A one week cruise with only a carry on?

mdcrim

I pack along the same lines as SadieN I choose a color palette, like black or brown, then add colors that go with that. I pack a pair of slacks, capris, 2 pair of shorts. I wear my jeans while enroute, so I just swap tops around, I usually buy a t shirt as a sovenier. I do take 2 swim suits, so one can dry while I wear the other one. Pack small items inside other items, I take a insulated mug for my coffee, small items go in there, as well as inside shoes. You can do, go and enjoy your cruise :D

Next flight we are carrying on our clothes. We will be checking in a suitcase. DD craves certain foods (tortillas, sharp orange cheddar cheese, ketchup, root beer, marshmallows etc) that she cannot get where she is studying. If it goes missing she will be disappointed but not as mad as I would be if I had to hem pants on vacation.

[quote name='jamessemaj']I know it can be done, but my main thought reading this is the horror of flying and loading and unloading the sky tube, and all of the junk carried on board, and all of the hassles finding place for it, and all of the absurdity of it. I would prefer all the junk not be allowed, but checked.

Do it, carry it all into the main cabin. I won't say a word, but know that I will be cursing you in my mind. I also know that I hold a minority view; even the brilliant geniuses who run the airlines have created this added horror of air travel.[/QUOTE]

You won't be cursing me, I'll have my "junk" (no room for junk when I'm going three weeks in a 20" roll aboard) already stowed above my first or business class seat and be enjoying a pre-flight cocktail long before most people even come down the jetway. On my last long haul flight there were empty overhead bins in Envoy, even after everyone stowed their carry on bags.

[quote name='ducklite']You won't be cursing me, I'll have my "junk" (no room for junk when I'm going three weeks in a 20" roll aboard) already stowed above my first or business class seat and be enjoying a pre-flight cocktail long before most people even come down the jetway. On my last long haul flight there were empty overhead bins in Envoy, even after everyone stowed their carry on bags.[/QUOTE]

I can only say that I envy you. Moving from the goat pen to the luxury up front is something that would severely limit my travels. I do sometimes do that when there is a bargain, but usually the price from the back to the front is colossal. I only wish there were something between, and economy plus doesn't do it. I would pay double usual economy fare for some comfort, but not 10 times or more the price as you do.

I can't even imagine doing any cruise with just a carry-on. Where would I put my shoes? :eek: I have down-scaled to one large bag and one rolling carry-on plus a large back pack. That's been driven by being gouged, er..charged for checking bags.
I also can't imagine arriving the day of the cruise. Did that with first couple of cruises with almost disastrous results, so now we relax, fly in the day before and not worry about flight delays and missing the ship.

[quote name='mdcrim']I wanted to get opinions on whether it's possible to take a week long cruise with only a carry on size rolling suitcase each. We are flying in the day of the cruise and I am terrified a checked bag will be lost in transit. We are two adults and an 11 year old. Has anyone else managed to cram in enough stuff for a week in a carry on size bag? We don't do the formal nights so we don't need any formal clothes. The cruise is in March leaving out of Puerto Rico and visiting the Southern Carribean.[/QUOTE]

It can be done. We did 11 days with only a carry on suitcase and your personal item (backpack). We had 4 of us travelling. Two adults and two kids ages 11 and 9. We went dress casual for all dinners even to the formal ones. Don't forget that you could take advantage of the laundry service on board depending on the ship. We have not checked luggage in the last 2 years and love it.

[quote name='jamessemaj']I can only say that I envy you. Moving from the goat pen to the luxury up front is something that would severely limit my travels. I do sometimes do that when there is a bargain, but usually the price from the back to the front is colossal. I only wish there were something between, and economy plus doesn't do it. I would pay double usual economy fare for some comfort, but not 10 times or more the price as you do.[/QUOTE]

I don't pay. I fly enough that I get unlimited free upgrades by being loyal to my carrier of choice.

My husband wears his sports jacket on the plane, and we carefully coordinate his clothing so he can assemble a "suit" with the jacket, a pair of dress slacks, a dress shirt and tie, and the same shoes that he'll wear to all the dinners. (The shoes, not the rest of the outfit.)

For those checking luggage there are a few things you can do reduce the chances of your bags being lost or misplaced and steps to take if it is. Smart Traveler has an article on this subject and it is stuff I have been
doing for years. I not only have a luggage tag service that is mentioned in this article that has a tracking number and I also have contact information on my personal luggage tag and in my bag that is specific for that trip. I also have enough clothing in my carry on to last a cruise if needed.

I also don't think it an advantage not to take a cab. It is my belief that dragging or carrying your luggage especially in a foreign place makes me more venerable to theft. I believe would be thieves know that people in subways, busses, or on the street hulling luggage know that you are carrying all your important document and funds. So even if it cost more I would take a cab regardless.

One other point on DW last trip she had only a carry on but had to get it gated checked which is not uncommon. The only problem was that the airline forgot to load it. Luckily it was on the return trip and the airline delivered it the next day.

Shak

[URL]http://www.smartertravel.com/photo-galleries/editorial/seven-ways-to-prevent-lost-luggage.html?id=282&max_photos=7[/URL]

[quote name='jamessemaj']I know it can be done, but my main thought reading this is the horror of flying and loading and unloading the sky tube, and all of the junk carried on board, and all of the hassles finding place for it, and all of the absurdity of it. I would prefer all the junk not be allowed, but checked.

Do it, carry it all into the main cabin. I won't say a word, but know that I will be cursing you in my mind. I also know that I hold a minority view; even the brilliant geniuses who run the airlines have created this added horror of air travel.[/quote][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]LOL! That is exactly what a certain member of our family used to say.

That was back in the days before [B][I]his[/I][/B] checked luggage did not show up at baggage claim and the next morning he needed to put back on the same grungy clothes he had worn on the long plane trip the day before -- ugh!

That incident was all it took for him to change his opinion.
On all future trips after that, he carried on as much as possible a[SIZE=3]nd never again complained[SIZE=3] about waiting a few e[SIZE=3]xtra minutes when boarding for people to stow the[SIZE=3]ir carry-on bags.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

For me it would have to be resounding NO!;)

Carry on is very restricted by airlines such as Virgin, so it would be a REAL struggle to pack for a weeks cruise with only 6 kg of luggage.

Anyway, I like wearing different shoes, being able to change outfits, and to have clean clothes every day, and clean 'undies' twice a day - just like at home. So I would not able to manage with a carry on bag only. :rolleyes:

Am amazed that so many people can - although having flown on US carriers we are always astonished at the size of bags that get heaved into the lockers. Passengers push and shove these huge bags until it looks like they might end up going through the wall!:D

I do agree that the most stressful thing about flying across the Atlantic is worrying about whether our luggage will follow us, especially when we have to change flights.

But until they allow us 23 kg of carry on luggage I will just have to cross my fingers and hope our suitcases arrive.

Mdcrim,
Yes you can. Suggestions: Buy clothes if need be at a Port-o-call. Does your Cruiseship have a Laundromat? Know your Air Carrier's Max dimensions for Carry-on...as they differ, and remember you may get a large Carry-on 'Gate Checked' to baggage compartment. A Credit Card, cash and a few 'must have' items can get you round the world, as they sell everything everywhere nowadays. I've done it. Locomotiveman Tom

[quote name='varoo'][FONT=Arial][SIZE=2][FONT=Tahoma][SIZE=3]LOL! That is exactly what a certain member of our family used to say.

That was back in the days before [B][I]his[/I][/B] checked luggage did not show up at baggage claim and the next morning he needed to put back on the same grungy clothes he had worn on the long plane trip the day before -- ugh!

That incident was all it took for him to change his opinion.
On all future trips after that, he carried on as much as possible a[SIZE=3]nd never again complained[SIZE=3] about waiting a few e[SIZE=3]xtra minutes when boarding for people to stow the[SIZE=3]ir carry-on bags.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

I understand, but what you are saying is that we must endure further inconvenience to ensure that we receive our belongings at the end of the flight.

My point is simply to emphasize that air travel has fallen into the pits and the baggage issue and bringing it into the cabin are just further conditions created by the idiots who run the industry. If I could avoid flying altogether I would. In the meantime, I check my bags. The greatest chance of the bag not following me is due to short connections, and I am always aware of that.

I guess my main point is to rue the airline industry rather than those who do their best to deal with the hellish experience of air travel. Another person responded to me that in first class they had no problems. That gets into another aspect of the horrors of the industry, and there is no end to the horrors.

We usually drive to our ports, but we did a 7 night Alaska with mostly carry on luggage. With the four of us we checked on rolling garment bag that carried my husbands suit and my two boys dress clothes (11 and 17) and the shoes that are rather large for teenage boys and husband ;). We even then took the light rail in Seattle to downtown and walked to our hotel.

We have learned it is ok to wear things several times. My oldest son has backpacked for a week at a time in the New Mexico mountains (not only carrying his clothes, but food, tent and rain gear) so we have become excellent compact packers. Each of us also had a personal bag, well I should say my two boys did. My husband just made me carry his extras. Our carry on bags are from Land's End and convert to backpacks. We just slung them on our backs and pulled our rolling garment bag.

Instead of packing a dress I packed very nice dress pants which I wore every night to dinner and then on formal night had a very sparkly top. We actually had another family of four with us who did the same thing.

Our first cruise was with Disney, and I thought I needed something different for each of us each day. Was that a mistake! We spent most of our last evening trying to pack up, when all of the fun last night activities were happening. I swore then and there never again!

We always travel that way, no matter how long a trip. Does take some planning and willingness to follow through. As mentioned, shoes can be an issue but can be managed. On a plane, wear the bulkier items, especially shoes that take up most space. For something a little "dressier" than the daily casual clothes, I take a simple pair of black "silky, loose style" pants and a colorful top. Wear either flats or sandals for that. My husband takes a black silk shirt and a tie for his "dress up" if needed. We do not use the ship laundry service but wash items by hand and hang to dry. Having a couple of fashionable scarves (take up very little space) adds to an outfit. Instead of bringing more than one, buy a spare while at a port stop. So many at good prices and a momento of the trip.

The one time I checked my suitcase on a JFK-Barcelona direct flight, I arrived and the suitcase traveled to Mexico. Didn't see it until half way through the cruise. In spite of that, I managed with a few items purchased in the ship store. Just part of the travel adventure.

Most important is to HAVE FUN on your cruise. Don't need many clothing changes for that!:)

Archived