Istanbul tours

we did a private tour in Istanbul and am still ambivalent about it

the main problem was that I felt we were being pushed towards "friends of tour guides" cafes rug making shops market stalls etc

be very clear on what you want from the tour and dont be afraid to put your foot down over any time wasting attempts

Istanbul is one great city.

However, a visit to the bazzar, is always uncomfortable for me, as I always feel I am been done.

very pushy sales pitches, and yes I know one can walk away, but its uncomfortable.

A great city, been there on vacation and also as port of call on ships.

Nice people also.

What are some of your "Can't Miss" sites.

These are among the Can't Miss sites :

Topkapi palace 25TL (u12s free), + another 15TL for the Harem

Hagia Sophia

Entry cost 25 TL

For both of these you can buy tickets in advance (except for the Harem, which you get from the box office once inside the Topkapi palace) from http://www.muze.gov.tr/hagiasophia This worked out well as we went straight in past the long lines. You print out an email with a QR code for each ticket and remember to take it with you

For u12s (free) you don't need a ticket. Our youngster was obviously under 12 and the official at the turnstile waved her through, but we had her passport with us anyway.

The only downside with buying your ticket in advance is that the website makes it clear it is non-refundable so if you don't use it, it's lost. But as 25TL is not a fortune I'd say getting it this way is well worth it - just double check you get the date right.

Blue Mosque

Entry is free and they provide clothing if your shorts don't cover your knees. You can't go in at prayer times, so as the Hagia Sophia and Blue Mosque are almost next to each other go to the mosque first and check your possible entry times (i.e. outside of the 5 prayer periods). That way you will know when to go there and not waste precious time. If you get lucky and can go in straight away, do so and go to the Hagia Sophia afterwards - your ticket there is for the day and does not specify a time. Once inside the mosque we spent about 15 minutes looking round. The tiles are stunning and I would have liked longer here but was mindful of our schedule.

Basilica Cistern

You can't buy your (10 TL) ticket in advance but the queue moves quickly. There are over 50 steps down to the cistern floor. I think this is another 'must-see' as there can't be too much else like it anywhere. It's a one trick pony but a great one, and we spent 15 minutes down there.

Grand Bazaar, Galata Tower (12 TL) & Spice Bazaar

Obviously going to Sultanahmet by taxi is easiest way but the tram is simple and less susceptible to traffic delays. As you leave the port turn right, walk about 200 yards and you'll see the stop. But before you do that ask someone where the nearest machine is to buy the tram tokens (red plastic discs which you use to open the platform gates). Each ride cost 2 TL pp so you'll need 4 pp to go there and back. If you want to go the Grand Bazaar after Sultanahmet you could walk (about a mile) or tram it, in which case you'll need another disc. There is a token machine at Sultanahmet (probably more than one) if you need to top up.

All the best, Tony

We had a private guide thru Sea Song Tours. Not the cheapest, but highly regarded. Used them is Ephesus as well. Never mentioned a shop and we never went to one.

Tony above gave a great run-down of the must see sites. You can see all in a full day private tour including the Grand Bazaar, we did the spice market on our own. If you book private insist on going to the Harem at the Palace. It's extra and usually not included in the base price.

If you need a rest, take the 90 minute harbor boat ride.

We DiY'd - so easy. Must sees are the Topkapi Palace & don't miss the Harem; get there as early as possible as it gets busy. Also Underground Cisterns & Blue Mosque. If you get time, a Bosphorous Cruise is worth doing; it gives you another view of the city & a very relaxing morning or afternoon out. We return this year and are going to do the Agia Sophia & Sulieymane Mosque .

For those who have done the Bosporus cruise, did you just book it yourselves once off the ship or use ship excursion? Are there several to choose from, and if so, which offers the best deal/experience? How much do they cost and do they only take TL (cash) or can we use a credit card? DH wants to do this so I am trying to plan it.

Thanks

ML

For those who have done the Bosporus cruise, did you just book it yourselves once off the ship or use ship excursion? Are there several to choose from, and if so, which offers the best deal/experience? How much do they cost and do they only take TL (cash) or can we use a credit card? DH wants to do this so I am trying to plan it.

Thanks

ML

I am sure you can DIY but we were only there for 1/2 a day on our 2nd day so we booked it via the ship's excursion to ensure we got back in time. We were taken by bus to and from the start point. It was worth doing - we are cruising through the Bosporous this year into the Black Sea so looking forward to doing it on the cruise ship this time!

Can anyone recommend a tourguide in Istanbul? What are some of your "Can't Miss" sites. Stopping for overnight stay from a cruise and really prefer to take a private tour as opposed to the ship tours.

I know the DIY crowd is out in force and I'm sure that Istanbul is a lovely city to do on your own but you did ask specifically for a tour guide recommendation. My partner and I had a 2.5 day pre-cruise tour with Lale Kosagan who was a fantastic guide. From email correspondence Lale and her husband Kagan developed a tour to hit the major hi-lights of the city (Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market) but the great thing was that Lale would adjust the tour depending on what we found interesting.

For instance we mentioned that we wanted to see a bit of modern Istanbul so she took us to the Taksim Square area and down Istiklal Avenue. While visiting Hagia Sophia she noticed both our interest in Iznik tiles. She knew that you couldn't get very close to the tiles in the Blue Mosque so she added the Rustem Pasha Mosque where you can go right up and touch the tiles.

Lale will also skip all shopping unless you specifically ask to see something.

We felt that having a guide was beneficial, though others may disagree.

I know the DIY crowd is out in force and I'm sure that Istanbul is a lovely city to do on your own but you did ask specifically for a tour guide recommendation. My partner and I had a 2.5 day pre-cruise tour with Lale Kosagan who was a fantastic guide. From email correspondence Lale and her husband Kagan developed a tour to hit the major hi-lights of the city (Hagia Sophia, Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Grand Bazaar, Spice Market) but the great thing was that Lale would adjust the tour depending on what we found interesting.

For instance we mentioned that we wanted to see a bit of modern Istanbul so she took us to the Taksim Square area and down Istiklal Avenue. While visiting Hagia Sophia she noticed both our interest in Iznik tiles. She knew that you couldn't get very close to the tiles in the Blue Mosque so she added the Rustem Pasha Mosque where you can go right up and touch the tiles.

Lale will also skip all shopping unless you specifically ask to see something.

We felt that having a guide was beneficial, though others may disagree.

This is great advice--can you provide the email address for this guide??

ML

We have Lale booked for a full day tour on the day before we board the ship this May. We plan to DIY a Bosphorous cruise the day we board since our

ship is going to overnight in Istanbul. Kagan gave us very detailed instructions about how to take a Bosphorous cruise on our own. If anyone

would like his instructions, please email me at jkn528 at att dot net.

Judy

We have Lale booked for a full day tour on the day before we board the ship this May. We plan to DIY a Bosphorous cruise the day we board since our

ship is going to overnight in Istanbul. Kagan gave us very detailed instructions about how to take a Bosphorous cruise on our own. If anyone

would like his instructions, please email me at jkn528 at att dot net.

Judy

Have a wonderful tour Judy. Istanbul is an amazing city!

Where do the ships dock in Istanbul?

Barry

Not sure if all the cruise ships dock here but Seabourn and Celebrity were in the docks in the Taksim area on the European side of Istanbul. I think it's just down the street (South) from the Dolmabahce Palace.

Hope that helps

Not sure if all the cruise ships dock here but Seabourn and Celebrity were in the docks in the Taksim area on the European side of Istanbul. I think it's just down the street (South) from the Dolmabahce Palace.

Hope that helps

Yes, that is the normal cruise port for just about all the ships. It is located about a 20 min walk from the Galata Bridge which takes you to the downtown area. Its pretty easy to walk out of the port and just grab the local tram line into town (a lot faster then most shuttles).

Hank

Archived