Question Re Cape Liberty Cruise Terminal

Mikeandme

The pull up and drop off are a little bit of a mess. I arrived like 10:30 people still getting off the ship. Once I was dropped off and luggage checked was in the terminal. Was directed where to go since they werent checking people in yet. Went quickly though, once checking in you were directed to a waiting area to wait for a bus to take you to the ship. Never had that happen before. People we shoving to get on the bus. Come on like there is only 1 bus!!!! then onto the ship. All in all pretty easy.

Hope this helps.

It is arguably the worst embarkation port that Celebrity uses, at least in the US. My advice is to expect little and just go with the flow....rather than getting aggravated. Difficult to get to, nothing (no shops/etc) at the port, bus to the ship, risk of getting paint on your car if you park at the Pier and so on.....but the cruise is worth it.

The pull up and drop off are a little bit of a mess. I arrived like 10:30 people still getting off the ship. Once I was dropped off and luggage checked was in the terminal. Was directed where to go since they werent checking people in yet. Went quickly though, once checking in you were directed to a waiting area to wait for a bus to take you to the ship. Never had that happen before. People we shoving to get on the bus. Come on like there is only 1 bus!!!! then onto the ship. All in all pretty easy.

Hope this helps.

Doesn't sound "pretty easy," but I hope you're right!:eek:

It is arguably the worst embarkation port that Celebrity uses, at least in the US. My advice is to expect little and just go with the flow....rather than getting aggravated. Difficult to get to, nothing (no shops/etc) at the port, bus to the ship, risk of getting paint on your car if you park at the Pier and so on.....but the cruise is worth it.
Sounds delightful.:rolleyes:

I didn't find Cape Liberty all that bad, and I'm disabled and use a scooter. We arrived at the terminal at 1:20pm and walked right through the nearly empty terminal and checked in quickly. The bus was sitting there waiting for us and we left right away for the ship. Personally, I found it much easier and less insane than FLL.

Disembarkation was also easier than at FLL. We were off the ship by 8:50, and through all the checks by 9:15, again much better than FLL.

Maybe the secret is to not arrive at 11 am and just wait for a while for all the pushers and shovers are on board?

The later you go the worse it gets.....truly the worst port we have ever been to...

It's just something you have to suffer through for the pleasure of a great cruise...& for us it saves the flight & pre-cruise hotel to Fla.

BTW: My quip about finding paint on your car was not an idle comment. Not sure if it's still a problem, but for a while folks were parking their car for a cruise at the Bayonne pier and coming back to find that they had spots of paint all over their car from nearby spray painting.

BTW: My quip about finding paint on your car was not an idle comment. Not sure if it's still a problem, but for a while folks were parking their car for a cruise at the Bayonne pier and coming back to find that they had spots of paint all over their car from nearby spray painting.

The paint thing was a problem for the first couple of years but it appears to have been taken care of. I didn't think the boarding was bad but I was one of the first there and got on the first bus so it was pretty harmless. The good think is that they ride is so short and there are lots of buses so it goes pretty quick.

The paint issue occured in the Fall of 2009. The Bayonne Dry Dock made good for the repairs.

I was a victim of the paint overspray back in 2006. Got a nice detailing job on my car. No issues with paint overspray in 2011/2012. Cruising out of there in 2014 once again. Fingers crossed for more overspray. My car could certainly use another good detailing. :rolleyes:

Love Bayonne. Can drive there, park, bring my wife's kitchen sink, yada, yada, yada. Had no problems with embark/debark. Don't make it sound like sequestration. :eek:

I was a victim of the paint overspray back in 2006. Got a nice detailing job on my car. No issues with paint overspray in 2011/2012. Cruising out of there in 2014 once again. Fingers crossed for more overspray. My car could certainly use another good detailing. :rolleyes:

Love Bayonne. Can drive there, park, bring my wife's kitchen sink, yada, yada, yada. Had no problems with embark/debark. Don't make it sound like sequestration. :eek:

Yeah, we also Love Bayonne over NY, Brooklyn, Baltimore. Been cruising out of there since they opened in May 2004.

What's the logistics on this port? Where do we fly into? Where do you stay when you come in early? I haven't looked at a map but assuming NYC?

Thanks.

We sailed the Summit out of Bayonne last September and while embarkation wasn't perfect (the bussing to the ship thing is a nuisance), it wasn't horrid. We flew into Newark on departure day and took a quick & easy cab ride to the port. We got there right around noon so had to wait maybe 30 minutes while they processed all the people who got there before us, but once on/off the bus and on the ship, it was smooth sailing (ha) for the rest of the week.

What's the logistics on this port? Where do we fly into? Where do you stay when you come in early? I haven't looked at a map but assuming NYC?

Thanks.

If you are coming in to spend a few days in New York pre-cruise, you should probably fly into Laguardia. If you are just flying in the day before the cruise, then use Newark Liberty and spend the night at one of the airport hotels. It's just a short taxi ride to the port.

I think Celebrity uses one of the hotels near the Newark train station. There are a lot of great Portuguese restaurants in the area.

Definitely fly out of Newark Liberty after the cruise.

There is a thread about Port Liberty on the US ports message board, east coast ports, which includes a detailed map of the port, driving directions, suggestions for places to stay, current prices, just about everything you need to know. Most people recommend staying in Elizabeth, NJ, near the Newark airport.

Kathy

If you are coming in to spend a few days in New York pre-cruise, you should probably fly into Laguardia. If you are just flying in the day before the cruise, then use Newark Liberty and spend the night at one of the airport hotels. It's just a short taxi ride to the port.

I think Celebrity uses one of the hotels near the Newark train station. There are a lot of great Portuguese restaurants in the area.

Definitely fly out of Newark Liberty after the cruise.

Thanks Wine-O, probably just the day before as it's a long cruise already.

There is a thread about Port Liberty on the US ports message board, east coast ports, which includes a detailed map of the port, driving directions, suggestions for places to stay, current prices, just about everything you need to know. Most people recommend staying in Elizabeth, NJ, near the Newark airport.

Kathy

Thanks for the info, I've been reading that and am about 1/2 through, good information. Fortunately I've got lots of time to plan this trip. I've got a couple of others in front of it.

We are cruising out of Bayonne in May. We love this port. Easy drive down from Canada. We stayed last year at the Hilton Garden on Statten Island. They have a cruise and stay package. We left our car there for 10 days, no problem, no fee. Plus they have a shuttle to the port. Planning on staying there again this May.

Thanks Wine-O, probably just the day before as it's a long cruise already.

Thanks for the info, I've been reading that and am about 1/2 through, good information. Fortunately I've got lots of time to plan this trip. I've got a couple of others in front of it.

ORV,

I see you are on the Summit on Oct. 5, Canada/New England. So are we.:D When you get time, hop on over and join the roll call if you haven't already done so. We have a very nice group. (I'm assuming you mean 2013 rather than 2014)

Kathy

Archived