Swimsuit Question for Women

Calkacky

I am gonna be going on my first cruise in June of this year to the Carribbean. Since June of last year, I've lost 90 pounds and will still have more to lose when I go on my cruise. The point of me telling you this is because I want to put it out there that whatever I buy will be worn only this year. By the summer of 2014, I plan on being at my goal size. Oh, and one other thing. I can't buy cheaper bathing suits as I have a large chest so I'm looking at tankini tops that range in the $50 and up range.

So all that leads to my question. Do I NEED 2 swimsuits? I plan on being in the water daily. I've read people say you need 2 if you don't wanna wear a wet suit the next day as one doesn't dry out overnight. What are your thoughts?

Thanks!

Yes, if you plan to be in the water every day, I do think you need 2 suits. If you don't mind putting on a wet suit, then maybe you could survive with just one. But what if something happens to that one suit? If you're a difficult to fit size, you won't be able to easily find a replacement. And if you want to be in the water/pool/beach every day, that could be an unhappy trip....

Look for a cheaper 2nd suit. (or 2 cheaper suits) I have a large chest (and have just lost 50+ lbs myself....) I don't actually know what size you are now (but yippee for you!!) but check out Lands End Overstock. They have some nice options for large busts, tankinis, etc. And if they don't fit, you can return them to Sears near you.

First, congratulations on the weight loss!

If you're going to be in the water everyday, I think you're going to want two suits. Personally, I can't stand putting on a wet suit and it can take a full day for a suit to dry after you rinse the salt water or chlorinated water out.

Wow congrats on the weight loss!!

I think you'll want a 2nd suit.

I have a large chest too, and get depressed seeing the prices on the panache, freya etc brand suits.

I did find some on clearance at ASOS.com - they have free shipping both ways so if they don't fit well it's easy to return or exchange.

this is the link to the outlet swimwear (just choose your size on the side) http://us.asos.com/Women/Sale/Swimwear-Loungewear/Cat/pgecategory.aspx?cid=5263

This is the link to DD+ swimwear (non clearance): http://us.asos.com/Women-Swimwear-Beachwear-Fuller-Bust-Dd/s0aei/?cid=10120

Good luck on the hunt!

Congratulations on your weight loss.

I agree you would likely be happy to have two swimsuits if you will be in the water a lot. It feels awful to pull on a still damp swimsuit. :eek:

Wow, congratulations on your weight loss!

Yes if you can, try to bring two suits. There's the dampness issue but also if something happens to the only one you have you are kinda screwed.

Years ago we were on vacation and I was wearing a two piece Lands End swimsuit...I was bending over applying sunscreen to my son's face and kapow!...the hook in the back of the top broke and my top came sliding down my arms!! The poor kid was moritified as was I! It was Girls Gone Wild Mom Edition! :eek:

Fortunately we were on South Padre Island so plenty of surf shops and places to buy swimwear. I did call Lands End that night to order a replacement so it would be there when we got home and they actually offered to overnight it to me to the hotel, which was outstanding but we were about to leave anyway.

Ok y'all have convinced me to get 2 suits. Thanks for the referrals of places to look. Because I'm still losing, I'm putting off shopping for awhile.....kinda. I did find a tankini top at a local place and went ahead and bought it in 2 sizes down. It is very cute and flattering. I have 3 months to take it back if it doesn't work and I will definitely know where I'll be size wise for my cruise by the end of that 3 months. Bottoms and another top can wait till I'm a little bit closer to sailing.

And Hoyaheel....congrats on your weight loss!

Congratulations on the huge loss! Agree with the need for two suits.

I've had good luck finding pieces to put together at swimsuitsforall dot com. Especially like the blouson ones. They carry good brands but also run some sales. Also, last year Kohl's had some nice pieces in various sizes.

Another congratulations on your weight loss:)

And yes, bring 2 suits. I am larger as well.....Kohl's and Beall's have

alot of choices and have sales ALL THE TIME:D

One thing I thought of overnight I meant to add - and that I personally have done repeatedly - is to buy a tankini top in a nice pattern that fits the boobs (I love the DD underwire options Lands End has had in the past) and for the bottom - plain color (black, turquoise, navy) from Walmart or Sears. I've had swim shorts and skirts & plain briefs - those are much easier to fit and cheap options can be found, and they can mix & match with your tops. Good luck!!

I *really* understand the big chest thing. I have been thin with big boobs, had a reduction and was thin with smaller boobs, then gained weight to plus size and gained a lot of the boob size back. And now I'm down to thinner, but still with big boobs (36DDD at the moment). I've pretty much experienced all of it, and if you haven't, you really don't get it. Thank goodness for the internet!!! When I was 16, I had virtually no options for dressing cute, and it's HARD. I've contemplated having another reduction, but it's so much easier to dress them these days, I'm not as concerned. Plus, being married instead of having adolescent boys drooling/mocking makes life a lot easier ;-)

On my last three cruises I never even wore my swimsuit. You might not be in it as much as people say you will.

I only have one, because like you I need good support up top. I'll probably bring a second to Tahiti, only because I do think I'll be in the water seven out of nine days there.

If you only bring one, let it dry ON you for the most part, before you head back to the cabin. It really doesn't need to be rinsed, if you step under the shower after your last swim.....then, drape it over a hanger, and hang it near the airvent in the cabin....it will be dry by the next morning!

Quite honestly, I worry far more about the suit ripping or otherwise being unwearable than I do about it being wet. For the same reason I would never travel with a single bra, I rarely travel with a single swimsuit (at least top).

And I'm someone who doesn't spend a lot of time in or near the water :p If I were planning a Caribbean cruise where many water activities were being planned, I'd be extra concerned about this....

Not sure your exact bra size but FigLeaves.com, brastop.com, and bravissimo.com all have bra sized swim suits. Not terribly cheap but they will fit you perfectly. Make sure to allow 2 to 3 weeks for delivery as you are buying from the UK for all 3.

Congrats on the weight loss!! It's an awesome thing!

I have some 34DDD tankinis that I would be willing to pass along - I'm not going to be able to fit into them by the time I take my next cruise.

Thanks everyone for the props on the weight loss.

I have definitely decided on 2 suits. I like the idea of rinsing it while I'm still wearing it and continuing to wear it until it's dry. However, Hoyaheel, you bring up a good point. I sure wouldn't want to get in a position of not having a back up since I am hard to fit. So 2 it will be.

Blonde1981....thanks for those sites. I will check them out.

Justkiya...you are incredibly sweet for offering. I'm still in a 38DDD and don't think I'll be down to a 34 before my cruise. And, I sure hope the girls shrink to less than a DDD by the time I make it to a 34! :D

Congratulations on your weight loss.

Have you thought about looking on ebay for some swimwear to keep you going while you lose weight.

I got to goal just before Christmas having lost a total of 52 pounds. I have gone down 3 dress sizes from a size 18 ( US 14) to a 12 (US 8), and bought many in between sizes there to keep me going.

I would definitely take more than 1 swimsuit, I take several as I like a choice as well as a dry one :)

I wore my swimsuit every day. I put it on first thing in the morning. I didn't want to run back & forth to the cabin to change between breakfast/bingo/sunning/trivia/etc. I had some cute sundresses from Gordman's I wore over the top.

My daughter needs tops a little bigger. She likes the Nike and Adidas sports bra type. They fit, she can move around without worry, etc. Cheapest on ebay.

I want a miracle suit from Dillard's. It says it instantly takes 10 pounds off.:) Has something to do with the lycra. They are really expensive though, so I'm going to try one on so I know the exact size and then come home & order it from ebay for half the price. They have some of the same styles now in the store.

Great idea about buying mix & match bottoms at a cheaper place !

Archived