Shorts Question - Ladies

Calkacky

Okay, I need some advice from those of you have been there, done that. For you ladies who have cruised to the Carribbean in the summer, are jean shorts (bermuda length) good for general hanging out time or is it too hot for those and I need to be looking for something more lightweight? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

I've got a couple of pairs of shorts in heavier weight fabric and they sit unworn all summer long ... If you go for a denim, find one that is lighter weight. I do wear those in the worst of the heat.

I do sometimes take a short denim skirt with me but wear it on the journey home, so I just hop off the ship and into the car and we are home not an hour later so its comfortable enough and am not bothered about being dressy at 6.30am.

I wouldn't wear jean shorts for all the reasons mentioned.

I'm wearing jean capris right now in South Florida. They are a very light weight, lighter than some twill capris I have.

The one thing I know about touring in hot climates though is that if you are wearing a dark-toned fabric, the sun can heat up that fabric so much it almost burns your skin. In the summer here, I don't even wear dark color pants, or capris in the car for long trips because the sun makes them too hot right through the car window.

I agree about the jean shorts to the knee would be too heavy and hot in the Caribbean in the summer. The summer temperatures don't change all that much but it gets very much more humid and heavy denim would not be comfortable. IMO

I bring denim shorts, but they're a lightweight denim and mid thigh so not too hot. I wear them during the summer outside at home so they're okay for a cruise too. I don't really rewear them though and bring a lot of sundresses for daytime because I find them cooler than shorts.

I do wear denim shorts on the ship but not when running around in port. As fans of my earlier thread, "Do your thighs chafe?" know, I have heavy thighs and if I wear lightweight shorts, they ride up between my legs and look terrible. I wear the denim because it stays put. I wear capris in a lighter weight fabric when it is hotter or I am running around a lot.

Okay, I need some advice from those of you have been there, done that. For you ladies who have cruised to the Carribbean in the summer, are jean shorts (bermuda length) good for general hanging out time or is it too hot for those and I need to be looking for something more lightweight? Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

Made that mistake once and never again. :( Glad you asked.

I guess I'm the oddball. :p I wear the bermuda style denim shorts all the time on vacation. Perfectly comfortable to me - love the stretch denim.

I wear Bermuda style too...(longer) but I prefer cotton....they look like

a "cargo style" but not tons of pockets;)...I have quite a few pairs

that are cotton and I love them:) and there are lots of different

weights in denim. I have a couple of pair of denim shorts

but I really like the cotton ones. You are not odd and as long as you

are comfortable? That is what matters.

Another advantage to denim shorts is the pockets for your sea pass, etc. Some of the other shorts only have tiny slit pockets.

All my shorts have large pockets, including some that are zippered. It's very easy to find nice, nondenim, shorts with good pockets. I bought mine at Sports Authority.

Another advantage to denim shorts is the pockets for your sea pass, etc. Some of the other shorts only have tiny slit pockets.

Depends on the shorts for sure:) all my shorts have pockets...more

than "slits". My non-denim all have pockets that are more than a slit:D

Archived