Child on Marina

Kaskade503

Well, the only way we can go on our cruise is with our little child.

We've been on several Oceania cruises before and know what it's like.

Our young child is very well behaved, well traveled and eager to go.

Yes we know there are no child activities on board and probably no other children on board. We have plenty of things to keep her occupied.

I am not worried about her, she will have a great learning experience, but I am worried about the other passengers who want an "adult" only experience.

Will we be outcasts?

If your child indeed is well behaved, you definitely will not be outcasts. There have been several children of all ages (infant through teenager) on the two Oceania cruises we have taken in the summer months, and it has not affected our experience at all. I would hope that fellow passengers would not be so petty or exhibiting uncalled-for ageism.

Enjoy your cruise!

We have had children on our cruises, and everyone I saw enjoyed having them aboard. Had they been tearing the place up, it might have been a different story, but it does not sound as if that is the case with yours, so go and enjoy.

Yes we know there are no child activities on board and probably no other children on board. We have plenty of things to keep her occupied.

I am not worried about her, she will have a great learning experience, but I am worried about the other passengers who want an "adult" only experience.

Will we be outcasts?

Always a delight to be around well behaved children with "first teeth" as well as well behaved adults with false teeth.

Will we be outcasts?

I guess my first questions would have been "when are you sailing?" and "How old is the child?"

But, I see by finding your other post that you are cruising during March-April...Since school is likely in session most places, likely to be fewer, if any, children on board...

When we were on the Marina, summer before last, there were several children--though most were teenagers rather than "little children"...possibly because of the number of children, they did have some activities directly aimed at the kids...including special cooking classes in the culinary center and art classes...Not the large scale kids or teens programs one finds on the larger cruise lines, but at least there was something aimed at giving them something special to do and a way to meet the others in their age group.

With the timing of your cruise, I am guessing there may be nothing of that sort...

It always seems that SOME people don't want to cruise with children...that's inevitable...

As for us, no problem whatsoever...We cruised with our kids often when they were younger (actually, we took them on a cruise 2 months ago--but, of course, now they are 27 and 28!)...As long as the child is well behaved...

With Oceania's open seating, you don't have to sit with others and others don't have to sit with you unless everyone wants to...So, those who object to having a child at dinner won't have to deal with it...

The bigger question will be your keeping your child entertained...The ships are pretty "adult-oriented"...there are no waterslides, rock climbing, video arcades, etc. I'd recommend bringing along enough games and activities for the child to keep them busy...

Good luck...

SO far you have only heard from a few people who won't mind your child while many Oceania cruisers expect a child-free cruise. Be prepared for some very angry looks. We've been lucky with only one or two very well behaved children in 10 cruises on O. Give it a try and hopefully you won't be bothered by "the looks."

I agree, well behaved children of all ages are fine aboard Oceania.

A couple of "war stories" however. On the Marina's maiden voyage the head chef's son was aboard; he was about five and became everyone's darling, even sitting next to Dad to sign the wonderful Oceania cookbooks we were given as a perk for that first cruise. His mom and grandparents were also aboard, so it was a wonderful family time for them all.

On the other hand, our last cruise included a young man about 15 cruising with his mom and grandmother. He was the only young person aboard. He looked so bored and miserable the entire cruise, I really felt sorry for him.

The point here - you know your child better than anyone. Listen to the advice of all the posters on this thread, then make your own decision. Just remember, O has no children's program and no babysitting service, so you will have to be engaged with your child the entire cruise

we have been told constantly, if you want an adult only experience, go to Oceania...

so we are.....

Only P & O have "adult only" ships

Oceania will have less children that mass market ships but children are allowed

Lyn

You wont be outcasts but you wont be embraced either and find it difficult to interact or mingle with other adult groups or activites.

My advice is with so many wonderful cruises available with extensive childrens programs and family acivity why would you pick Oceania which has none and the potential for conflict ?

You wont be outcasts but you wont be embraced either and find it difficult to interact or mingle with other adult groups or activites.

My advice is with so many wonderful cruises available with extensive childrens programs and family acivity why would you pick Oceania which has none and the potential for conflict ?

We would have no problem interacting and mingling with you and your child as I am sure many others would :cool:. If people want an adult only experience there is at least one cruise line which provides that as Lyn has said.

Lou

I have not traveled on Oceania yet, (leaving in a few weeks) I did take my grandson on a small Princess ship to the Holy Lands. There were no children activities aboard. Their were two 9 year olds and 2 toddlers. I had home schooled my grandson that year so he was used to learning not being entertained all the time. At check-in you would have thought we had the plague. With in a day or two people were talking to him. When he wore his tux people were stopping and straighting his bow tie and telling him how handsome he looked. By the end of the first week people were calling his name and asking him what he had done. Sadly the other nine year did not have the same experience. I have to also tell you that our cruise experience was totally different then our other 7 cruises. We were always on alert to make sure that his being on the ship did not effect other passangers. It was not the relaxing, get away from real life, do something new experience. Also the food was not his favorite experience, we ate often at the hamburger and hot dog grill. Hope this helps. The small Princess ships are generally thought for adults only.

Will we be outcasts?

We have just got off Marina and there was one little boy on board. He was extremely well behaved and no-one seemed to mind him being there but he did look so lonely and bored some of the time I felt sorry for him.

Children love to play around and splash in the pool and they can't do that sort of thing on O, and there isn't a lot else for them to do.

But, as someone else has said, you know your own child best and if you feel she will be happy onboard, and she is well behaved, I can't see that it is a problem.

Archived