Pronunciation of Caribbean

Syllabification: (Car·ib·be·an)

Pronunciation: /ˌkarəˈbēən, kəˈribēən/

There are two possible pronunciations of the word Caribbean, and both are used widely and acceptably in the US. In the Caribbean itself, the preferred pronunciation puts the stress on the -rib-. In Britain, speakers more often put the stress on the -be-, although in recent years, the other pronunciation has gained ground in Britain as the more ‘up-to-date’ and, to some, the more ‘correct’ pronunciation.

From Oxford Dictionaries :)

Whichever way you say it, it is a beautiful part of the world! Wish I was there right now instead of rainy cold Canberra!

If you are cold in the Summer, I dont think I would want to be there in Winter

Whichever way you say it, it is a beautiful part of the world! Wish I was there right now instead of rainy cold Canberra!

Canberra is a beautiful city, and I would think the two cool days you have experienced would have been a welcome relief after the hottest summer in years.

OP -if you are Australian, Caribbean is pronounced

Carribee (like wallaby) followed by 'un'

What is the correct way of saying Caribbean? Living in Australia, I've heard many variations of this - Car-ree-bee-an and Car-rib-bean.

I prononce it the same way that I pronounce it when placing the word "Royal" in the front of it; as in, Royal Caribbean.

Let's see....I just plowed over a foot of snow from the driveway, and it's a whopping 17 degrees out......I pronounce it....HEAVEN ! 57 days till the Freedom, but whose counting.

Maybe you need to move south, say LOUISIANA!

In Britain its nearly always pronounced with the emphasis on the BE, if you phone the UK office that's how they refer to it too.

We've also noticed that on cruises dominated by British passengers even the CD has used the British pronunciation, whereas the same CD will use the US pronunciation on US cruises.

I don't think there is a right or wrong way.

Julie

It's interesting to note that the 'English' spelling is with 1 'b', whilst the 'American' spelling is with 2 'b's.

RCL is spelt with 2'b's, therefore, even as an 'English' speaker I pronounce it as 'American' as that is how it is spelt in the compny name. Whereas, if I'm speaking about the geograhic area of the 'caribean' I use the English pronunciation! If that makes sense? :D

MP.

Archived