Question about Upgrades/Changing Cabins

sparkins_mob

Hi there!

I've been reading a lot of different threads but I'm not sure I'm completely clear about how it works if you want to change cabins after you have booked.

From what I understand, if you book your cabin and the price drops before your final payment, you can upgrade to a higher cabin and just pay the difference in price. In this case, do you get to keep the OBC etc that you may have gotten when you first booked?

Can you change to another cabin of the same class to get the new lower price? Or are locked in to paying at least the original price that you first booked? For example, if I book a 2B and the price later drops by $200. Can I change to a different 2B to take advantage of the price drop, or do I have to completely cancel and re-book (thereby losing any perks I may have had).

What happens if I book a 2B, and a price drop happens and now a 1C is cheaper than what I originally paid? Can I upgrade to the 1C even though it is now less expensive?

Similarly, with specialty restaurants, if I pre-book for the 1st night and get the 20% off deal that I've seen people talking about, but then I get on board and they're actually offering 2-for-1 or something, can I take advantage of the new deal, or am I locked in with the 20% off deal that I booked with?

Thanks everyone!

If it's before final payments you can make all the changes you like if there is a price drop and realize the savings. You don't have to upgrade.

After final payment if there is a price drop the only way you can take advantage is if paid less than or the same as that lowered price and you upgrade to the newer lower price cabin paying any difference in price

If there is a price drop on an cabin above yours after final payment and it's less that what you paid, you cannot move us to that lower priced category.

Good Luck

Hi there!

I've been reading a lot of different threads but I'm not sure I'm completely clear about how it works if you want to change cabins after you have booked.

From what I understand, if you book your cabin and the price drops before your final payment, you can upgrade to a higher cabin and just pay the difference in price. In this case, do you get to keep the OBC etc that you may have gotten when you first booked? YES

Can you change to another cabin of the same class to get the new lower price? Or are locked in to paying at least the original price that you first booked? For example, if I book a 2B and the price later drops by $200. Can I change to a different 2B to take advantage of the price drop, or do I have to completely cancel and re-book (thereby losing any perks I may have had). Yes yoiu can change if there is an available cabin. You do not have to re-book

What happens if I book a 2B, and a price drop happens and now a 1C is cheaper than what I originally paid? Can I upgrade to the 1C even though it is now less expensive? Yes, if there is an available cabin

Similarly, with specialty restaurants, if I pre-book for the 1st night and get the 20% off deal that I've seen people talking about, but then I get on board and they're actually offering 2-for-1 or something, can I take advantage of the new deal, or am I locked in with the 20% off deal that I booked with? Not sure-- I refuse to use the sepcialty restaurants-- it's "ocean robbery"

Thanks everyone!

yes you can switch to different cabins/categories prior to final payment if one is available. You should be able to retain your OBC and perks. After final payment you'd lose your money!!!

As far as specialty restaurants, I boycott them as "ocean robbery" but I believe you can cancel and re-book onboard. someone who uses them can respond.

If the price of your cabin drops before final payment, you can request the lower fare without having to move at all. AFTER final payment, you cannot request to be refared, but you can 'upgrade' to the category that now matches your original fare, as long as the new fare is not for new bookings only. EM

If it's before final payments you can make all the changes you like if there is a price drop and realize the savings. You don't have to upgrade.

After final payment if there is a price drop the only way you can take advantage is if paid less than or the same as that lowered price and you upgrade to the newer lower price cabin paying any difference in price

If there is a price drop on an cabin above yours after final payment and it's less that what you paid, you cannot move us to that lower priced category.

Good Luck

I disagree with your last sentence. If there is a price drop on a cabin above yours after final payment and it's less that what you paid, you can move to the better cabin category, you just do not receive any credit for the difference between your original price and the lower price of the cabin in the higher category. We booked ocean view on a cruise and after the final payment Veranda 1B and 1C categories were less than what we had paid for the ocean view. We were moved to ocean view but received no credit for the price of our new Veranda cabin being lowered than what we had paid for Ocean View. I was nonetheless very pleased with the upgrade.

Well, as I've recently done this, both before and after final payment, I'll chime in with my experience.

After final payment, we upgraded to a different cabin, paid the minor difference, and kept all the OBC we had from our original booking.

Before final payment, we upgraded to a different cabin, paid the difference, and kept all the OBC we had from our original booking.

So, just make sure your TA knows what he/she is doing or be very clear with Celebrity that the benefits attached to your original booking are to move with you.

About a.month after we made final payment we heard through our roll call about big.rate drops after checking we were able to upgrade from a regular balcony cabin to AQ. There was a difference of $69. The AQ cabin being cheaper, we did not get a refund (nor did we expect one) Celebrity considered it a comp upgrade. We did loose any of our original perks.

Bev

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2

This thread is very interesting....

1) if the price drops, you may be able to keep the perks offered by Celebrity, however any perks offered by your TA may change....after all they come from their commission on the fare you actually pay.

2) It's my understanding, irrespective of the comments above, that Celebrity's policy (whether or not they follow it) is that after final payment, you may take advantage of any offer (that isn't for new bookings only) only if the cost of the new cabin is at least $1 more than what you have paid. If a higher category becomes available for the exact same price as you paid (or less), Celebrity will refuse to make the change. I had a Celebrity VP tell my TA (one of their largest) and me that personally....because it happened. (yes, ultimately sanity hit and we worked it out...but that is their formal policy).

3) If you change cabins after final payment, the charge for the change will be the difference between what you paid and the price of the new cabin....NOT the price they are charging for your original cabin at the time you are making the change. If you paid $1000 and the current price of that cabin is $1200...and the new cabin you are changing to is $1500, then your cost to upgrade will be $500 NOT $300.

Specialty Dining: We have booked meals in advance and paid for them on our Credit Card (as required)...then when on the ship, we bought the three restaurant package instead. They credited our on board account with the difference in price and we kept the same reservations. I have no experience with the 20% off offer or any other offer.

This thread is very interesting....

2) It's my understanding, irrespective of the comments above, that Celebrity's policy (whether or not they follow it) is that after final payment, you may take advantage of any offer (that isn't for new bookings only) only if the cost of the new cabin is at least $1 more than what you have paid. If a higher category becomes available for the exact same price as you paid (or less), Celebrity will refuse to make the change. I had a Celebrity VP tell my TA (one of their largest) and me that personally....because it happened. (yes, ultimately sanity hit and we worked it out...but that is their formal policy).

I have not found the rule you stated in #2 above to be true. Both on an upcoming Celebrity cruise and on 2 past Azamara cruises (which very much have the same rules as Celebrity regarding bookings), when prices dropped (after I had made full payment), I was able to upgrade to a higher category of cabin, the price of which was lower than the price I had originally paid and I paid no additional fee nor did I receive a refund for the difference between the original lesser category cabin and the subsequent low priced, higher category cabin. I will say all 3 requests were within days of making my final payment if that makes any differences.

I have not found the rule you stated in #2 above to be true. Both on an upcoming Celebrity cruise and on 2 past Azamara cruises (which very much have the same rules as Celebrity regarding bookings), when prices dropped (after I had made full payment), I was able to upgrade to a higher category of cabin, the price of which was lower than the price I had originally paid and I paid no additional fee nor did I receive a refund for the difference between the original lesser category cabin and the subsequent low priced, higher category cabin. I will say all 3 requests were within days of making my final payment if that makes any differences.

I have no idea how you did that because it is counter to their policy....however, as we all know, Celebrity policies are often not followed.

We just did an upgrade yesterday, after final booking. We tried to upgrade from an inside on deck two to an inside on deck nine. However, since the price of the inside on deck nine was actually $20 less than what we paid, we were not allowed to upgrade. We were able to upgrade to an oceanview on deck three for $60 more total. Just paid over the phone with a credit card.

My advice, check price drops DAILY! That upgrade which cost us $60 yesterday would cost us $590 today - for the cabin two doors away from what we upgraded to yesterday. The price drop was only there yesterday, on a Sunday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

If you change cabins after final payment, the charge for the change will be the difference between what you paid and the price of the new cabin....NOT the price they are charging for your original cabin at the time you are making the change. If you paid $1000 and the current price of that cabin is $1200...and the new cabin you are changing to is $1500, then your cost to upgrade will be $500 NOT $300.

That was not the case on the two upgrades we just did. Actually, the celebrity suite we released back into inventory is selling for more than we paid for the royal suite. Go figure.

I sailed on Summit in 2010, booked an inside at a good solo military rate for the repo from NJ to SJU. Then added the following 7 day cruise. Both were booked after final payment. Price drops on second leg allowed me to upgrade from inside to Sweet 16 for $80 total. Price drop on repo - OV was less than I paid for inside, but I was allowed to move. EM

I have no idea how you did that because it is counter to their policy....however, as we all know, Celebrity policies are often not followed.

I asked very nicely if it were possible, without any expectation, simply stating it would make the cruise even more wonderful than anticipated. I can't say that I had any further magical upgrade incantations.

Leaving in a few days in a 1B Veranda to which we upgraded from an Oceanview. Orig price on the OV was higher than the final price on the 1B. -X- did the upgrade without the slightest hesitation months after final payment had been made. That said, in the old days they gave you money back as OBC too!

... Cal

I have experienced it both ways. I have had agents who are good at assisting you with changes keeping perks. I have also had agents who insist that you loose the perks if you change for any reason. Celebrity has lots of agents....some are helpful, some are not. Most try to be helpful. What I find most annoying when booking directly with X is that one agent makes promises and another says that there is no record of the items promised. After you pay your deposit and final payment, you cannot get any service from the original agent.

I have experienced it both ways. I have had agents who are good at assisting you with changes keeping perks. I have also had agents who insist that you loose the perks if you change for any reason. Celebrity has lots of agents....some are helpful, some are not. Most try to be helpful. What I find most annoying when booking directly with X is that one agent makes promises and another says that there is no record of the items promised. After you pay your deposit and final payment, you cannot get any service from the original agent.

I have been in the same situation with agents on another line. Now if they promise me something, I have them notate it in my record with their name so the next agent can follow along.

That's why I use a travel agent. Before we finalized the upgrades, she verified that the OBC originally associated with our booking was still there. She could see it on her screen and we could see it on the receipt she e-mailed us right after the upgrade.

Archived