Booking Late

I haven't taken a cruise in a few years, and when I did I've always booked early because I'm an obsessive planner. We are considering a trip at some point March 9-17, but we won't be able to be certain that my wife can get off work until close to the cruise. How late can I book? Are prices way more expensive close to the date? If we book this late can we still get My Time Dining? We haven't cruised since my daughter was born, and I don't want to be stuck dragging a three year old to dinner at 830 when she should be going to bed. Thanks so much!

That time frame is the start of spring break season. It may be difficult to find specific availability. However, if you are not looking for a specific port nor specific destinations nor specific cabins, you should be able to find something. Last year, I booked a cruise for my family (husband and four kids) about three weeks out and got a decent deal on Celebrity.

I think rates will go up within the last week-10 days of sailing - at least that's what I've seen. Rates are great right now - we booked 1/20 for the 3/10 Allure sailing. Are you considering the Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral?

I'm considering pretty much anything. She just needed some time away from everything after a crazy period at work. A cruise seemed the best way to take our daughter somewhere and still relax. We don't really care where we go or what room we have. We are easy to please, except that I really don't want to eat at 830. We've cruised on the Freedom before and loved it. I thought about that and Allure since my daughter would like the Dreamworks characters. Most likely, we'd just book whatever was left though.

That time frame is the start of spring break season. It may be difficult to find specific availability. However, if you are not looking for a specific port nor specific destinations nor specific cabins, you should be able to find something. Last year, I booked a cruise for my family (husband and four kids) about three weeks out and got a decent deal on Celebrity.

I agree, it really depends on how flexible you are willing/able to be. You can get really great deals if you are not picky and can travel with short notice. After all, their goal is to fill every cabin.

I agree, it really depends on how flexible you are willing/able to be. You can get really great deals if you are not picky and can travel with short notice. After all, their goal is to fill every cabin.

That makes me optimistic. Thanks. We aren't picky. I just wasn't sure they were even bookable a few weeks out.

I'm considering pretty much anything. She just needed some time away from everything after a crazy period at work. A cruise seemed the best way to take our daughter somewhere and still relax. We don't really care where we go or what room we have. We are easy to please, except that I really don't want to eat at 830. We've cruised on the Freedom before and loved it. I thought about that and Allure since my daughter would like the Dreamworks characters. Most likely, we'd just book whatever was left though.

Well, this is already "last minute", to me. You are talking about two and a half weeks from NOW, and you are talking about "waiting" until it gets closer!

You can book up to 72 hours before most cruises, if there is availability.

What about airfare? That goes way up when you get close to flight day.

As far as dining time, I would eat in the Windjammer with a 3 year old for a more relaxing experience. Sure, you have to get your own food, but you and she can sample all sorts of things, and you can take turns getting your food, and spend as much or as little time as you like.

That makes me optimistic. Thanks. We aren't picky. I just wasn't sure they were even bookable a few weeks out.

The only restrictions I am aware of are the cabin availability and homeland security (I believe that's what it is) that needs a passenger manifest 24 or 48 hours prior to sailing.

Have heard of people booking on Wednesday/Thursday for a weekend sailing. As for the rates, all depends on how well the ship is selling. My biggest concern in your shoes would be the availability of a cabin for 3. On the holiday sailings these tend to fill faster.

As for dining, even if you can only get the 8:30 seating, you can always try to change once onboard, or especially on the Allure take advantage of the many other dining options. Yes, most are extra, but not all!

I booked a last minute cruise (5 days out) in November on the Monarch and the Royal Caribbean agent told me that you can book up to 3PM the day before the cruise. People on here talk about manifests having to be submitted 72 or 48 or 24 hours in advance but it "appears" regardless of whatever the real window for that is, you can still book the day before.

Hope you have a wonderful, relaxing cruise with your family!

I am not 100% sure of the current policy due to homeland security mandates, but in the past you could show up in a "standby" like fashion and take an open room if there was one. They were sold at amazingly discounted rates. But again, that may not be the case anymore.

I am sure with 24 hours or more notice you will be able to get a cabin if one is available.

I would call RC and ask customer service directly and get some information from the source. Also, don't be surprised if what you find on the website is different from what you could do over the phone. There are rooms not available to book online.

As for dining, I would take what is available at the time and then request a change once on board. But my guess would be MTD should not be a problem to get. It is generally the traditional seating that fills.

I booked 9 days out for my Jewel cruise (disembarked today). I caught a sent rate on the cabin and a Suthwest fare sale. But I think that I was very, very lucky.

I'm seeing that a balcony guarantee for this Saturday's 7 night cruise on Navigator out of New Orleans is $499pp. So you, too, might get lucky. :)

The only restrictions I am aware of are the cabin availability and homeland security (I believe that's what it is) that needs a passenger manifest 24 or 48 hours prior to sailing.

The APIS manifest needs to be uploaded just 60 minutes before departure. People have been able to book a cruise 24 hours in advance just fine.

I concur...

Did it back in December. Booked Thursday morning and 26 hours later we were onboard. Also did this with a 2 year old. Flexable is the key and for us we got two rooms thought a triple might be harder to find close.

If you book after online check in ends you can still check in manually at the port just arrive earlier and bring patience. Not everyone is used to no set sail but we found at PC at least one person did and everything was fine.

Archived