Question Re Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

Mikeandme

Why don't you call the hotels direct and ask them exactly what they provide, cost of a taxi to get there, etc.? That's what I would do.

That's good advice, however, can we rely on the answers any hotel will give. Obviously, they want the business. I have called SI hotel directly and was told I should also call back several weeks before arrival, confirming our arrival time as well as specifically requesting shuttle service time next day to port. However, posts about neighborhoods of hotels, different rates offered by taxi service or private limos, and possible long wait time for shared van shuttles, creates an uneasy feeling. Just wanted to hear some first-hand recent experience from cruisers flying in ahead of time. Guess, we may just have to take our chances and hope the hotel stands by their proposed service. Also, just thought it might be a good idea to see if there are others on our roll call also staying at the same location -- safety in numbers?

That's good advice, however, can we rely on the answers any hotel will give. Obviously, they want the business. I have called SI hotel directly and was told I should also call back several weeks before arrival, confirming our arrival time as well as specifically requesting shuttle service time next day to port. However, posts about neighborhoods of hotels, different rates offered by taxi service or private limos, and possible long wait time for shared van shuttles, creates an uneasy feeling. Just wanted to hear some first-hand recent experience from cruisers flying in ahead of time. Guess, we may just have to take our chances and hope the hotel stands by their proposed service. Also, just thought it might be a good idea to see if there are others on our roll call also staying at the same location -- safety in numbers?

I stayed in Elizabeth, at the Courtyard By Marriott. Friends stayed

at Country Inn and Suites, also in Elizabeth. They are located in the

same cul de sac.....as I mentioned earlier I would recommend either

place. Also, I agree with you and getting answers on here can be

very helpful:) Also, if you check the "East Coast Forum" there

are some wonderful people on that board too:) Locals (like Don)

who are always trying to give good solid advice:)

Well, if you had all those problems, you certainly were not sailing on Celebrity as Summit doesn't arrive in Bayonne until late April and leaves in early October. The bus ride is only about a couple of short blocks, and is "much adu about nothing."

I was on the Silhouette and it left in November. The Febuary departure was another cruise line from Norfolk.

IMO it is not the ride itself, but the waiting in line to get one.

Thanks for info about SI hotels, but can you be more specific. We are flying in, and we are active seniors but we don't want to deal with unnecessary stress. So, if you fly in would there possibly be a problem with the shuttle service that's offered and included in the rate by Hampton Inn (pick-up from airport and to pier)? Trying to make the best decision about staying in Elizabeth or Staten Island hotels. Thanks I really appreciate the first-hand advice on these boards.

I am also interested in determining whether an airport hotel in Elizabeth or one of the Staten Island Hotels that offer shuttle service to the pier would be best for our needs. We are flying in so will not have a car and don't plan to rent one. Will appreciate opinions and any tips. Thanks.

The hotels that are in Elizabeth such as the aforementioned Country Inn & Suites have an included shuttle from the airport, but they charge you 35.00 pp for round trip transportation to the Bayonne cruise port. There are also a Marriott Courtyard and a Marriott Residence Inn in the same complex. The Staten Island hotels consist of a Hampton Inn and a Hilton Garden Inn that are right next door to each other. They share a shuttle from the hotel to the cruiseport. I believe they offer a shuttle to the Newark airport, but you would have to call to make sure. They are actually located closer to the cruiseport and those two hotels are the ONLY hotels in the area that have a free shuttle to the cruiseport, but you do have to pay the 13.00 toll into Staten Island to stay there if you're driving. If you are staying at the Hampton and driving, you can park there for free and it has been reported on the NJ boards that you do not need to purchase the cruise package to obtain the free parking.

I would call the Hampton and confirm whether or not they have a free shuttle pick up from the newark airport to their hotel and how often it runs. If it seems to be a hassle, the best bet would be to book a room at the Country Inn & Suites in Elizabeth and then you would have two options for transportation to the pier. One, if there are only two of you, take the 35 pp round trip shuttle they provide, or you can possibly connect with other people from your roll call and get a private car service to get you there for a cheaper rate. Details would be located in the NJ boards thread about specific car services and contact information.

So would it be safe to walk from the Courtyard to the outlet mall in the evening?

Glimmer Realty did an excellent job of remediating the landfill which the hotels and Jersey Gardens are built on. The hotels are very nice and convenient for a pre-cruise Stay. The area

Is located in the Port Section of Elizabeth which has problems with petty crime. I would say

NO to walking to the Jersey Gardens after Dark. If leaving your vehicle on the hotel premises

For an extended period of time (during your voyage) I would strongly advise to remove all

Valuables. I'M sure that folks who had visited in the past had no problems, consider yourself

Lucky. I'M intimately familiar with the area and just trying to lend some helpful advice :)

Why don't you call the hotels direct and ask them exactly what they provide, cost of a taxi to get there, etc.? That's what I would do.

FYI: Called Hampton Inn on Staten Island and made reservation for 1 night precruise. Was told to call again 30 days before arrival to schedule pick-up at EWR airport and was assured there would be no problem with morning or afternoon arrival, no guarantees about late night arrival however. Fingers crossed all goes well, recommendations for this and Hilton Garden Inn have been good as well.

Any idea of the price difference bw parking at cape liberty vs. staying at country inn studies in Elizabeth nj and taking shuttle?

Cape Liberty parking is 19/day, so if your cruise is only 7 days in length, then it's cheaper than the hotel and shuttle. If your cruise is 10 days, then of course the numbers are closer.

Archived