Just below the Knee shorts for teen/young man in Italy churches

socaltrvr

Our family is taking a Mediterranean Cruise with stops to Venice, Rome and Barcelona this HOT and Humid summer and we will be visiting some churches. I know rules for nothing above the knees and my DH will be ok to wear zip off pants, however my DS (will be 17 ) will not even come close to them (he must think they’re made of kryptonite). I don’t want him wearing jeans because a grumpy too hot kid is no fun at all. I was thinking I’ve seen some shorts that are a little longer, like just below the knees. I know he won’t have an issue wearing that with a nice collared cotton shirt, sneakers with no show socks of course. Is this ok?

Here's a link to Fodor's on dress guidance for churches. It sounds like some churches will not allow you in wearing shorts.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/proper-attire-in-italian-churches.cfm

This is probably a good opportunity for your son to learn about respect of some institutions :) There's probably going to come a day when he'll have to wear long pants for a job interview!

Our family is taking a Mediterranean Cruise with stops to Venice, Rome and Barcelona this HOT and Humid summer and we will be visiting some churches. I know rules for nothing above the knees and my DH will be ok to wear zip off pants, however my DS (will be 17 ) will not even come close to them (he must think they’re made of kryptonite). I don’t want him wearing jeans because a grumpy too hot kid is no fun at all. I was thinking I’ve seen some shorts that are a little longer, like just below the knees. I know he won’t have an issue wearing that with a nice collared cotton shirt, sneakers with no show socks of course. Is this ok?

My husband and I visited Italy (not on a cruise) in August of 2010, he wore shorts everyday, his shorts all covered his knees.

We are bringing our 3 sons (22, 18 & 13)

on a Med cruise this summer and they will also wear shorts. My sons wouldn't be caught dead in shorts that don't cover their knees but that might be a style thing that is regional, lol.

My dh did wear very nice shorts and a polo shirt every day, they were not athletic shorts, they were khaki and cargo type shorts.

I wore skirts of varying lengths but all covered my knees and I always wore a short sleeved shirt but carried a large lightweight scarf tied to my purse.

This is a vacation and you should have fun, shorts that cover the knees will absolutely be ok and not inappropriate at all.

My husband and I visited Italy (not on a cruise) in August of 2010, he wore shorts everyday, his shorts all covered his knees.

We are bringing our 3 sons (22, 18 & 13)

on a Med cruise this summer and they will also wear shorts. My sons wouldn't be caught dead in shorts that don't cover their knees but that might be a style thing that is regional, lol.

My dh did wear very nice shorts and a polo shirt every day, they were not athletic shorts, they were khaki and cargo type shorts.

I wore skirts of varying lengths but all covered my knees and I always wore a short sleeved shirt but carried a large lightweight scarf tied to my purse.

This is a vacation and you should have fun, shorts that cover the knees will absolutely be ok and not inappropriate at all.

I'm curious if you went into St. Peters, as I have often seen young men and boys wearing shorts at the knee or just slightly lower turned away. And the grumpy looks on the ones who have to wear a big scarf around their hips to get in, assuming Mom has one. Or the grumpy looks from the parents who have to purchase a wrap nearby (trust me, they make good money selling them)....

As a mom who has traveled all over with my son, I wouldn't want to risk not being able to get in to places like St Peters (Rome) or St. Marks (Venice) where I know they are pretty serious about the dress code of "no knees and no shoulders". In other churches, they may not be so vigilant about it, but I believe one should still respect the local rules, even if there isn't someone sitting at the door to enforce them.

We were in Japan for two weeks in the summer, where it is VERY hot and humid just prior to the start of their rainy season. But shorts are frowned on in the city, so DS knew that if he wanted to go (the trip was mainly for him), then he'd have to wear pants. And he did. ;)

Here's a link to Fodor's on dress guidance for churches. It sounds like some churches will not allow you in wearing shorts.

http://www.fodors.com/community/europe/proper-attire-in-italian-churches.cfm

This is probably a good opportunity for your son to learn about respect of some institutions :) There's probably going to come a day when he'll have to wear long pants for a job interview!

Thanks but It’s not a matter of not knowing how to dress for an interview, or dress well. He dresses very well. It’s a matter of walking all day in 100 degree weather. He would rather wear long pants than zip off pants, I was just wondering about longer below the knees shorts and a nice collared shirt. If no one has seen this type of longer shorts in the churches, then he will wear pants. It’s that simple. Where I live in all our Catholic churches we see lots of men wearing dressy shorts with collared shirts in the summer, it’s not looked down upon as disrespectful, and it’s actually a norm. He would never wear shorts to an interview that is silly, but he would wear shorts in the summer, if he is walking, hiking , or vacationing. :)

I'm curious if you went into St. Peters, as I have often seen young men and boys wearing shorts at the knee or just slightly lower turned away. And the grumpy looks on the ones who have to wear a big scarf around their hips to get in, assuming Mom has one. Or the grumpy looks from the parents who have to purchase a wrap nearby (trust me, they make good money selling them)....

As a mom who has traveled all over with my son, I wouldn't want to risk not being able to get in to places like St Peters (Rome) or St. Marks (Venice) where I know they are pretty serious about the dress code of "no knees and no shoulders". In other churches, they may not be so vigilant about it, but I believe one should still respect the local rules, even if there isn't someone sitting at the door to enforce them.

We were in Japan for two weeks in the summer, where it is VERY hot and humid just prior to the start of their rainy season. But shorts are frowned on in the city, so DS knew that if he wanted to go (the trip was mainly for him), then he'd have to wear pants. And he did. ;)

We did go to St. Peter's and also St. Marks ... maybe we were lucky or his shorts were long enough, they don't "just" cover the knees they actually covered his knees. We actually had to shop the streets of Venice the night before our tour of St. Marks, since the airline lost our luggage, lol. We were able to find appropriate shorts for him and a long skirt for me. And we are both tall so length can be a problem for us.

Like I said it may have been luck for us but we didn't even get a second look, we were on a private tour so maybe they didn't look too close, lol.

When we spoke to our tour guide I, of course, asked him if my husbands shorts were long enough. I had many pairs of slacks for him, but our tour guide assured us that he was fine and dressed appropriately for the churches. I did see other men wearing the sarongs so maybe their shorts were "short"

Thanks but It’s not a matter of not knowing how to dress for an interview, or dress well. He dresses very well. It’s a matter of walking all day in 100 degree weather. He would rather wear long pants than zip off pants, I was just wondering about longer below the knees shorts and a nice collared shirt. If no one has seen this type of longer shorts in the churches, then he will wear pants. It’s that simple. Where I live in all our Catholic churches we see lots of men wearing dressy shorts with collared shirts in the summer, it’s not looked down upon as disrespectful, and it’s actually a norm. He would never wear shorts to an interview that is silly, but he would wear shorts in the summer, if he is walking, hiking , or vacationing. :)

They are still a little more formal in Europe than Americans are. You won't see many Europeans wearing shorts in the city. At a resort, or in the country, it's fine of course. But they are used to seeing Americans in shorts.

I would just have a "Plan B" if he wears shorts because he may not be allowed in to the places I mentioned "as is". The sign there clearly illustrates no shorts for men. Here's the one at St. Peter's:

http://www.doomling.com/images/i_spb2.jpg

Or maybe he could wear the very European "manpris", lol....

Few European men or women wear shorts on city streets and not to St. Peter's or St. Mark's.

We have seen male travelers wearing shorts turned away trying to enter Cathedrals and Bascilicas. He will be taking a chance he will not be allowed entry. As long as he knows that......

We did go to St. Peter's and also St. Marks ... maybe we were lucky or his shorts were long enough, they don't "just" cover the knees they actually covered his knees. We actually had to shop the streets of Venice the night before our tour of St. Marks, since the airline lost our luggage, lol. We were able to find appropriate shorts for him and a long skirt for me. And we are both tall so length can be a problem for us.

Like I said it may have been luck for us but we didn't even get a second look, we were on a private tour so maybe they didn't look too close, lol.

When we spoke to our tour guide I, of course, asked him if my husbands shorts were long enough. I had many pairs of slacks for him, but our tour guide assured us that he was fine and dressed appropriately for the churches. I did see other men wearing the sarongs so maybe their shorts were "short"

So a blanket statement that he will be fine is rather risky.;)

.............Where I live in all our Catholic churches we see lots of men wearing dressy shorts with collared shirts in the summer, it’s not looked down upon as disrespectful, and it’s actually a norm. ...............

That may be so but Europe is different. As others have said, just be prepared that he may not be admitted.

We saw people turned away, mostly women, for bare arms, maximum cleavage exposure shirts.

I saw women turned away at St. Anthony's in Padua (side trip we took from Venice) Went into Scrovegni Chapel also....

BUT, when we went into St. Marks...we had gone all the way back to our hotel for my husband to change to pants....and then sawat St. Marks noone was paying attention to men in shorts...it was more the women who were wearing too little...

I always took a superlight sweater in my bag....which weighed little...when touring in Europe...just in case!

We did end up buying a pair of convertible pants for m husband...for our next trip....

We bought advance tickets for St. Marks- just one Eur each on line...and breezed past huges lines to be admitted without waiting..I took a pic of the line..I gotta go back and look at what people were wearing...

Bernadette

We were at Notre Dam a couple of summers ago and saw loads of folks turned away for being dressed inappropriately, (sorry to say mainly American tourists).

I would encourage him to wear lightweight pants just for the trips to the religious sights. Perhaps he could take shorts with him in a day sack to change back into if he is against the "convertible" trousers.

It's a cliche but when in Rome.........

European weather can be unpredictable in the summer. I may well be cooler than you expect.

Regards

Susan

European weather can be unpredictable in the summer. I may well be cooler than you expect.

Regards

Susan

Possibly but DD has spent the past three summers in Rome and it has been miserable. 90F and 90%humidity (or so it seemed).

T

Or maybe he could wear the very European "manpris", lol....

"manpris" very European and probably a very good compromise ... not very easy to find in the US but urban style shorts are very long. Which is what my husband and sons wear. Like I said I think that the style is possibly a regional thing as we do live in NYC and urban styling is what is in fashion here. Shorts from Ecko are always below the knee, try Columbia or The North Face for convertible shorts if you are really concerned, they don't really look like they are convertible and you could have the "legs" part in your purse in the event he gets stopped.

Whatever you choose .... Have an amazing time!!!!!!

I've been on several tours of churches in Spain and Italy. I've always worn the new style shorts than are just below the knee, and there has never been a problem. There is no reason to wear full length pants or "man-pris" if you don't want to. Especially in the middle of summer. It seems that the main concern is that you must have your knees and shoulders covered, no exceptions. And they don't seem to care how dressy or casual your cloths are, as long as your knees and shoulders are covered.

We lived in Rome and took many visitors to St Peters those 3 years. Best way around your son is what I saw 2 girls do when turned back for wearing shorts. They stepped well to the side and proceeded to pull lightweight loose pants out of their back packs and pull them on over the shorts. The guard gave a crooked grin and let them in. The further south you go the more rigid the rules even in small churches. St Marks is a odd one as a basilica but their guards rarely look at clothing. And if you have Istanbul and the Blue mosque on your trip..no shorts at all.

have cover up paper to use to cover arms or legs at the door.

For Istanbul, I wore long lightweight pants, and a long-sleeve top I had bought by the House of Mary. I even brought my own head covering- did not want to borrow!

I brought a tank top with me and switched to heat by the end of the day when we were at Topatki Palace.

SO glad I did....

I don't understand why people believe they must wear shorts when it's hot and humid in order to be comfortable. I did a week in Egypt and wore my long pants (albeit convertibles, but never "converted") and long sleeved Ex-Officio Airstrip shirts. Felt fine. Even discovered the wonders of evaporative cooling - when I sweated, it cooled me off...

If the son won't wear convertibles, many of the same companies that make those also make long pants of the same material. He could have the long pants without the "ugh" of convertibles.

Is it really worth the risk?

You know the bus ride from the port to Rome is hours. Are you willing to take the risk that your son will loose the opportunity to visit the churches because he had shorts on? I really don't intent to offend other posters but I would not take the advise of the posters here when some had a problem and others did not. You just wont know until it is too late.

What we did. My husband is a large man and sweats easy. He prefers to wear shorts on walking tours. The bus driver stays with the bus and they tell you that you can leave belongings in the bus... So in my backpack I put in a pair of long jogging pants for him, the kind that is lightweight. He was able to slip them on right over his shorts and after our tour of the churches he slipped them back off. I had planned to put them back on the bus but they were so lightweight it did not weigh my backpack down so I never bothered.

You know I did see others with shorts but just my opinion I felt that it demonstrated a lack of respect and was glad my husband was dressed as he was.

Archived