived