Titanic II to be constructed in China

Happyboating

Here is a working link to the image of the Queen Mary promenade deck which I believe is what London-Calling intended to post.

http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships%20Misc/Onboard/slides/Queen%20Mary%20promenade%20deck-01.jpg

Regards,

John.

Thank you Blue Marble and maybe this link might highlight just how breezy it might get on a Trans Atlantic crossing

Hi London-Calling

I have now found the quote re a 6 day crossing (whew!). If you go to the link on my post #21 and read the actual article - rather than view the videos - third paragraph to the end states:

"Mr Palmer said he is aiming to have Titanic II finished by the latter half of 2016. Upon its completion, the ship will be sailed to England, where it will board passengers and make its six-day maiden voyage across the north Atlantic to New York City."

It's only really the third class which I, personally, feel will be hard to sell but Mr Palmer, himself, seems to think that that will be the most fun place to be.

Personally, I feel that the third class has the potential to be like one of those reality tv programmes where they put a bunch of people together and watch the arguments break out. I guess it'll largely depend on IF the passengers are all segregated and kept within their chosen "class", and it's my understanding that that will be the case, however, I guess that could always be reviewed and revised accordingly.

In any event, as Mr Palmer states, in one of the videos on the same link, if anyone doesn't like it then they don't have to book it!

Hi London Calling,

Unfortunately one of your images fails to load...

Try this, one of the original 'Queen Mary's internal prom.

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/QM1/Shelter_Deck-01.jpg

...but that rendering of the swimming pool looks awful. Is it a drawing for the new ship or a representation of what the old one had?

It is a Titanic II rendering of what her original indoor pool looked like - Pretty typical of various Ocean liners.

when you think of it, all cruise ships have 'classes' of cabin and Cunard 'classes' of dining. However even at the cheap end you do expect room to swing a cat and a private toilet!

Will Mr. Palmer really ban 2nd and 3rd class form using the 1st class public rooms?

Mind you Cunard 'Grill' passengers get a few private spaces of their own, don't they!

While I think balconies are overrated (at least I don´t care for a private balcony on a ship), perhaps the most expensive staterooms could have come enclosed balconies like on the lower decks of QM2.

No private bathrooms in 3rd class - no way anyone but students would accept that. There´s one thing about the third class idea though - it´ll be vastly cheaper than any current fare, likely half price of the cheapest QM2 cabin - rivaling cheaper TA flights, which might make it attractive to a completely different audience who cant dream of sailing QM2 at all.

But the lack of an outside pool and the idea of cramping more than 2400 passengers onto a 45000 tonner, hardly promising.

What remains is the sad fact that its about making business with a largescale tragedy. Not anything I can accept, at least not in this form - I admit I joined one of those lavish Titanic dinner parties in the late 90s when the Cameron movie was the talk of the day.

I was on QM2 last year on the day of the 100th centenary of the Titanic disaster, when all stood up in remembrance when the Captain spoke.

I don't see the need of a balcony on a TA either. As someone who "can't dream of a sailing on QM2" (for the moment anyway), but I'm not sure I'd go for a shared cabin and shared bathroom either. (and I am actually a student :D)

I don't see the need of a balcony on a TA either. As someone who "can't dream of a sailing on QM2" (for the moment anyway), but I'm not sure I'd go for a shared cabin and shared bathroom either. (and I am actually a student :D)

On my first QE2 voyage in May 1969, I had a shared inside. With another male but a stranger still. It went as well as possible with me being 21 and him approximately 45. The Stones Honky Tonk Woman was a brand new song and played very often on the ship's radio station. I don't think he liked it.:eek:

having visited the queen mary in long beach wich had been built two decade after the titanic

the cabins in queen mary were luxurious for the time, but compared to modern cunard ship such as qm2, queen victoria and elizabeth

with this in mind, are they goeing to built the cabin of the titanic 2 exactly like it was in 1912, same size, same equipement and so? or are they goeing to be adapted to present time

you can find titanic 2 info on wikipedia too, i was wondering if they would put the original steam engine and propeller or not, according to wikipedia, they will put diesel engine complete with azimuth thruster and the stabiliser and a bulbous bow

It is truly amazing times we live in. In the first period of recorded history we no longer try to go farther, faster, higher. Concorde gone, nothing better or faster as a replacement (not talking about economics here, just human history--even though, by now there should have been a more economical way to fly supersonic). Air travel is now considerably less comfortable and with only minor fuel savings and no appreciable speed advantage over a Boeing 707 from 1958! So now we want, as you so aptly put it a "half baked replica" of a ship that was, by all accounts, a total failure in its career.:eek: I would prefer a replica of the SS United States if that is all we are good for. As far as an "English Navy" wasn't that under Queen Elizabeth the former??:D

Speaking of the SS UNITED STATES, here's a recent article about the ship and her current condition. http://maritimematters.com/2013/02/s-s-united-states-the-turkish-years-1992-1996-what-might-have-been/

There may be now NEED for a balcony on a TA- but is it not nice to open ones door and have a fresh breeze of seaair in the cabin- even if the later is a bit cold? Well for me a balcony ist a MUST! LOL

Not if there's airconditioning :D

with this in mind, are they goeing to built the cabin of the titanic 2 exactly like it was in 1912, same size, same equipement and so? or are they goeing to be adapted to present time

From what I've read so far I do think they're planning on making the cabins exactly as they were in 1212..

Speaking of the SS UNITED STATES, here's a recent article about the ship and her current condition. http://maritimematters.com/2013/02/s-s-united-states-the-turkish-years-1992-1996-what-might-have-been/

Thanks for a great article on that fine ship. I have had the good luck to have been aboard her but I never sailed on The Big U. Still hoping something positive can be done with her but the finances and logistics are scary. Thanks again.

Local media in Oz reports that the new ship will be an almost complete replica of the original Titanic although obviously with state of the art navigation and safety (!) systems. It will have the 3 segregated classes, no TV, no Internet for passengers, in fact the full 1912 "experience" (apart from the iceberg). It might work as a gimmick for a while but I'm sure the novelty value will quickly pale and Clive Palmer - who plans to sail in 3rd class/steerage BTW - will find himself with a huge white (star?) elephant.

And coming from a superstitious naval family as I do I'd be very wary of a ship named after a doomed predecessor.

Edited by room010

Local media in Oz reports that the new ship will be an almost complete replica of the original Titanic although obviously with state of the art navigation and safety (!) systems. It will have the 3 segregated classes, no TV, no Internet for passengers, in fact the full 1912 "experience" (apart from the iceberg). It might work as a gimmick for a while but I'm sure the novelty value will quickly pale and Clive Palmer - who plans to sail in 3rd class/steerage BTW - will find himself with a huge white (star?) elephant.

And coming from a superstitious naval family as I do I'd be very wary of a ship named after a doomed predecessor.

It is a stupid idea that there will be no TV or Internet service for passengers aboard Titanic II if she is built. Passengers aboard today's ships really do enjoy modern technology such as shipboard internet service. If Clive Palmer is really serious about building Titanic II then he should consider that it is not 1912 anymore and that passengers aboard ship today do enjoy modern technology like TV and Internet. Regards,Jerry

It is a stupid idea that there will be no TV or Internet service for passengers aboard Titanic II if she is built. Passengers aboard today's ships really do enjoy modern technology such as shipboard internet service. If Clive Palmer is really serious about building Titanic II then he should consider that it is not 1912 anymore and that passengers aboard ship today do enjoy modern technology like TV and Internet. Regards,Jerry

Sounds like dress up parties on Halloween. I guess we all get to play act Jack and Rose. Cant see doing that more than once (if that).:eek:

wow, this is how to KILL A DREAM. CYNICAL ,SACRED ,SARCASTIC,

I wonder when we book if they ask our clothing size.... :eek:
Well in my humble opinion clothing size is a personal thing and I don't care to tell a stranger what my size is :eek: If I were to go aboard Titanic II, I would prefer to wear my own dark blue suit on formal nights anyway. Speaking of technology will there be a modern stereo system aboard in the Titanic II's nightclub where ever that might located aboard Titanic II? Or will Mr. Palmer insist on no stereo system aboard Titanic II so the only music available aboard Titanic II will come from live aboard Titanic II Gaelic Storm who were the Irish Steerage Band in James Cameron's Titanic movie. Regards,Jerry Edited by Cruise Liner Fan

If Clive Palmer is really serious about building Titanic II then he should consider that it is not 1912 anymore and that passengers aboard ship today do enjoy modern technology...

There are ship-nuts out there (and techophobes) who would enjoy an fairly original Titanic experience, including dressing up in period costume. However they will probably only fill the first few cruises!

He will need to attract more 'regular' folk if he is to fill his ship week after week. (However will 'regular' folk even be interested in his ship?)

Mr. Palmer will definitely have to water-down some of the 'authenticity'. An outdoor pool is probably essential. Even the steerage cabins will need two lower berths and a private toilet!

When Mr. Palmer realises that Internet and Spa facilities can make big money, he will have a re-think!

Speaking of technology will there be a modern stereo system aboard in the Titanic II's nightclub where ever that might located aboard Titanic II?

Easy, there won't BE a nightclub. This is 1912 remember?