Why tip the Assistant Chief Housekeeper?

seaplus

Who is the assistant chief housekeeper? Why does this person need a tip if we never even met him/her, and certainly can't put a finger on what he/she might have done for us?

Is this just another of Celebrity's attempts to keep from paying their staff a living wage, or does this person actually provide a service that is deserving of recognition by payment of a tip?

Ideas?

Just like the maitr'd, the ass't housekeeper keeps every thing running smoothly in your cabin area. You may not see him/her but they're there making sure that all is right. The tip isn't very much. Do it, and relax on the cruise.

Among other things, the assistant chief housekeeper is the "go-to" guy (or gal) for your cabin attendants when they need anything special or out of the ordinary. Whether it's a special item you've requested, or a new shower curtain to replace the one an attendant has noticed is looking a bit rough, the assistant chief housekeeper is usually the one to authorize the item and often get it from the central stores area. He/she also works with other departments, such as maintenance, as needed to get issues addressed.

The assistant chief housekeeper also supervises the attendants in their area, and often you may see them popping in and out of cabins while the guests are at dinner, doing a general check of things. On one cruise I was on, the assistant chief housekeeper walked through every cabin in his area each evening, placing the Daily as he checked each room. In case of a emergency, the assistant chief housekeeper also is responsible for ensuring all cabins in their area are empty if guests are sent to their muster stations.

You actually probably see the assistant chief housekeeper many times during your cruise, but simply don't know who he/she is. On my first cruise, the assistant chief housekeeper introduced himself on the elevator after we had both gotten on at my floor. He asked how I was enjoying myself, if everything in the cabin was to my satisfaction, and told me I could call Housekeeping at any time and ask to speak to him if I thought he could help.

One other practical reason to tip the assistant chief housekeeper, if nothing else sways you: I've been told by more than one cabin attendant that they collect the tips for themselves and the assistant chief housekeeper, and are expected to turn over to him/her the suggested amount times the number of days of the cruise times the number of guests in their cabins at a minimum, regardless of how much is actually collected. So stiff the assistant chief housekeeper, and it very may be that your cabin attendant is the one who makes up the difference :rolleyes:

Don't know if there is a cause and effect but the one time we never met the Assistant Chief Housekeeper and did not tip him/her, we found ourselves locket out of our cabin on the last night of the cruise. Had to go to guest relations to have our key card reactivated.

You really don't want to see the Asst. Head Housekeeper. It normally means something BAD has occurred in your stateroom. Only time we ever met one was when our safe when haywire. It was locked and would not open, wallet and excursion tickets locked inside and clock is ticking. After we turned around she did some magic and cracked the safe. We reset it, verified it was working again and got off for the excursion.

I understand and appreciate the duties of the Assistant Chief Housekeeper ("ACH"). What I don't understand is why this is a "tipping" position and not a salaried position. The ACH I met wore what appeared to be an officer's uniform, indicating a management position and not a crew position. The explanantion I was offered by another passenger is that the tip merely reflects reality. That is, the ACH is in a position to take a share of the cabin attendant tips even as a salaried employee and including him/her on the "list" helps eliminate some personnel "problems."

Among other things, the assistant chief housekeeper is the "go-to" guy (or gal) for your cabin attendants when they need anything special or out of the ordinary. Whether it's a special item you've requested, or a new shower curtain to replace the one an attendant has noticed is looking a bit rough, the assistant chief housekeeper is usually the one to authorize the item and often get it from the central stores area. He/she also works with other departments, such as maintenance, as needed to get issues addressed.

The assistant chief housekeeper also supervises the attendants in their area, and often you may see them popping in and out of cabins while the guests are at dinner, doing a general check of things. On one cruise I was on, the assistant chief housekeeper walked through every cabin in his area each evening, placing the Daily as he checked each room. In case of a emergency, the assistant chief housekeeper also is responsible for ensuring all cabins in their area are empty if guests are sent to their muster stations.

You actually probably see the assistant chief housekeeper many times during your cruise, but simply don't know who he/she is. On my first cruise, the assistant chief housekeeper introduced himself on the elevator after we had both gotten on at my floor. He asked how I was enjoying myself, if everything in the cabin was to my satisfaction, and told me I could call Housekeeping at any time and ask to speak to him if I thought he could help.

One other practical reason to tip the assistant chief housekeeper, if nothing else sways you: I've been told by more than one cabin attendant that they collect the tips for themselves and the assistant chief housekeeper, and are expected to turn over to him/her the suggested amount times the number of days of the cruise times the number of guests in their cabins at a minimum, regardless of how much is actually collected. So stiff the assistant chief housekeeper, and it very may be that your cabin attendant is the one who makes up the difference :rolleyes:

Apparently nothing ever goes wrong on the other cruiselines since none of them require a tip for the "go to" person. :rolleyes: None of the so-called reasons for tipping this person really hold water since they don't seem to do anything that someone on every other cruiseline doesn't do without automatically receiving a tip.

We have had problems with our safe on other lines and someone has always been sent to fix it. That person might well deserve a tip, but he or she gets it for having performed a particular service, not for being available in case the service is required. IMHO, it is a situation created solely by Celebrity.

The only legitimate reason for providing a tip, is explained in the last paragraph quoted above: Fail to provide the gratuity and your hard working cabin attendant suffers financially. All of the so-called duties noted for the chief or assistant chief housekeeper are management duties and should not require a tip.

Only on Celebrity. ;)

You know the short answer is quite simply "because they recommend it". Not to be a smarty pants or anything... :) Basically, the cruise line has set up an economic relationship between their employees and their customers. They tell all involved what that relationship is expected to be, and it all generally works very well.

If you don't like the environment that has been created and clearly communicated to you, then you should probably choose to cruise somewhere else, where the environment is more to your liking.

It really is that simple.

Oh, one more point... almost every point I've ever heard against tipping the ACH is based on interpreting this situation in light of a different economic environment, such as a land based hotel, or any number of other places where one might also "tip". It's apples and oranges. No correlation.

Theron

I never tip the head house keeper unless they hel solve a proboem. The

Assitant M'd (short hand) I tip if they give me the idea they deserve it if not if I don't feel they give service no tip.

For example on X the Asst M stoped by our table every night to enquire about out service etc so they get a tip the other cruise line I never see them except last night they never get a tip

I was a head houosekeeper, and never thought it should be a job that required a tip, as not all jobs do. Also, the idea of tipping because "thats just what you do?" If you dont feel that it is something you would like to tip, for whatever reason, than dont tip.

Also, the idea of tipping because "thats just what you do?" If you dont feel that it is something you would like to tip, for whatever reason, than dont tip.

But that's kind of like going to someone's house for a bridge party, and then deciding that you and only you will play spades!

The point I've been trying to make is "They've set up the system, if you don't like their system, go somewhere that has a system you do like."

If enough people refuse to participate in the system that has been set up, then they will be forced to change it, and everyone else who does like the system will be sad.

Theron

I'll be honest, the only time we have tipped the Assistant Chief Housekeeper is when he actually provided a service, meaning that he agreed that our mattress had a sink hole and he had it replaced. If you use logic, you would have to agree that if he were doing his job and inspecting cabins, he would have noticed the problem before we boarded and probably long before our cruise. The assumption that the ACH checks all cabins during a cruise is wrong.

I like to sleep in and always tell the cabin stewards that if they have a day off after attending the cabins in the morning, just skip ours and do it at night. On one cruise, with the language barrier, we never had cabin service during the day at all. I'm guessing the ACH never checked our cabin because even if I was out of the cabin by 9AM, we didn't get cabin service. Not a problem but you would have a hard time convincing me that the ACH checks cabins.

I am actually a little confused. Up until now it's always been called the Chief Housekeeper that we should be tipping. Either way, not. I don't care that he controls the cabin stewards and trains them. He is salary payed for that job. I don't pay in resturants for the Mgr. to train the staff and I don't give tips on a ship because the Maitre'd trains his staff. The good service is expected on a ship and why should anyone tip because someone is doing his job and training his employees to do a good job??

They do keep their eyes on things to do with your cabin. On one cruise we did not know that our tips would be taken care of by our hosts. We tipped the cabin attendants and the chief Housekeeper as we had always done. We had it put on our sea card a couple of days before the end of the cruise. The "ACH" saw it and told our cabin attendant to tell us that the tip was already taken care of so we could go to Customer Relations and have them take it off our card.

Tip or not, it is up to the individual---a personal choice. If a person chooses to "stiff" any personnel for any reason, it is no one else's buisness (however itrritating it may be to others. :) Let the flames begin!

Oh, one more point... almost every point I've ever heard against tipping the ACH is based on interpreting this situation in light of a different economic environment, such as a land based hotel, or any number of other places where one might also "tip". It's apples and oranges. No correlation.

Theron

I, at least, was not making a comparison with land-based hotels, but with all other cruiselines and only Celebrity seems to think that the chief housekeeper should receive a tip.

Were I on Celebrity, I would not want to jeopardize my room steward's tip and so I would probably do as asked, but you can be sure I would note my feelings on my comment card.

I, at least, was not making a comparison with land-based hotels, but with all other cruiselines and only Celebrity seems to think that the chief housekeeper should receive a tip.

Were I on Celebrity, I would not want to jeopardize my room steward's tip and so I would probably do as asked, but you can be sure I would note my feelings on my comment card.

Hi Bill,

That is probably the best possible solution! :)

Theron

I see a few times in this thread that is the ACH isn't tipped the Cabin steward will suffer. Not true. I few months back there was an "ex-Celebrity employee" on the boards answering questions. That question was specifically asked and she said "no" it does not effect the cabin stewart's tip. Just to verify, while we were on the Horizon a couple months ago, while we were talking to the Cruise Director (who was a bit older and the best I've ever had) we asked him the same question. He said 'never', the cabin stewart's tip is his (or hers) to keep and the same with the staff in the dining room. No one has to ever contribute to someone else's insufficient tip. This said, I do agree that it is so little, in the whole scheme of things, that it is hardly worth worring about.

I see a few times in this thread that is the ACH isn't tipped the Cabin steward will suffer. Not true. I few months back there was an "ex-Celebrity employee" on the boards answering questions. That question was specifically asked and she said "no" it does not effect the cabin stewart's tip. Just to verify, while we were on the Horizon a couple months ago, while we were talking to the Cruise Director (who was a bit older and the best I've ever had) we asked him the same question. He said 'never', the cabin stewart's tip is his (or hers) to keep and the same with the staff in the dining room. No one has to ever contribute to someone else's insufficient tip. This said, I do agree that it is so little, in the whole scheme of things, that it is hardly worth worring about.

If that is true, then the only legitimate reason I have found for tipping the chief housekeeper is gone. I wish that Celebrity would provide an official explanation for its reasoning that this position is deserving of a tip, or how it differs from the same position on other lines which do not suggest the person be tipped. Yes, the matter and amount are minimal, but it appears to symbolize an attitude aimed at getting every little amount possible from their guests.

I once was on a Celebrity cruise that went from Baltimore to the Caribbean. In a public forum on the ship, the staff captain repeatedly said the cruise would not take the ship through the Bermuda Triangle region. Only problem was that the enrichment lecturer that cruise was an expert on the Triangle, and had spoke the previous day extensively about how this very cruise would be going through this region. And, of course, the chart of the ship's course also showed us passing through the Triangle, not to mention that simple common sense made it clear we would.

The relevance here? Senior staff often say things for the purpose of public relations. They, by nature of their position, may avoid talking about the aspects of the business that might upset the guests. I've also asked stewards about this matter, and two confirmed that they had to hand over a minimum amount to the asst. chief housekeeper based on their guest count that cruise. I far more trust their word than that of a CD, who probably would justify telling the guest no simply because it wasn't an area he felt the guest should be concerned with.

As to the other lines, I know that several lines require their employees in each line of work to pool their tips. In this case, you have no idea who all shares in the "pool". Everyone from the asst. chief housekeeper to the restroom attendant might be getting a cut. At one restaurant I go to from time to time, few of the diners ever know that the waiters have to turn over 30% of their tips each night to the bus staff. I only know because a relative waited tables there for a while. What goes on behind the scenes often is not discussed with the customers in many businesses.

I almost get the sense here why we are called the Ugly Americans - Someone posted a tip calculator and according to his calculations the ACH for a 7 day cruise party of 2 gets $10.50 as does the asst Maitre'D. In the grand scheme of things does $21 when compared to say $3000 for a suite really mean that much to us or are we so used to not dealing with low paid foreign workers. We probably all make more in a month then these guys make in a half a year and in some cases a year.

Who is the assistant chief housekeeper? Why does this person need a tip if we never even met him/her, and certainly can't put a finger on what he/she might have done for us?

QUOTE]

One of the things the Asisitant Chief Housekeeper does:

Passenger baggage handling and distribution to and from cabins at the beginning and end of the cruise.

Interestingly enough, even here on these boards, US citizens have been bashed for tipping too much, or at all, and posters went on to say that it (tipping) showed an insensitivity to the plight of the foreign worker by encouraging low wages. Darned if you do, darned if you don't, it seems...:confused:

My response then is the same now. The cruise ship culture of tipping is about the cruise ship's culture, not U.S. culture, or Scottish culture, or Spanish culture, or any other culture. This is Celebrity's culture, and, until the policies are changed (I'm not telling anyone not to advocate for change) one should follow the culture very clearly spelled out by the line. It's simple enough, a small amount of money, and if it's the principle of the thing, spend your time writing an e-mail to the line and performing advocacy to change the culture, or get an explanation with which you're comfortable.:)

But here's me on my REALLY high horse; Does anyone truly believe that by a promotion to assistant chief housekeeper that these men and women are now paid a lot of money? That now they only run white gloved fingers across desks to check for dust? If they don't work hard, the cruise industry business model today certainly wouldn't keep them onboard just to get an extra $10.50 from you! If all the cruise line wants is an extra $10.50 per week, they can easily come up with some cheap souvenir must-have keepsake/collectible and fun-to-share-with-your-friends-at-home drink glass. Wake up and smell the reality, kids. (meant with all kindness and sincerity:) )

Phew, felt good to get that out!:D (If I stay on my high horse too long, I get saddle sores!)

Oh, and hey, Mari!

Archived