Not so "live" Review from the RSVP Charter of Eurodam 2.9.13

bradpole

Pinnacle Grill Continued:

IMG_2426.jpg?m=1361469107

The meal was wonderful as it always has been in the Pinnacle Grill! My only “complaint” is the cuts of meat are just so massive!!! But I guess that is a good “compliant” to have :-)

That night was perhaps one of the best meals we ever had at the Pinnacle Grill, especially considering how busy they were! The meal wasn’t rushed or too quick, nor did it drag on for an eternity, it was paced just right. Two things I don’t have pictures of (they didn’t come out too great) was the Lobster bisque that Alex had, and the assortment of salts on the table. Alex’s Lobster Bisque comes in two parts. The first is a large bowl with some shredded lobster meat on the bottom and a cast iron kettle filled with the bisque that is then poured into the bowl at the table.

There were three salts on a three sectioned glass plate, a red, a pink, and a black. The black was a Hawaiian volcanic salt which had a wonderful smokey flavor, and the red and pink salts also had a unique taste. For those who are interested I think I have seen similar salts available by the pound at Whole Foods.

While discussing the Pinnacle Grill I thought I’d bring up a HUGE difference onboard an RSVP cruise compared to a regular HAL cruise. Dress code. The dress code onboard can be best summed as, “what dress code?” The only places you are REQUIRED to wear pants and a nice shirt is the Pinnacle Grill and Tamarind for dinner. The main dining room is no swim attire or tank tops. For the most part everyone is well dressed in the evenings, much more casual than what would be seen on a regular HAL cruise, but still everyone looked nice (no swim suits, no gym shorts, etc..)

After our incredibly satisfying meal at the Pinnacle Grill we made our way to the 8:30 performance of “Well Strung”

We didn’t know what to expect but in the end were very pleased with their performance.

Well Strung preformed various classical arrangements as well as current pop songs “converted” to strings.

DSC_9228.jpg?m=1361468960

DSC_9219.jpg?m=1361468957

After Well Strung was the movie sing a long of “Mary Poppins.” In years past we, and other guests, would come up with creative costumes for that year’s movie. A couple of years ago the movie was “Sound of Music” and we dressed as nuns. Sadly the movie sing a long was scheduled the same as another RSVP Signature event, so attendance was pretty terrible. This was one event we didn’t have a costume for. We didn’t have enough time to put one together. Oh well! Even though the event was sparsely attended there were still costumes, and everyone had fun!

MC Paul J. Williams (aka Sister Helen Holy)

DSC_9232.jpg?m=1361468964

We thought this was cute and creative!

DSC_9229.jpg?m=1361468962

Now the main event for the evening...

IMG_2398.jpg?m=1361469085

The Darker Shades of Grey Party... aka the leather party!

Here’s the only photo that could be PG enough for cruise critic

DSC_9237.JPG?m=1361548850

As you can tell from the picture everyone is huddled on one side of the ship. The ship had some motion, it was very windy out there and the empty corner in the top left was getting soaked with salt spray blowing in.

For the crew members who haven’t experienced and RSVP cruise before this is perhaps the most shocking party for them. The looks on some of their faces as the more risqué costumes exit the elevators and make their way to the pool decks are priceless!

As you can tell from the picture everyone is huddled on one side of the ship. The ship had some motion, it was very windy out there and the empty corner in the top left was getting soaked with salt spray blowing in.

The dancing always tends to be on the port side of the aft Lido deck (where the DJ booth is) and people just hang out on the starboard side. The wind was so strong that even on the port side one would get wet from water spray coming off the pool!

The dancing always tends to be on the port side of the aft Lido deck (where the DJ booth is) and people just hang out on the starboard side. The wind was so strong that even on the port side one would get wet from water spray coming off the pool!

That makes perfect sense!

We didn't stay long enough to notice that port side was also getting sprayed!

We were on a Eurodam cruise just prior to a RSVP charter. We returned to FLL very late due to leaving our anchor at HMC the day before. The ship tried and tried to retrieve the anchor and finally had to leave. When we arrived about 12 noon in FLL, HAL had set out lunch for all of us and we learned they had piled the mountain of luggage for the charter and the charter guests were being taken care of in the terminal next door.

We processed VERY quickly off the ship, many had missed their flights, didn't have hotel rooms etc but we had planned to stay over in FLL. We were meeting an HAL friend that night and we watched Eurodam sail in about only an hour late. They did a world class, fabulous job turning that ship around!!!!

Peter was on that cruise if I remember correctly. :)

We were on a Eurodam cruise just prior to a RSVP charter. We returned to FLL very late due to leaving our anchor at HMC the day before. The ship tried and tried to retrieve the anchor and finally had to leave. When we arrived about 12 noon in FLL, HAL had set out lunch for all of us and we learned they had piled the mountain of luggage for the charter and the charter guests were being taken care of in the terminal next door.

We processed VERY quickly off the ship, many had missed their flights, didn't have hotel rooms etc but we had planned to stay over in FLL. We were meeting an HAL friend that night and we watched Eurodam sail in about only an hour late. They did a world class, fabulous job turning that ship around!!!!

I was on the same cruise Sail! My sister an I were on the last tender back from HMC, the one that made the ship move so we could actually get off the tender, lol. I think that manouver was the cause of the anchor problem.

Fun cruise.

Deb

Yes, I was!

That was the year of the many snow storms and I was going to meet friends at Miami airport the Friday night prior to the cruise around midnight (their midday Thursday flight to Ft. Lauderdale had been cancelled). Alas, more snow delayed their arrival until 6:00 am and so I was up all night and found out via email form RSVP and/or HAL that the Eurodam would arrive late and not to check in before 3:00 pm. I think I got to bed around 7:00 am thinking I could get a few hours of sleep until other friends started calling at 9:00 am when they were waking up and wanted to know what to do since they had to be out of their hotels by Noon). I started that cruise with a serious sleep deficit.

I think we arrived around 3:30 pm and there was a line to check in but it wasn't that bad at all. We waited in other terminal for a while where HAL provided water, coffee, tea, lemonade and cookies. We were onboard eventually and did sail away around 7:00 PM IIRC.

Starting from the beginning of the thread, I was pleased to see your comments on your Carnival pre-cruise. I haven't been on Carnival for almost 20 years, and have been a bit apprehensive about what to expect.

Your latest pictures leave me thinking about "The Quest" and I'm wondering: A lot of what happens on the cruise is quite intensively managed by RSVP. How much of the HAL "personality" comes through, would an RSVP cruise on Royal feel much different from an RSVP cruise on another line?

Thanks

Roy

Your latest pictures leave me thinking about "The Quest" and I'm wondering: A lot of what happens on the cruise is quite intensively managed by RSVP. How much of the HAL "personality" comes through, would an RSVP cruise on Royal feel much different from an RSVP cruise on another line?

Oh yes, the HAL personality still comes through! I have done RSVP cruises on Princess, HAL and NCL and even though it is different from the cruise lines' usual cruises you still get a sense of the cruise line itself: the food, the service, the accommodations etc. Things like entertainment, dining hours and dress code will differ from a regular cruise.

Our charter next year is on the MSC Divina and I am just a tad apprehensive about sailing on an unknown cruise line. Our NCL Pride of America cruise was nothing compared to a HAL cruise as far as the ship itself goes.

I remember that year very well! We did a pre cruise on the Crown Princess that year. I remember going up on deck that look out over the port and noticed no Eurodam!

Thankfully shortly after beginning to panic my travel agent calls to let us know the ship would be late and not to worry!

The HAL staff in the terminal did their best to try to make everyone comfortable while we waited for the ship. I believe RSVP was running a shuttle bus to Wilton Manors to help occupy the time before we could begin checkin and boarding!

We felt so sorry for everyone onboard waiting to get off the ship! We have docked late on a couple of cruises, one which we had a flight that afternoon and missed. No worse way to end a vacation!

Oh yes, the HAL personality still comes through! I have done RSVP cruises on Princess, HAL and NCL and even though it is different from the cruise lines' usual cruises you still get a sense of the cruise line itself: the food, the service, the accommodations etc. Things like entertainment, dining hours and dress code will differ from a regular cruise.

Our charter next year is on the MSC Divina and I am just a tad apprehensive about sailing on an unknown cruise line. Our NCL Pride of America cruise was nothing compared to a HAL cruise as far as the ship itself goes.

I couldn't agree more! Shortly after doing RSVP cruises on Cunard and HAL I've done "regular" Cunard and HAL voyages. Once you take away the special entertainment brought on for us, and the different dress codes, it is still very much a "HAL cruise."

We're excited about trying MSC, we've wanted to book them for a regular cruise but just never pulled the trigger, but we know we'll miss the friendly crew and the smaller ships HAL offer!

THANKFULLY YES! About a month or so before the cruise RSVP will publish a PDF summary of all the theme parties and some of the entertainers. Some years they have even gone so far as to give us a rough draft of "The Explorer" showing everything that was scheduled for the week.

It is always an exciting time to download the party themes and to start brainstorming what we will wear and to think of what others will be wearing as well!

That sounds like such a hoot!!! Can't wait to see more pictures

Starting from the beginning of the thread, I was pleased to see your comments on your Carnival pre-cruise. I haven't been on Carnival for almost 20 years, and have been a bit apprehensive about what to expect.

Thanks

Roy

Carnival has a bad reputation, some of it they deserve. My very first cruise was on the old Carnival Fascination just after 9/11. I loved the concept of cruising but hated my cruise! I vowed NEVER to step foot on Carnival again, and I didn't until 2010 when our travel agent begged us to give them a second chance! She kept insisting the Carnival of today isn't the Carnival of 10 years ago, and she was correct! They improved their food, personally I think their dining room food is better than RCCL. They newer refurb'd ships offer a lot of variety on the pool deck for included food items without an up charge.

Somethings haven't changed. The decor of the ships are still way over the top, sometimes god awful ugly! (Although their newest ship has a very modern and bright interior)

The atmosphere onboard is very casual, "dress" shorts (no gym/basketball/swimming) shorts are permitted at dinner, "formal" means long pants and a polo. Overall they offer excellent value for what they charge. That low entry price does come along with a lot of onboard up selling, but that's really no different than RCCL or Princess in trying to get you to spend, spend, spend once onboard.

Carnival isn't for everyone, nor is HAL, RCCL, or Princess. If you on Carnival looking to have a good time in a very casual environment you'll probably enjoy yourself!

Day 4, Curacao!

Arrival 9am, all aboard 12:30am

10:30pm in the Queen’s Lounge, Amy Armstrong and Freddy Allen with a Gert Alert!

at 7pm there was one show only, a production show featuring the Eurodam Singer and Dancers.

Today was all about the Carnivale parade and fireworks in Curacao as we sailed at 1am.

We slept in a little, having been to Curacao a few times before we were in no rush to head into port. We originally considered renting a car and exploring the Island but when we woke up we decided to just wander around town, have a beer, and find some WiFi.

For those who haven’t been Curacao, the ship will dock in one of two possible places. The first is for “smaller” cruise ships (such as the Eurodam and smaller) which docks in the canal directly across from downtown, or at the MegaPier which is nice walk into town. Regardless of the location you dock at you will have the opportunity to walk across the floating bridge into ‘downtown’ Willemstad.

DSC_9291.jpg?m=1361468967

DSC_9316.jpg?m=1361468971

If when you go to walk across the floating bridge and it is open to allow boat traffic through there are ferries that run across the canal free of change continuously while the bridge is open. Just look for the red signs that say “FERRY” on both sides of the canal.

We had a pleasant walk around town, I forgot to turn on my walking app to track how many we walked, but I’m guessing it was at least 3 miles around the narrow streets of Willemstad and through the small shopping mall at the fort (near the mega pier).

If you are someone who is looking for a true “locals” experience. Wander around the streets on the side of the canal the ship docks at. You won’t find any jewelry stores, Diamonds International, etc... Just the locals going about their daily business.

DSC_9284.JPG?m=1361550008

DSC_9281.JPG?m=1361550007

DSC_9279.JPG?m=1361550005

DSC_9265.JPG?m=1361550003

Curacao continued:

DSC_9267.JPG?m=1361550004

This restaurant did a descent business that day, and they were located RIGHT at the pier

IMG_2463.jpg?m=1361469119

On the way back to the ship we stopped here, across the street from the ship

DSC_9262.JPG?m=1361550003

and enjoyed a couple of cold “Bright” (local light beer bottled by Amstel) and some free wifi to catch up on the world... that’s when I learned of the Carnival Triumph fire.

Later that same evening, just before sail away we were able to see some of the parade in the distance

DSC_9339.jpg?m=1361468975

(not a great picture but better than I thought it be using a 200mm zoom at night without a tripod)

After returning to the ship we made our way up to the Lido for lunch, and then retired for the afternoon to the Silk Den to burry ourselves in our Kindles!

Before dinner we went to the Queen’s Lounge to see one of the “house” HAL entertainers who was still onboard. At 5pm it was “The closeup magic of Jeff Peterson and Indy the dog.” We felt sorry for Jeff, although he did a pretty good show most of us where there to see the cute little puppy!

I wanted to mention, this was also the night from 5 to 8 around the Midship Lido pool was a BBQ. Two friends of ours attended and they said they had a very enjoyable meal.

Our plans for the evening had been to attend the show at 6, Silk Den for dinner at 7, Amy and Freddy at 10:30, and be on deck for the fireworks at sail away.

Just before the show was supposed to start at 6 the ship had a power failure for a few moments. The captain came on the PA and told us not worry, engineers were working on the situation. The ship was currently on emergency generators and was well lit in the theater and the hallways. The power was quickly restored and the captain informed us it was a tripped breaker (or something along those lines). Unfortunately the theater staff would have to do a complete power up check list that would take a while before the show could start. While the technical staff were working on the theater equipment Jason (the HAL cruise director) and Brad (the RSVP) cruise director came out on stage and did a good job keeping the small audience entertained. It is our understanding the show did begin right around 7, but we had our reservation in Tamarind at that time. It was only a production show anyway, no big loss!

I should mention the vast majority of our fellow guests were off the ship on the Carnivale parade excursion offered through the ship. Perhaps someone who took that excursion can offer details on how it was handled this year. We had a less than stellar time the last time RSVP offered this same cruise with the Carnivale parade excursion, so we had no interest in booking it a second time!

Tamarind continued:

Wasabi crusted tenderloin... WONDERFUL!

IMG_2524.jpg?m=1361469164

IMG_2525.jpg?m=1361469170

Chocolate Wonton... it is MASSIVE!

IMG_2527.jpg?m=1361469173

I believe this was the Mango Cloud

IMG_2528.jpg?m=1361469176

Overall an EXCELLENT meal and well worth the cover charge! We had a lovely table on the starboard side that overlooked the canal.

After dinner we wandered around the ship checking out some of the various performers until it was time to head to the Queen’s Lounge to steak our claim to our seats for Amy and Freddy.

This is how popular she is, a good 30 minutes before the show... every seat including the folding chairs they bring in are taken

IMG_2531.jpg?m=1361469189

After a very enjoyable performance of Amy and Freddy (which included one song sung wile Indy the dog danced on stage!) she sang her signature song of “pussy cat.” We made our way out on deck to watch the fireworks. We’re guessing something happened on land because there was just one firework shot off then nothing else! Oh well, being out on deck for sail away treated to wonderful views of the island as the ship backed out of the canal.

Next stop... Aruba!

Day 5...booo the cruise is more than half way over... Aruba.

Arrival 8am, All aboard 3:30

8:30 and 10:30 HAL Production show “Dream Park”

The Matchmaker Game with RSVP Host Brad 6:30pm

Cashetta - “The Extra Large Medium” (she’s not exactly a skinny lady and this night she did her psychic show)

Comedy Club with Poppi Kramer and Johnny McGovern at 10:30

and many more items!

Plus a theme party at sail away!

Aruba is one my favorite ports, the island is so beautiful and the people who live there very friendly! Their slogan of “One Happy Island” fits perfectly!

IMG_2566.jpg?m=1361469198

After an “early” breakfast in the Lido (8:30am) we made our way ashore with no particular plans in mind. On past port visits when we have had late all board times I have rented a car and explored the island. The island is relatively small so it is easy to explore (just don’t expect any street signs pointing out the POI’s). On this same itinerary a couple of years ago our all board time was noon or even before so we very little opportunity to do anything in port but walk around the area by the pier. As anyone who has ever been to Aruba, the pier certainly isn’t the nicest part of the island. That was Alex’s first taste of Aruba and it left a lot to be desired. This year thankfully we had a much later all aboard time of 3:30 so after exiting the terminal we took one of the hawkers up on the offer of a two hour Island tour on an air conditioned bus for $20. We would see the rock formations, the chapel, the lighthouse, and have the option to swim at the beach or return to the ship. As much as I would have preferred to rent a car and explore on our own, 3:30 was just too early of an all board time to risk setting out with a rental. If you have driven in Aruba you know, the streets are not well marked, and once you are in town near the ship the traffic is awful!

We filled the last two seats on the bus, so we didn’t have long to wait before the tour started. Given the “early” hour of 9am we were some of the first people off the Eurodam of those guests not on a ship tour, so the bus we were on was filled with guests from the Caribbean Princess. Everyone was very nice, except for 1 person in the back of the bus who couldn’t stop loudly complaining about everything! She never stopped! For 2.5 hours complain, complain, complain!

Our first stop the Casibari Rock Formations (I had tried to find these in a rental car once but had to give up so I was happy to finally see them) They reminded me a LITTLE of the Baths of Virgin Gorda. Volcanic rocks that you have climb over and through to reach the top.

IMG_2542.jpg?m=1361469192

DSC_9360.JPG?m=1361555026

DSC_9364.JPG?m=1361555027

DSC_9388.JPG?m=1361555028

DSC_9382.JPG?m=1361555027

Aruba continued:

DSC_9377.JPG?m=1361555027

DSC_9385-915963836.JPG?m=1361555028

Our next stop, Alto Vista Chapel:

DSC_9406.JPG?m=1361555028

IMG_2553.jpg?m=1361469194

DSC_9406.JPG?m=1361555028

Here is where I had a small panic attack, the pulley lanyard combination I use to keep my ship card around my neck broke and just as I was boarding the bus I noticed I only had the lanyard, no little pulley with my ship card attached!!! I immediately begin to quickly run in reverse the paths I think I walked while I was off the bus, just as I was about to give up I see it behind the bus! I must have fallen off JUST as we exited the bus and I went behind to get a picture of the chapel from the distance! I know loosing my ship card isn’t the end of the world, but who wants that hassle at the pier! Alex lost his a few years ago in Honduras, that was “fun,” getting through the gate at the pier and back on the ship.

Aruba Continued:

After a stop at a gas station fill up the bus (which by the way Miss Happy in the back of the bus had to make it known she didn’t pay $20 sit at a gas pump for 10 minutes) we made our way to the California Lighthouse.... It took an enormous amount of will power to not turn around ask her if she preferred to walk back to the ship when the bus ran out diesel!

IMG_2558.jpg?m=1361469196

DSC_9412.JPG?m=1361555028

Overall we enjoyed the tour. It was nice for Alex to finally get to see some of the beauty of Aruba instead of the just the pier area. Hopefully we’ll return to Aruba when the ship has a later all aboard time allowing us to rent a car and explore the island and the beautiful beaches in more detail.

IMG_2571.jpg?m=1361469206

Today’s T-Dance:

IMG_2530.jpg?m=1361469182

“Caribbean Blue”

These are always our favorite! A simple theme (years past have been Red, Orange Crush, Lime Green) and the costumes can be so creative with just a color!

Blue party Continued:

DSC_9421.jpg?m=1361468979

I love the shoes:

IMG_1927.jpg?m=1361558476

IMG_2612-958528294.jpg?m=1361558477

IMG_1935.jpg?m=1361558476

After the Blue Party went down the Queen’s Lounge for the Matchmaker game. The RSVP Cruise Director picks 4 people who signed up in advance. One person sits behind a screen so he can’t see the other three contestants on stage. The cruise director then asks the three contestants various questions and the first person makes a choice based upon how the other three answered the questions. Overall it was a fun and entertaining hour of comedy.

Dinner again in the Lido

Cashetta at 8:30, and the HAL production show at 10:30.

Also at 10:30 was the RSVP Costume contest

IMG_2568.jpg?m=1361558818

Cashetta was fabulous as always, she did some magic and Psychic tricks that quite a few in the audience wondering just how she did them!

At 10:30 I voted for the costume contest out on deck. I’ve always enjoyed seeing the creative costumes that other guests come up with just for this one event. Alex insisted on seeing the production, even after I swore to him we had seen it at least once before. The production show was good, the singers and dancers rearrange some of the words, and moves to “gay it up” a bit than they would normally perform so it did make it entertaining.

Archived