Are taxes and fees no longer included in fares??

love2cruisegal

We have been checking Caribbean cruises for next winter and the taxes and fees have been included in fares for awhile. However, today noticed that they no longer are included. That must explain why we noticed the price drop....no longer included fees.

So when did this happen and why?? Anyone know?

Thanks.

I just checked a cruise & it was clearly stated "Taxes & fees included!". When I checked the Caribbean cruises it said that taxes & fees were additional. Maybe it's an issue with their website because I've seen it both included & additional.

I just checked a cruise & it was clearly stated "Taxes & fees included!". When I checked the Caribbean cruises it said that taxes & fees were additional. Maybe it's an issue with their website because I've seen it both included & additional.

I think I will call tomorrow and ask about it. I didn't have time to deal with it today.

Marie

Did a search for an Alaska cruise for this year and it clearly states:

Fare above includes

Gov't Fees & Taxes

Did a search for the Caribbean for Feb 2014 and it clearly states:

Gov't Fees & Taxes additional: $150.00*

Fare Currency: USD

I really like it when all the fees are included. So much easier in my opinion.

I am so glad this came up here. I emailed my TA last night because I thought there was a price drop. I have a printed page for our cruise that states gov't fees and taxes included. I did not realize the new web page did not include them. Wasted time for TA and me.

Me thinks something fishy is going on here :confused:. Princess had been heavily advertising that their prices INCLUDED all taxes and fees yet their own web site now is showing prices without the taxes and fees. what happened? I almost called my TA to get a lower price for my cabin or pay $20 more for a mini-suite but, alas, now I see that the prices don't include taxes and fees like they did just last week.

It sure fooled me! There's a Mexico cruise I have been looking at, and I "saved" it in my Personalizer. I thought there was a price drop of $100 pp! Nope, Princess just took the taxes & fees out of the price after originally including them. They need to be consistent - otherwise it's hard to compare.:rolleyes:

I'll bet someone at HQ is monkeying around with the website (again? still!) and there is a transition period where the taxes and fees are in, then out, then back in and they never expected anyone to notice. But of course, the CC Sleuths did. Used to be the final price showed up on the first part of the search (where all you see is the lead-in category pricing) now it appears to be later in the process, after the cabin selection.

Perhaps they changed because the Princess prices looked higher on meta searches against other cruiselines.

We noticed the change, too. But it was changed on some (like Caribbean) but not others (like Mediterranean). We almost jumped on a Dec. cruise because of what we thought was a big price drop. NOT.

We think Princess tried the "everything's included" method, but saw it was not working out competitively when people were comparing cruises with other cruise lines. So they must now be in process of changing back to the "old" method of taxes and fees being additional.

We noticed the change, too. But it was changed on some (like Caribbean) but not others (like Mediterranean). We almost jumped on a Dec. cruise because of what we thought was a big price drop. NOT.

We think Princess tried the "everything's included" method, but saw it was not working out competitively when people were comparing cruises with other cruise lines. So they must now be in process of changing back to the "old" method of taxes and fees being additional.

I thought so too, but wouldn't you think they would put something out on the website to let everyone know - like the "news and announcements"? I too was excited to see a price drop this past week - NOT. I'm tempted to call my "personal cruise consultant" and see what she knows. But then no one may have notified her either. I've found that out before too. It's strange because they made such a big deal when they first announced it. We'll see what happens, I guess. Not making any reservations for next year yet anyway.

Yes someone has been playing with their website and they don't include taxes anymore. Really a shame, liked the idea of seeing one price. Maybe they thought they were losing business because people were comparing to other cruise lines that did not include the taxes, etc. In other words comparing apples to oranges and Princess looked like they were more expensive. If you haven't noticed they also changed the cruise personalizer page also

I just played with the website. Certain destinations and time periods (like Alaska - "a featured destination" is clearly marked including all fees. Looking at sailings further out and not featured - like Caribbean in 2014, fees additional. It's clearly stated, but it is confusing that they're not being consistent in how they're handling fees.

Gov't fees and taxes are added on Princess' web site after making a cabin selection.

When we booked the Royal for 11/3 and Emerald for 1/18 the fees and taxes were included in price BEFORE making cabin selection. A few days ago when checking prices for these cruises it looked like there had been a price reduction but AFTER making cabin selection it showed original price when we booked because fees were NOW included.

Glad I didn't contact TA for a price drop!!!!

I have 4 Saved Cruises on the Princess website. Three of the prices shown are before fees and taxes: one includes them in the shown price. Problem is, on the Saved Cruises page it doesn't mention which pricing format each cruise is. You need to go to that cruises page to see if the price includes fees and taxes. I really don't care which way they show prices, as long as it's consistent for all sailings.

I don't believe that the Princess Marketing department has a clue what they are doing. They started including the taxes and fees in their price, and now they have changed to exclude them. Great way to confuse the consumer.

Also, their prices have been all over the board. One day they go down, then the next day go way up, then down again. We have been monitoring the prices on one cruise that leaves in 5 weeks. There are over 100 inside cabins available and that hasn't changed in several weeks. Yet they decide to raise the price. Go figure.

The EZAir promotions also add to the mystery. People think they are getting a bargain with an airfare credit, but fail to realize that the cruise fares have been raised more than the credit. Princess must think their clients are poor at math.

We have cruised Princess 75+ days per year for the last several years, but will be changing cruise lines if this is how they choose to market from now on.

I don't believe that the Princess Marketing department has a clue what they are doing. They started including the taxes and fees in their price, and now they have changed to exclude them. Great way to confuse the consumer.

Also, their prices have been all over the board. One day they go down, then the next day go way up, then down again. We have been monitoring the prices on one cruise that leaves in 5 weeks. There are over 100 inside cabins available and that hasn't changed in several weeks. Yet they decide to raise the price. Go figure.

The EZAir promotions also add to the mystery. People think they are getting a bargain with an airfare credit, but fail to realize that the cruise fares have been raised more than the credit. Princess must think their clients are poor at math.

We have cruised Princess 75+ days per year for the last several years, but will be changing cruise lines if this is how they choose to market from now on.

I totally agree with your Marketing Dept. comment. Don't think they know what they're doing since some cruises include the taxes and now others don't. Very inconsistent.

I called my cruise consultant and she didn't know anything about it. I guess they don't tell their reps what's going on. Said none of her other clients had called yet. However she did say that when they first came out with the fees included, they had many calls about how expensive the fare was. So they had to explain it to them (apparently no one can read fine print). Anyway, I guess this is what it is...some cruises include fees and others don't. I did tell her that Princess should have something on the website indicating they are making a change back to the old way.

I have 4 Saved Cruises on the Princess website. Three of the prices shown are before fees and taxes: one includes them in the shown price. Problem is, on the Saved Cruises page it doesn't mention which pricing format each cruise is. You need to go to that cruises page to see if the price includes fees and taxes. I really don't care which way they show prices, as long as it's consistent for all sailings.

Same for me with my saved cruises. And now I can't seem to find the 'save' tab when I find a cruise I want to add to my saved cruises. This is on a January Caribbean cruise I was thinking of booking. :confused:

I was on the Princess website today and was browsing the Panama cruise and noticed they are no longer giving a total cost but breaking it down. I did like the total cost, and if its confusing people then put it in BIG BRIGHT letters..flashing even..hehe.

I prefered the total cost in one eye shot.

The booking section changes from day to day. Now the fees & taxes are displayed after selecting "departure date".:rolleyes:

Once again, the deck plan and cabins are displayed showing which are sold out. This is the second revival for that feature.

Archived