Need Help planning -- Denali Tours & Fairbanks

SunnyinDC

Hi - First, I have to tell you all that I've been lurking on these boards for a long time (and posting once or twice), but I am so in awe of vast knowledge and insight you all have shared (and the incredible photography!). I am headed to Alaska this summer on a multi-generational family trip and as we look at excursions, I've run into a bit of a dilemma balancing the desires of my age-diverse group.

This is a bucket-list-type trip for my 75-year-old mother, who is in excellent health and is very young at heart. She and my dad, who has since passed away, were in Alaska 10 years ago and vowed to come back to explore Denali with their grandkids. (They did a 7-day cruise-only from Seattle.) So, my DH, our two daughters (ages 9 & 11), and I are going with her on an 11-day Princess cruisetour from Vancouver. DH and I are in our early 40's.

I can't wait. We're all avid cruisers, but Mom and I are the only ones getting really excited about this at this point. My husband doesn't 'get it' yet -- he'd rather be laying on a Caribbean beach... my girls would rather be doing Europe. So, I'm trying to find excursions that will excite them a little more, include Grandma, while at the same time being mindful that we don't want to break the bank.

My questions:

(1) the Natural History tour in Denali -- I know that many of you will immediately advocate that we upgrade to one of the longer tours. And, given that my mom's main motivation here is to explore Denali, I'm inclined to agree. BUT, I'm worried about a long school bus ride for two pre-teens and a husband who might not be so thrilled with it all. If we all did the NHT together, is there another option that my mom and I could do later together, like an add-on, to see more wildlife? We're at Denali Princess lodge for two full days. Or, does anybody have experience with pre-teens being unexpectedly happy with the bus tours by the park service? How easy is it to just go for a non-strenuous hike from Princess Denali lodge, say at dusk or dawn when we're likely to see animals?

(2) The free sled dog demonstrations by Denali -- can anyone share any information on what actually happens on these? There are other excursions that offer great descriptions of meeting puppies, etc., and I'm wondering if the park service's demo could serve as a no-cost alternative or are the paid excursions really better?

(3) Fairbanks -- we're in Fairbanks for a full day and then our departure day, when our flight doesn't actually leave until 9 pm. Any advice on great things to do there with our group?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sunny

Hi,

Hope I can help with answering a few of your questions. In terms of the tours into the park. You may want to search this site for tour vs. shuttle posts. There are a lot outlining the pros/cons of both. The tours booked through Princess leave from your hotel and have tv screens for closeup views of the animals or you can book a tour through the park - same bus, same tv, but cheaper and leaves from the wilderness access center in the park. On tours, you stay on the same bus for the whole trip. The natural history tour barely goes into the park, so you will have much less chance of seeing wildlife. The tundra wilderness tour goes farther into the park (though still not as far as taking an Eielson shuttle), so it's better than the natural history tour, but you won't see as much as if you go farther.

After reading a lot of the posts last year, we decided on the shuttle buses - you can go farther into the park with these, and you can hop on or off to go for a walk if you want. They are also significantly cheaper. Princess will give you a refund for the natural history tour if you decide to skip it. The shuttles don't have the tvs, but we were fine with this since we brought good binoculars (definitely recommend bringing binoculars). You need to bring your own lunch for the shuttles too (we got box lunches from the princess lodge) and the shuttle bus driver may or may not give you a running commentary. If you are at Princess lodge without a car, you can take a shuttle from the hotel to the Wilderness Access Center where you would pick up the shuttle bus into the park, but you will need to check with the Princess lodge to find out the start times of their shuttle for this season once they open. There really isn't much point in doing the natural history tour and then going back for a longer shuttle because they cover the same road. There aren't really wildlife trails around the Princess Lodge though the scenery is pretty. There are several short hikes around the wilderness access center. For animals though, going on a longer shuttle or tour is really the best chance to maximize viewing. The animals are in the distance though, so it probably depends on your kids interest. There were some young kids on our bus (younger than yours), and their parents had given them a set of binoculars, and they seemed to be having a good time - but it depends on your kids. I think that family also did a hike when they got to Eielson to burn off some energy. There is a visitor center at Eielson that your mother could sit in or look at the exhibits while the rest of you went for a hike depending on how up for hiking she is. The shuttle does stop at several places along the way for bathroom breaks and a short walk around too.

We didn't have time for the sled dog demonstration and had very minimal time in Fairbanks (just did the included Princess steamboat excursion), so I can't really answer those questions.

Hi - First, I have to tell you all that I've been lurking on these boards for a long time (and posting once or twice), but I am so in awe of vast knowledge and insight you all have shared (and the incredible photography!). I am headed to Alaska this summer on a multi-generational family trip and as we look at excursions, I've run into a bit of a dilemma balancing the desires of my age-diverse group.

This is a bucket-list-type trip for my 75-year-old mother, who is in excellent health and is very young at heart. She and my dad, who has since passed away, were in Alaska 10 years ago and vowed to come back to explore Denali with their grandkids. (They did a 7-day cruise-only from Seattle.) So, my DH, our two daughters (ages 9 & 11), and I are going with her on an 11-day Princess cruisetour from Vancouver. DH and I are in our early 40's.

I can't wait. We're all avid cruisers, but Mom and I are the only ones getting really excited about this at this point. My husband doesn't 'get it' yet -- he'd rather be laying on a Caribbean beach... my girls would rather be doing Europe. So, I'm trying to find excursions that will excite them a little more, include Grandma, while at the same time being mindful that we don't want to break the bank.

My questions:

(1) the Natural History tour in Denali -- I know that many of you will immediately advocate that we upgrade to one of the longer tours. And, given that my mom's main motivation here is to explore Denali, I'm inclined to agree. BUT, I'm worried about a long school bus ride for two pre-teens and a husband who might not be so thrilled with it all. If we all did the NHT together, is there another option that my mom and I could do later together, like an add-on, to see more wildlife? We're at Denali Princess lodge for two full days. Or, does anybody have experience with pre-teens being unexpectedly happy with the bus tours by the park service? How easy is it to just go for a non-strenuous hike from Princess Denali lodge, say at dusk or dawn when we're likely to see animals?

(2) The free sled dog demonstrations by Denali -- can anyone share any information on what actually happens on these? There are other excursions that offer great descriptions of meeting puppies, etc., and I'm wondering if the park service's demo could serve as a no-cost alternative or are the paid excursions really better?

(3) Fairbanks -- we're in Fairbanks for a full day and then our departure day, when our flight doesn't actually leave until 9 pm. Any advice on great things to do there with our group?

Sunny

I would not do the Natural History Tour- instead, I would simply take the shuttle to the Toklat stop (this goes in much further than the NHT and costs just $36.25 per person kids under a certain age are free. for entrance to the park and the bus ride. In addition, this is a bus that you can hop on and off wherever you want so if you get tired and want to grab a bus back sooner rather than doing the entire way in and then back out, you get off and wait for the next one going in your direction to head out. Very inexpensive and easier to get in and out if you need to. (I am taking my 6 year old grandson back to do this in June so this is what I opted for). In Fairbanks we are doing the Discovery Riverboat ride which is a 3.5 hour ride to a native Athabascan Village on the river where you can see how they live, and learn about the culture a bit. $54.95 for adults and i think $34.95 for kids. Also going about 1/2 hour further north from Fairbanks is the North Pole where there is a Santa village and he is in residence all year round. At the post office there you can have mail postmarked North Pole! Fun and free. We are also going to the Univ. of Alaska Large Animal Research STation where they have like a museum and also tours to see musk ox, and other large animals like reindeer, etc. This is supposed to be a great tour for $16 each. That is a full day of activities in Fairbanks and a full day in Denali to keep everyone busy.

I am afraid, having done the Natural history tour before and saw 0 wildlife (I was told after the fact that you have to go much further in to see anything) I felt like I wasted 5 hours that day which is why I suggested at least to Toklat and maybe even Eiselson Visitor Center which is still further into the park. Supposedly if you go as far as either of these stops you have an excellent chance of seeing Moose, Bears, Foxes etc.

My questions:

Sunny

Also- the sled dog demonstrations I believe are at 10, 12 and 2pm. We are doing the shuttle to Toklat at 7:30 and it is going to get us back around 1:30 so we will have time to see the 2pm demonstration hopefully if it is on time.

I went to the sled dog demo years ago on my first visit to Denali. It probably hasn't changed much .... the ranger talks about the dogs, their history, the work they do, then hitches a few dogs to a cart and takes it for a spin. We arrived early and got to talk to the ranger and meet the dogs ... there were no pups the year we visited.

This link provides the demo times, and if you follow the link further you'll find the puppycam ... if pups are born this spring you can follow their growth each day until you arrive and see them yourself:

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/sled-dog-demonstrations.htm

You might also want to print out the Park Newsletter for ideas on things to see and do at the park.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/parknews/newspaper.htm

As for the shuttle vs tour, I LOVE the shuttle. Both buses travel the same road, stop at the same rest areas, and stop for wildlife sightings. The shuttle is 1/3 the cost. Read about the specifics in the park web site and on the reservation page. And view the map to see the destinations: http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/visiting-denali.htm

At a minimum go the Eielson Visitor Center ... it only takes 4 hrs to reach the Center, then you have a 30-40 minute break to enjoy the view, see exhibits, walk around, have lunch, then 3 1/2 hrs back to the entrance. I think the time flies by ... I'm always mesmerized by the constant changing sccenery, the vastness, and of course the wildlife viewing. My mother was 80 on our last trip ... she enjoyed every moment. The driver asks everyone to be 'spotters'; the preteens on our bus took that task quite seriously and of course wanted to be the first to spot wildlife.

Fairbanks ... you need a car to get around since it's a sprawling city. Have a look at the town web site for ideas. What activities are included in the tour? Pioneer Park is a nice place to wander around for a few hours and works for all ages. Morris Thompson Culture Center, Museum of the North.

My questions:

Sunny

Have those kids been involved in the trip planning? IF not, then you need to do so. Have THEM find out about tours of interest- they know about "money" give them a range. You need to make some hard decisions about them and if Denali is going to "work". Some kids, just don't want to go, and are totally bored. If they get a little "disruptive", and on a shuttle bus- they likely will be "encouraged, but the serious bus riders to get off the bus.(I was on a bus a few years ago where this happened). Problem is- this is NOT a zoo, wildlife requires binoculars, and most of this transit is based on scenery- which some kids just don't have any interest in. The shuttle bus is free for kids- so may be a plus. Other option would be for splitting up- since you indicate your husband isn't that interested either.

Another issue you need to also be well prepared for, is the kids are likely to be the only ones on your tour. Extremely few go on these cruisetours. Transit hours are long as well, with no stops outside of scheduled. Be certain- that you always have triple the snacks, batteries, games, DVD movies etc with you. If you take them into Denali- stress- appropriate wildlife viewing- silence necessary.

As for your dawn dusk "hike", sorry, not really a good idea to be on a wildlife search on foot. Priority is to avoid wildlife, and give them their space, not going searching for some.

My opinion only. I would get refunds for all the Natural History tour tickets. And add that to your touring budget. You and your mother, plan on the shuttle bus to Eielson. See what happens with the other 3. There are movies, ranger programs/walks, that may be of more interest for your husband and the kids. One recommendation I would suggest is the Savage River guided hike.

The dog sled demo- allows a look at the kennels, gives a brief ranger talk and does a short loop run with the dogs. You can linger at the kennels.

You don't mention it, but if you are going to Talkeetna- I would suggest, you not make the lodge transit more than you have to. If arriving by train, stay there and go to the lodge later.

Fairbanks- needs a car- if you want easy transits between areas and plenty more meal options. Figure out what you want to see and do. http://www.explorefairbanks.com

Hi -

My questions:

Sunny

1) Just my opinion but if you do not do the full day bus trip in Denali, you are wasting your time. Why do you and your Mom have to be joined at the hip with the rest of the family? My wife and I frequently do different things on trips if one of us is totally uninterested in what the other want to do. We have even gone on separate trips several times. There are lots of things that the rest of the family can do by themselves.

2) The advice that you have been given on Fairbanks is good except for the Santa Clause Christmas bit. Skip it - it is a totally hokey town that has renamed itself to get tourists such as you with silly tourist trap types of places - again just my opinion. Between the large animal farm, the wonderful Museum of Alaska and the boat trip - you will have a full day. If you need something else, there is a place that you can do gold panning. The gold panning place is also hokey but it is not stupid hokey. The dirt is salted but you do get to keep all the gold you pan and with the whole group, you should get enough to make a nice bracelet or locket. BTW - North Pole is 14 miles south of Fairbanks, not north of it as been previously posted.

DON

Fairbanks is the second largest community in the state, and I find it difficult to recommend attractions without knowing what interests someone has. In addition to the websites already mentioned check the Fairbanks Daily News-Miner website for their visitor's guide information (http://www.newsminer.com). While they most likely don't have the 2013 guide posted, the general articles from 2012 provide a great amount of useful information.

The Museum of the North on the campus of the University of Alaska Fairbanks is one of the nicest in the state. It is essentially a natural history museum which covers the entire state, but also has a great art collection. Visit their website for current exhibit information (http://www.uaf.edu/museum). The Georgeson Botanical Gardens are located very close to the Museum of the North.

The Morris Thompson Cultural Center (http://www.morristhompsoncenter.org) is a great place to start. Both the Fairbanks Convention and Visitor's Center and the Alaska Public Lands Information Center are located in this facility. In addition to displays regarding Athabascan culture they also offer free films. Remember to have a photo taken under the antler arch.

We also enjoy the Fairbanks Antique Auto Museum. It is absolutely amazing to find such a collection of antique cars in Alaska. Their website (http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com) has some photos, and a number of the cars are the sole existing one identified.

Thanks to donaldsc for correcting the confusion regarding the location of North Pole. To clarify another bit of confusion, I've been to the Large Animal Research Station (commonly referred to as LARS), and I wouldn't describe it as having a museum. It is a great experience for someone interested in biology and who is interested in getting close and personal with a musk ox. There is also a viewing platform off of Yankovitch Road, and frequently the musk ox are right beside the platform.

To clarify another bit of confusion, I've been to the Large Animal Research Station (commonly referred to as LARS), and I wouldn't describe it as having a museum. It is a great experience for someone interested in biology and who is interested in getting close and personal with a musk ox. There is also a viewing platform off of Yankovitch Road, and frequently the musk ox are right beside the platform.

In my opinion a car rental is necessary for Fairbanks, and is especially so, if you want to see the Musk Ox. It is a walk from the museum that is long with many people underestimating it. I always drive by and stop- as this is an interesting, animal. :) I did get to see them in the wild 2 years ago- which was a thrill for me. :)

They have a small gift shop, but also offer short informative tours, that I found very interesting. There is an admission fee.

We also enjoy the Fairbanks Antique Auto Museum. It is absolutely amazing to find such a collection of antique cars in Alaska. Their website (http://www.fountainheadmuseum.com) has some photos, and a number of the cars are the sole existing one identified.

How could I forget the auto museum. It has to be one of the best auto museums anywhere and I have been to a lot of them.

I went to it one day to kill a few hours between other activities. It was so great that I went back the next day and spent half a day there. Then when I went to Fairbanks last winter (yes winter - to do Aurora photography), I went to the museum with my camera and tripod. At that time of year, it was almost deserted so I could take lots of pics.

Don't miss it!!!

DON

I have been going round and round about Denali and still am unclear. Perhaps someone can help me out on this thread.

We are on the (May 18) Sapphire Princess cruise with the 3 day land tour AA3 following. We are currently booked for the NHT tour through Princess and from all I have read --- not worth it. What are my choices?

I have to find out the exact time, but it appears we are there for the morning, certainly not enough time for the TWT.

I am really disappointed that I had not researched this thoroughly before we booked our flights from the Florida. We should have done the 4 day tour!

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Thanks....Barbara

I have been going round and round about Denali and still am unclear. Perhaps someone can help me out on this thread.

We are on the (May 18) Sapphire Princess cruise with the 3 day land tour AA3 following. We are currently booked for the NHT tour through Princess and from all I have read --- not worth it. What are my choices?

I have to find out the exact time, but it appears we are there for the morning, certainly not enough time for the TWT.

I am really disappointed that I had not researched this thoroughly before we booked our flights from the Florida. We should have done the 4 day tour!

Thanks....Barbara

As you have found out, 3 days cruisetours are, many times, poor choices. Most all your time is in transit.

There is nothing, easy, you can do. You arrive too late from Whittier, you know this is a 10 hour trip? IF you want to take a chance- you MAY make a 7am Toklat Shuttle that gets back "around" 1 pm- You can NOT count on these buses being on time, so overall, not an option for you, unless you like risk and can scramble to hook up back at your lodge and your bus. In your case- hopefully you have an interest and tours planned for your time at McKinley lodge- otherwise, it is a sparce area- a 2 hour round trip bus ride to Talkeetna- flightseeing is a popular tour.

A big "waste" of money (pertaining only to what you wouldn't use), could allow you to get into the park- IF you leave the cruisetour, in Denali. You would have to pay for another hotel night and either the train or bus back to Anchorage. Frankly, you may want to consider this- what you have purchased, is a train ride and bus transits. You can get a refund for the NHT- which is more that the Toklat shuttle. 16 miles of public road- or getting into the park to mile 53????

Whittier/Denali

Monday, May 20

Disembark in Whittier and board the Denali Express rail directly to Denali National Park. Enjoy the evening at leisure at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge.

Denali/Mt. McKinley

Tuesday, May 21

This morning, take an educational tour into Denali National Park. Then, travel by motorcoach to the south side of Denali for a night at the Mt. McKinley Princess Wilderness Lodge.

Mt. McKinley/Anchorage

Wednesday, May 22

The morning is free to either relax at the lodge or choose one of the many optional excursions. Continue by motorcoach to Anchorage for the night.

Anchorage

Thursday, May 23

Your tour ends this morning in Anchorage..

Do you have your arrival time on the day you arrive in Denali or the time you leave on the next day yet? If so, your best bet is to look at the denali shuttle website: http://www.reservedenali.com/ and see if there is a shuttle or tour that matches up with the times. Most likely during your morning since the train gets there pretty late. Not sure if you would be able to fit in in with you departure time, but it is worth checking. It looks like the Toklat shuttle and tundra wildeness tour are running on the days you are there. Also, have you already paid the final deposit? If you have the airfare but haven't paid the final deposit for the cruisetour, you could check to see if there is another 3 day cruisetour with longer time at Denali that you could switch to.

Thanks....Barbara

What I would do it to eat my losses, cancel anything that I can cancel, and do it right.

DON

Do you have your arrival time on the day you arrive in Denali or the time you leave on the next day yet? If so, your best bet is to look at the denali shuttle website: http://www.reservedenali.com/ and see if there is a shuttle or tour that matches up with the times. Most likely during your morning since the train gets there pretty late. Not sure if you would be able to fit in in with you departure time, but it is worth checking. It looks like the Toklat shuttle and tundra wildeness tour are running on the days you are there. Also, have you already paid the final deposit? If you have the airfare but haven't paid the final deposit for the cruisetour, you could check to see if there is another 3 day cruisetour with longer time at Denali that you could switch to.

I've referenced this information in my above post. The train gets in about 5pm- nothing available into Denali. They likely will load up after the AM NHT- I have the only option, listed- IF they want to take significant risk. This is all assuming, they are not willing to change or dump some of this package. There otherwise, isn't much of anything that can fix this.

With a May- tour- yes the deposit would have already been paid.

The biggest problem, is the approx times won't be available until about 30 days prior. This also is the first runs of this tour, so, they won't be able to find out from previous people. When they do get the times- IF they are lucky enough to get a late afternoon, departure- they could- maybe book a bus.

What I would do it to eat my losses, cancel anything that I can cancel, and do it right.

DON

This would be my priority as well. But it isn't a popular decision and few people do it. Nobody wants to loose money- but clearly my time is way more valuable. Everyone is different.

Thanks all...

Budget Queen, trying to talk husband into your plan. Not much interest in the McKinley Lodge area. Denali is what I am most interested in. I need to understand your suggestion fully. In the meantime I had called Princess directly and found out we were indeed unable to do the TWT. I also have the times for each day.

Sat., May 25 ..... arrive Denali Lodge, 6:15 pm

Sun., May 26 ..... leave Lodge, 2 pm ..... arrive McKinley, 4:30

Mon., May 27 .....leave Lodge, 2 pm ..... arrive Anchorage/Seward, Capt. Cook Hotel

So, are you saying, stay Sun. and then rejoin on Mon. ?

Thank you for helping me...Barbara

:confused:

DON

Don,

I wish we could do that, it takes two to agree tho...and we are not there. Thanks!

Barbara

My questions:

Sunny

Great Land Tours - contact Steve Busby - FANTASTIC - will customize to whatever you want and can do all inclusive or parts thereoff

Great Land Tours - contact Steve Busby - FANTASTIC - will customize to whatever you want and can do all inclusive or parts thereoff

You have gone with this operator? Post your experience, which would be extremely beneficial for alternative planning.

You have gone with this operator? Post your experience, which would be extremely beneficial for alternative planning.

YES - last year May. We flew into Anchorage then drove to Seward - Glacier/Kennai cruise - to Valdez across Prince William sound - to Macarthy (St Elias/Wrangel Mountains) and Kennicot - this area is AWEsome - Somewhere here we crossed the Thompson Pass - AMAZING - Did glacier flight, Dog sledding and helicopter flight - couple of days Denali. We had bears,moose, river otters,sea otters, porcupines,caribou everywhere - Buzz knows (or at least seemed too) EVERYONE in Alaska and we were warmly welcomes everywhere - one of the best trips we have ever done - picnics by waterfalls - and can he spot animals!! there were 6 or us in a 12-seater van - he even has great music on his pod!

Budget Queen......unfortunately we are going to stay with what we have. The anxiety changing the plan would have on my husband is just not worth it, he is too much of a worrier. Oh well! Just want to thank you and not take up any of your time with something that is not going to happen. We might just have to come back!

Barbara

PS .... used to live downstate from you in Orange County, NY.

Archived