Alert to CCL Cruisers that Also Sail RCCL: AUTO TIPS have BEGUN

MrPete

I found this quite by accident, and first thought this was for non US citizens at first, but it seems to be everyone now.

And like CCL, they are adjustable.

Starts the first of March.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&pnav=2&faqSubjectName=Gratuities&faqId=5520&faqSubjectId=415&faqType=faq

????

Whats the big deal about auto tips?

To start with, you don't want to tip twice.

If some people don't know the MDR is included in their fare, it wouldn't surprise me that those used to tipping in cash don't realize they've been charged.

I do often wonder if those that don't realize the MDR IS included realize they tipped for service in a room they never visited!

Well there has always been auto tips on Carnival right? How did rc to it? I guess if I sailed rc I would have just assumed it was the same.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You assumed wrong. You tipped in cash in envelopes.

If you wanted to charge your tips to your Seapass account, you had to fill out the proper paperwork and submit it prior to something like 2 days before the end of the cruise.

And, no, Carnival has not always had auto tips. You tipped in cash in envelopes as well.

Guess because people were continually stiffing the crew RCCL has wisened up.

I'm guessing the Carnival crowd is emigrating over to something better since the cutbacks and are bringing their bad habits with them.

We always do auto tips the past 5 or more years. When we took our 5 RC cruises the past 4 years, there is a form we had to get at the information desk fill that out hand it in and tipping was on our seaboard account.

Carnival always allowed us to do the same. I love it.

I find it really funny how folks are extremely upset over on the RCI forum over this.

Indeed Carnival has had it for a long time and while it is not obligatory, it saves many guests from carrying cash around and deciding who gets what.

I'm guessing the Carnival crowd is emigrating over to something better since the cutbacks and are bringing their bad habits with them.

but even with auto-tipping those peeps would still stiff the staff. and its great that these former stiffers are off to RCCL, don't think the Carnival staff will mind their exodus.

We have asked many cabins stewards that we had on the past cruises whether they prefer auto tip and they love it. They state they get all their tips and generally they get more this way because many do not tip the "suggested amount" if they give cash. If a cabin steward deserves more I just leave cash in the envelope in addition to auto tipping that we do.

I'm glad Carnival does the auto-tips, because I think about how many people wouldn't tip at the end of their vacation, and not just because they don't want to tip, but also because of overspending, unexpected expenses, etc.

We always leave our tips in place, and on the last day we go around and tip extra to the staff who made a special impression on us.

ummm....we booked a RCI cruise on Independence of the Seas last year in a Promenade Familly Stateroom for $2,700 and our tips were automatically added to our Account. I can't recall the reason why they were (maybe because we are 5..), but 100% we had to pre pay our tips as well.....

We did cancel our Cruise with no issues, and our tips were obviously also refunded.

Seems to me when I sailed on the Oasis of the Seas there was autotip then and that was 2010. When we sailed Celebrity, there was auto tip there also.

:confused:

I believe RC and X putting on auto tip for those who choose ATD is not new. What would be new is adding tips to those opting for fixed dinning times.

ummm....we booked a RCI cruise on Independence of the Seas last year in a Promenade Familly Stateroom for $2,700 and our tips were automatically added to our Account. I can't recall the reason why they were (maybe because we are 5..), but 100% we had to pre pay our tips as well.....

Did you also book their anytime dining? We sailed the Oasis last May and chose atd...was a tad confusing when the tip envelopes showed up, but we knew we paid em and that was that.

We did cancel our Cruise with no issues, and our tips were obviously also refunded.

Auto tips were automatic if you had my time dining. Otherwise not

I have no problem paying auto tips and have never jilted anyone of their tip on a cruise ship.

That being said though I wish the cruise lines would call it something else because to me a tip is something you deserve and earn and to make you prepay it is not a tip...I am paying a salary. Why don't they just call it what it is?

Archived